• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
So no speculative talk? Anyone can post any rumours they find on 4chan, reddit and make all speculations they want. If people see a trend from a publisher the normal conclusion is to speculate here and there. Talking strictly sales will make this threads a copy of the NPDs. 3 pages filled with Nintendo doing well! Sony is a beast! Well done e3!

Lower level commentary that doesnt encourage conversation.
Accusations should not be done based on speculations, guesses, opinions, or rumors.
If you are realizing it is speculative and not facts, I think it doesn't lead to be problematic.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but after the strange 1 ban without proper warning I am not sure
Have you read B-dubs mod post before? Apparently Chris did a warning a day before, and thus they gave him the shortest ban possible as part of standard policy. The staff post was unrelated but they admitted was poorly timed coming right after Chris got his 1-day ban. Honestly a lot of folks should just cool off for a bit before posting, rather then doom & gloom posting about MC's future before anything's really happened. Hopefully some of the short bans will act as a cool off session for folks.

This is rather nice.

I wanted to reply to one of Ishaan's comment with something like this. Well put!
Glad you thought so!

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Klonoa has never been a big franchise in Japan (nor worldwide as far as I know). It was Namco's attempt to jump on the platform mascot wagon when the genre was huge.

[PS1] Klonoa: Door to Phantomile <ACT> (Namco) {1997.12.11} (¥5.800) - 48.950 / 112.575
[WSN] Klonoa: Moonlight Museum # <ACT> (Bandai) {1999.05.20} (¥3.800) - 13.766 / 13.766
[WSN] Klonoa: Moonlight Museum (1/1)(Gift Box Plus WonderSwan) <ACT> (Bandai) {1999.11.11} (¥6.800)
[GBA] Klonoa: Empire of Dreams <ACT> (Namco) {2001.07.19} (¥5.800) - 15.923 / 50.698
[PS2] Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil <ACT> (Namco) {2001.03.22} (¥6.800) - 33.785 / 74.233
[GBA] Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil <ACT> (Namco) {2002.08.06} (¥4.800) - 4.315 / 4.315
[PS1] Klonoa: Beach Volleyball <SPT> (Namco) {2002.04.25} (¥4.800) - 3.230 / 3.230
[GBA] Klonoa Heroes <RPG> (Namco) {2002.12.13} (¥4.800)
[WII] Klonoa: Door to Phantomile <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2008.12.04} (¥4.800) - 5.800 / 5.800

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I have been following MC threads since 2004. I don't always post much anymore (since I no longer have time for "Vinnk"s Village") but I don't think I have missed reading then even a single week.

I was writing up a post with my thoughts about about what went down this week. I think It was very respectful. The people in these threads are very, very important to me (even the ones I disagree with). But before I posted it, I reconsidered and deleted it. Because I don't know what's ok anymore...

And I think that's the post.

Deleted member 59

I have been following MC threads since 2004. I don't always post much anymore (since I no longer have time for "Vinnk"s Village") but I don't think I have missed reading then even a single week.

I was writing up a post with my thoughts about about what went down this week. I think It was very respectful. The people in these threads are very, very important to me (even the ones I disagree with). But before I posted it, I reconsidered and deleted it. Because I don't know what's ok anymore...

I think people just need to carry on as normal and then we'll see if what is posted is ok or not..

Vinnks Village are/were always a highlight whenever they pop up :)

