• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Come on, don't act dumb.
I don't see your point. Why don't you elaborate seeing as you're the one accusing him of being a troll? He didn't expect such a gap and I think I remember the talk in the last thread where others didn't either. I certainly didn't expect the ps4 version so high and I'm pleasantly surprised.

magash

Nov 6, 2017
Nigeria
If those figures were reliable it would paint a good picture for Japan/Asia and an absolute terrible picture for US + EU.
Honestly speaking this is my major concern for the series. I have this sinking feeling that Monster Hunter World 2 might sell a lot less than Monster Hunter World 1 on account of waning interest in the West.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
contexcuses
Honestly speaking this is my major concern for the series. I have this sinking feeling that Monster Hunter World 2 might sell a lot less than Monster Hunter World 1 on account of waning interest in the West.
Capcom already said Iceborne sales were proportionately much higher in Asia versus World iirc.

I wonder if we'll see the dreaded F-word used here?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Onimusha also is, and yet they released a remaster. DR isn't too farfetched, though it's possible Uncle Phil went and payed for another brand new DR game instead :P
With Onimusha they wanted to test waters if there is still interest for the IP. There is nothing to test with Dead Rising.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
There are actually a few more. Ps4 got beat the ps3 for million sellers by quite a bit and there's potentially another on the way with ff7.

That's why PlayStation will continue to get certain games as exclusives.

Uh yes, a "few more". Could you kindly name some of them?

To everyone else- I know who I'm responding to. I'm just curious about the thought process behind his gimmick.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I don't see your point. Why don't you elaborate seeing as you're the one accusing him of being a troll? He didn't expect such a gap and I think I remember the talk in the last thread where others didn't either. I certainly didn't expect the ps4 version so high and I'm pleasantly surprised.

The franchise has been historically on PlayStation platform.
This game is the sequel to a game that was on one of the platform, but not the other.
The game also seem to have been undershipped on switch.

Sane and reasonable people (Aka non blind brand cheerleaders) were expecting 2:1 ratio like the one we got.

All in all, it's not a bad result given all the caveat, and this is just bad faith to pretend to be surprised, and this is beyond dumb to use this particular example to prove that some games should stay exclusive to Playstation.

Now i'll stop there, and use ignore list

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Good start for P5S, it might outsell P5R in the long run.

Switch hit by shortages really hard, what a shame.
Considering 244k isn't a super high bar after already passing 150k, it wouldn't be too surprising if it did, but one would imagine people are more willing to buy what is, for story purposes, a canon sequel to Persona 5, rather than an updated version of the original game with more content that 517k people already bought between PS3 and PS4. Heck, I'd be surprised if most even knew Koei Tecmo were the devs on P5S.

magash

Nov 6, 2017
Nigeria
contexcuses

Capcom already said Iceborne sales were proportionately much higher in Asia versus World iirc.

I wonder if we'll see the dreaded F-word used here?
Yeah... I hope that the success MHW 1 got might translate to a higher sales baseline for the series in the West. The competition in the West is way too fierce and brutal. But like I said, my mind isnt at ease. I hope my fear is irrational.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

The problem is that you are assuming they are posting in good faith but if you knew about the poster's history then you would know it's an elaborate concern troll/console war attempt.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Considering 244k isn't a super high bar after already passing 150k, it wouldn't be too surprising if it did, but one would imagine people are more willing to buy what is, for story purposes, a canon sequel to Persona 5, rather than an updated version of the original game with more content that 517k people already bought between PS3 and PS4. Heck, I'd be surprised if most even knew Koei Tecmo were the devs on P5S.
Usually the Persona updated versions sold very well, about on par with the vanilla entry in Japan.

P5S being promoted as a sequel was a good move but it doesn't follow the story of Royal which released 4 months earlier and have some big challenges to the formula.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Dengeki has some data about multiplats (Switch / PS4):
  • Week 1 - Nintendo Switch: 42.8% / PlayStation 4: 57.2%
  • LTD - Nintendo Switch: 55.6% / PlayStation 4: 44.4%
(Those are total sales of the 78 multiplat titles).

Basically, multiplat titles usually sell more on PS4 at launch, but Switch versions have better legs. Nothing new there.

dengekionline.com

【週間ソフト販売ランキング TOP50】PS4『ペルソナ5 スクランブル』が11.9万本(2月17日~23日)

PS4版『侍道外伝 KATANAKAMI』が1.3万本で3位、PS4用ソフト『デイメア: 1998』が0.7万本で9位を獲得した。

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User warned: antagonizing other users
Like seriously people- how long are we just going to pretend that Kerotan is just an aww shucks I just really like Sony poster? Its not even that subtle.

But without them this would all be boring, apparently. According to them.

I disagree personally but they're definitely convinced and committed.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I suspect that a lot of people bounced off of World but not enough to be a real concern. World has sold 15 mil, if World 2 sells 10 mil on PS5/XSX/PC that's still Capcom's second best seller ever.

• LTD - Nintendo Switch: 57.2% / PlayStation 4: 44.4%

Basically, multiplat titles usually sell more on PS4 at launch, but Switch versions have better legs. Nothing new there.

dengekionline.com

Interesting data.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Eh, Chris did make a bizarre comment that first week pre-order numbers or something was 60:40 in favor of PS4 for Persona 5 Scramble. I didn't believe it of course as the series was likely to be way more heavily PS4 favored, but I can see why information like that could make people think the Switch version would have put up a better fight.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that you are assuming they are posting in good faith but if you knew about the poster's history then you would know it's an elaborate concern troll/console war attempt.
Why would a concern troll/console warrior refrain from engaging with an another concern troll/console warrior?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Eh, Chris did make a bizarre comment that first week pre-order numbers or something was 60:40 in favor of PS4 for Persona 5 Scramble. I didn't believe it of course as the series was likely to be way more heavily PS4 favored, but I can see why information like that could make people think the Switch version would have put up a better fight.

