• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
I understand where everyone is coming from, but I think it would be fair to at least give the new guidelines 1 week, no? Whether or not Chris's ban was in the right or the motivations behind it, hiska has the right take at the moment, I think.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
What happened here? Going back a few pages to see whats up. Sad to see Chris has been banned. He can be sarcastic but I usually have a good laugh at his posts. Probably the funniest poster in here.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Mod whining, using an extremely inappropriate comparison invoking minority groups
Let's see how the threads are moderated going forward. They weren't really moderated at all, trolls or regulars, in the past. If bad faith posters (actual bad faith posters, not people who are curious about the market but aren't as knowledgeable) continue to go unactioned, I'm sure cvxfreak will take a look at it.

The rules are flexible/amenable if they don't work out for the better or cause other issues.
These types of sweeping guidelines have worked out so well in the past and will definitely fix things.

*looks at PC Era, AsiaEra and Trans Era*

I just don't have any faith in that.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Temporarily locked while we review the reports coming in.

Staff warning

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Thread unlocked.

Staff are open to criticism regarding the rules we set in place, especially when it is taken to the appropriate channels. However, that criticism should never jump the line into attacking staff or conspiratorial accusations of bias.

It also shouldn't jump the line into equating the issues of minority communities with video game sales data.

Behave yourselves. Any posts violating any rules here or in cvx's post will be actioned accordingly.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No comment in 6 minutes since thread was re-opened. Says it all really. Wonder how long it would've lasted if I wasn't impatient to make a point lol.

eff me. And I don't curse often...

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Have to say, I've been impressed with Ring Fit over the weeks. I remember the early days when there was no stock, I thought it would lose the opportunity to capitalise on that launch wave, but it's been there, continuing to smoulder away.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think y'all are open to criticisms if the immediate response is to ban a lot of people for being heated in their words. This is exactly what the trolls wanted too. How do any of you expect us to have faith in you when you keep repeating the same exact mistake over and over with no change to your strategy. No reflection to what you're doing to a community or communities. And no sensibility to your actions. No, instead you keep repeatedly playing into the hands of bad actors every time.

Maybe try communication and participation. Maybe try verbal warnings, rather than immediately going for the hammer. You shook the entire community in a single night and just going on a banning spree only increases the magnitude and aftershock.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Antagonistic meta-commentary and platform wars, multiple prior bans for platform wars
Not gonna lie, it's hard to read the staff post as anything other than endorsement for the pro-PlayStation trolling that's been plaguing this thread for a while.

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
Official Staff Communication
It also shouldn't jump the line into equating the issues of minority communities with video game sales data.
I really didn't see anyone do this though. People were just comparing the behaviour of the staff, they weren't comparing the issues of minority communities with sales data. I don't think it's fair to those people to pretend otherwise.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really didn't see anyone do this though. People were just comparing the behaviour of the staff, they weren't comparing the issues of minority communities with sales data. I don't think it's fair to those people to pretend otherwise.

Yep agreed. In a post where they say they are open to criticism, their contradictory actions speak louder than their words. I was not 'active' back then, but IIRC it is generally accepted that for the Cyperpunk debacle the mods have accepted that they made mistakes. Yet pointing out that same/similar mistakes are being arguably repeated here is not acceptable? Why?

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonistic meta-commentary and platform wars
Not gonna lie, it's hard to read the staff post as anything other than endorsement for the pro-PlayStation trolling that's been plaguing this thread for a while.

The narrative in Western media is quite clear, painting Playstation as the undisputed market leader worldwide, that actual information is available that clearly demonstrates the opposite in certain markets is a thorn to a lot of eyes. Even Microsoft/Xbox has to deal with this unfair treatment, despite of their immense financial resources. That's also a reason that quite a few people would like less data and would be even favourable for MediaCreate Threads to disappear just to push their misleading marketing narrative with no contradiction . Because with verifiable data you can call out, misleading narrative. That there seems to be a push to position specific corporations and their leaders above criticism is very unfortunate. You can criticise Nintendo and Xbox all you want in many threads, but IT IS obvious where often the actual lines are drawn and it's obvious to whose favour and whose detriment these lines are drawn, there is a clear parttern.

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Welp. I hope Chris and the others stay but I wouldn't blame them if they leave lol.

I mainly just lurk and post once in a while but the weekly data is always interesting, so I do hope they keep posting them.

