• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morisaki

Oct 29, 2017
Chris's resources were born out of more than a decade of scrupulous dedication to the topic, and a careful curation of all the information he had so that he could provide historical context for almost any subject just on the fly

You're not going to replace that kind of expertise, and Japanese sales discussions are going to be poorer because of it
It's going to be a huge loss.

Hopefully Chris will setup shop elsewhere.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tlwlsqv.png

"Don't worry guys........I got this.."
Truly a mod we can trust!

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Mods don't act alone apparently:

xIm9Zb3.png

For what it's worth, there is no evidence to suggest cvxfreak had any kind of help or accomplices, or that it was a collaborated effort. Then again, I don't know that to a 100% certainty, but I currently have no reason to believe otherwise. Just wanna make that clear. This was not meant to be an assault on the mod team, it was meant to shed light on a particular individual being of a questionable compatibility with the Media Create community.

based on previous messaging it seems at least one mod had oversight. At the least, it seems due diligence wasn't done.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to preface this by saying I know I'm not a Media Create regular. I don't believe I've ever even previously posted in one of these sales threads, since I'm relatively uninterested in sales data. However, as it is of a direct relevance to the present situation with Chris, I feel I should at least offer up something that suggests even further that Chris's ban was unwarranted.

These posts are from the Era-affiliated "BiohazardERA" (Resident Evil) Discord server, which I've been in for awhile. The official stance from a moderator of both the server, and site (cvxfreak) is that the server is literally an extension of Era, and thus, I feel it's fair game to post anything from it that would be pertinent to the present situation:

u6Ktppt.png

The snarky post that Chris was banned for occurred on September 19, at 9:14 AM PDT. This was after cvxfreak had already made some bad faith posts in the BiohazardERA server, mocking the Media Create regulars and community, and acting proud for "shutting Chris up":

GQRmTN6.png

niQUYBY.png

As can be seen, this post was made at on September 19, at 2:41 AM PDT, which... predates Chris's snarky post, obviously. How is it that cvxfreak is allowed to publicly (or privately, if you consider BiohazardERA to be a private community) make bad faith commentary against Chris and the Media Create community, but Chris is the one banned for perceived lack of decorum?

XppueEG.png

This is not the first time cvxfreak has behaved in bad faith, either, and I have further screenshots, should anyone be interested. I know this is about Chris, not me, but just recently, cvx brought up one of my Era bans to use against me in an argument, since a Resident Evil poll I made here did not go as he expected. Additionally, I've observed him waiting for one member in particular to slip-up, so that he can give him the banhammer.

If I get banned for this post, so be it. Thank you to all the mods and admins that have tried to keep the peace, but a serious conversation must be held with, and about the mods that do not.

tqxsRsV.png

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I want to preface this by saying I know I'm not a Media Create regular. I don't believe I've ever even previously posted in one of these sales threads, since I'm relatively uninterested in sales data. However, as it is of a direct relevance to the present situation with Chris, I feel I should at least offer up something that suggests even further that Chris's ban was unwarranted.

These posts are from the Era-affiliated "BiohazardERA" (Resident Evil) Discord server, which I've been in for awhile. The official stance from a moderator of both the server, and site (cvxfreak) is that the server is literally an extension of Era, and thus, I feel it's fair game to post anything from it that would be pertinent to the present situation:

u6Ktppt.png

The snarky post that Chris was banned for occurred on September 19, at 9:14 AM PDT. This was after cvxfreak had already made some bad faith posts in the BiohazardERA server, mocking the Media Create regulars and community, and acting proud for "shutting Chris up":

GQRmTN6.png

niQUYBY.png

As can be seen, this post was made at on September 19, at 2:41 AM PDT, which... predates Chris's snarky post, obviously. How is it that cvxfreak is allowed to publicly (or privately, if you consider BiohazardERA to be a private community) make bad faith commentary against Chris and the Media Create community, but Chris is the one banned for perceived lack of decorum?

XppueEG.png

This is not the first time cvxfreak has behaved in bad faith, either, and I have further screenshots, should anyone be interested. I know this is about Chris, not me, but just recently, cvx brought up one of my Era bans to use against me in an argument, since a Resident Evil poll I made here did not go as he expected. Additionally, I've observed him waiting for one member in particular to slip-up, so that he can give him the banhammer.

