• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zanki Zero is a DRPG, it sold about as much as it could. It is Spike Chunsoft's fault to expect Danganranpa number. But I doubt they had such high expectation.

Capcom is literally 1 company.

It's like saying that global warming doesn't exist because winter in Russia is as cold as ever.
But Capcom is the only company that ignores Switch. SE, Bamco, Konami, Level 5 and a bunch of smaller ones are fully onboard.

Last edited:

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
For reference, SE is asking ¥6800 (¥7344 after taxes) for FFX/X-2 on Switch.

It's going to be expensive, and is likely on a 32gb card. Our taxes also raise to 10% this fall. I'm expecting to pay at least ¥8800+.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Zanki Zero is a DRPG, it sold about as much as it could. It is Spike Chunsoft's fault to expect Danganranpa number. But I doubt they had such high expectation.

But Capcom is the only company that ignores Switch. SE, Bamco, Konami, Level 5 and a bunch of smaller ones are fully onboard.
Until we see PES on Switch I'll hold judgement on Konami's commitment

_Dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Astral Chains is even higher

Normal Edition - ¥7.980
Limited Edition - ¥9.980

Collaborations with third parties will be higher priced from Nintendo's own IPs which almost all will play at ¥5.980. Fire Emblem could be the only exception this year.

Judging by Platinum's website it seems that Nintendo co-owns the IP with them.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Until we see PES on Switch I'll hold judgement on Konami's commitment
Konami turned things around a lot with Switch support last weeks. Since they barely care for dedicated gaming anymore two announcements is a big deal for them.

PES is a shadow of the past but also their biggest IP and if it follows they will be 100% on Switch. If neither next entry is on they will likely never try.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Konami turned things around a lot with Switch support last weeks. Since they barely care for dedicated gaming anymore two announcements is a big deal for them.

PES is a shadow of the past but also their biggest IP and if it follows they will be 100% on Switch.

There's little reason to believe they'll skip PES this time after the Power Pro announcement and considering FIFA's sales.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Astral Chain is a niche title. Therefore, the gains by charger 1000 yen more to a small group of players are most likely higher than the losses of not reaching some people.

---

Which Konami announcement for Switch did I miss? They only announced Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu in the Direct, didn't they?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Astral Chain is a niche title. Therefore, the gains by charger 1000 yen more to a small group of players are most likely higher than the losses of not reaching some people.

---

Which Konami announcement for Switch did I miss? They only announced Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu in the Direct, didn't they?

Yu Gi-Oh was announced for Switch recently too.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
And since it tanked maybe it'll lead the Danganronpa team to reconsider their Switch stance (nah).

I don't think Switch would've changed anything about Zanki Zero. DanganRonpa team need to reconsider their stance on the game in general. I'm a massive, massive fan of DanganRonpa and I still don't really "get" the appeal of Zanki Zero and likely won't be buying the western release because it just... doesn't look very good.

It's actually pretty decent sales for a DRPG.

Also DanganRonpa opened to like 25k sales in Japan on PSP iirc. It only sold well once it got good WoM, budget re-release and anime. Zanki Zero seems to be falling at the first hurdle so it would be really strange if they'd bet on it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
There's little reason to believe they'll skip PES this time after the Power Pro announcement and considering FIFA's sales.
PES needs a Fox Engine port though. That's the only reason they might not bother imo.

Well, obviously not every Japanese company has the resources Capcom has. I was just pointing out their healthiness despite for the most part forgoing the Japanese market. Mostly because of how the initial question was worded and to point out that a Japanese company can thrive while not on the Switch if they have the resources to make the big budget games that the western video game market feasts upon. The point remains, if you want Japanese sales, then you better be on the Switch.
Capcom's health is debatable. They were already the smallest of the "big" Japanese publishers and their continual failure in the mobile space has just aggrivated that. They're tiny compared Nintendo, Square Enix, Bandai Namco, even Sega or Konami. And Konami barely makes console games now.