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (permanent): troll account
RankConsoleGameTotalChangeDays leftPricePublisher
1NSWPokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl252+260¥5,980Pokemon Co.
2NSWPokemon Legends: Arceus106+1130¥5,980Pokemon Co.
3NSWShin Megami Tensei V86+152¥8,980Atlus
4PS4Lost Judgment66+44¥8,290Sega
5NSWSuper Robot Wars 3035+138¥8,600Bandai Namco
6PS4The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki33+310¥7,800Nihon Falcom
7PS4Super Robot Wars 3029038¥8,600Bandai Namco
8PS4Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Hinokami Chronicles23024¥7,600Aniplex
9PS5Lost Judgment2004¥8,290Sega
10NSWDragon Ball Z: Kakarot + A New Power Awakens Set1602¥6,680Bandai Namco
11NSWMario Party: Superstars16039¥5,980Nintendo
12PS4Blue Reflection: Second Light15031¥7,800Koei Tecmo
13NSWBlue Reflection: Second Light13031¥7,800Koei Tecmo
14PS4Melty Blood: Type Lumina13010¥6,800Delight Works
15NSWMetroid Dread12018¥6,980Nintendo
16NSWMelty Blood: Type Lumina11010¥6,800Delight Works

Comg Combined SKU Charts

Credit - theDX from Vgcharts
Source - Comg website.

Comparison -

lost Judgement - 86 (4 days to go)

Judgement - 90 (last day). FW - 232 (Also released on holiday season)
Maybe Lost Judgment can do close to the numbers of the first game

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Have you read B-dubs mod post before? Apparently Chris did a warning a day before, and thus they gave him the shortest ban possible as part of standard policy. The staff post was unrelated but they admitted was poorly timed coming right after Chris got his 1-day ban. Honestly a lot of folks should just cool off for a bit before posting, rather then doom & gloom posting about MC's future before anything's really happened. Hopefully some of the short bans will act as a cool off session for folks.

Glad you thought so!

The warning he got was a reply to a troll, which is hilarious that was him the warned and not the other that has been trolling in these threads for weeks.
After that, he got the ban after been sarcastic about a mod.

Just to be real, this won't be the same anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
The warning he got was a reply to a troll, which is hilarious that was him the warned and not the other that has been trolling in these threads for weeks.

Yeah everything won't be the same right now. Lelouch stops doing NPD, Bruno is perma banned for some reason, we don't know whether Chris will return.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

Chris knows he is appreciated and loved by the community and I would miss his insights and funny replies if he were to no longer participate in these discussions but change can be a good thing sometimes. A few folks here come off as really aggressive and that makes people wary of participating.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
Echoing the sentiments that I hope Chris and the other banned regulars will return here, or that they let me in if they go somewhere else. I've been lurking these threads for years and always enjoy reading them even if I don't participate very often.

Ideally the new and improved™ moderation will deal with the trolls and drive bys that have been plaguing these threads for months on end, and caused this mess in the first place. The results so far look grim.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap, I didn't realize Bruno was permabanned. For an off-site comment? Is that even following the rules? That's a huge loss.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah everything won't be the same right now. Lelouch stops doing NPD, Bruno is perma banned for some reason, we don't know whether Chris will return.
BrunoMB is gone as well ? Uff...man this is getting too much at once.
Those were all sales era pillars, man i dont know...EU threads weere already quite a bit smaller than MC/NPD, without Bruno its gonna be even worse for people interested in EU data.

I think most of us feel the same. Its a weird feeling.
Despite all the BS going on, the sales community era was something you could always rely on for providing something interesting to talk about every single week. This kind of development is sad to see, since it only affected MVP users that provided so much good content.

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
So... they took the time of searching for Bruno's Twitter account and check if he said something there? ok...

RevoDave

Banned
Apr 17, 2021
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory Accusations, Modwhining and Prior Ban for the Same; Account in Junior Phase
I hope ResetEra dissapears, and they stop winning money with this dictatorial masked as leftist treatment.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
its-groundhog-day-again-reporting.gif

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh thanks. Wait, I thought off site drama was not a reason for bans?

Holy crap, I didn't realize Bruno was permabanned. For an off-site comment? Is that even following the rules? That's a huge loss.

So... they took the time of searching for Bruno's Twitter account and check if he said something there? ok...
What are you talking about, of course people should be banned for off-site shit. Mods getting harassed for doing a thankless job is no joke.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the explanations, B-Dubs, and for acknowledging that errors have been made. Hopefully the community can move forward and these threads work as you have envisioned rather than as many fear.