Just my little opinion xD

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I really don't like how this whole thing has been handled. Community consultation was needed here especially with more prominent members of the community.

The thing I don't understand is that all that was really needed was more regular moderation and letting people know to cool off a bit. I don't think we needed an 8 point manual to posting in media create threads. Just regular reminders that this thread is actually being moderated and letting people know to knock it off when they become too passive aggressive or trolling gets out of hand.

You can't let it fester and then go nuclear like this.

Deleted member 59

I don't post in these threads often more of a lurker but have been since the GAF days and even made the first MC thread on era after the transition while waiting for chris to get an approved account. I do hope Chris keeps making these threads as it is one of the only I actively check and lurk on here outside of a few box OT threads, and I need Hisa-uns tables and graphs every week ha.

That being said, I know this thread has always been more of a community thread rather than purely discussing the weekly sales, but right now I think we all/people need to just take a step back and a breather and just go back to talking about sales right now. Im sure the threads will generally remain the same going forward. We just need to see how things go. The mods have already said they will be open to feedback if we feel things aren't working so if they aren't we should feedback to them in a constructive way and discuss between us how that should be done.

Anyway, Lost Judgment this week. I'm sure we have another underperforming PS5 title on our hands (for JPN) but I assume PS5 will do the WW heavy lifting to balance that out for Sega. I'll be buying on xbox.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I'm actually kinda befuddled sony has been funding SQE like this, final fantasy sells well obviously but not like it's all that consistent, one game has sold like 8 million somehow but another game that was probably pretty expensive has sold atleast 5 million but square hasent gloated about it's sales since.

Obviously it's all about the long term but If their goal is to have the jrpg/anime market in their advantage then it's not going great, because Sony is essentially just helping fund games like FF and such, they aren't paying any real attention to smaller games like atelier or disgaea. The jrpg market isn't just final fantasy and square games anymore. There's alot of smaller ones out that are now even selling better on PC and switch.

Along with that but as games like fire emblem, persona, SMT, Xenoblade, etc. Continue to grow, square's importance continues to dinimish

Because they are the ones having the biggest audience tied to them for the genre.

In terms of sales SE is really hard to read because for some titles they keep updating sales and for others they only do it for the first couple months. It seems to change based which teams are behind the game how open they talk sales. Likes theres no way SE is increasing budget (which we have credible rumors for) for Part 2 if Part 1 didnt exceed their expectations.

But this went on to long so my point is: they invest in the biggest player because it has the biggest audience tied to their big titles. Even if others are growing still no one is touching FF in sales outside of other SE IPs (WW, Japan might change).

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
I think the best thing we can do for the rest of the night/morning is try to talk about sales. Even if we were to give feedback on guidelines, I don't think any of us, mods included, are cooled off enough yet.
Hopefully if and when Chris comes back we can have a thorough discussion about the rules and how they affect both sides of this situation.

VelvetMonkey

Aug 18, 2020
I think that even if Cvx felt that Chris' tone was getting too heated and thus warranted a ban, it is undeniable imo that punishing him for trolling with a ban was going to upset the community, given its ongoing issue with trolling in these threads and the lack of bans.

As a lurker and an absolute nobody, I felt like the original exchange was handled poorly in general, there was heavy sarcasm but I also personally felt that Cvx's first post was a bit condescending and patronizing in its tone. Both of those don't seem like a huge deal to me and definitely didn't need such an escalation.

More moderation is definitely welcomed, because I think that the lack of it is what contributed to this, and why Chris' ban feels so egregious. I hope the new guidelines will serve the posters (and readers! I see that many like me lurk these threads because of the great info they provide) of this thread well.

Just my two cents.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Modwhining Over a Series of Posts, Inflammatory Comparison, Prior Severe Ban, Hostile Misuse of the Ticket System
Now news, Resetera mod will never change anything and will ban anyone who dare to criticize them. See you at Etika thread. It's that same shit all over again.

