• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Cheap Ring Fit Adventure clone by Bandai Namco releasing this December.

www.famitsu.com

Switch『ファミリートレーナー』12月17日発売決定! お家の中で楽しくアスレチック | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

2020年10月7日、バンダイナムコエンターテインメントは、Nintendo Switch向け新作ソフト『ファミリートレーナー』を2020年12月17日に発売することを発表した。

That's not quite fair, Family Trainer has been a series for almost 35 years, dating back to the Famicom. That said, I think they wouldn't have made this had it not been for RingFit.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Family Trainer had many entries on Famicom but never came back at other systems since then until Wii Fit and Ring Fit success. It wouldn't exist if Nintendo didn't create that market and Bandai Namco is expert at following Nintendo with outsourced cheap rip offs.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Banda Namco Family franchise had some success on Wii:

Family Fishing - 219.260
Family Party: Fitness Fun - 27.050
Family Ski & Snowboard [Wii Select] - 15.197
Family Trainer 2 - 33.215
Family Trainer 1 & 2 - 17.357
Family Ski & Snowboard - 96.001
Family Trainer - 150.372
Family Jockey - 21.047
Family Ski - 123.285

Family Fishing (known as Fishing Resort outside Japan) was developed by Prope and it seems it got the Family franchise attached for marketing reasons.

Oct 26, 2017
4chan-MHW-and-MH-Switch-leak-1.jpg

4chan-MHW-and-MH-Switch-leak-2.jpg

4chan-MHW-and-MH-Switch-leak-3.jpg
Regarding MH Portable on Switch:

""new weapons, new environment influences like leap and mountin""

I don't think the new weapons bit was true (they just said Rise won't have any, unless it inherited some World originals?), but the leap and mountain bit is like, WOW. O_o No fucking way this wasn't a legit leak.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Regarding MH Portable on Switch:

""new weapons, new environment influences like leap and mountin""

I don't think the new weapons bit was true (they just said Rise won't have any, unless it inherited some World originals?), but the leap and mountain bit is like, WOW. O_o No fucking way this wasn't a legit leak.

That was always going to be a true rumor.

It was dismissed only because it painted a bad light on Sony. There were other rumors around MHW launch that got the initial shipment right and also talked about MH Switch saying that given huge preorders and high anticipation Capcom felt safer about MHW and put MH Switch slightly on hold.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Besides the obvious juicy morsels in the leak, one thing that interests me is that Sony were "desperate for Japan". These days that seems absurd, but given the timeframe, I do have to wonder if their expectation, along with the rest of the industry, of the Switch flopping made them think there was a solid opening in Japan.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think even if there was truth to the leak it was deliberately drenched in rhetoric to get a certain reaction.

Besides the obvious juicy morsels in the leak, one thing that interests me is that Sony were "desperate for Japan". These days that seems absurd, but given the timeframe, I do have to wonder if their expectation, along with the rest of the industry, of the Switch flopping made them think there was a solid opening in Japan.

I don't think Sony were "desperate for Japan" but when you look at the pre-Switch landscape in Japan(when any deal would have been made) you see PS4, 3DS, Wii U and Vita. Two of those platforms were failures and one was a mass hit in Japan but weak outside and consensus was portables were completely done.

All the platform holders wants as much software as possible to be on their platforms, preferably exclusively, and Sony saw an opportunity to scoop up all of the software that was previously on Wii, DS and PSP(which did hold PS3 back) and get it back on PS4 now that those platforms successors were weaker. It involved some self-cannibalisation on the Vita front but it was worth it to consolidate Japanese console development back around the PlayStation home console.

They were almost 100% successful as well.

That's also why you see Sony investing in the "China Hero Project" more than Japanese developers right now. China is still an up and coming market for console games and Sony sees an opportunity to get in early and establish PlayStation as the default console platform for Chinese developed games, as like Japan in the past it will be a good differentiator worldwide from their competition.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The leak mentions "huge internal strife at capcom" but I guess it all worked out for them in the end. Having the mainline on PS/PC/Xbox while continuing the portable line on Switch seems like a good strategy now.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i fully believe that leak. some details may not be exactly right but the gist of it is pretty much on point.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
i fully believe that leak. some details may not be exactly right but the gist of it is pretty much on point.
Yup, I always thought the leak was real. The fanboy part where they describe that Sony is desperate etc is most likely exaggerated and not true but the software side ended up being real.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It is going to be a busy end of the year for the Switch 3rd party wise. Lots of games are planned between the end of October and December:

- SMT III: Nocturne
- Shadowverse
- Sakuna Rice
- Momotaro Dentetsu
- Fitness Boxing 2
- Derby Stallion
- Atelier Ryza 2
- Shiren 5
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
- Family Trainer
- Kingdom Hearts MoM

+ Hyrule Warriors (published by KT in Japan), the budget reprint of Dragon Quest XI S, Gnosia, FniC Home Fit and Immortals on the Western side.

That's a staggering number of releases and some have a great potential

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It is going to be a busy end of the year for the Switch 3rd party wise. Lots of games are planned between the end of October and December:

- SMT III: Nocturne
- Shadowverse
- Sakuna Rice
- Momotaro Densetsu
- Fitness Boxing 2
- Derby Stallion
- Atelier Ryza 2
- Shiren 5
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
- Family Trainer
- Kingdom Hearts MoM

+ Hyrule Warriors (published by KT in Japan), the budget reprint of Dragon Quest XI S, Gnosia, FniC Home Fit and Immortals on the Western side.

That's a staggering number of releases and some have a great potential
Yup, there's a good line-up there for sure. Fitness Boxing 2 will definitiely be very interesting to watch as well - can it do better than the first game?

BTW, wasn't it Momotaro Dentetsu?

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, there's a good line-up there for sure. Fitness Boxing 2 will definitiely be very interesting to watch as well - can it do better than the first game?

Fitness Boxing is great but I can't see this one doing a lot better because the content is pretty much the same. It probably has a few new songs and trainers and some new workouts but I feel it's not really enough to move the series into another level of sales.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

It should launch higher and if the game is a real improvement over the first game then it will outsell it LTD.

Yep you are right :P

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Nice, those are some juicy infos. I think there's some fanboying in there as well, but I can see Sony trying to push MH away from Nintendo again if we're looking at the 3DS's biggest third parties in Japan especially, but also in general. And Sony certainly knows about MH's pull as shown by the PSP and the respective MH games on there, especially MHP3rd.

It's kinda funny how they seemingly didn't even bother with excluding Xbox from MH5 aka World, as if they knew it would probably do worst on there anyways compared to PS and PC (and Switch, if that had been an option), so it wasn't really much of a threat, so to say.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Yup, I always thought the leak was real. The fanboy part where they describe that Sony is desperate etc is most likely exaggerated and not true but the software side ended up being real.
I absolutely don't see why the Sony part would not be true.

I think it makes perfect sense whether it's food for us or not.
The reason games don't come on switch is not always "power issues" related for sure. Sometimes, not always.

If it's not true for that game, it is for others anyway.
There's also no reason why this whole part would be the only wrong part.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Some say the desperate part may be over exaggerated for Sony, but is it really tho? I imagine they would want to take over Japan with software and get neck deep into it with Monster Hunter (a huge third party game in Japan) by pushing the switch to the side. I mean they did have an exclusivity in Asia for the sole reason so they could be the only platform with MH.

I can definitely see everything in that leak to be true. The Japanese gaming market back then was definitely important to Sony (still is) and I imagine they didn't want to lose it to Nintendo which is why they made calculated moves in Japan. Japanese games have always been a good differentiator for them compared to other platforms. Either way at the end of the day it was business.

Oct 26, 2017
It was also after Wii U had bombed and Switch hadn't been announced at whatever point a deal would have been made. ( these rumours were posted only 1 week after the October reveal where Switch got an official name)

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Some say the desperate part may be over exaggerated for Sony, but is it really tho? I imagine they would want to take over Japan with software and get neck deep into it with Monster Hunter (a huge third party game in Japan) by pushing the switch to the side. I mean they did have an exclusivity in Asia for the sole reason so they could be the only platform with MH.

I can definitely see everything in that leak to be true. The Japanese gaming market back then was definitely important to Sony (still is) and I imagine they didn't want to lose it to Nintendo which is why they made calculated moves in Japan. Japanese games have always been a good differentiator for them compared to other platforms. Either way at the end of the day it was business.

