• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I overestimated 3D World a bit, but it's not to bad. BD2 underperformed my prediction sadly, since it's a great game.
The big surprise this time was SoS massively overperforming.
Hopefully the issues with SoS are resolved quickly.
I was just about bang on with BD2, but I overestimated SM3DW+BF by almost the same amount that I underestimated SoS 😂

but that means on net it was close to perfect!

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
Your ban was both console warring, sexual depiction, mysoginy and a slew of other offenses all in a single post that was shorter than 3 lines.

You can look it up yourself.
How do you manage to do that?
In this thread and in the UK one. If you think it's selling well good for you. I think it isn't and I have the feeling that many of us were expecting more than what it's doing. Or maybe not since hype was pretty low pre launch.
If you read my previous post about the UK and read through the PAL charts thread, you will see that BD2 is very likely going to be the best selling game in the series.
That is a good performance.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
My bad for saying something bad about Nintendo in this thread. I should've known better. Will keep in mind to not do that again. Sorry everyone.

This is becoming personal now so I'm leaving haha. Glad to clarify my ban to anyone on DM, if you are interested.
Where did you say anything bad about Nintendo? What you did say was something that, at this stage, is totally baseless (with actually, again at this stage, some indications in the other direction, e.g. various eshop placements) about the sales of a game. That is what you were called out for.

As to the reason you were banned, I just had to look it up - let's just say that if I were banned for what you said, I wouldn't call myself "one of the biggest Nintendo fanboys", but that's me. But I choose to believe you that you love BD and care for it. Your reaction reminds me though of (for example) Pokemon fans that were disappointed with the direction of Sword/Shield and so kept looking for signs of failure in its sales from the very first moment (and kept seeing it, regardless of facts).

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I think the claims that people dislike the character design and that will hurt sales are blown out of proportion, at least when it comes to Japan.

The game has been out for like a week. I think the in game art is poor but I dont knowbhow anyone could know these things with like 2 points of data. One from a totally irrelevant country for JRPGs

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
My bad for saying something bad about Nintendo in this thread. I should've known better. Will keep in mind to not do that again. Sorry everyone.

This is becoming personal now so I'm leaving haha. Glad to clarify my ban to anyone on DM, if you are interested.

You didn't say anything bad about Nintendo at all. You made a claim about a Square Enix game that is completely baseless and likely to be the exact opposite of reality, and people rightfully asked you to back up that claim.

This is a weird trend on this board, that whenever anyone says something baseless or counterintuitive and is called on it they say "oh I guess I shouldn't have criticized Nintendo!" Even for things unrelated to Nintendo.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
I personaly dont believe is scalping, but i do beleive that do to the fact of low software sales from the past years means that the peopel playing on ps system are either playing gaas games or olders games and they got the system to play does same games with better performace.

I think you've got the right of it, but it's still so strange to see. Certainly a consequence of blurred generational lines compared to previous generations (even when backwards compatibility is concerned), but it's absolutely wild to me to see the Japanese market reject PS5 software (because PS5 games are doing decently well in the West at least).

Jan 20, 2019
I think you've got the right of it, but it's still so strange to see. Certainly a consequence of blurred generational lines compared to previous generations (even when backwards compatibility is concerned), but it's absolutely wild to me to see the Japanese market reject PS5 software (because PS5 games are doing decently well in the West at least).

In the west everytime the ps5 gets stock the software goes back up imediatly, even games that are available on the ps4 like Spider Man or Sackboy, so there is somethin going on in Japan that we dont know, because it is really weird seending so much hardware for little to no software sales.

I was expecting something like 10k~ WoW until the summer, once they had deal with the demand in major markets, didn't expect 30k to be honest, but im probably wrong and im missing something.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Second week drops:

[3DS] Bravely Second: End Layer <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.23} (¥6.458) - 25.417 / 122.637 <60-80%> (-74%)
[NSW] Octopath Traveler <RPG> (Square Enix) {2018.07.13} (¥6.800) - 21.503 / 131.082 <80-100%> (-80%)

Extra:

[3DS] Bravely Default: Flying Fairy <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.10.11} (¥6.090) - 38.680 / 183.589 (-73%)

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'm surprised the currently 700k-800k people who bought DQXI S didn't show up for another turn-based JRPG by Square Enix. Pokemon is another big turned-based RPG. Guess their audiences don't want to venture out of their preferred series.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Given that the UK chart is pretty static with Call of Duty, Minecraft, Fifa, GTA and first-party Sony/Nintendo stuff, Bravely Default landing at no.11 here is not a sign of anything regarding the series, I'm surprised it registered at all. The previous games didn't do well either, JRPGs rarely do, let alone those with roots on 3DS.

