• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Although I do agree that there a tonal issue with how some of us speak to others in here. Sometimes it's "sub tweeting", others it's pointed accusations, while the rest can be pretty passive aggressive.
But I think the issue is two fold and I hope the mods don't just see it as a one sided issue.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope Chris doesn't leave Media Create threads because he provides good insight and analysis. He's basically the heart of these threads and without him, they would lose their appeal imo.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Are MC sales threads or are they threads to discuss the latest villains in the Japanese videogame industry?

It's also incredible to see people complain about moderation after bullying Oregano for having a slightly different viewpoint in this very thread.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): antagonism towards another member
Thank you for the input, user with a low post history despite being created at the site's founding that only posted in an MC thread once the entire time.

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
I just hope Chris doesn't leave Media Create threads because he provides good insight and analysis. He's basically the heart of these threads and without him, they would lose their appeal imo.
Pretty much. While I appreciate the contributions of Tbone, Vink and others, as mostly a lurker for more than 15 years I appreciate Chris' posts the most.

Guidelines on posting

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Official Staff Communication
Lately, there has been an uptick of reported posts and disciplinary action related to the weekly Media Create threads. Many posters have complained of no longer having a voice in these threads because certain posters, including thread regulars, have replied in a hostile or condescending manner. This needs to stop. Please keep the following advice in mind when participating in these threads, regardless of how long you've been part of this community. Failure to do so could result in action being taken.
  • Sales threads should always be about that — the sales data itself. They should not be used as a guise for port begging, console/platform wars or other forms of trolling that wouldn't be allowed elsewhere on the forum.
  • In general, sales threads should focus on business and economic elements, i.e. comparing past and present data, observing trends, or making educated guesses.
  • While these threads do focus on Japan, it is not against the rules to discuss worldwide sales trends in the context of Japanese sales. It is OK to compare data from Japan to other countries, but like all posts, it needs to be done in good faith.
  • Do not be snarky, passive aggressive, condescending or otherwise disrespectful towards other users that you don't agree with. Not everyone has the same knowledge of sales and business, and if you feel someone is incorrect in their interpretation of data, constructively correct them (in as much detail as possible) instead of mocking them. Make yourself useful, not disruptive.
  • Sales data should never be weaponized or used to justify racist rhetoric, such as generalizing, mocking or trivializing the interests of another country, such as Japan or China.
  • Accusations that companies or creators/developers are showing favoritism for or bias against certain companies (i.e. Nagoshi, Harada, Nihon Falcom, etc. for Sony/against Nintendo) are not allowed unless there is evidence supporting such accusations.
  • Drive-bys and other inappropriate commentary are not allowed. (i.e. no-substance single word/sentences responses like "bomba").
  • If you're posting any kind of data, please post a link or source for transparency going forward. This not only includes sales data, but also information gleaned from retail blogs or Twitter accounts.
  • If you're posting about information that originally appeared in a non-English language such as Japanese (or a language you don't necessarily understand), please be confident as to the accuracy of the translation. If you're not confident, say so and reach out to the community to get an accurate reading.
If you see a post that goes against the above guidelines, please report it for review. If you have any questions, please DM a mod such as myself. Thank you.

Last edited:

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Please read the Staff Post for guidance going forward. It will be posted in the MC threads for the next two weeks to help get posters up to speed.

Happy sales talk, everyone.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
  • Accusations that companies or creators/developers are showing favoritism for or bias against certain companies (i.e. Nagoshi, Harada, Nihon Falcom, etc. for Sony/against Nintendo) are not allowed unless there is evidence supporting such accusations.
  • Drive-bys and other inappropriate commentary are not allowed. (i.e. no-substance single word/sentences responses like "bomba").
No fun 😩

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
I really only think the 4th bully point is necessary. The other ones are ones I haven't seen happen often (if at all), but I think we can all change our tone and manner of speak with each other.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
Read the guidelines and still don't know how this thread is as moderated as it is/was.

I also still don't really understand the whole CC2 thing that was started by a mod and wasn't shared by a lot of people and didn't really disprove anything, while inviting even more hostility towards the community.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
So we can still discuss why certain platform holders of why they avoid or support platforms right? We just can't call them loyalists and all that (except Nagoshi, who has gone on record multiple times on his support for Sony and CC2).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I guess some users finally got what they wanted and been working towards the last couple weeks, of course the ToA release and another CC2 release was gonna do it. That's disappointing, you really can't make this up.

