• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I get that we missed the mark on Caiops and I'm not disagreeing with your point at all. I'm trying to explain why there was a failure of the system to understand that Caiops was a troll. Personally, and this is because I'm a stupid person not speaking for a single other mod on the site, I find trying to discern trolls in Sales threads fairly difficult because you also are able to use real sales data to obfuscate your troll. And yeah, I get the response to that is "if you can't figure it out why do you have this job", I told you, I'm stupid. But I think sometimes the obviousness within the community does not come across to those of us who are dealing with multiple different reports in multiple different communities with nuances that we are trying to learn about given that it's probably impossible for our mod staff to have members who take part in literally every single community on this board. That's why the ticket with the screenshots from the Brazilian message board was a little personally frustrating to me -- so, it was known that this user was posting on a Brazilian message board talking about how they don't care about Japanese sales? Yes, that gives us the necessary context now in this thread to make a decision. But if you all know about and we don't, then we can't use that information. We can look at post history, but at some point, we are going to need more help than just a report that says "trolling."

Again, I can't talk for the mod team, I'm more just talking for myself about experiencing the report system from the other side after being on ***/ERA for a while.

I don't know if you'll find this post useful or just frustrating, I'm just trying to explain a little more of our side's context.

I don't mean to call you or anyone on the mod team stupid. But if you have a question, why not reach out to us for information on why someone might have been reported and treated with ire?

I understand moderating is hard, I am not trying to say "well its easy, we can all see it clear as day", you're not as invested and some information can be clearly hard to discern but a regular can point you in the right direction and then you can watch for repeated "subtle trolling". I think the biggest problem I have with this is that you guys missed how someone long reported being the same one setting things off should have thrown up some red flags.

And no I don't find it frustrating, I've had to deal with the difficulties of moderations and community turmoil.

That said, I still have no idea how you arrived at those guidelines. I could be convinced to think Caiops wrote them.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Not my experience, unfortunately. Aside from a few users, it feels like like I'm attacked by a gang of wolves by being positive about what I find positive (but they don't see it the same way that I do, which is obviously fine but no need for such aggressivity).

Getting tsunami'd by historical numbers is the expected response if you say something performed well if in fact it likely didn't. Cutting past the PR fluff was the culture of this thread.

It was always like the two old Muppets in the theater seats. It was also done with a similarly tongue-in-cheek sarcastic manner as we track the overall decline in the nark.

Success was praised, crows were eaten, bombas were criticized but in the end we were all cheerleaders for the Japanese gaming industry. Nintendo fans got it in the Wii U days. PlayStation has been getting it lately but it was all based on numbers.

When you had a stance you made an impassioned plea if it went against the numbers but if you hand-waved criticism of your claim with nothing more than sentiment then that only hurt your case. It wasn't meant to hurt your feelings.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll stand by it.

CVX and their shit behavior lead to the destruction of a well established Community who has been alive and supported through its members for almost 10+ years, and across two major websites.

CVX doing so, with shitty intent which is provable and then not getting the retribution he deserves is no different than asshole Cops abusing their power to harm others and then expect the rules to not apply to them.
So this user was banned, which means moderation and staff are seeing this thread, yet no one is answering ours question. Great job! Way to de-escalate things.

Oct 25, 2017
xJBYlfU.png

i shouldn't be surprised that tone policing the community you hurt is what's actionable, not removing a member of staff who displayed a petty vendetta against a central member of the community and only helped cause further disruption. being in a position of power carries with it a level of responsibility above normal community members, and something like that should carry with it a much more severe punishment because of it.

i've advised countless times over the years to stop banning the people you hurt, unban those who acted as they did because you hurt them, and make genuine corrective measures, but at this point i'm just... tired. i no longer have any faith that things will change.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (permanent): Participating in a harassment campaign against a member of the community
Okay, I read over the mod post. So here a question? What will you do about Morrigan?

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

Saying "if you post in support of us, you won't get banned" is a pretty big indictment here. And would explain the influx of trolls these last couple of days.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Again we understand at this point that a lot of the damage is done and can't now be reversed, but here is what we have done: Caiops has been permanently banned. We are cancelling the new guidelines because they were created without a complete understanding of the issues. The initial warning has been removed from Chris1964's record, and because the ban was escalated off that warning, it's been removed as well. Cvxfreak will be taking a leave of absence from the staff and when he returns he will voluntarily recuse himself from any moderation regarding sales.