Thanks for the clarification B-Dubs. Appreciate the effort to find mods that also are regulars in the thread.

Also I did want to respond to something said by some posters earlier in the thread. It may not be obvious without context, but folks in these threads like video games, are curious about how they sell, and want them to sell well and be successful. The vast majority of us are not cheerleading any particular platform, but the industry itself.

Thus when posters might ask "why didn't release X on all platforms", it's because we think business-wise they may be missing out on a significant set of players on the missing platform. Rarely if ever do people seem to be pushing for exclusives (it happens occasionally, but it's rare). More often than not we just want multiplatform development, since that taps into all the potential player bases. We just want games to succeed, and thus think about ways that a potential title could have sold better. Sometimes it needs more marketing (see NEO TWEWY), sometimes it's leaving out platforms where similar titles have done well (Sakura Wars), and other times it's not appealing or it's super buggy (recent Marvelous titles). Just because we're critical of the business decisions made doesn't mean we hate the people involved or the company. We just disagree with the decisions, especially when it ends up with a bad sales result especially in Japan. Sometimes we end up ribbing particular individuals or companies, but it's largely in good fun rather than some malicious intent.

So when folks are asking "why isn't this on Switch", it's not because they're port begging, it's because the game is missing out on a huge traditional and successful userbase in Japan. When the recent baseball game from Konami came to Switch only, many people were asking the exact opposite question "why did they abandon PS4 already, they have a sizable userbase there". When Monster Hunter World came out and was quite successful (a slight decline in Japan and grew a ton worldwide), most folks didn't question the decision after the results, because clearly Capcom had a plan, the game was high budget, and they succeeded. They also even had a backup plan with Monster Hunter Rise, which shows Capcom had really thought things through. When Xbox does well, pretty much everyone cheers it on, because having more relevant players in the space indicates a healthier market. Just because the Switch is doing well and we're cheering it on, or PS5 software sales are poor atm and we point it out, doesn't mean we're "supporting" some console. We're stating facts as they are, celebrating successes, and bemoaning failures. When the Wii U flopped sales-wise around the world, Media Create made tons more fun of the Wii U with numerous memes, chalkboards, etc. Folks took it in stride. PS5 hasn't received half of that even though sadly the software situation somehow looks even worse than the Wii U.

Anyways, just wanted to put my thoughts out there. I agree with the mods message that we could be a lot more civil. If there are trolls or folks trying to agitate others, all I've got to say is report them, then ignore them, and move on.

Thank you for this post. I suscribe it word for word. I'm going to bookmark it for the future.

if he comes back he should just make threads and haves very minimal interaction on the threads

Mmmm... If he comes back (which I hope he does), don't you think it's up to him to decide how to engage?

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mainly lurk here but I read the Media Create Threads weekly and… Yeah, I feel worried right now. It feels weird seeing so many regulars who made this thread great banned, even if temporarily. I hope it can go back to how it used to but if it doesn't… Something special was just lost.

Apr 26, 2020
I find it funny how this freaking site (maybe) killed off an important part of this forums culture. Good job! This is some A-class example ''how not to enforce new rules'''

Owh yeah... keep mod duties to things done on this site, instead of off the site. Thank you very much.
And for the slightest chance to get them back. A true hearthfelt apology needs to be made, and i would even say some mods needs to get sacked and i wouldnt blame them. I would stay away as well

Last edited:

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow we propably lost Chris, Lelouch said he doesn't wanna continue and we definetly lost Bruno MB thanks to someone being petty.
Good Job Mods and Admins on killing maybe the biggest thing that made this place stand out to other gaming forums and discords.

gg

Oct 25, 2017
Just because I'm willing to play along with this new situation doesn't excuse the fact that none of this was handled right. Absolutely none of it, regardless of what intentions staff had, or what their endgame for better discussion is, absolutely none of that excuses how this was proceeded.