Last edited:

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like the first mod post stemmed from a lack of familiarity with this community, which provoked a unanimous negative reaction from regulars, then the moderation doubled down on their mistake with a slew of bans directed at the wrong people. This community is possibly in jeopardy due to a lack of understanding of the real problems these threads had been facing. If the moderation admits their unfamiliarity with a community and all the regulars of said community react negatively to the moderation's decisions, that should be a big sign that doubling down on that is not the answer. Bad night for the Media Create community, and I think a huge mistake on the moderation's part.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I think the best thing we can do for the rest of the night/morning is try to talk about sales. Even if we were to give feedback on guidelines, I don't think any of us, mods included, are cooled off enough yet.
Hopefully if and when Chris comes back we can have a thorough discussion about the rules and how they affect both sides of this situation.

It's pretty difficult to just pretend this never happened and just jump back into sales discussion, people are heated and want to have their say about a community we all care about. Things might cool down and we can hopefully get back to what this thread should be about.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
It's pretty difficult to just pretend this never happened and just jump back into sales discussion, people are heated and want to have their say about a community we all care about. Things might cool down and we can hopefully get back to what this thread should be about.
Not saying we should just forget, just that note might not be the best time for discussion regarding the recent bans and such. Right now a lot us are in emotional mind and we would all communicate our thoughts better when we return to our rational minds. Even if what we're saying may be valid, it's likely to come out the wrong way and result in more bans or regretful comments.

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly it's hard to go back to talking about sales right now with the ban graveyard that happened. I feel this should have been discussed with the whole community some more and not just a part of it.

Right now it feels like only the regulars got banned.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Regardless of past experiences with other threads, I doubt cvxfreak appreciates people assuming motivations or putting words in their mouth. I asked him some questions to clarify some of the rules and the answers I got were that the team was open to feedback and the rules would apply to all.

by saying that this thread is doomed to fail, it makes light of cvxfreak's comments, which I don't think they would appreciate.

if we say the mods are unlikely to change and that they've doomed these weekly threads…well you're sure as hell unlikely to convince them to come to the table to discuss bans, conduct, and rules going forward. We should at least give them a fair opportunity to prove their statements true.

Deleted member 81269

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
The narrative in Western media is quite clear, painting Playstation as the undisputed market leader worldwide, that actual information is available that clearly demonstrates the opposite in certain markets is a thorn to a lot of eyes. Even Microsoft/Xbox has to deal with this unfair treatment, despite of their immense financial resources. That's also a reason that quite a few people would like less data and would be even favourable for MediaCreate Threads to disappear just to push their misleading marketing narrative with no contradiction . Because with verifiable data you can call out, misleading narrative. That there seems to be a push to position specific corporations and their leaders above criticism is very unfortunate. You can criticise Nintendo and Xbox all you want in many threads, but IT IS obvious where often the actual lines are drawn and it's obvious to whose favour and whose detriment these lines are drawn, there is a clear parttern.
More PlayStation 4s were sold than Xbox Ones that is a fact. Actually it's maybe a fact since Xbox now hides console sale numbers but I doubt they sold 118m Xbox Ones.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Never realized Tri-crescendo worked on Berseria and now Arise. This feels so weird to read considering the history between Namco and Wolf Team that lead to the creation of Tri-Crescendo and Tri-Ace.

It's ironic yeah, especially when it's Hatsushiba who's leading the Tri Crescendo team on this.
Considering how small they are I'd say working on Tales has been Tri Crescendo main gig for the last 6 years or so

unknown.png

unknown.png

and if you feel someone is incorrect in their interpretation of data, constructively correct them (in as much detail as possible) instead of mocking them. Make yourself useful, not disruptive.

Going back to the Brandolini's law this is effectively penalizing active users who have to put up with a lot of work and organizing informations litterally taking hours or more to actively refute a user like Caiops*, the current flavour of Sony's cheerleading in this thread, have been refuted properly many times already but only to see the "constructive post" being dismissed with a "oh ok", only to see aforementioned poster coming back full force with another completely uninformed post the next week if not a few days later in the exact same thread.

Cue and repeat the same cyclical stuff for years, with the same kind of users showing actual 0 interest in data, making no efforts to educate themselves and improve their knowledge despite having access to 99% of the same sources every regular users here have (which are, just for info)

• Gamesdatalibrary
  • Garaph
  • Media Create CY thread XXXX (replace XXXX with the year you're looking for on google search, 2017 and onwards are on era, before that on the old place), also actually the best source of data since it's up to dat with LTD numbers and MC is more widely used in the japanese videogame industry
  • And of course historical weekly sales data available in every single first post of every single MC threads

That's it, all it takes is a quick google search and or a few clicks, if you don't bother doing that before posting your single line troll post for the XXth time then it's fair to say these users aren't worth anyone's time and their contribution aren't worth anything there, yet they're the main culprit in the escalation that happened the past few years and some cross thread drama that seemingly happenes (or so I heard, you will struggle to find me somewhere else than MC threads and a couple of completely unrelated threads on Era).

