• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Super smart, specially community members that know how to use the tools and want a way to get into the industry

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
This is awesome!!
Haven't played it in a while, but i love this game so much.
Really glad they're gonna hire small dev teams.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the sales and critical acclaim of MM's prior games I don't think this is an issue for Sony. This isn't counting the fact that MM is a fraction of the size of most AAA developer teams. It's not like there are 500 developers working on Dreams.
How big are they nowadays? Still around 50 people? I mean their last smash hit was 8 years ago. Tearaway bombed hard and Dreams seemingly is taking forever. Don't get me wrong, I am excited about Dreams and I think it's very important to have such creative games around and I wish them all the best in the world that it becomes a success. But in the end it has to be profitable to live during next-gen.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I am not a creative person at all so the draw of Dreams for me to to play other player's created content. This is a really cool way of going about developing new pieces of content for the community. MM seem to be having such a fun time creating this game.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
How is this team allowed all this leeway? It must be good working for Sony.

It helps that reportedly LittleBigPlanet made more money than most of the exclusives on the PS3. It's long tail mixed with microtransactions apparently made loads and loads of money. I remember hearing talk about this on an industry podcast around 2015 or so. Can't remember which one now.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic news and a real unprecedented approach in this industry. I had a feeling something like this might happen. Would be great to also see folks like Tim Schafer, Mike Bithell or Swery direct a game in Dreams.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you can port games from Dreams to any other platform. They'd have to make a Dreams client on PC itself. Dreams handles modelling and "programming" very differently from traditional engines.

I can't wait to see what this initiative brings. There are plenty of people that already have made multiple polished game experiences that are quite as good as what MM themselves have put out.

Right, that makes sense — there's nothing like their engine. I really did hear something in that realm but the recollection is so vague that I'm probably totally misremembering. I do think it would be wise for them to make a type of desktop client eventually. A restricted one built around breakouts of very advanced development functions that can then be imported back into Dreams.

That's too much to ask right now, but it goes along with my hope that Dreams is treated like a free (with Plus) indie game engine on PS5. I think eventual mouse and keyboard support on the console version could be a good compromise.

It likely won't happen, right, but my ultimate dream (pun not intended) is Sony embraces Dreams as a creation engine to the extent that high profile full game experiences can be submitted for store approval and get to exist as a separate game application purchasable on the store. It would be very clear it's a Dreams game, and partial revenue would go to MM and Sony as you'd expect, but it would be treated like it's own game — albeit one very clearly built within Dreams' design language.

This is overly optimistic and I think the more reasonable best-case scenario is Dreams adopting (as others have said) a Roblox model so creators can profit off of their work, and be encouraged to make more.

This is a delicate line to walk though because the spirit of Dreams is that creators share their creations (even mechanics and gameplay design) to build up the potential of the entire community. Locking too much stuff off is kind of antithetical of that.

I think there'd need to be some sort of way of ensuring they make at least a portion of their original content remixable. But then again, remixing is one of the toughest logistical complications in this whole idea since people are making their games partially with other peoples' assets. Would original designers of certain assets, music, mechanics, physics, etc. get royalties for their contributions? This could encourage more creators to make remixable content, which is great... but what if their creation is a remix of someone else's? How far would it daisy chain back? And how do you divide that revenue? Does a 3-minute musical composition have equivalent value to a highly detailed model of a gun? What if a car model and it's driving physics were used, but the final game swapped out that creators' car entirely and only built off of their physics as a base? What if you reuse one asset a thousand times, but another for just a single scene? Etc etc ad infinum.

I don't envy being the people trying to figure that out.

But I truly think it would be a waste for Sony not to cultivate Dreams as a real proprietary creation engine for indie developers. Empowering amateur (or even experienced!) indie developers to create within Dreams (making exclusive PS titles) rather than Unity or Gamemaker, etc. is a no-brainer for Sony imo. Especially with how much more accessible it is (with a much much lower ceiling, obviously).

I'm not advocating for Sony's revenue and exclusivity opportunities here, but rather I know that's what needs to happen for Dreams to reach its full potential as an engine that democratizes game development, making it accessible for nearly anyone with the time and will, who otherwise never would have realized their vision. That to me is extremely valuable for the fulfillment of a great deal of people, and could contribute greatly to the variety of unique perspectives in game design and digital storytelling.

If you're inclined to reply saying I'm crazy and way too idealistic, just know: I get that. You don't need to say it. I don't expect most of this to come to fruition.

But... it's nice to dream ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: just thinking what if assets you create had prices attached but you didn't pay until you decided to monetize your game? Like, everything is free if your creating something free, but if you go through some approval process to "publish" your full experience for sale, at that point you have to pay all the creators a one time fee (rather than royalties down the line). Like royalty free music purchases irl. And doesn't Unity have an asset store that kinda works like that? I don't know enough about all that to really comment, I guess. I don't know why I'm even trying to workshop this hahahaha

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So this is a contract position that requires you to work at Media Molecule? Seems kind of risky, haha.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How big are they nowadays? Still around 50 people? I mean their last smash hit was 8 years ago. Tearaway bombed hard and Dreams seemingly is taking forever. Don't get me wrong, I am excited about Dreams and I think it's very important to have such creative games around and I wish them all the best in the world that it becomes a success. But in the end it has to be profitable to live during next-gen.