And that's despite Capcom having record revenues and insane sales recently (MHW). Actually they're closer to Koei Tecmo than any of the bigger companies.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Dengeki - Fiscal Year (April to January)

• Hardware: 5.14 million units (-17.7%) / 154.1 billion Yen (-11.2%)
  • Software: 23.16 million units (-16.9%) / 150.7 billion Yen (-13.1%)
  • Total: 347 billion Yen to 304.8 billion Yen (-12.2%)
Hardware:
  • Nintendo Switch: 3.39 million units (+10.9%)
  • PlayStation 4: 1.25 million units (-23.1%)
  • PlayStation Vita: 110 000 units (-50.6%)
  • Nintendo 3DS: 390 000 units (-70.9%).
Software:
  • Nintendo Switch: 12.6 million units (+63.5%)
  • PlayStation 4: 7.79 million units (-13.8%)
  • PlayStation Vita: 720 000 units (-44.2%)
  • Nintendo 3DS: 1 970 000 units (-79%)
Market share:

• Nintendo Switch: 39.9% > 59%
  • PlayStation 4: 35.7% > 33.1%
  • Nintendo 3DS: 20.3% > 5.2%
  • PlayStation Vita: 2.4%
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/879/1879970/

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
Wow at the 3DS collapse. When Nintendo consoles die, they really die. I'd have thought the lack of backwards compatibility on the Switch and it's price would have meant a more gradual decline for the 3DS. Although I guess it is a pretty old and dated piece of hardware at this point and has sold a tonne. End of an era.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Anthem is looking good. Up to 3rd on amazon and second on COMG. I'm feeling more confident in a 100k+ opening at retail.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow at the 3DS collapse. When Nintendo consoles die, they really die. I'd have thought the lack of backwards compatibility on the Switch and it's price would have meant a more gradual decline for the 3DS. Although I guess it is a pretty old and dated piece of hardware at this point and has sold a tonne. End of an era.

The Switch came out two years ago already. The 3DS' death wasn't particularly fast.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It would be the first PES to release on a Nintendo console, no? I remember the ISS games being on Nintendo.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't checked other retailers but looking just at Amazon, Mario & Luigi is 40% off and Persona Q2 70%. Everything that came out last months underperformed or bombed. Nintendo knows what's coming for Kirby but there's nothing that can be done, just wait for the inevitable.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
while it might be a typo, Yokai Watch 3 for the switch would at least do better than the 3DS game (in the west). maybe not by much, but it would be something.

for japan, it would be a good port as it's both games in one, making it a pretty sellable package

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem went to the high end of Nintendo pricing.

Normal Edition - ¥6.980
Limited Edition - ¥9.980

Comparing to ¥4.980 of 3DS it's a 40% rise but it shouldn't affect sales since it has a dedicated fanbase.

Astral Chains is even higher

Normal Edition - ¥7.980
Limited Edition - ¥9.980

Collaborations with third parties will be higher priced from Nintendo's own IPs which almost all will play at ¥5.980. Fire Emblem could be the only exception this year.

As for Japanese expectations, things will be slow for Astral, it will depend heavily on west, Three Houses will be one of the best selling FE, if not the best.

Dragon Quest is the title everyone waits the reveal of price and how high SE will go.
why doesnt Japanese games have a standard pricing? Like three houses and astral chain will both be 60 dollars here and unless AC is like 5 hours long with no content I'd have no problem buying both at that price. But why does it cost more than three houses when FE is probably the top biller between the two?

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
No. WE/PES made it's way to GBA, GC, DS, Wii and 3DS.

I am an idiot. Of course it did. To explain my true dumbness I had tons of fun with the Wii version and using the pointer.

Though to avoid complete humiliation I meant a feature parity version with the PS3/4. It always felt like there was a gimmick to the Nintendo version and it would be similar to the PC version where older builds were used as a base for development. I think we will see a feature complete version this time.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I am an idiot. Of course it did. To explain my true dumbness I had tons of fun with the Wii version and using the pointer.