In fact, Bravely Second made it to 12th on it's launch week in the UK in 2016, so if anything, in terms of positions its a mild improvement :D At the time it was also the highest-selling release on a Nintendo platform that week, but the WiiU was dead and the 3DS was struggling, whereas now the Switch evergreens in addition to the usual big hitters make it even harder for a JRPG to register. Anything that isn't a major AAA release isn't really going to shift the U.K. chart and that's not a new phenomenon.

Suffice to say, putting its consistent launch sales (digital will be an increase) down to 'art style' for not lifting those numbers higher is quite the stretch. Just wishful thinking from someone thinking their personal subjective dislike extends to barely-connected sales trends worldwide, let alone two countries with wildly different charts (outside of some of the Switch evergreen stuff).

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The PAL charts thread was just updated and Bravely Default 2 actually hit the Top 10 in New Zealand - and that's one of the few markets you don't see Switch evergreens in the Top 10 week in, week out.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
The way people say stuff without evidence, get called out on it, and then act like the victim is amusing.
memeattempt-nswbd2xxjee.png

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Given that the UK chart is pretty static with Call of Duty, Minecraft, Fifa, GTA and first-party Sony/Nintendo stuff, Bravely Default landing at no.11 here is not a sign of anything regarding the series, I'm surprised it registered at all. The previous games didn't do well either, JRPGs rarely do, let alone those with roots on 3DS.

In fact, Bravely Second made it to 12th on it's launch week in the UK in 2016, so if anything, in terms of positions its a mild improvement :D At the time it was also the highest-selling release on a Nintendo platform that week, but the WiiU was dead and the 3DS was struggling, whereas now the Switch evergreens in addition to the usual big hitters make it even harder for a JRPG to register. Anything that isn't a major AAA release isn't really going to shift the U.K. chart and that's not a new phenomenon.

Suffice to say, putting its consistent launch sales (digital will be an increase) down to 'art style' for not lifting those numbers higher is quite the stretch. Just wishful thinking from someone thinking their personal subjective dislike extends to barely-connected sales trends worldwide, let alone two countries with wildly different charts (outside of some of the Switch evergreen stuff).

First week sales were comparable to Bravely Default's. It's hard to judge the performance based on UK figures, though. The first one sold 1,4m ww (and almost a million outside Japan) even if sales in UK didn't look that great.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo is accumulating stock for Monster Hunter Rise launch or are they having supply issues in Japan in general?

With regards to PS5 software there is a good chance that people are subbing to PS Plus and PS Now and getting games through those services. In addition, sales ratios might have dramatically increased for digital sales (which I don't believe Famitsu tracks); digital sales have been growing on all systems in Japan but I believe the acceleration has been faster on Sony platforms and pandemic might have pushed it even higher. The only other scenarios I can see are either that people are so captivated by AstroBot that they buying the system for that (as amazing as Astrobot is, I don't think it has the Wii Sports level of novelty to cause that) or people are buying the console just to play older PS4 games they already own (again doesn't make too much sense). So my bet is they are going with the subscription services and increasingly purchasing digital.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I wonder if Nintendo is accumulating stock for Monster Hunter Rise launch or are they having supply issues in Japan in general?

With regards to PS5 software there is a good chance that people are subbing to PS Plus and PS Now and getting games through those services. In addition, sales ratios might have dramatically increased for digital sales (which I don't believe Famitsu tracks); digital sales have been growing on all systems in Japan but I believe the acceleration has been faster on Sony platforms and pandemic might have pushed it even higher. The only other scenarios I can see are either that people are so captivated by AstroBot that they buying the system for that (as amazing as Astrobot is, I don't think it has the Wii Sports level of novelty to cause that) or people are buying the console just to play older PS4 games they already own (again doesn't make too much sense). So my bet is they are going with the subscription services and increasingly purchasing digital.
A bit of both.