If I get banned for this post, so be it. Thank you to all the mods and admins that have tried to keep the peace, but a serious conversation must be held with, and about the mods that do not.

Please post everything.

Are you seeing this B-Dubs . Of course you are, this debacle must be dominating your headspace right now.

Indyana

Oct 27, 2017
Chris is officially done with ResetERA. He's not coming back.

That's it folks.
I've been mostly lurking these threads since the old site. Chris1964 has been an invaluable guide to understand the market and words cannot express what his leaving represents. I have only kind words towards him and his time expent on these threads. From the bottom of my heart, thank you and gospeed.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
based on previous messaging it seems at least one mod had oversight. At the least, it seems due diligence wasn't done.
At least 3 mods review a ban before hitting it and an admin has to sign off on anything greater than one month.

If you think this stops with cvx I recommend you keep digging.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
What a fucking shitshow. These threads are the main reason I visit this site, and this shit happens for no good reason. If the community sets up somewhere else I would appreciate a heads up so I can carry on lurking.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
You know, the fact that cvxfreak was already complaining about Chris, came in here and antagonized him, issued a day ban which led to perfectly expected results, and then came in and posted the new guidelines to discuss sales makes it seem like it was an intentional snipe to wrestle control of the media create threads away from Chris.

EDIT: Like, with those discord screenshots as context, going back and reading the mod posts honestly seems kind of sketchy.

Lately, there has been an uptick of reported posts and disciplinary action related to the weekly Media Create threads. Many posters have complained of no longer having a voice in these threads because certain posters, including thread regulars, have replied in a hostile or condescending manner. This needs to stop.
After discord screenshots indicate cvxfreak was not a fan of Chris. Followed by new guidelines to follow. And then:

Please read the Staff Post for guidance going forward. It will be posted in the MC threads for the next two weeks to help get posters up to speed.

Happy sales talk, everyone.

Followed by bans of anyone who dare complain about it.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
Well with Chris gone I don't really have a reason to visit this site anymore. When GAF went down and the communities were on discord, I know I wasn't alone when the deciding factor for Era was wherever Chris went. If he pops up somewhere else, someone please let me know.

If you think someone's trolling, report them. It's pretty much the general forum rules...
It's crazy, but I've made a few reports outside this thread, and from what I recall they've been responded to or resolved. I cannot think of a single time I've made a report in these threads that was answered

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This probably explains why people had a green light on the the MC community and were allowed to shit on us in plenty of other threads without getting warned....that's disappointing to say the least but explains a lot.

TornadoDDT

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 25, 2021
Can someone summarize what the hell happened? Seeing 2k posts for a sales thread caught my attention.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Well I don't really post on these threads but I read them weekly, and I used to post on them in the GAF days under my other username, but I'll be really sad to see Chris go. They've been an incredibly insightful user and one of the best posters these communities have ever produced, and hopefully this great loss will get the moderation team to figure some stuff out. It's hard to be hopeful after seeing similar situations play out again and again though.

I know others will be willing to fill his role but even as a non poster I've felt it was "wrong" in the past to have someone else do it (no offense to hero of legend lol).

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
At least 3 mods review a ban before hitting it and an admin has to sign off on anything greater than one month.

If you think this stops with cvx I recommend you keep digging.

It doesn't stop with cvx because this was a reasonable 1 day ban for multiple offenses, after prior warning. If yall had been mature about this it would have been a complete nothingburger.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
this sucks

A lot of my time on my forum was spent lurking on here & losing out on Chris is going to be hard. If he ever does move elsewhere & you know please do pm me

javac

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think they expected it to go this way at least, also where are all the people that were all for this now?

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Bruno MB is permabanned, because He criticised a mod or ERA in Twitter?
What is going on?? That cannot be the only reason....if that is true, i'm speachless!

What is going on...i'm soooo sad right now:(

Please mods of ERA, explain to the Community, please.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
FYI, you can report a mod (not saying that I did, BTW ¬_¬).
If anything, it might slightly annoy him or some other mod might see it before him.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This is the first time we're seeing any of this. The mod in question isn't online right now but we've removed him from duty while we look into it. Due to time zones it's going to take a while to figure out what's going on.

To quickly clarify one thing about any Discord as an "extension of Era", that's just not the case. As far as we know that Discord isn't even run by a staff member.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Can someone please let us know if this discussion is moving elsewhere. Sales age is the reason I came to GAF and the reason I came to ERA. I'd like to be a part of it going forward.

