• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
DS sold 100k+ on a weekly basis from Week 20, 2006 to Week 1, 2007 (33 weeks).

In fact, on Week 19, 2006 DS sold 95.333 units. If we include this week too, then DS sold 100k+ on a weekly basis from Week 9, 2006 to Week 1, 2007 (44 weeks). DS experienced stock issue all year long; if supply had been there, DS would have sold 100k+ during the first weeks of 2006 too.

Stock issues kept going in 2007 too. In Week 2, 2007 DS sold 96.975 but the week after it went back to post 100k+ sales up until Week 12, 2007 and then from Week 14, 2007 to Week 35, 2007.
And Switch is at 13 rn
lmao, yeah that record is not gonna break

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Nintendo is actually losing money with animal crossing? Never heard of a
Game selling so much and so fast that is not as violent as GTA. They need to make movies, tv series, themes parks and anything with the brand. That's non sense. It's a single game on a single platform without paid dlc.
This shit on multiplatform would be doing crazy batshit numbers. More than is doing now.

Edit: before people put words in my mouth, I'm just impressed how this gMe relaunched switch all by itsef.I don defend it should be brought to ps5 or something.
Anyway, It's a pokemon blue/red effect that I never saw it coming again. I was pretty confident AC would go for. 20 million ltd, but 30 and growing? The fuck. Make a disney theme park already.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game selling so much and so fast that is not as violent as GTA. They need to make movies, tv series, themes parks and anything with the brand. That's non sense. It's a single game on a single platform without paid dlc.
This shit on multiplatform would be doing crazy batshit numbers. More than is doing now.
This could be said about every first party game ever.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
but why are we doing this again, ryng? hasnt the switch already beaten it last year? 🤔

Hiska-kun asked for this comparation again, but to make things more interesting (since i believe it'll easy beat it even this year) i'll probabily add 2007 DS next week.

Misread the numbers. 50- 55k + with Digital atleast
giphy.gif

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, but it certainly wouldn't have driven Switch sales past 25M for this FY, that is driven by Animal Crossing, and it's not done yet, there is a chance it sells 30M this FY world wide.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
An Animal Crossing themed section in Super Nintendo World seems like such a no-brainer. It has so much potential in that capacity.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ring Fit actually increasing last week is the biggest surprise this time.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Disgaea 6 seeling 50% more on Switch is very interesting.
Hopefully, someday the fallacy of 3rd parties not being able to find success on Nintendo's console can be buried.

If you care for the audience, the audience will care for your product

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
DS sold 100k+ on a weekly basis from Week 20, 2006 to Week 1, 2007 (33 weeks).

In fact, on Week 19, 2006 DS sold 95.333 units. If we include this week too, then DS sold 100k+ on a weekly basis from Week 9, 2006 to Week 1, 2007 (44 weeks). DS experienced stock issue all year long; if supply had been there, DS would have sold 100k+ during the first weeks of 2006 too.

Stock issues kept going in 2007 too. In Week 2, 2007 DS sold 96.975 but the week after it went back to post 100k+ sales up until Week 12, 2007 and then from Week 14, 2007 to Week 35, 2007.
This is impossible to beat. Absolutely impossible. But in the long run the Switch will still beat the DS LT.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Did a double take when I saw the PS5 numbers to make sure I saw correctly. Hopefully for the people in Japan looking to buy, this positive trend continues for PS5 hardware shipments.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I always find it interesting that there isn't a bigger gap for games like Disgaea 6. Would have figured Switch sales would have been even more dominant.
Most of these franchises have a long history and established userbase on Playstation, even if they've been declining for years. Unlike during the PSOne gen, where almost all Japanese third parties immediately abandoned Nintendo during the SNES -> N64 transition, so it was clear PSOne was the system for their games, the Playstation brand has just slowly lost Japanese exclusives through the years. There hasn't been a similar exodus in the opposite direction, so a lot of the people interested in those games still have a Playstation.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
This is impossible to beat. Absolutely impossible. But in the long run the Switch will still beat the DS LT.

True but Switch will have a longer lifecycle, hardware sales are more spread than your typical Nintendo platform. I don't think it will ever reach DS in terms of total hardware sales but now I can see it going closer to 30m than 25m. Nintendo still has many weapons like price cuts, hardware revisions, new software to keep sales going.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
If Sony can keep supplying 25k a week to Japan then it's not too shabby. I think they should be able to consistently sell what they can supply till say 500-600k before the demand probably slow down.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wonder how many units/week Switch needs to sell for Q1 to end up up YoY despite the ACNH juggernaut last year. Maybe the leader of Team 2021 can answer? Tbone5189
Each quarter has 13 weeks.
Week 13, 2020 (Mar 23 - Mar 29) ended at 1.700.352 units.
Famitsu's Week 1, 2021 (Dec 28 - Jan 03) ended at 312.121 units, which will be subtracted
Famitsu's Week 5, 2021 (Jan 25 - Jan 31) ended at 875.389 units.

So that means Week 6-14, 2021 will need (1.700.352 - 875.389 + 312.121) / (14-5) = 1.137.084 / 9 = 126.343 units per week on average (that's rounded up) for Q1 2021 to overtake Q1 2020.

Edit: I made numbering mistakes.

Last edited:

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
True but Switch will have a longer lifecycle, hardware sales are more spread than your typical Nintendo platform. I don't think it will ever reach DS in terms of total hardware sales but now I can see it going closer to 30m than 25m. Nintendo still has many weapons like price cuts, hardware revisions, new software to keep sales going.
If Nintendo can update the Switch with an iterative successor this year, it could sell to current owners all over again... it would be like the Gameboy Color, really a generation leap in technology and hardware over the original gameboy, but still part of the same platform. Just think if they were able to push 3DS as part of the DS platform, instead of something separate, it could have added to the DS total and would have realistically climbed over 50M sales, though might have left the market in 2016, in time for the Switch.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Is next week the New Mario themed Switch?

