• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if for that you got a permaban, we are fucked here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It''s worse. He criticized on a tweet comment, not even here and got banned by that.
Can someone summarize what the hell happened? Seeing 2k posts for a sales thread caught my attention.
Basically troll flooded this thread, Chris discussed with the arrogant CVXFREAK, who also happens to be a mod and a "superior human being with knowledge", and got banned for 1 day while at the same time mods posted new guidelines for this thread after banning Chris without discussion with anyone from here. Chaos happened and moderation were on a power trip and banned a lot of old and regular poster from this thread, even those who criticized them on twitter. Now Chris isn't coming back, the JapanSalesEra is dead and we discovered that the CVXFREAK was plotting behind the scenes.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
Who are you referring to in the "yall" part? (aka the people who are being immature apparently). Very curious.

Everyone who blew this way out of proportions. Don't have a particular person in mind.

But if you're calling for a public apology to Chris for a one day ban you're probably one of them.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Well with Chris gone I don't really have a reason to visit this site anymore. When GAF went down and the communities were on discord, I know I wasn't alone when the deciding factor for Era was wherever Chris went. If he pops up somewhere else, someone please let me know.

It's crazy, but I've made a few reports outside this thread, and from what I recall they've been responded to or resolved. I cannot think of a single time I've made a report in these threads that was answered

Same reason I joined ERA. The MC threads and Nintendo direct communities were the only ones I cared about hen joining. Seems like I need to look elsewhere now.

Can someone summarize what the hell happened? Seeing 2k posts for a sales thread caught my attention.

Chris was the main reason MC threads are what they are today. A mod didnt like him and he got banned. Now is is leaving the site.
After the mod stated he was just doing "mod-word" it turns out it was a set up...

www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2021 (Sep 06 - Sep 12) [Read STAFF POST] Sales

I want to preface this by saying I know I'm not a Media Create regular. I don't believe I've ever even previously posted in one of these sales threads, since I'm relatively uninterested in sales data. However, as it is of a direct relevance to the present situation with Chris, I feel I should at...

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Interesting that the thread is still open.
They are probably thinking about what would be the best way (they may think or believe from their pov) to deal with all this, as it's a very sensitive topic and any wrong action will fan the flames, though most of the moves they could make would fan the flames and make everything worse.

bertosan

Sep 4, 2019
Cant believe Chris is gone ;( Thank to him and the people that made this threads such a fun read every week. This is a huge loss!

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bans are also approved by 3 members. what about the other two that approved the ban?

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Official Staff Communication
This is the first time we're seeing any of this. The mod in question isn't online right now but we've removed him from duty while we look into it. Due to time zones it's going to take a while to figure out what's going on.

To quickly clarify one thing about any Discord as an "extension of Era", that's just not the case. As far as we know that Discord isn't even run by a staff member.

I dont want to be in your skin right now. Thx for responding that fast!

We have to speak with each other! To clear things Up!
As a Community - mods and users! And it's good to see, that you are responding!

TornadoDDT

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 25, 2021
It''s worse. He criticized on a tweet comment, not even here and got banned by that.

Basically troll flooded this thread, Chris discussed with the arrogant CVXFREAK, who also happens to be a mod and a "superior human being with knowledge", and got banned for 1 day while at the same time mods posted new guidelines for this thread after banning Chris without discussion with anyone from here. Chaos happened and moderation were on a power trip and banned a lot of old and regular poster from this thread, even those who criticized them on twitter. Now Chris isn't coming back, the JapanSalesEra is dead and we discovered that the CVXFREAK was plotting behind the scenes.

damn, yikes. So no more Japanese sales thread? Huge blow to the site.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
well what a shitshow this is. Not gonna lie, I didn't expect someone to be pathetic enough to plan ruining an OT on a forum.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This is the first time we're seeing any of this. The mod in question isn't online right now but we've removed him from duty while we look into it. Due to time zones it's going to take a while to figure out what's going on.

To quickly clarify one thing about any Discord as an "extension of Era", that's just not the case. As far as we know that Discord isn't even run by a staff member.

Bless up on the prompt response. Please do a thorough investigation and make this right. It's within your power to at least make the gesture.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA

Not just Japan sales era, a bunch of users from all aspects of sales era have recieved warnings or bans or are stepping away.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

People were banned before for off site drama and posting things other members wrote on social media. Does that mean it's ok to go witch hunting for what members post on other sites to get them penalized here?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

As I said earlier you should have reflected on the flood of users that came in during the aftermath to see what you were enabling, and what you had been ignoring.

I'm not sure how people can be expected to have faith in the decisions that are made.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020

People were perma for the same thing, so Hopefully the same results here as well.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Thank you for the response, but yeah this really needs to be sorted out now.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Is anyone surprised? From the moment CVx set foot in this thread you could tell from his tone he was here for a confrontation with Chris.

Again what I'm asking is please if people are leaving can you let us know what's happening. This is the only real reason I visit ERA so if sales age is leaving I'll be going too.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone who blew this way out of proportions. Don't have a particular person in mind.

But if you're calling for a public apology to Chris for a one day ban you're probably one of them.

The fact that you're calling people here in this thread immature while glossing over what happened on discord is really suspect

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Seeing how Morrigan is still a mod here despite certain things they posted back on GAF, I highly doubt that cvx will get any kind of retribution.
will-smith-shookt.gif

Tlozbj

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
Puerto Rico

Thanks for the quick response and explanation of why things may take a bit, B-Dubs!

