• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Hostility
You can't keep propping up vita like this.
Fuck off

It's a thread about japanese sales, don't act dumb please
check the OP to see who the market leader is in japan.
Misinformation is probably the reason you don't understand the discussion here about Falcom.
I never new these games were under development 3 months ago when Switch became the Market leader in Japan. Falcom released their games on the console that was the market leader at the time.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Fuck off

I never new these games were under development 3 months ago when Switch became the Market leader in Japan. Falcom released their games on the console that was the market leader at the time.
Which one sold the most in 2017 and 2018 in Japan? Or do you think that 3 months ago Switch magically sold over 8 million in one week? There's the matter of the 3DS being the market leader before that too.

Also by your logic the Switch will be getting Falcom's full support from now on, ignoring the PS5 since the Switch will be the market leader over it for...well probably the entirety of the PS5's lifetime in Japan, unless a miracle happens.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the same interview you react to he literally says that they would rather work on new games instead of porting old games.

I meant more of a multiplatform strategy, but they obvioulsy don't want to put energy into that. I mean i will play most of their games anyway, it's just a bit sad because they could reach a new audience and also they look like a good fit for the hardware.

isn't the new game they shown off on their own engine again? Ys9 was probably on the Ys8 engine as well

I thought their games are all Phyre including Ys. But at least the Trails of cold Steel games use Phyre as they are discussing what engine to use in the future. (they say they have not decided yet if they develop their own engine)

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off

And no one could have seen the Switch becoming the market leader until the exact moment it actually happened I suppose.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Fuck off

You don't need to wait until the Switch overtake the PS4 by 1 unit to see who was the market leader a year (or more) ago and decide to make a port.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
And no one could have seen the Switch becoming the market leader until the exact moment it actually happened I suppose.
Not even AlphaDream it seems. You'd think a company so heavily entrenched with Nintendo would have realized that the Mario & Luigi remakes were better suited for the Switch. Yet they couldn't read the market and thought the 3DS release could work, and it ended up sinking the company. So uh, before making super sarcastic remarks, might want to think about actual real life repercussions where a company folded due to a similar happenstance.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even AlphaDream it seems. You'd think a company so heavily entrenched with Nintendo would have realized that the Mario & Luigi remakes were better suited for the Switch. Yet they couldn't read the market and thought the 3DS release could work, and it ended up sinking the company. So uh, before making super sarcastic remarks, might want to think about actual real life repercussions where a company folded due to a similar happenstance.
Alphadream has no say in where Mario and Luigi goes. they are a contract company. M&L's recent failures were Nintendo's fault

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Won't this be a non issue in a year when N1 or whomever just ports Ys IX at the same time they localize the other version?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe their financial issues were the reason they were doing 3DS remakes in the first place. The odds of them not realizing Switch titles would perform better on the Switch seem extremely low.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

I don't think AlphaDreams decided where Nintendo exclusives are going. And these games had probably not much to do with "sinking" the company. And porting them to Switch had required a complete overhaul of the games.

Anyway that's exactly what most people fear regarding Falcom, their weird refusal to port their games to the market leader and other baffling decisions could sink the company in short time. For example the fact that they still seem to use Sonys phyre engine for their games is an almost unbelievable shortsighted decision. Their games are not demanding, they could run on every multiplatform engine, that would make it easy to port them to every platform under the sun.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, AlphaDream didn't have the freedom to decide their output that Falcolm does, and uh was that honestly an attempt to make me feel guilty? I'm sure AlphaDream would have been fine if mean people didn't make sarcastic comments on the internet I guess...

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly to me, I wouldn't find Falcom's undying loyalty to Sony off or bad at all if they, you know, were more honest.

Like, just come out and say they want to be Sony-exclusive because Sony say helps keep the lights on indirectly or something, that they have a personal loyalty to them. That's fine. Lots of companies are honest about where their loyalties are. Quick examples are Shin'en and Next Level Games. Shin'en's barely touched a non-Nintendo system and after two seemingly poor performing PS4 ports of Wii U games, they left it behind. It's clear that Shin'en are personally loyal to Nintendo, but then again when was the last time anyone's asked otherwise?

Next Level Games at least made their exclusivity to Nintendo known and likely by their own choice because, as they said, it's where they've been their absolute strongest. Luigi's Mansion 3 is looking to be their magnum opus and could very well be their biggest success ever.

It's when a developer ever tries to dance around the issue and tries a sort of smoke and mirrors tactic of pretending it's one thing when it's clearly another. Atlus is guilty of this when it comes to Persona as well. Just come clean and say Sony has their hand in the mainline games. Don't dance around it making it seem like there's an actual chance of ports happening when there's some sort of behind closed doors reason for it not actually being so. False hope and all that.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly to me, I wouldn't find Falcom's undying loyalty to Sony off or bad at all if they, you know, were more honest.