I still don't know why people say Sony doesn't care about Japan. I'm sure they rather have those 9 million units there than 0. it's just they don't seem to have a homerun there.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, that leak always sounded reasonable (in spite of the subjectivity? of the leaker), and is the reason why many of us still believed in a MH for Switch after all these years. Well, that and the fact that it made so much sense as a business move.

I understand the internal strife at Capcom back then, but in the end their strategy was probably for the best. They made sound business/management decisions with regard to MH.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's biggest effort with Japanese companies, except moneyhating some exclusives from them, was to keep them away from Switch. That it didn't work doesn't mean they didn't try, Vita was killed prematurely in order to move all third party support only to PS4. In the end only the loyal supporters followed the plan.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
do you think the next game is 12, or they'll do a remake (of 9 or 3 perhaps) first?

I'm not sure. I think it would be a massive mistake to let the Switch come and go without a NEW mainline entry but if a remake is coming before 12 that seems likely, especially considering Infinity Strash and Monsters are both in the pipeline(unless the latter gets cancelled).

DQ11 has been such a pyrrhic victory for them, I really don't think it has left them in a good position for the future.

They will remake XIS first

You've cracked the code.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They will remake XIS first
XIS pocket edition for mobile, which then gets ported to consoles.

I'm not sure. I think it would be a massive mistake to let the Switch come and go without a NEW mainline entry but if a remake is coming before 12 that seems likely, especially considering Infinity Strash and Monsters are both in the pipeline(unless the latter gets cancelled).

DQ11 has been such a pyrrhic victory for them, I really don't think it has left them in a good position for the future.
yeah, i don't think they're gonna let the switch userbase (and its current position in the japanese market) go without at least few more titles (both main and spin-off)

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It was fun watching people in these weekly threads deny the existence and likelihood of MH on Switch for over 3 years. The inevitability of MH Rise was decided the day day Capcom knew the NX was handheld-capable.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand it when single player franchises only aim for 1 mainline game per generation, if that.

Dragon Quest and Persona are the worst about this.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
for some series i enjoy the 1 game per generation thing tbh, makes each release more special and the jump in visuals more noticeable.

I'm totally with you that i don't want games getting pumped out the way Ubisoft does....but generations are 7 years long now, 2 games in a 7 year span isn't asking for much imo.

Give them enough time to differentiate the newest game from the previous entry, but not so much time that elementary school kids are graduating from high school by the time the next game comes out.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally with you that i don't want games getting pumped out the way Ubisoft does....but generations are 7 years long now, 2 games in a 7 year span isn't asking for much imo.

Give them enough time to differentiate the newest game from the previous entry, but not so much time that elementary school kids are graduating from high school by the time the next game comes out.
yeah i guess you're right. that worked more in the 5 year generations of the past.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
XIS pocket edition for mobile, which then gets ported to consoles.

yeah, i don't think they're gonna let the switch userbase (and its current position in the japanese market) go without at least few more titles (both main and spin-off)

I don't think it's unrealistic that the next game would be a PS5 game though, especially when you consider they likely want a big game each fiscal year and 2021 and 2022 already have FFXVI and KH?, 2023 might even be FFVIIR 2 so that could be 2024 for DQ12.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Honestly MH coming to Switch was pretty obvious, even without the leaks. All you had to do was look at the credits of World and Iceborne and take note of the lack of Yasunori Ichinose and multiple lead designers from the portable/X series(Katsuya Eguchi, Yuji Matsumoto, mori-bite). Unless they all decided to leave Capcom and ignore the success of the 3DS games and the sales of the Switch, they had to be working on SOME kind of MH. Sure, they COULD have been working on a PS4/XB1 game, but Iceborne coming out late into 2019 and being supported throughout 2020 (along with no leaks hinting towards another MH on current gen) should have been a big hint.

People thought that because Capcom hadn't put out RE7/2R/3R or DMCV that they would never give any meaningful support to the Switch. Whereas if you had any knowledge of Capcom's dev teams and the series' history, you would know something was cooking for Switch.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The leak mentions "huge internal strife at capcom" but I guess it all worked out for them in the end. Having the mainline on PS/PC/Xbox while continuing the portable line on Switch seems like a good strategy now.
Just fyi there is no "mainline" MH as in they dont treat portable as some side project, especially when the portable games tend to sell more