Though to avoid complete humiliation I meant a feature parity version with the PS3/4. It always felt like there was a gimmick to the Nintendo version and it would be similar to the PC version where older builds were used as a base for development. I think we will see a feature complete version this time.
Up to 2009 the Wii version was arguably the best one

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Other interesting question at this point in which game will sell more copies in the Golden week.

'New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe' or 'Yoshi's Crafted World'.

My personal bet is 'New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe'.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
That's just what happens after your successor is out for a year and is wildly successful. Which systems had a longer, more successful tail than the 3DS after their successor came out?
Many Sony systems.

If Nintendo had dropped 3DS support at the end of 2017 we would be talking for a good and successful transition, the attempt to keep it alive for longer than it could was unsuccessful and a waste of resources.

Last edited:

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There are just four Sony systems that can even be considered, so how many is "many"? I can definitely see the PS2 and PSP having a longer, more successful tail, because the PS3 and Vita were such massive bombs right out of the gate. The 3DS slowing down faster than those post-Switch wouldn't be surprising considering the Switch has been a hit since the beginning.

IMO, the 3DS is seeing a completely normal end of life. The only thing unusual about the 3DS' lifespan is that it peaked early due to the price cut, but it's behaving as expected for the highly successful system that it was until the end. Its "collapse" is natural.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and 99% PS4 have a longer tail from 3DS. Even Vita for the disaster it was has software support for years after its unofficial death and with some important games.

3DS lasted exactly 2 years after Switch launch and the second of them was a year with less than 20 releases with many of them being failures.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and 99% PS4 have a longer tail from 3DS. Even Vita for the disaster it was has software support for years after its unofficial death and with some important games.

3DS lasted exactly 2 years after Switch launch and the second of them was a year with less than 20 releases with many of them being failures.

Number of releases is a very flawed metric because every system and every gen goes differently. Do we have yearly hardware and software totals for every system going back to the PS1 to compare the amount of hardware/software sold every year after the release of the successor?

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan

The 3DS hardware was out of date before it even released. But since it was the only place to play Nintendo Titles, Monster Hunter and Yokai-Watch it did fine. Now without new titles coming out (just ports) it's just ugly out of date hardware. Not surprised in the least that the market turned it's back on the 3DS.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Number of releases is a very flawed metric because every system and every gen goes differently. Do we have yearly hardware and software totals for every system going back to the PS1 to compare the amount of hardware/software sold every year after the release of the successor?
I'm not talking for number of releases. 3DS is beaten hard at software tail sales from every Sony system except Vita. It had a succesful one year after its successor came out and then collapsed.

Even for Vita if you look at Dengeki software totals for FY2018, with 1,5 month remaining 3DS is at 2m and Vita at 700k.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Many Sony systems.

If Nintendo had dropped 3DS support at the end of 2017 we would be talking for a good and successful transition, the attempt to keep it alive for longer than it could was unsuccessful and a waste of resources.

Ever since around the time of Ever Oasis and Hey Pikmin, I've felt these games were a waste of resources. And that was June 2017.

Even made a thread about it when it was still on GAF but many disagreed.

for instance Ever Oasis and Luigi's mansion have basically kept Grezzo occupied for years. Looking back, I'm not sure it was fully worth it.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Let's take Sony's first home console that underperformed in Japan, PS3. PS4 launched the same period of the year with Switch and PS3 with 3DS are perfectly comparable.These are CY retail software sales from Media Create.

PS3
2014 - 7.510.433
2015 - 4.185.655
2016 - 1.629.591
2017 - 225.470

3DS
2017 - 12.008.236
2018 < 2.500.000

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
3DS hardware sales have actually been pretty good since the Switch launch. It's doing comparatively better than DS, and I don't think BC on 3DS alone can explain such a huge discrepancy.