Are those gonna spike the numbers even higher than what it has been this year so far?

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
It is also likely limited by production, I mean they already sold 24M units through December, and only had capacity for around 30M from those rumors, so if it gets anywhere near 2.3M in Japan this quarter, it will be pushing all the supply lines it can. I'm honestly much more worried about supply than if Switch can maintain 100K a week, Nintendo has been unable to meet demand at some point in every year that the Switch has been out, and it's absolutely at the peak of demand for the first part of the year right now.

The 30M production report was from September, and if they're saying they're manufacturing 30M, I have to assume that means they intend to ship 25-27M. Right now, I think they're on pace to ship 29-30M for the FY ending 03/31/2021, which suggests IMO that there was at least another production increase up to ~33-35M to start matching NDS quarterlies and have the capacity to hit 30M during a TTM period (and they've now hit peak NDS numbers 2 quarters in a row).

However, with Mario coming in just a couple weeks, sales levels should maintain well into the 100k for a while and with a late feb push of a bunch of games like story of seasons and bravely default 2, I think it can maintain sales into early march just fine. So might miss 100k once or twice in march, but MHR will pick up the slack at the end of the month and I don't think that will go away, remember Pokemon Snap is also april 30th, so that will be counted on the final week as well, since I think reporting will be through may 2nd?

Pokemon Snap will be next FY, reporting will be through March 31st (I think they tabulate data through Fri, Apr 2, and then back out 2 days).

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Switch is just insane, wow. Not much else to say. Very happy for Ring Fit too.

PS5 numbers are much more like it, if that was the new baseline then it'd be in for a first full year beyond most people's expectations I think. Also the global launch date aligned picture is now more positive. It does seem like Sony just spread out the PS4 Japan launch numbers over an earlier period for PS5, which is a fair enough strategy. Lets see how PS5 holds from here.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Passing the 3DS finally is a big win. Switch just has to sell 3 million in 2021 and 2022 to beat the 3DS's final LTD.

How much did the GB and DS sell in the end?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The 30M production report was from September, and if they're saying they're manufacturing 30M, I have to assume that means they intend to ship 25-27M. Right now, I think they're on pace to ship 29-30M for the FY ending 03/31/2021, which suggests IMO that there was at least another production increase up to ~33-35M to start matching NDS quarterlies and have the capacity to hit 30M during a TTM period (and they've now hit peak NDS numbers 2 quarters in a row).

Pokemon Snap will be next FY, reporting will be through March 31st (I think they tabulate data through Fri, Apr 2, and then back out 2 days).
Switch has a chance to sell 2 Million in just Japan this quarter, so yeah 30M is in play for the FY world wide.
Passing the 3DS finally is a big win. Switch just has to sell 3 million in 2021 and 2022 to beat the 3DS's final LTD.

How much did the GB and DS sell in the end?
Around 33M for both, Switch can get there, but it depends on if this revision rumored to come in the fall, will sell to original owners like the Gameboy color, or just get a single year boost like the DSi.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
If Nintendo can update the Switch with an iterative successor this year, it could sell to current owners all over again... it would be like the Gameboy Color, really a generation leap in technology and hardware over the original gameboy, but still part of the same platform. Just think if they were able to push 3DS as part of the DS platform, instead of something separate, it could have added to the DS total and would have realistically climbed over 50M sales, though might have left the market in 2016, in time for the Switch.
If you add 3DS to DS they sold almost 58mil combined in Japan.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
If stock doesn't get REALLY bad for the next weeks, Q1 in 2021 will easy surpass 2020.

We are consistently seeing +100K per week and there are 2 big games to come out.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
am i wrong in thinking that's not a good sign for potential localization? if it flops like that in japan are they likely to bother bringing it to other markets?
Localization chances 0%.
Time to learn Japanese.
There was never any potential for a localization to begin with. I and other posters have been saying for weeks that games aimed at fujoshis are niche even in Japan let alone the world.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
GB did 32.47mil and DS 32.99mil. 33mil would beat both.

Switch could be close to 20 million by the end of March thanks to those bundles. If Switch Pro comes out this Fall it will be having the 3DS by year's end. That would just leave 8 million to go coming off a peak year.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
If you add 3DS to DS they sold almost 58mil combined in Japan.
Yes, I said over 50M because as an iterative successor, it wouldn't catch every DS user that a successor would, and it would have been on sale for a shorter period of time, basically through 2016 and maybe through 1H 2017, but support for the 3DS would have moved over to Switch faster, as iterative successors don't carry the same market saturation levels that a new platform would have, the benefit is that they carry momentum better from the current device and cross gen is a bit easier... Because DS had a very stiff development environment, it wouldn't have made sense to do an iterative successor, as development would have had to be carried between very different architectures, however now and days, engines run on everything, so the developer environment of Switch and it's successor will be very similar, meaning you can make one game and release it on both platforms, similar to PS4/PS5 or Linux and Windows.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
I predict a slight drop the next week to just over 100k, just because I can't imagine the Switch selling more again, and then in the launch week of SM3DW+BF 150k+, also thanks to the Mario edition.
SoS and BD2 will lead to another 120k+ week, I hope. So there might be one or two sub 100k weeks in early to mid March, but not lower than 80k, because of the soe.
MHR week will be huge but likely below 300k.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
Switch could be close to 20 million by the end of March thanks to those bundles. If Switch Pro comes out this Fall it will be having the 3DS by year's end. That would just leave 8 million to go coming off a peak year.
That's why I'm saying the Switch will sell 33mil. I honestly think it's possible even without a new model. The Switch just wouldn't outsell 3DS LT sales this year.