• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.huffpost.com

A Union At Medieval Times? Indeed, M’Lord.

Employees at the chain's New Jersey castle have launched a union campaign aimed at improving pay and safety at a surprisingly dangerous job.
Working at the famous dinner-theater chain Medieval Times comes with some unique occupational hazards. For instance, sometimes a guest who has emptied one too many goblets of booze starts banging the Middle Ages-style plates and bowls together.

Clanging the heavy dinnerware can spook the horses in the arena, endangering the knights as they joust for the queen's honor. It often falls to the queen herself — a mic'd-up actor on a throne above the pit — or her chancellor, Lord Cedric, to gently admonish the overzealous crowd, all while keeping in character: Please, m'lord, don't bang the plates.

"You can hear it backstage sometimes, it's so loud," said Purnell Thompson, a stablehand at the Lyndhurst, New Jersey, location. "We've had people thrown off their horses from the horses getting spooked. There's only so much you can do to keep them under control at that point."

Safety concerns are a big reason Thompson and other Medieval Times employees in Lyndhurst are trying to form the chain's first union, workers told HuffPost. They have been organizing their location with the American Guild of Variety Artists, an AFL-CIO union that represents performers at theaters, theme parks and touring shows, including the Radio City Rockettes and entertainers at Disneyland.

The knights, squires, show cast and stablehands of Lyndhurst will vote July 15 on whether or not to unionize under an election overseen by the National Labor Relations Board. Around 40 workers would be included in the union. (Food and administrative workers appear to be employed under a separate corporate entity and would not be part of the bargaining unit.)
HuffPost spoke to three workers supportive of the organizing effort, who said they want to be treated like the professional entertainers they are. They said the pay at Medieval Times tends to lag behind comparable industry work, with many performers starting around the New Jersey minimum wage of $13 per hour and working years before reaching $20. And they believe some workers end up with crucial tasks, such as handling horses, without sufficient training.

Every two-hour show at Medieval Times requires careful planning and rehearsal. The knights are essentially stuntmen, leaping from horses and smashing wooden lances on one another's shields as they joust. The show includes complex dressage movements, as well as a falconer who handles a bird as it flies through the arena over the crowd. Performers often do two and sometimes three shows a day.

"They treat it like a normal job, and it isn't," one worker, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of retaliation, said of the company. "Today [managers] will call us a sports team; tomorrow they'll call us a theater. But we are treated like a business, like a normal 9-to-5 job."

With limited security at the shows, performers are the ones left to enforce boundaries and police the crowd — including when guests reach out to touch the falcon as it flies overhead, endangering the bird and themselves. And workers say the rotating cast of queens is subjected to unwanted touching during pre- and post-show meet-and-greets with fans, especially with so many bachelor parties on the weekends.

"If you mix children, alcohol and animals, it can be a very interesting situation if you don't have enough eyes on it," explained another worker. "Not having enough event staff, that puts a lot of people at risk."

The employee recounted a well-known incident during a rowdy Saturday night show when a drunken woman in the crowd made her way up to the throne and tried to grab the microphone attached to the queen's face, requiring the queen to fend the woman off on her own. A police officer was in the castle on duty, the worker said, but he was trying to keep watch on the entire crowd.

The worker wants to see a greater security presence, especially on weekends.

"It feels like the customer experience so greatly outweighs not only our employee experience but our safety and our well-being," the employee said.

Thompson, 25, said he and his co-workers are passionate about their jobs and wound up at Medieval Times because they love their craft. He has spent much of his life around horses and helps tend to the two dozen at his castle, each with its own personality. Most guests don't understand the amount of preparation that goes into a show, he said.

Three issues he hopes the union can force the company to address are safety, pay and "respect."

"They treat a lot of the professionally trained actors like anybody can do this job," Thompson said. "They treat a lot of the stablehands like we're fully replaceable and they consider it an entry-level job. I've worked entry-level animal care jobs. This is not that. You can get hurt or die doing this."

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
workers should have the right to throw annoying guests into an arena and let them fight their way out

Aug 9, 2021
They should also demand to serve period-accurate food! Last time I was there, they served potatoes with the meal!

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can't believe they are still around. how in the world did they survive the era of covid?

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I vividly remember going there during a high school field trip back in the 90's and was told to call our waitress a "wench."

I refused to do so and called her, "miss."

The dinner show was fun though.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, having finally gone to a Medieval Times as an adult a few years ago, it's a pretty fun time. It was exactly the kind of goofy not-at-all realistic local-fair-puts-on-a-talent-show kind of thing I wanted it to be and those people absolutely deserve a fair wage and to be treated like entertainers and performers.

We were not told to call our server a wench though.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
"Texas Workforce Commission?!"
qRpjRyx.jpg

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I vividly remember going there during a high school field trip back in the 90's and was told to call our waitress a "wench."