I have been absolutely livid the past 24 hours on how any of this went down, about how any of this required the force that was shown. And I won't forget it. Just because you didn't mean for this to happen, or mean for it to look like it happened because of certain reasons does not take away that it still happened. I'd say I would hope staff will do better with this community from this point forward, but I don't have much to go with.

See you next thread.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the clarification B-Dubs. Appreciate the effort to find mods that also are regulars in the thread.

Also I did want to respond to something said by some posters earlier in the thread. It may not be obvious without context, but folks in these threads like video games, are curious about how they sell, and want them to sell well and be successful. The vast majority of us are not cheerleading any particular platform, but the industry itself.

Thus when posters might ask "why didn't release X on all platforms", it's because we think business-wise they may be missing out on a significant set of players on the missing platform. Rarely if ever do people seem to be pushing for exclusives (it happens occasionally, but it's rare). More often than not we just want multiplatform development, since that taps into all the potential player bases. We just want games to succeed, and thus think about ways that a potential title could have sold better. Sometimes it needs more marketing (see NEO TWEWY), sometimes it's leaving out platforms where similar titles have done well (Sakura Wars), and other times it's not appealing or it's super buggy (recent Marvelous titles). Just because we're critical of the business decisions made doesn't mean we hate the people involved or the company. We just disagree with the decisions, especially when it ends up with a bad sales result especially in Japan. Sometimes we end up ribbing particular individuals or companies, but it's largely in good fun rather than some malicious intent.

So when folks are asking "why isn't this on Switch", it's not because they're port begging, it's because the game is missing out on a huge traditional and successful userbase in Japan. When the recent baseball game from Konami came to Switch only, many people were asking the exact opposite question "why did they abandon PS4 already, they have a sizable userbase there". When Monster Hunter World came out and was quite successful (a slight decline in Japan and grew a ton worldwide), most folks didn't question the decision after the results, because clearly Capcom had a plan, the game was high budget, and they succeeded. They also even had a backup plan with Monster Hunter Rise, which shows Capcom had really thought things through. When Xbox does well, pretty much everyone cheers it on, because having more relevant players in the space indicates a healthier market. Just because the Switch is doing well and we're cheering it on, or PS5 software sales are poor atm and we point it out, doesn't mean we're "supporting" some console. We're stating facts as they are, celebrating successes, and bemoaning failures. When the Wii U flopped sales-wise around the world, Media Create made tons more fun of the Wii U with numerous memes, chalkboards, etc. Folks took it in stride. PS5 hasn't received half of that even though sadly the software situation somehow looks even worse than the Wii U.

Anyways, just wanted to put my thoughts out there. I agree with the mods message that we could be a lot more civil. If there are trolls or folks trying to agitate others, all I've got to say is report them, then ignore them, and move on.

I'm sorry but this is a very white washed picture of how these events went. Especially the monster hunter situation. There is a level of vitriol when anyone has suggested games that are typically exclusive to Nintendo go multiplatform versus the pervasive "wisdom" of all playstation exclusive games should target switch/current Nintendo product and port up. I've followed this community since gaming age and opa age were a thing. It's always been the same thing "every game should be on my console of choice" whether that be PlayStation, Xbox or Nintendo veiled as sales analysis. The discourse usually stayed more balanced before ERA and groups could mass report to drive out dissenting opinions. I recall near MHW's release when a thoughtful, fair and reasonable poster Test (I believe their name was) being threatened with a "report" for posting preorder data that showed MHW may actually be successful in Japan.

Also the continued talk about consulting the "regulars" will just leave this community to remain the way it is and shows a lack of self awareness and introspection. We'll be right back to this point again when the next big non switch game hits.

