• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been watching "Cobra Kai," finally. Great show. This may be addressed in future episodes, so please don't spoil it for me if so, but about halfway through season one, it seems Johnny's alcoholism is pretty much shown as "I am sad/frustrated so I drink now." I've seen this many times, of course, but it's not quite accurate to what alcoholism actually is. He comes across as more of an alcohol-dependent person rather than an actual alcoholic.

What are some shows/movies/whatevers that actually explore alcoholism in a realistic way, where that's not actually the main aspect of the piece of media?

Like, speaking from personal experience, it doesn't really matter what kind of day I had. I will drink every day by a certain time regardless of the circumstance, barring some sort of work requirement.

As an addict, I'm just curious to see some media that knows what it's talking about regarding this issue and handled it well. My first thought is "Shameless," followed maybe by Tigh's ark in "Battlestar Galactica." Just curious.

Last edited:

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, he's never really described as or shown to be an alcoholic. He is obviously drinking as a coping mechanism for his shitty life, but I never really got the impression he is dependent/addicted to it.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Ben Affleck was fantastic in The Way Back. It's a run of the mill sports movie, and tbh if Affleck wasn't in it I would have no interest in watching it again, but that was a personal role for him to take due to his own battles with alcoholism and he nailed it

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Leaving Las Vegas comes to mind as an extreme example of life-ending alcoholism.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Patrick Melrose is what you're looking for

(also the best show of 2018 hands down)

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
Ben Affleck was fantastic in The Way Back. It's a run of the mill sports movie, and tbh if Affleck wasn't in it I would have no interest in watching it again, but that was a personal role for him to take due to his own battles with alcoholism and he nailed it

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Mickey Rourke in Barfly is a lot...looser (but couldn't really be helped, given the source material), but is very memorable and well-done nontheless.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The Wire? McNulty's drinking absolutely trashes him at times, and he's a functioning alcoholic most of the time.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Wire

Craig Fersuson Show when he properly defended the public abusing Britney Spears by speaking on his own alcoholism

PlateOfShrimp

Apr 16, 2020
Sounds like I need to check out Leaving Las Vegas. I don't usually hear that one come up when people mention Nic Cage.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
The Wire? McNulty's drinking absolutely trashes him at times, and he's a functioning alcoholic most of the time.
BigLimitedAfricangroundhornbill-small.gif

OP
OP
UltraMav

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, he's never really described as or shown to be an alcoholic. He is obviously drinking as a coping mechanism for his shitty life, but I never really got the impression he is dependent/addicted to it.

True, and I may be projecting my own spiral into alcoholism on the character. It started as a crutch to get me through "hard times" and then just... kept... going.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

100% I don't think it's run of the mill either.

Smashed is another good one.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I don't think it ever specifies alcoholism, but The World's End springs to mind. The script makes me think that the writers (credited to Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright) were close to someone who was struggling with addiction.

Slashkice

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't expect it at all based on the trailers, but Colossal with Anne Hathaway did a good job of this.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Celeste hints at it in a nice way

I also think that the way it is framed from a kid's perspective in Captain Spirit is good too

Last edited:

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Leaving Las Vegas comes to mind as an extreme example of life-ending alcoholism.

Leaving Las Vegas is a cartoon. A good friend drank herself to death just after 30 and never drank like that once in her life. My cousin's old roommate's girlfriend drank even closer to moderately and died earlier, at 28 I think.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a few years now, but I felt like Shameless did a solid job of showing Alcoholism for the scourge that it can be.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
Leaving Las Vegas is a cartoon. A good friend drank herself to death just after 30 and never drank like that once in her life. My cousin's old roommate's girlfriend drank even closer to moderately and died earlier, at 28 I think.
Leaving Las Vegas is based on an autobiography. Not everyone has the same tolerance and experiences.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
Pain And Gain is based on a true story, too.
I know people who have survived consuming near that much alchohol into their 40s before dying. It isn't some comedy or cartoon. It's on the extreme end, but it isn't as if people don't seek slow death by the bottle in such a fashion. I mean would you say Keith Moons story is a cartoon, or ernest hemingways, who consumed at least 3 whole bottles of liquor each day?

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
First Reformed displays it pretty realisticly in the background rarely calling attention to it.

Leaving Las Vegas is hurt by the unrealistic ending.
Shit ain't that quick or easy

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Flight.
The West Wing with Leo.

Someone link the scene where he says he can't have 1 drink, he needs 10.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Spectacular Now is an interesting one. I worked in dev when that came through and almost got fired by arguing with the studio head about its viability.

Still one of the best scripts I've read.