However I do agree that dozen of pages of meme sales stuff is getting old (and also ruffle some feathers I imagine), I already made my stance clear over the years about the fact this thread would be better off with less but more informative posts and the past couple years with Nintendo's dominance here have been more and more tiring lately making it hard to find the worthy information inside what's becoming closer to some kind of discord channel/4chan thread at times.
Not everyone needs to react to everything in every thread, this is just noise and not contribution

Though the biggest problem remains by far the first, not the second one.

* I guess it might count as antagonizing a user, but at some point you need to call a spade and spade since no action is taken whatsoever

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
If I was Chris I wouldn't return, end of an era.
No need to get all emotional because of a days ban. I'll follow these threads where ever they go but this has been a much better place for these discussions then the old place for example. There the mods actively participated and gave out bans for pretty much any opinion that was a different from theirs and people were quickly labeled as fanboys. Man I hated that place.

Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of past experiences with other threads, I doubt cvxfreak appreciates people assuming motivations or putting words in their mouth. I asked him some questions to clarify some of the rules and the answers I got were that the team was open to feedback and the rules would apply to all.

by saying that this thread is doomed to fail, it makes light of cvxfreak's comments, which I don't think they would appreciate.

if we say the mods are unlikely to change and that they've doomed these weekly threads…well you're sure as hell unlikely to convince them to come to the table to discuss bans, conduct, and rules going forward. We should at least give them a fair opportunity to prove their statements true.
Yeah CVX is open to discussion. But of course this won't stop the reactions to some of the actions by moderation here.

Last edited:

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who enjoys lurking these threads, I have to say there is absolutely an incredible amount of condescension on display from the regulars. It's shy of outright stating 'if you thought x would sell better than y you are either a troll or a stupid idiot', but that is often the message.

Just my $0.02

Dec 2, 2019
Yup

Until now, I had most of what I see as the bad players on ignore, but I could see the quote stubs for the ignored members (causing me to look at ignored content from time to time out of curiosity, always regretting it later).

After these new guidelines, and since I expect the hot takes to get worse (though I hope I am wrong), every time someone even gives a slight hint of bad faith I will put them on ignore, AND more importantly I have changed my settings to "Fully remove all traces of ignored members". So far the latter seems to really improve the thread for me, even more so than before when I just had some people on ignore.

Same.
It took me some time in my long "Forums' member career", but some day I came to the conclusion that the ignore list is the best.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who enjoys lurking these threads, I have to say there is absolutely an incredible amount of condescension on display from the regulars. It's shy of outright stating 'if you thought x would sell better than y you are either a troll or a stupid idiot', but that is often the message.

Just my $0.02
Yeah that is definitely true for some of the regular posters here. Some think they have a patent on the thread or something. I can name a select few that think their opinion is the only truth there is but I won't for the sake of being nice to people.

Anyway I am curious how Metroid will perform. Wonder if it can have legs and reach decent sales.

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
There the mods actively participated and gave out bans for pretty much any opinion that was a different from theirs
I think for a lot of people there is a suspicion that the ban Chris got was an example of exactly this though. Seeing as people who were trolling other people, and doing it way more often, didn't even get a warning.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
OK..what is going on here? Chris ist banned? Like, forever? What is going on? Just read the staff post, and i am really sad what is going on. I'm sorry for asking, but why is Chris banned? I tried to find out, but dont get it.
Will the MC Threads continue?

Oct 26, 2017
OK..what is going on here? Chris ist banned? Like, forever? What is going on? Just read the staff post, and i am really sad what is going on. I'm sorry for asking, but why is Chris banned? I tried to find out, but dont get it.
Will the MC Threads continue?
It's a 1 day ban. We don't know if he will return. He was banned for some snarky posts and trolling.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
End of an era, or end of Resetera?
No matter what happens this won't end Resetera as a whole (not the same situation but even the other site still exists, haha), but depending on how things proceed it could end the MC threads as we know them (and so the main motivation for coming to Resetera for an unknown number of posters/lurkers). If that happens, any replacement Japan sales thread in Resetera will most likely look quite similar to the Japan sales thread on the other site (not a sight to behold...),

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow...