Anyway that's my two cents. I've regulated my self to just reading the chart each week anyway. Only reason I know about this is that it has spilled over to the rest of the internet. My main point is that calling people "trolls" and blaming "outsiders" for the issues in the thread is exactly the issue with the discourse in the thread. It shouldn't be treated as some safe space and that mentality won't lead to any changes but maybe that's the goal.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about, of course people should be banned for off-site shit. Mods getting harassed for doing a thankless job is no joke.
Usually off site drama is is being frowned up on and shouldnt be brought up in here ?
Ive seen people criticize mods or ERA on other sites/twitter before, this is the first time ive seen someone getting straight up permabanned for it. Especially since there was no warning or the user never had any bans or issues on ERA before that. It just comes out of left field for some of us.

Is it part of the ERA rules that off site comments will get you banned ? I never witnessed it so its new to me.
To be fair i dont know what the comment sounded like and what the issue was between bruno and the mod but it must have been severe for that result. Maybe there was a history between the two, i dont have any insight to.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
While I agree that discussion here was becoming far too aggressive and kinda like a closed circle, and there was a need for mods intervention, the way to deal with it left a very bad taste in my mouth and it seems all of us feel that way, Its too controlling, it made me feel like we are in kindergarten, being told what to say and what not to say. c'mon, we are not kids. for example the idea of "accusations" is very strange, its called discussion and theorizing and there are many things that point to such practices existing strongly (like CC2 videos, and I can dig up many other pieces here and there), we are not making things out of thin air nor are we "taking sides for our favorite company", if you think we are wrong disapprove us then, instead of forcing strict rules that will make this thread nothing but a cheerleading circle. Believe me no company is patting an eye over our discussions.
This is not mentioning the idea of "port begging" because discussion about the release of a game is not the same as port begging at all (even though I admit port begging happens here sometimes and in other parts of the forum as well). so now if I tried to discuss why game A or B is releasing or not releasing on X or Y system, I should expect to be banned because maybe I will be reported or a mod can read my intentions like whatever they want? What are we supposed to discuss exactly in this thread? I support the idea of quality discussion strongly but this will not lead to it.

I would also say that Chris didn't deserve a ban even for one day, he has always been a very respectful person, never attacked or insulted any other member, and if he disagreed with a mod, it shouldn't lead to himget banned in any way. I will be very honest and I'll say that Chris is the main reason why I check here every day and I always search for his replies along some others, his insights are valuable and they are creating a community or at least helping to create it greatly, if Chris decided to move on I'll simply follow, its the members who create the community, and Chris is not even the only valuable sales member who has been mistreated.

This is some honest feedback about the most important thread here to me, if it became unnecessary, any mod can feel free to delete it.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Wow we propably lost Chris, Lelouch said he doesn't wanna continue
Yeah that's understandable, after all the hard work he provided.
This is probably my last time interacting with those thread (if they continue) as well since at best you'd just have numbers but no explanation as to what is currently happening in Japan.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God, where was this ages ago near the founding of era? Why was there such a fight to get GonzotheGreat banned which cost plenty of users for bringing up off-site drama about him who was an openly nazi pedo everywhere but era. Same exact thing happened with Black Chambers who was an openly MAGA nazi everywhere but era.

The first instance we see of banning a person for saying something off-site and it's a remark about an admin and nothing even remotely comparable to harassment or even similar to the above or any other times mods and admins wouldn't listen about fascists on the forums.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Usually off site drama is is being frowned up on and shouldnt be brought up in here ?
Ive seen people criticize mods or ERA on other sites/twitter before, this is the first time ive seen someone getting straight up permabanned for it. Especially since there was no warning or the user never had any bans or issues on ERA before that. It just comes out of left field for some of us.

Is it part of the ERA rules that off site comments will get you banned ? I never witnessed it so its new to me.
To be fair i dont know what the comment sounded like and what the issue was between bruno and the mod but it must have been severe for that result. Maybe there was a history between the two, i dont have any insight to.
What rock you living under? Lots of dangerous people hate this site because it's largely left-leaning. There is a history of mods and regular posters being harassed off-site so of course they shouldn't allowed to continue being members here if they're engaging in that sort of activity.