So Cvxfreak's blatantly insulting comments are not worth of permantent banning? Despite this having been the case with other users?

How do you explain this?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna respond to this as someone who has been a casual reader of MC threads for a long time -- sometimes it's very hard to understand the context of a report.. For example, I skim these threads every week (skim, to be clear, mostly for my weird obsession with if the Series X is going to do well in Japan even though I don't own one yet), and it's still sometimes difficult for me to discern what is earnest and what is a troll without the proper context of the body of a user's history. We try our best, but given the number of reports we get, sometimes we don't have all the information easily available to us. And it can be really hard to understand the nuance of a report. When someone reports something as just "trolling", that isn't the most useful information because -- siloed from any context -- it might come across as simply a disagreement. We also cannot be in every single community at every given time, so we often lack the body of knowledge you all have. That's why the more detailed reports would be significantly more helpful to help us help you so we can actually understand the context of an individual troll who is potentially subtle.

We missed the mark on Caiops and I think we have to discuss the reporting system at large, but we can only go off of what's reported and the less detailed the report is, the more likely it is for something like this to fall through the cracks.

Okay, so this is partly what I meant -- the first time we ever got word of this was yesterday in a ticket to the mods. It was an extremely helpful piece of information that helped people who aren't regular Sales ERA users get the context needed to inform our decision-making process. If you know there is a user who is posting on a Brazilian message board about trolling on ERA, that is helpful for us! That helps us do our jobs better.

i don't envy the position of the mod or admin team on a regular day. it just seems like additional stress on top of regular stress.

the sales community on not-yet-neogaf-gaf was what lured me to the place from gamefaqs's next-gen gaming message board back in 2002. there's always been a deeply contentious element because numbers can be used to reinforce any number of opinions or interpreted in different ways. but they ultimately provide context for conversations and arguments. that's what makes them interesting. instead of bemoaning the lack of success of a certain title or studio, you can maybe track trends and at least come to a certain understanding behind it. ultimately, sales data, as contentious as arguments can be between users, bring down the temperature overall.

the caiops thing is just one issue. the dude argued with me about a conversation i had with a playstation account manager and brushed it off as though the playstation account manager didn't know what he was talking about (about playstation). this was my first interaction with caiops and i figured he was just a younger person who didn't get it and whatever, you know? i've also been a casual participant in these threads for its run on resetera, so i didn't really know what was going on either.

but as a casual participant, seeing the guidelines come down was pretty perplexing. i wasn't aware that the media create threads had a reputation of being this cesspit of toxicity. i think a lot of the arguments would wear themselves out, but to the point where new ground rules needed to be laid down? this was made worse by the lack of the participation of the mod staff, and any apparent consultation or trust of the regular members who post here. these rules were apparently in the works for a while, but for how long, and what precipitated it, and who was in the discussion? by the mod team's own admission, there wasn't a lot of participation from staff in this community, so who was actually doing the due diligence in gathering up data before actioning a response? to me and quite a lot of other people, it looked like it dropped out of nowhere and that things were discussed in the shadows or behind closed doors, where complaints among bad faith actors were given priority above the people who knew the community better than most.

to circle back, this is the additional stress from the mod and admin team that i don't envy. because a lot of effort went in to making a very bad decision that very quickly backfired, and now there's even more stress. i think what you're doing is good though. more staff should feel free to participate in discussions with a community. so thanks for doing that. honesty and transparency when it comes to making mistakes reminds everyone we're all human.

Last edited:

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
poodle you my boy and I love you bro, so I know everything doesn't rest on you here nor am I blaming you, but cvxfreak should not be a moderator. Even ignoring his industry position (which should absolutely be a red flag for being a mod), it's impossible to take those discord screenshots in a favorable light. And I know you guys have that system where you need to have multiple staff members sign off, so I know it's not solely on him. But personally? I would never want to post here if a staff member was posting shit like that about me straight up. That's absolutely abusing his power and reputation here. That's no behavior for one of you guys at all.