DS
2011 - 657,787
2012 - 68,973

3DS
2017 - 1,662,034
2018 - 535,810
2019 - 51,897 (so far)

PS3 benefitted in its after years by sharing some cross-gen titles with PS4, siphoning sales away from that system for a little bit. I also imagine the PS Store generally being more vibrant than the pre-Switch eShop.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
3DS hardware sales have actually been pretty good since the Switch launch. It's doing comparatively better than DS, and I don't think BC on 3DS alone can explain such a huge discrepancy.

DS
2011 - 657,787
2012 - 68,973

3DS
2017 - 1,662,034
2018 - 535,810
2019 - 51,897 (so far)

PS3 benefitted in its after years by sharing some cross-gen titles with PS4, siphoning sales away from that system for a little bit. I also imagine the PS Store generally being more vibrant than the pre-Switch eShop.

Both DS and 3DS reached a critical installed base very early. DS was above 30m and 3DS is close to 25m. At a certain point they exhausted their potential customer base.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Ever since around the time of Ever Oasis and Hey Pikmin, I've felt these games were a waste of resources. And that was June 2017.

Even made a thread about it when it was still on GAF but many disagreed.

for instance Ever Oasis and Luigi's mansion have basically kept Grezzo occupied for years. Looking back, I'm not sure it was fully worth it.

Hey! Pikmin was good though. (And its not like people are chomping at the bit for an Arzest game on Switch lol)

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
why doesnt Japanese games have a standard pricing? Like three houses and astral chain will both be 60 dollars here and unless AC is like 5 hours long with no content I'd have no problem buying both at that price. But why does it cost more than three houses when FE is probably the top biller between the two?
Because we actually have a free market?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
New Nintendo 2DS LL came out at July 2017.

2017 was in general a big year for 3DS software releases.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
New Nintendo 2DS LL came out at July 2017.

2017 was in general a big year for 3DS software releases.

3DS YTD before New 2DS LL launch was 686,212, so it still did quite well for itself, all things considered. If 2DS never came out, I can't imagine sales would be dramatically lower.

Do the historically lower handheld attach rates apply to Japan too?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Anybody want to talk about the sales potential for the Link's Awakening Remake? I think there's a couple of important aspects to this release:

- The game is a remake of Link's Awakening, which did around 540k according to Gamedatalibrary, and then another 314k for the gameboy color enhanced version
- It's a 2D Zelda, so it's a different series than the 3D Zelda which BOTW is currently raising to new levels

The question is: how much can a remake do compared to the original release, and how much can the awareness campaign that BOTW launched help raise sales for other Zelda projects?

Remake sales potential: To determine this, let's compare a couple of remakes for the Zelda franchise:
- Ocarina of Time:
Code:
N64    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time    386.234    1.143.570    Nintendo    21/11/1998
3DS    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D    182.998    636.571    Nintendo    16/06/2011
- Majora's Mash:
Code:
N64    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask    314.044    601.542    Nintendo    27/04/2000
3DS    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D    236.536    469.082    Nintendo    14/02/2015

To me, it seems that remakes have a decent sales potential, but typically don't sell more than, or even quite on par with, the original release.

BOTW effect: This is the more murky question to answer: BOTW is going to be the best-selling Zelda game in the franchise, quite possibly even when you only take the Switch sku into account. As a result, it's possible that this game managed to raise the awareness of the franchise as a whole. We didn't really see this effect with Hyrule Warriors, but that's a spin-off, so I don't think that proves the non-existence of this effect. A 2D Zelda, being more or less a mainline game, should see more of this effect. However, we have no precedence to estimate the extent to which this effect could raise sales, so ultimately it's anyone's guess.

In sum, I think this remake could do well over 500k: the Switch has massive software selling potential, higher than the 3DS, even. Additionally, I think the BOTW effect could lift sales further. It being a remake will hinder sales a little bit, but the fact that this remake is more transformed in terms of visuals (and presumably mechanics) should raise its relative potential imo. As a result, I think the game could do 800k lifetime.