While I agree that discussion here was becoming far too aggressive and kinda like a closed circle, and there was a need for mods intervention, the way to deal with it left a very bad taste in my mouth and it seems all of us feel that way, Its too controlling, it made me feel like we are in kindergarten, being told what to say and what not to say. c'mon, we are not kids.

The posts I read in here after that first staff post were some of the most childish, dramatic, and entitled posts I've ever read on this site. People were absolutely acting like children in here and still are. This is a thread about video game sales data. If everyone took a breather for a couple of days instead of posting hostile shit you all wouldn't be in this situation.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I recall near MHW's release when a thoughtful, fair and reasonable poster Test (I believe their name was) being threatened with a "report" for posting preorder data that showed MHW may actually be successful in Japan.

If that's what you remember then you either have a bad understanding of what happened or just a bad memory.
The problem was that it was posting daily comgnet preorders for weeks, something which was never done before and never happened afterwards, and it litterally took pages and pages of every thread with the same exact reactions to the same daily chart with a few extra preorders daily.

The fact is Comgnet is a chain of 13 retail stores that accounts for <0.1% of sales in Japan but was occupying close to half the content of the thread at times with most of it being straightforward chearleading, most members just asked to come back for weekly updates (which is roughly how it was before and how it's been since) because nothing meaningful ever came from these daily posts.

To try to frame it as "MC thread trying to hide MHW future success under the rug" is completely ridiculous (you can't hide numbers here)
If you're talking about "other preorder data" though feel free to share

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What rock you living under? Lots of dangerous people hate this site because it's largely left-leaning. There is a history of mods and regular posters being harassed off-site so of course they shouldn't allowed to continue being members here if they're engaging in that sort of activity.
Left leaning? Maybe to right wingers and fascists. But really, era is more Libertarian.

To go off-topic for a bit, I've been in a lot of threads since the founding, and one thing I've noticed and talk about all the time on my own Twitter is how profoundly sinophobic era has been that is no different from even outside of the forums. How anti-sex and sex negative the forums are. etc. etc. There's a large lacking in intersectionality on this forum when it comes to a lot of discussion, and it's only gotten worse because plenty have left over poor moderation and failing to prevent a lot of preventable things.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

We are talking about person that was a ERA member for years until yesterday ? Lets not leave out that context.
Its not like he was some nutjob harassing ERA and it mods for years (at least not that i know of). Sorry that i dont follow 24/7 what is being said on other plattform about ERA - how am i supposed to know behind the scene stuff when i dont engage in it and it usually gets shut down when being discussed here as well? I mostly surf and get my info directly from ERA.

All i said is i didnt know that people get permabanned for off site comments unless they are severe in terms of insulting people or for some crazy comments.

Maybe im too naive for whatever goes on behind the scene and off site but as a regular member its weird to see a sales era pillar of years just getting permbanned without actually knowing what happened. If there is some lack of transparency its normal that people gonna ask for stuff to be clarified.

To end this discussion, seems it was known that off site actions will result in a ban on ERA - that was new to me, good to know.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As one of the more frequently dissenting voices in the thread I'm not sure what going thermonuclear is meant to achieve. You've all had ample opportunity to come in and tell people to chill the fuck out.

I'm not sure why it's being pinned on "Tales drama" either when said drama consisted of an argument mainly between me and several other based on the actual data, and whether that represented a good result or not for the series based on the past results. When people got too heated again they should have been told to cool off.

It's abundantly clear that the catalyst for this was Chris being undeniably rude about comments Matsuyama made, but I don't think the way CVXFreak responded was particularly productive. The new guidelines suggest that the less in the know should be educated with data but we were all basically called ignorant and told to educate ourselves.

I'm not sure what outcome you want for the community based on the guidelines but if it's more open, back and forth discussion you're not going to get it. The end result will be that these threads become cheerleading opportunities rife with misinformation as long as it's said in a nice way and is positive about something. People will be afraid to challenge it lest they be seen as too negative of a publisher, industry figure, platform or the user they are responding to.

Status
Not open for further replies.