Like, just come out and say they want to be Sony-exclusive because Sony say helps keep the lights on indirectly or something, that they have a personal loyalty to them. That's fine. Lots of companies are honest about where their loyalties are. Quick examples are Shin'en and Next Level Games. Shin'en's barely touched a non-Nintendo system and after two seemingly poor performing PS4 ports of Wii U games, they left it behind. It's clear that Shin'en are personally loyal to Nintendo, but then again when was the last time anyone's asked otherwise?

Next Level Games at least made their exclusivity to Nintendo known and likely by their own choice because, as they said, it's where they've been their absolute strongest. Luigi's Mansion 3 is looking to be their magnum opus and could very well be their biggest success ever.

It's when a developer ever tries to dance around the issue and tries a sort of smoke and mirrors tactic of pretending it's one thing when it's clearly another. Atlus is guilty of this when it comes to Persona as well. Just come clean and say Sony has their hand in the mainline games. Don't dance around it making it seem like there's an actual chance of ports happening when there's some sort of behind closed doors reason for it not actually being so. False hope and all that.
Tbf why would a company have to be honest in public about their business strategies and all those behind the scene stuffs?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Why the fuck would they ever admit this? What possible good does this serve the company?

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

The only hope and dance you know of exists in your own head. There have never been any smoke and mirrors.

What possible good does the garbage they currently do actually achieve? Everyone calls out their bullshit

These Media Create threads have been nothing but talking absolute nasty garbage about anyone who doesn't back up Switch for years now, case in point. A lot of you guys should feel embarrassed over the nonsense you write like this. It's worse than just fanboyism, it's downright vile.

Oct 26, 2017
What possible good does the garbage they currently do actually achieve? Everyone calls out their bullshit

Exactly. Some transparency where allowed can only be a good thing. Folks don't exactly like being played like a fiddle as it were, just be upfront, what harm can it do? Avoids upsetting people for one, and second can generate good will.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I don't think AlphaDreams decided where Nintendo exclusives are going. And these games had probably not much to do with "sinking" the company. And porting them to Switch had required a complete overhaul of the games.

Anyway that's exactly what most people fear regarding Falcom, their weird refusal to port their games to the market leader and other baffling decisions could sink the company in short time. For example the fact that they still seem to use Sonys phyre engine for their games is an almost unbelievable shortsighted decision. Their games are not demanding, they could run on every multiplatform engine, that would make it easy to port them to every platform under the sun.
Well, we've only seen strong financials from Falcom recently, so at the very least they're not being run into the ground. And it's not like Sony is forcing them to release products only on the Vita, so they likely won't end up like AlphaDream anytime soon.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The only hope and dance you know of exists in your own head. There have never been any smoke and mirrors.

These Media Create threads have been nothing but talking absolute nasty garbage about anyone who doesn't back up Switch for years now, case in point. A lot of you guys should feel embarrassed over the nonsense you write like this. It's worse than just fanboyism, it's downright vile.
Level 5 gets talked about the most and they support Nintendo big time. It's more people just questioning the decisions of these companies.

With Falcom even Japanese fans have been asking them "why they hate Nintendo" and they had to respond.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Switch has CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE Falcom game yall.

Just go download that and enjoy it.

It's even free!

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Well, we've only seen strong financials from Falcom recently, so at the very least they're not being run into the ground. And it's not like Sony is forcing them to release products only on the Vita, so they likely won't end up like AlphaDream anytime soon.
Lol Nintendo didn't force AlphaDream to do anything. The 3DS games were probably there to bouy them while they were working on whatever the HD project(s) they had cooking for a while. Funny enough they were looking at Switch and PS4.

I also don't really get the point of bringing up AlphaDream?
Can't believe I'm seeing a starving kids in Africa tactic for market commentary.
We haven't reached the bottom yet. Someone still needs to bring up a certain dictator.

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think you guys get it yet. The 3DS was the last bastion of hope for developers who arent use to HD development and/or not prepared for HD develomemt either through resources or financially

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
oh honey no

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Lol Nintendo didn't force AlphaDream to do anything.
Literally in this very thread I've had 4 people tell me that Nintendo made the decision of what platform to release the two Mario & Luigi remakes. If AlphaDream did not have any choice in the matter then they very much were forced into the platform choice that Nintendo decided.