I refused to do so and called her, "miss."

The dinner show was fun though.

Yep same when I went at that time. They finally opened one here in Arizona so I want to take my daughter. I checked and man it seems expensive

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I vaguely remember that happening too? I've admittedly been there a bunch but never kept track of that particular element so I can't say if it was dropped. Basically everything's in character there so I guess that would fit into the general theme of medieval times as poorly interpreted by pop culture. I don't think they'd be pressuring the guests to call their Coca Cola "witches' brew" even if they don't want to.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact, I applied to work here one month before the COVID lockdowns started. Thank GOD I wasn't hired. Still sucks to hear this. Medieval Times is a big part of my childhood and it's awful how bad the workers are treated.

can't believe they are still around. how in the world did they survive the era of covid?

It's always been very popular here on SoCal

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Always wanted to go to one of those, I'm surprised they still exist. I first learned of them in the scene in The Cable Guy.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the unique selling proposition. There aren't a whole lot of places where you can pay to watch people swordfight while you eat some chicken. I mean, I guess maybe there are places where that's more common, but I don't live there.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
We just went there last week. It's fun. The people working there definitely deserve good working conditions and pay.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
They sell video game sword replicas there too if I remember correctly. Like you could commemorate your visit by buying a Master Sword.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Good for them. The performers are the only good thing about Medieval Times.

The food is garbage. A terrible poorly seasoned Turkey leg and a baked potato.

The 🍹 are even worse. Just disgusting and undrinkable.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good for them. The performers are the only good thing about Medieval Times.

The food is garbage. A terrible poorly seasoned Turkey leg and a baked potato.

The 🍹 are even worse. Just disgusting and undrinkable.

Turkey leg???

Here in SoCal it's a half chicken. And I remember back in the 90s it was a whole Cornish Hen. Those were the days...

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Turkey leg???

Here in SoCal it's a half chicken. And I remember back in the 90s it was a whole Cornish Hen. Those were the days...

I went a few times as a kid in the 90s and also remember a whole Cornish Hen. Last time I went was in college, probably about 15 years ago and the partial chicken. Also, I remember the sword fighting looking so much cooler and more real as a kid.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
One is Dallas is fun, went there for my nephews birthday and he had a blast.

And yes the employees there are top notch so good for them.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I've only been twice my entire life, but it's great fun. We just went for my 2nd time a couple weeks ago. Food is good, you get a bowl of creamy tomato soup, the bread wasn't bad, and the half chicken had a good flavor to it.

Service was top notch with things coming out quick with the show, drinks were on point, and the show was a lot of fun even though our team lost.

Want to do the pirate adventure next, but definitely with these guys forming a union and making work conditions better for this great experience.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've only been twice my entire life, but it's great fun. We just went for my 2nd time a couple weeks ago. Food is good, you get a bowl of creamy tomato soup, the bread wasn't bad, and the half chicken had a good flavor to it.

Service was top notch with things coming out quick with the show, drinks were on point, and the show was a lot of fun even though our team lost.

Want to do the pirate adventure next, but definitely with these guys forming a union and making work conditions better for this great experience.

If you're talking about the Pirates one in Buena Park, I wouldn't go. Show was very meh and the food made us all sick.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Turkey leg???

I went a few times as a kid in the 90s and also remember a whole Cornish Hen. Last time I went was in college, probably about 15 years ago and the partial chicken. Also, I remember the sword fighting looking so much cooler and more real as a kid.
Me too. I went once in the 90s and it was a whole chicken.

Also, one of the waiters yelled at me, a 10 year old kid, for staring at one of the busty waitresses. Kinda scarred me for life in some way I'm sure. I'm sure he was joking, but I was a fucking kid and that shit causes psychological damage.

Also, I didn't know they were still around either. I haven't seen one like ever.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Medieval Times was way more fun than Wild Bill's Wild West Extravaganza. Those employees put their lives on the line working in armor and with animals. Pay them.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
my friend worked there for a while and she told me the customers were the absolute worst. I believe it

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
People get slapped at Mcdonalds over Mcnuggets, I can only imagine a place that encourages being a drunken ass

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
my friend worked there for a while and she told me the customers were the absolute worst. I believe it

They really, REALLY need to set limits how many drinks you can have before the show. Never experienced any incidents myself, but I've heard that so many people are absolutely shitfaced before the show even starts.

In that case, the food at Medieval Times should give you botulism and cholera.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
The absolute fuck?

Anyway, good on them for unionizing. Seems like the train just won't stop.

No joke, that is what they call them.

Last time I went there a few years ago, the waitress wiggled her boobs in my face. This is a family restaurant lol. Pretty sure it was the management that encouraged them to do this to get better tips. Good for them for unionizing.