Sony also supported the Last Guardian well beyond what any other major company would have done. If a game seems like its going to be special and really add something to their line up then Sony will support it above and beyond. I'm guessing they view Dreams in the same vein and on top of that the potential for such a game is gigantic. The sky's the limit and if they play their cards right and with a good amount of luck they could have a massive games creation platform exclusive to them.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is how you build a platform alright.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
But why? Why not Sony itself just hire small developers to make small games. And then charge us to play them? How is this making any money? None of this makes sense.

They want Dreams to sell. Playstation doesn't need small exclusives to sell.

Selling games in Dreams would be awful, but a donation system could work.

Oct 25, 2017
This is their staff.
www.mediamolecule.com

Media Molecule - Creators of LittleBigPlanet, Dreams and Tearaway

We're a game development studio based in Guildford, UK. We make games, like LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2 and Tearaway.

And I wouldn't worry about the financials. LBP made MM a lot of money.

But why? Why not Sony itself just hire small developers to make small games. And then charge us to play them? How is this making any money? None of this makes sense.
It is more about the potential.

Dreams being used as an engine, collaboration with devs, exposure, etc...

I'm pretty sure their most recent financial report, from 2017, had a healthy operating profit.
Indeed.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I'm assuming Sony is deploying whatever engine they are creating for devs to use in the future and sell games. Because I have no idea why they are spending this much money on this game otherwise.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming Sony is deploying whatever engine they are creating for devs to use in the future and sell games. Because I have no idea why they are spending this much money on this game otherwise.

Because the game could become a gigantic game creation platform akin to something like Roblox or Minecraft if they play their cards right.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I'd prefer them to be able to publish good projects done independently in Dreams honestly. I mean publishing them outside of Dreams.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is cool. There's already a bunch of great stuff uploaded and being worked on but this is a good way to guarantee more and potentially larger scale dreams.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Hopefully these teams make something besides statues that are either carbon copies or are reminiscent of other games.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
So will they release the games made in Dreams separately for purchase? Or is it that you need a copy of Dreams and then pay additional money for the games? Or will they offer discount to those who already own a copy and then charge full for those who don't?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So will they release the games made in Dreams separately for purchase? Or is it that you need a copy of Dreams and then pay additional money for the games? Or will they offer discount to those who already own a copy and then charge full for those who don't?

So far this sounds like you buy Dreams and that's it.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Sony should probably also look into providing art schools and game design/development courses with PS4/Dreams kits. Game is an amazing prototyping tool and would be really great as a learning environment, as well.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony should probably also look into providing art schools and game design/development courses with PS4/Dreams kits. Game is an amazing prototyping tool and would be really great as a learning environment, as well.

I've actually said in other topics that Sony should just give this game away with PS4's (or PS5's) to all kinds of children's groups whether its related to gaming or not.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Sounds like a lot of effort for one game that you pay 60€ once for. Any official plans to monetize this game? Like selling games/content inside the "Engine"?
I'm sure there will be monetization. MM made a lot of money from LBP dlc.

There are no official announcement, but I'm guessing MM will sell 'asset pack' as dlc. Right now they have free update that give you ancient times themed asset, it include a fully rigged character, and a bunch of model that you can use to make a level.

It reminds me of lego approach, MM can sell various themed asset pack in the future. Maybe even licensed stuff too, like avengers dlc or something

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Such a great idea. Encouraging and nurturing creative talent is always a wonderful idea, and I love that Dreams is as accessible as it is to many would be designers/creators that maybe don't have access to quality tools to realize their visions.

Media Molecule is a gift to the gaming industry. You know how some filmmakers are so in love with films that may make movies that are love letters to the film industry? Media Molecule is like a game developer that is in love with making games, so they make games that are love letters to making games.

Oct 27, 2017
Does Dreams require PS+? If so if this becomes huge this is the money Sony makes. People forget that the biggest MS's moneymaker costs 20$.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
It's good Sony is not trying to kill their teams. Shame about Evo and Motorstorm though. I just don't understand why that company was cut even with the issues.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
So glad they are doing this, they are addressing the number one problem with this kind of games, quality content. I don't see it being sustainable but... I approve!

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool. Can't wait to see what comes out of this. Good stuff is few and far between in Dreams right now, but I'm really excited to see what kind of stuff we have a year from now.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
This move is now making me more curious about how Sony handles BC on PS5. And if PS4 PSN transitions or gets legacy treatment and all meaningful stuff has to be moved .