I bring them up because they were a studio that actually did shut down unlike the concern I see for Falcom. So it's good to talk about what happened in that case and what Falcom and other small development studios could learn.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It didnt matter what platform Nintendo wanted them to develop the game on they werent ready for HD development regardless

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Literally in this very thread I've had 4 people tell me that Nintendo made the decision of what platform to release the two Mario & Luigi remakes. If AlphaDream did not have any choice in the matter then they very much were forced into the platform choice that Nintendo decided.
AlphaDream didn't have a choice because
It didnt matter what platform Nintendo wanted them to develop the game on they werent ready for HD development regardless

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I wouldn't respond to hyperbole bait here, but I should point out you accused the Eurogamer article with Falcom's CEO as a probable crock of a translation because an aspect of it didn't show him positively. In that respect I think you should settle down so you don't translate people saying "this is dumb practice" as "they should die".

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an important part people are forgetting and one among many why the comparisons don't work. AlphaDream was probably the last major studio to still be making their games with sprite art while everyone else moved onto 3D. They don't have experience in 3D development (they'd often outsource for that), nor HD development. Meanwhile Falcom does have experience in those areas. Falcom also own their IPs which helps a lot too.

It's understandable there is concern over Falcom and not wanting to see something like that happen to them. But for right now they are fine financially. However, stability is fleeting, so it's never good to rest on your laurels, and I would like for them to do more multiplatform development and use an engine that would allow that ease of development for them. Falcom's real issues come down to Japan being their market and making up majority of their revenue compared to overseas, and one platform is not going to be enough in the long term.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
There's not much to say about companies that are making all the correct decisions, it's only natural to talk about the small/medium ones making poor decisions, noisy wheel gets the oil and what not.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017

I bring them up because they were a studio that actually did shut down unlike the concern I see for Falcom. So it's good to talk about what happened in that case and what Falcom and other small development studios could learn.

Nintendo would've gone to AD and said we want M&L on 3DS and are prepared to pay X, AD could then say no or negotiate. It's not forcing, its business.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
I legit hope we won't talk about Falcom in MC threads until next year after this week's extravaganza XD

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I think the comparison between Falcom and Level-5 is an interesting one. Both small companies with a very different approach to the market. One of them is behaving conservatively and focusing on the platform and audience that they're familiar with and it's been working out pretty well for them. The other tried to massively and rapidly expand last generation and while it worked very well for a while, it looks to be unsustainable and arguably a terrible direction for the company.

Not to say that one approach is right and the other is wrong in all cases. I don't think Falcom would be worse off if they outsourced ports to Switch, and would likely be better off. At the same time, I'm not sure Level-5 would be any better off if they didn't swing for the fences with stuff like Snack World and whatever the hell else it is they do these days. I mean, take Yokai Watch out of the equation and they're just another small Japanese publisher struggling to remain relevant in the HD era.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
I think the comparison between Falcom and Level-5 is an interesting one. Both small companies with a very different approach to the market. One of them is behaving conservatively and focusing on the platform and audience that they're familiar with and it's been working out pretty well for them. The other tried to massively and rapidly expand last generation and while it worked very well for a while, it looks to be unsustainable and arguably a terrible direction for the company.

Not to say that one approach is right and the other is wrong in all cases. I don't think Falcom would be worse off if they outsourced ports to Switch, and would likely be better off. At the same time, I'm not sure Level-5 would be any better off if they didn't swing for the fences with stuff like Snack World and whatever the hell else it is they do these days. I mean, take Yokai Watch out of the equation and they're just another small Japanese publisher struggling to remain relevant in the HD era.
Level 5 isn't really small, but they will be soon :P

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised the Media Create hate squad(tm) hasn't descended on From Software. It's almost like there's a context there.

On Alphadream: Again worth noting that their last game was neither on a Nintendo platform, nor affiliated with Nintendo. It was also in development at the same as the Bowser's Inside Story remake, which would have split up the meagre resources they had.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
What makes you say that?

I was closely watching the Amazon charts the last few months and the game never managed to chart high there. Even Dragon Quest 11 was charting somewhat high like a week or two before release.
I am aware that Amazon charts are not 100% reliable (mainly for games that have a high digital split) but for games that release on the Switch they are usually spot on.

Depends on CDPR's expectations. As long as they're not expecting it to be a multi million seller like on other platforms, Witcher 3 on Switch should do fine. Might pass a million if the people who bought Skyrim show up again.

Yeah you are right and I shouldn't have used the word bomb. I wonder if CDPR are fine with Skyrim like sales numbers and maybe we will get a comment from them about sales in the future.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I was closely watching the Amazon charts the last few months and the game never managed to chart high there. Even Dragon Quest 11 was charting somewhat high like a week or two before release.
I am aware that Amazon charts are not 100% reliable (mainly for games that have a high digital split) but for games that release on the Switch they are usually spot on.

Yeah you are right and I shouldn't have used the word bomb. I wonder if CDPR are fine with Skyrim like sales numbers and maybe we will get a comment from them about sales in the future.
You might want to check the Amazon US chart again