It wasn't a bizarre comment...? It was info coming from sources in the retail industry. Of course, info must be taken with a grain of salt, not because they are wrong but because they are based on a limited sample or they refer to a specific moment.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
There are prediction receipts so I don't get where the "people thought P5S Switch would sell closer to the PS4 version" is coming from. Everyone knew the PS4 version was going to sell at least double what the Switch version would.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
  • LTD - Nintendo Switch: 55.6% / PlayStation 4: 44.4%

dengekionline.com

That's very interesting data. Makes sense, as the Switch is a quickly growing platform where people buying the console will pick up games long after they release while PS4 basically has its set audience who will buy the games they're interested in as they release.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
That was sinobi based on amazon first day and not a bizarre comment and I've saying 2:1 ratio for weeks for everyone who watches.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
That's very interesting data. Makes sense, as the Switch is a quickly growing platform where people buying the console will pick up games long after they release while PS4 basically has its set audience who will buy the games they're interested in as they release.
I don't think it's really about age or lifecycle. PS4 games have always had notoriously weak legs.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure if you add Famitsu's Digital Estimates you'll see that PS4 is still moving a lot more software than Switch.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
001. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne - 742.043 <01> (Capcom) {06/09/2019} [DLC]
002. [SWI] Pokémon Sword / Shield - 737.560 <00> (Pokémon Co.) {15/11/2019}
003. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne Master Edition - 387.443 <01> (Capcom) {06/09/2019}

If these estimates are in any way accurate then Holy shit the ps4 actually got another million seller last year and that's without including the physical sales. How many million sellers is that now?
As many as Wii U. If you count add-on DLC as a separate game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's really about age or lifecycle. PS4 games have always had notoriously weak legs.

Right, but that's probably due in large part to how quickly the Switch base grows compared to the PS4 base, historically. I wasn't really saying it was about age or lifecycle, but more about the rate of new hardware moved in general.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The franchise has been historically on PlayStation platform.
This game is the sequel to a game that was on one of the platform, but not the other.
The game also seem to have been undershipped on switch.

Sane and reasonable people (Aka non blind brand cheerleaders) were expecting 2:1 ratio like the one we got.

All in all, it's not a bad result given all the caveat, and this is just bad faith to pretend to be surprised, and this is beyond dumb to use this particular example to prove that some games should stay exclusive to Playstation.

Now i'll stop there, and use ignore list

You said this yesterday.

"And I say this as a self admitted Nintendo fanboy for the past 30 years."

And then you go onto call anyone who didn't expect this result blind cheerleaders. It's actually 20k more then what a 2:1 ratio would be.

It wasn't a bizarre comment...? It was info coming from sources in the retail industry. Of course, info must be taken with a grain of salt, not because they are wrong but because they are based on a limited sample or they refer to a specific moment.

There are prediction receipts so I don't get where the "people thought P5S Switch would sell closer to the PS4 version" is coming from. Everyone knew the PS4 version was going to sell at least double what the Switch version would.
As the post above said there was talk last week it wouldn't be so one sided for the ps4.
Did you just make a nazi reference?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
As the post above said there was talk last week it wouldn't be so one sided for the ps4.
I don't think anyone is saying it's one sided for PS4 though. It's not as close as some expected, but it's not amazing numbers for any platform.
Context is important in sales discussions.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
come on, dude, even you can do better than this.
46k unities on Switch made around 2.760.000 dollars in revenue. Do you really think that that's a quantity someone can throw away?
Atlus can point to the ratio not being 1:1 as an excuse not to support Switch with mainline Persona if they are that desperate to cling to their de facto exclusive ways.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Hands up if you've been banned for console warring in the past.

It's a real shame that the outbreak has affected sales in Japan. I guess it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I don't think anyone is saying it's one sided for PS4 though. It's not as close as some expected, but it's not amazing numbers for any platform.
Context is important in sales discussions.
Personally I think the total number switch + ps4 is quite impressive. Probably over 200k with the more profitable digital sales counted too.

On a side note, with the increased risk of corona virus are consumers more likely to buy digitally?

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Scramble did well on Switch. There's no spinning this. It's a spinoff sequel to a game that is associated with Playstation.ofcourse the game will sell better there but ultimately I think the Switch version will get pretty close if you factor in legs and worldwide sales. It also shows that leaving out a Switch version is limiting your sales and at this point it doesn't even matter anymore which type of game or IP it is.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not entirely convinced there is actually a money deal for Persona exclusivity anymore. It might just be Atlus being phenomenally stupid.
I don't see much reason for PS4 exclusivity if P5 isn't incentivised. And the same for SMTV on Switch.

This isn't like the era when you had to choose between DS vs PSP vs HD or 3DS vs the PS ecosystem. PS4 and Switch are close enough they can share technology, engines and toolsets, and almost every Japanese AA dev has done so as a result. The SMT/Persona split might've had a rational reasoning outside 1st party approaches at one point but not really now. And no, blanket stupidity isn't a realistic justification here.

That said I think the Nintendo and Sony incentivising didn't just start now either.