I think the guidelines are fair, and if they actually ended up working to the detriment of the thread, we are happy to hear feedback and adjust moving forward.

While I appreciate that mods are finally taking action and spent some time elaborating those guidelines, which make sense in part... I can't help but feel they don't tackle the root of the problem, as others have expressed more eloquently. With all due respect, I think the whole matter is being approached through the wrong lenses. I definitely can't agree with the decision of banning Chris. And yes, it would have been nice if the community was consulted before constructing any guidelines.

In general this is not the direction I was expecting this to go lol. There are people who post in these threads every week who are not very subtle at all about their bad faith posting and trolling and I guess I thought that was going to be the target of the rules. Didn't expect to go in the opposite direction. You guys had a whole thread of people rallying around low NMH3 sales for console war reasons and didn't give a single shit.

it just never works when moderation sets big sweeping guidelines like this for a community without consulting the members, specially those who contribute a lot to them. like it or not, some members ARE more important (and their contributions have been the reason these threads have existed and been popular for years) and their opinion on what will improve them is important. i fully agree that these threads could be better when it comes to treating newcomers, and having more patience with them, but if you've been paying close (or not so close) attention for the past few years, there are people who aren't happy with the actual and factual data being posted here. that is not something the regulars can help with. there are console warriors who don't like the data we get and would rather no one talked and analyzed the actual data. of course the solution for them is just to ignore the threads, but they don't do that and would instead invest a lot of time subtly and not-so-subtly derail the threads and troll in them with bad faith questions and arguments. so IF the new guidelines are kinda made to appease them (which to me, it looks like they are) it's really bad for the community. i'm sure the intention of the moderation is good and they want to make everyone happy. but when there's a years long campaign against these threads, in and out of them, it doesn't feel right when the guidelines are influenced by those who don't actually like the community or feel part of it.

Wow, I mean I respect you plenty but this is clearly missing the point.

No comments about drive-by posters which drop their hot take and are not answering to any of the replies ?

And how are these guidelines protecting the thread against any bad faith argument ? Trolls could prosper under the cover of "I don't have enough knowledge" despite participating in every thread for months.

What kind of signal are you sending by banning the founder of this thread whereas casual hostility against the whole MC community goes unchecked ?

And finally, how are Harada/Nagoshi & co given an immunity status when people were free to dash on Mochizuki's reporting because it didn't suit them ?

I can't stress enough how you are setting a terrible precedent here. Giving more ammo and validation to the bad faith posters isn't going to give you less passive-aggressiveness, but more.

Really disappointed by the mods. Yes, tone can sometimes be an issue in this threads but even as a irregular lurker I've seen drive-by'a and trolling under the guise of "just asking questions" going unchecked so many times I have respect for long time posters here not loosing it more often. Compared to how this community is depicted outside of this thread without any consequences ever is sad to see.
How can you set out and create a set of rules for a community without consulting it's most active parts and the sole reason this community exists in the way it does? Especially if you think they should behave differently? How do think that goes over with a tight knit group of people that have been on the receiving end of a lot of shit for years?
I can only hope Chris comes back and mods will actually try to create guidelines together with each individual community and their peers instead going over their heads each and every time because I don't want to lose the sole reason to visit this forum anymore.

Feels like the first mod post stemmed from a lack of familiarity with this community, which provoked a unanimous negative reaction from regulars, then the moderation doubled down on their mistake with a slew of bans directed at the wrong people. This community is possibly in jeopardy due to a lack of understanding of the real problems these threads had been facing. If the moderation admits their unfamiliarity with a community and all the regulars of said community react negatively to the moderation's decisions, that should be a big sign that doubling down on that is not the answer. Bad night for the Media Create community, and I think a huge mistake on the moderation's part.

These posts are just a small selection of what I feel are great points that hopefully the mod team takes into account.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Accusations that companies or creators/developers are showing favoritism for or bias against certain companies (i.e. Nagoshi, Harada, Nihon Falcom, etc. for Sony/against Nintendo) are not allowed unless there is evidence supporting such accusations.

This is a fun one, counting the amount of games they have released on Nintendo Switch should be enough evidence, shouldn't be?

Status
Not open for further replies.