Deleted member 99377

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Okay, I read over the mod post. So here a question? What will you do about Morrigan?

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

Saying "if you post in support of us, you won't get banned" is a pretty big indictment here. And would explain the influx of trolls these last couple of days.
What the actual fuck, "if you post in support of us, you won't get banned"?

We are supposed to trust the mods though right? Where is any accountability? How are people like this allowed to be on the mod team when they are actively looking to get people banned.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's clear as water the staff not only not trust the communities which helped form the site, they also have vendetta and are wishing to unleash sanctions. Incredible.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well my attempt to mediate just got much harder.

I'm really trying to salvage this but I'm starting to feel like Sisyphus.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

Yet more proof that the mod team is again unable and unqualified to moderate these threads. They do not understand the community and they have members that clearly have no desire or want to.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

What in the fresh hell?

Yeah, these fences aren't being mended.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

Bruno gets permabanned for some mild criticism on twitter but guess mod/admin team can call the community manbabies and promise people immunity/protection? Interesting.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

What the fuck...

Considering it has been established that a simple tweet can get someone permabanned this should have consequences or the entire rule system is fucking arbitrary.

Dec 21, 2020

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

So Ombala came from this discord server

I am appalled by all of this, it's getting even worse.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I van gi

This happens consistently within communities. The long time posters aren't consulted. Their reports are ignored. And suddenly, when the new people who are getting reported start reporting, suddenly the bans start to flow for the people who have been trying to get y'all to act for months.

This is a pattern and this gee golly shucks act ain't cutting it. It might be true for you, personally, as an individual, but it ain't true overall.

To reiterate, I cannot speak for the mods or admins -- and to be clear once more, I'm not, I'm literally just here as someone who will tell you after the Direct tomorrow that Xenoblade 3 will definitely sell over a million in Japan alone, but I do think it's not just "gee golly shucks", and that's not what my post is trying to communicate. We missed the mark, not to keep reusing that phrase. I've been reading these threads since I was 15. I remember when the GameCube sold over 20,000 the week that Wind Waker was released and came in second to the PS2 and people were celebrating. I think there is a much longer conversation to be had about a myriad of things, I was simply here to offer my two cents about the ways in which the information can be perceived on our end in regards to what type of information we're getting from users.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

Morrigan should be out for this shit. If you are a mod, you have no business going into Discords and shit-talking people in the community, especially in that way.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

Wow, mod openly stating that if you blindly support the mods you won't get banned compared to those who do criticise them.

What an absolute joke this community has ended up being.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

'hopefully one person I have in mind will get hit'

Oh great, more of this.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

McPyVqe.png
unknown.png
Z6Rkfn4.png
unknown.png

So Ombala went here to clearly troll and he ended by playing the victim?

Oct 25, 2017

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't conflate private whatever the fuck that is with the mod team.

The moderation is not a hivemind.

But we do need an explanation.

Deleted member 99377

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Morrigan should be out for this shit. If you are a mod, you have no business going into Discords and shit-talking people in the community, especially in that way.
Not only that, promising that you won't get a ban if you agree with them to help them ban people. Seriously, how is this not an obvious abuse of power.

Morrigan and Cvxfreak need to go

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
To reiterate, I cannot speak for the mods or admins -- and to be clear once more, I'm not, I'm literally just here as someone who will tell you after the Direct tomorrow that Xenoblade 3 will definitely sell over a million in Japan alone, but I do think it's not just "gee golly shucks", and that's not what my post is trying to communicate. We missed the mark, not to keep reusing that phrase. I've been reading these threads since I was 15. I remember when the GameCube sold over 20,000 the week that Wind Waker was released and came in second to the PS2 and people were celebrating. I think there is a much longer conversation to be had about a myriad of things, I was simply here to offer my two cents about the ways in which the information can be perceived on our end in regards to what type of information we're getting from users.
Given the above images, this reply was rather unfortunately timed, yes?

Oct 27, 2017
All I am personally asking for right now is consistancy.

Rules are rules for a reason. If they need to be bent then we should know. This was one of the reasons people were feeling unhappy at GAF before the shit went down. The lack of communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.