Though one would hope that cvxfreak also sees a permaban for the off-site drama or the one that BrunoMB got is reversed. The rules in such a scenario should be the same, and not show any sign of favoritisms.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018

Appreciate the update, thanks

javac

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised he didn't post an affiliated link to the book he was raving about that we all didn't understand because were all stupid imbeciles.

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Well I hope everyone involved directly in this fuckfest is happy... Feels like it's too late to get this community back anyway, the main driver was Chris' relentless work compiling and archiving sales.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I won't add to the mountain of notifications B-Dubs is receiving right now but I too would like to thank him for looking into this as soon as he did. I understand it may take some time but I hope everyone can reach a resolution the community is satisfied with and hopefully Chris, mazi and everyone else who left reconsider their decision.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird how whenever a community on Era has an issue and the mods step in it ends with one community less on Era.

This is yet another Era community that I see dying in real time. I was just a lurker but I always looked forward to seeing the weekly threads. At some point they will just kill every single community I browse Era for.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017

That's why I wanted to make it explicitly clear: this is not an assault on the mod team, or administrators. I realize you must have been in the dark about all this, and I also figured "this Discord server is an extension of Era" was just a load of fabricated baloney.

It's also worth noting that, outside of cvxfreak, that server mostly consists of cool, decent people, so please nobody get the impression that it's some toxic cesspit, because that couldn't be further from the truth. I've genuinely enjoyed my interactions with everyone in there that wasn't cvxfreak.

Should you need further information, just ask.

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
FYI, you can report a mod (not saying that I did, BTW ¬_¬).
If anything, it might slightly annoy him or some other mod might see it before him.
But can that mod see who reported them? Because if so they'll just hold a grudge against you and we'll get more situations like the one with Chris and cvxfreak.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Is anyone surprised? From the moment CVx set foot in this thread you could tell from his tone he was here for a confrontation with Chris.

Again what I'm asking is please if people are leaving can you let us know what's happening. This is the only real reason I visit ERA so if sales age is leaving I'll be going too.
The only people surprised by this. Are the same people that didn't care that the person chris was responding to. Didn't even get a warning for their trolling

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Posting this again for visibility:

We don't have answers right this second so we're going to lock the thread for the time being. We will update as soon as possible.

Staff Post

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for your patience, there was a lot we needed to look into and a lot of discussions that needed to be had across time zones. We recognize that a lot of the damage is already done and cannot be undone, but we're going to explain this from the beginning as best we can.

This whole thing started when Chris1964 was warned for antagonism in response to a post from Caiops which seemed pretty innocent at the time. We did receive complaints about Caiops afterwards, but none of those complaints could point to any examples of clear trolling, and searching his history didn't turn anything up either. We had already decided to investigate him more closely yesterday morning, but last night we received a tip which included the smoking gun we wish we'd had from the start: Caiops has admitted off-site that he doesn't actually care about Japanese sales.

If we'd known that at the beginning it's likely that none of this would have happened. As is, clearly a subtle troll was able to get away with it, and warning Chris1964 for snapping at him was a mistake. We apologize for that unreservedly.

With regard to Cvxfreak we have to clarify that the screenshots from Discord are NOT about any moderator action; the times listed are Japan Standard Time and Cvxfreak was talking about an argument he'd had with Chris1964 about the Japanese gaming industry. That was a day before Chris1964 made the post that ended up receiving a one day ban. No single moderator is ever solely responsible for a ban and there wasn't any abuse of power.

Cvxfreak was asked to help with the thread because he's been following it for years and knows Japan and the industry as well as anyone does. He did his honest best to understand the issues in the community and privately consulted active posters. He admits now however that the concerns he brought to the staff were incomplete at best and ignorant of more severe and pressing issues at worst. In turn the staff was blindsided by the intensity of the backlash to the guidelines and the way individual staff were targeted personally when they tried to mediate. We want to address this point again in a bit.

Again we understand at this point that a lot of the damage is done and can't now be reversed, but here is what we have done: Caiops has been permanently banned. We are cancelling the new guidelines because they were created without a complete understanding of the issues. The initial warning has been removed from Chris1964's record, and because the ban was escalated off that warning, it's been removed as well. Cvxfreak will be taking a leave of absence from the staff and when he returns he will voluntarily recuse himself from any moderation regarding sales.

One thing we do need to address bluntly: Criticism and concerns are fine, displeasure with what are ultimately collective decisions are fine, we know we can make mistakes and we made plenty here. But vitriol and targeted hate is never going to fly, particularly when singling out individual staff just for being a messenger and trying to help. We've drawn that line because nobody is going to want to moderate this place if personal attacks are their constant reward. It's a lot harder to keep the peace here than you might think. Ban appeals will receive a fair hearing but this point must be understood.

We sincerely regret the mistakes on our end and how this all played out. We can't decide for anyone whether they'll keep participating here, but it was never our intention to drive anyone off.

Oct 26, 2017
Glad there's been some fixes. It's up to Chris to decide if he's okay with this turn of events.

I really wish we could just hit redo and go back to the way things were before this mess began. Unbanning good folks like Mazi, fiendcode, etc. would be an excellent start IMO.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Not removing Cvxfreak seems like a major mistake. How can people be banned offsite for insulting mods but a mod can insult/troll regular members in private and get by with next to no consequences? Seems super gross and a "protecting our own" kind of thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for working it out.

Sucks it happened in the first place but alas, whats done is done.

I agree you should unban the people who were hit by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.