Dec 2, 2019
Switch selling under 50k next week is almost a lock.

Thousands of OG Switch units are being distributed like crazy while we speak!

The PAL charts thread was just updated and Bravely Default 2 actually hit the Top 10 in New Zealand - and that's one of the few markets you don't see Switch evergreens in the Top 10 week in, week out.

Well, even if it was first in that weird chart, surely the actual numbers would be still relatively small?

I think the game will do well at the end (I'm also playing it and it's awesome), probably selling just like the original on the 3DS, but it's good really, I don't think they did anything in particular to expect the sales to be significantly better than the first one.

I'm fine with the chibi style, though I would have preferred the insanely good one they utilized for the monsters.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Digital sales are really not high in Japan unless it's online\gaas\dlc

Software sales are poor of the titles released.
Currently ps5 is selling due to anticipation, and games are either PS4, upgrade, ps plus , and f2p

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
First week sales were comparable to Bravely Default's. It's hard to judge the performance based on UK figures, though. The first one sold 1,4m ww (and almost a million outside Japan) even if sales in UK didn't look that great.
Totally, the UK figures are a terrible barometer for the industry as a whole outside of confirming which franchises are huge worldwide. It's not like the numbers are massive when it's a small fraction of one region, we've just given them credence over the years due to the chart being more easily available for a largely English board.

Last edited:

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020

I think it's a combination of all of these.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nier keeps trucking along with the legs

surprised nier replicant getting out of stock on Amazon frequently

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Best case scenario for PS5 software situation is a sizable part of its hardware stock being redirected at other Asian countries.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
i thought BD2 was having stock issues? famitsu says 60-80% sell through, surely that means there wasn't much sellouts. perhaps sales picked up a few days after the tracking period or...?

the launch here is pretty low as expected but i'm completely shocked to hear it made the NEW ZEALAND charts of all places?!?! like, i've seen new mario game launches not make the top 10 there, that is insane.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
i thought BD2 was having stock issues? famitsu says 60-80% sell through, surely that means there wasn't much sellouts. perhaps sales picked up a few days after the tracking period or...?

the launch here is pretty low as expected but i'm completely shocked to hear it made the NEW ZEALAND charts of all places?!?! like, i've seen new mario game launches not make the top 10 there, that is insane.
The game is probably available at smaller towns and stores, maybe it´s sold out were the population is bigger and were people often do their shopping at.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Also as much as i don't agree with a certain post circulating rn... i DO think art direction will have a fairly strong limitation on bd2's sales. usually issues with art direction (see xenoblade 2 or pokémon) are waaay overblown here, and don't affect sales that much. but i have genuinely never seen such hideous (and widely considered so) characters in a big game like this, it was such an instant turn off. i tried showing some irl friends the game and they completely dismissed it based off that alone.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

The BD account tweeted there was store sellouts. Some stores are still in stock though so they said try those stores or go digital.

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017

The tweet from the official account talking about stock problems is from 2days ago. It looks like the stock problems started after the tracking period of this week's Famitsu.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020

3D World was #1 at launch in NZ, but immediately fell out of the top 10.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Also as much as i don't agree with a certain post circulating rn... i DO think art direction will have a fairly strong limitation on bd2's sales. usually issues with art direction (see xenoblade 2 or pokémon) are waaay overblown here, and don't affect sales that much. but i have genuinely never seen such hideous (and widely considered so) characters in a big game like this, it was such an instant turn off. i tried showing some irl friends the game and they completely dismissed it based off that alone.
I agree. It's obviously hard to gauge that stuff, and maybe the artstyle doesn't actively hurt sales on a wider scale, but maybe it limits its potential and its appeal to a bigger audience. It's hard to know, but I don't think you can dismiss it.

It's like saying games like Origami King aren't hurt by the new approach. Maybe it's not since it's selling well, but who knows what a critically acclaimed game with better WoM could have done comparatively.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I understand what Chris wrote, what i cant understand is why whould Sony keep increasing the hardware for a country that doesn't buy software, it just doenst make any sense, you whould think the oposite whould happen.

There's still unmet demand in Japan, so they still have to supply stock to try to meet that even if some/a lot of that stock gets siphoned off by scalpers/exporters.