This whole thing has been an absolute shit show.

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
japanese sales threads are unique because they're the only place where you actually get a realistic snapshot of the industry on a regular basis. back in the 00s, we had the golden age of leaks, where we could understand what the market looked like in the united states on a monthly basis.

i think that things have settled down in the last 2-3 years to be honest. but the last 20 were incredibly tumultuous and fraught with drama. 1999-2001 was the death of the dreamcast, launch of ps2, xbox, and gamecube. there was this air around microsoft's entry into the market, the loss of sega, and the continued decline of nintendo that made it seem inevitable that the industry would be controlled by non-game makers. things really came to a head here with the ds and the psp - where the psp was meant to take down nintendo's final stronghold within the marketplace. when the drama of xbox overtaking nintendo's second place status in the us had died down, the handheld comparisons flared up between psp and ds. ds had a weak performance for the better part of a year, and then bounced back once it started receiving key software.

then the tables turned, and psp sales hit a plateau while ds sales skyrocketed - especially with the launch of ds lite, brain age, and new super mario bros. couple that with the surprise success of the wii, the surprise high price of the ps3, and there's a recipe for even more drama in the late 00s when companies left and right were merging or dying out to stay afloat in supporting the xbox 360 and/or ps3 instead of lowering their budgets and making games for less powerful hardware (though in some cases this did happen, hence the psp's late success in japan).

that run from 2001-2009 is probably the nastiest sales threads ever got. nintendo fans got shit on regularly, and playstation fans didn't know what failure felt like. when it switched around and nintendo was on top, there was this belief that the market would rally behind the top-selling hardware and it didn't happen. this is when nintendo fans were probably the most obnoxious.

things calmed down a lot when the wii u was bombing and so was the vita. it was sort of like things going back to 'normal' - ps4 was the top platform in the us, sony basically didn't have a handheld division anymore, and nintendo was making bottom-rung-selling hardware again. 3ds did well in japan and worldwide as nintendo's mainstream platform, but i don't recall any obnoxious fandom in particular from this timeframe.

the last few years with the final death of the vita, the weirdness of the ps4's decline and the ps5's okay hardware sales and abysmal software sales, coupled with the switch looking like it will hit the upper echelon of the best-selling hardware in japan - it's like a repeat of the mid-00s, except quieter. for the most part, developers have rallied behind the switch in a way they didn't with the wii. it just makes absences, such as madden, for example, the more glaring. and i think there's this expectation that especially japan will get on board because it appears that at long last, the writing is on the wall.

within all of that though is still the warring fandoms that made sales-age and sales-era into what they are. like, i started following dengeki threads to get a better understanding of how nintendo was performing in japan. on neogaf, i'd have my monthly updates on gamecube software sales and also sega third-party sales (to prove they were doing poorly on xbox you see - because of my bitterness over shenmue ii not releasing on dreamcast in the us). it's part of the dna of these threads.

i think that making restera's versions of nagoshi and harada and kondo is weird though, and would argue that discussion about these people only makes sense when they're ones making comments directly or were known to be in charge of a specific project that recently launched.

this was a stream of consciousness. sorry. i'm tired.

edit: to clarify the above - i realize looking at it now that it might come across as 'these threads have always been toxic and that's okay.' the intent was 'these threads have always had toxic elements and here's why.' that said, they've seemed pretty chill to me for the last decade or so.
Yeah I had always been lurking VG Chartz and Gaf back in the day to see how the market was with the big 3. It was a fascinating time from the times where Sony was struggling, to when they surged with the ps4 and Nintendo basically flip flopping with Sony. Now it's happened again, albeit I think Sony's sales are fine for the most part(stock actually doing amazing). It's just that Switch is such a well made hybrid console! I feel like all 3 are doing pretty well atm even though there is a chip crisis still going on.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I mean even if you genuinely grant things were in good faith (which may be in doubt, but grant it for a moment) it is just really awkward when a mod is directly involved in an argument with a poster about whatever thing and then that poster ends up banned. I know it was just a 1 day ban, who really cares, a day is nothing. But mods probably shouldn't even get involved in generalized argumentative discussion just as a general rule unless it involves rule enforcement, because there is no way the optics will turn out beneficial for the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.