Hope moving forward that user than continue to participate in this thread do better.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Accusations that companies or creators/developers are showing favoritism for or bias against certain companies (i.e. Nagoshi, Harada, Nihon Falcom, etc. for Sony/against Nintendo) are not allowed unless there is evidence supporting such accusations.
I mean this just goes along with reading trends of certain companies/individuals. Discussion around developers and PS4/5/Switch support is pretty relevant to the market.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
I mean this just goes along with reading trends of certain companies/individuals. Discussion around developers and PS4/5/Switch support is pretty relevant to the market.
Agreed. We have the quote from the old SQEX CEO about the Japanese market being all behind the winner, some devs being scared of Nintendo monopoly, and Nagoshi's comments about the people "graduating" from handhelds and all that.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Me being bitter about these threads unironically going on and on about Harada for pages?
Like I said before, the context changes every week with new releases and Bamco's number of releases decreasing every year to the point of being below Konami. This is a weekly thread so there will obviously be some repeat conversations as we discuss trends and changes in the market. I don't think it's fair to call out discussions because they discuss similar topics each week.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
This seems like such a weird rule. People don't just randomly start doing that for shits and giggles. They're conclusions that are pretty natural to reach after the decisions some companies have made over several years. I could understand stressing that it shouldn't be aimed at individuals, but to include Falcom as an example is extremely bizarre. You need a written letter from the company expressing bias to suggest as much?

In general this is not the direction I was expecting this to go lol. There are people who post in these threads every week who are not very subtle at all about their bad faith posting and trolling and I guess I thought that was going to be the target of the rules. Didn't expect to go in the opposite direction. You guys had a whole thread of people rallying around low NMH3 sales for console war reasons and didn't give a single shit.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the evidence portion is too strict in that what counts as evidence from person to person. For some people it's a long standing pattern, for another it's direct quotation. Discussing very real patterns among corporate decisions within Japan can be treated by some as entirely circumstantial and be reported as propping up a narrative they don't want to see.
If someone dares to say this, they better have a very compelling argument.
Happened a lot over the last dang year mate where you been.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really disagree with those bullet points. But I still have issue with Chris being banned for a day, and even warned for hostility in reply to Caiops, who has been trolling these threads for months now. Reporting clearly doesn't seem to be doing anything either.

MC threads had an issue with Kerotan in the past who would always post innocuous posts which were bad faith, and why he was permabanned on VGChartz. I could never state as such though I knew out of fear of being banned for offsite drama, but their gone now, and it wasn't being bad faith in an MC thread and causing disruption and derailment. Just like Psycho Mantis was never dealt with for years until he was banned for console warring outside the thread, despite all the console warring they would do in the Mc threads.

So what is going on? Will these rules actually apply? Will the MC threads be more actively moderated? While I cite a couple of examples, there's far more of the same old same old of drive-bys and trolls that come in and are never dealt with for months until their banned elsewhere for the issues people report them for in these threads.

I don't participate much, I mostly lurk, and have lurked since at least the Wii U era and seen the pot boil over time and time again like today because reports are clearly not being listened to.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
And another reason to talk about the same topics and industry heads each week is to see if they will or try to predict their next move when numbers related to financials come out. For example, we saw Spike Chunsoft finally bring Danganronpa to the Switch when only the PMD side of the company was supporting Switch.

I heavily disagree that being "too cyclical" is a bannable offense.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Wait Chris got banned for a day for that? Hope he comes back… Could we like thread mark the useful news and links? While discussion is nice sometimes, I really couldn't care less about most of it due to the repetitive subjects.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Would acklowledging their actual output be enough evidence or do we have to source the dumb shit he says in IR meetings and Famitsu interviews every time someone like, say Kondo, comes up? We can do the latter just fine but it seems like an overreach and it'd get tiring when the platform loyalties (in direct spite of market realities) are sort of self evident and pretty well documented already?

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
I've read the rules like 5 times and the only conclusion I arrived is that troll posters will continue to thrive and more regulars will get eventually banned.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Nice that we have clear rules now, hope they're well enforced. Gotta say, some of the evidence ones seem rough and won't help some regulars like Anihawk when sharing info.

Can't really understand the point of Chris' 1 day ban though, was it just some power move?

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
I'd imagine Bamco's decreasing releases have a lot to do with trying to release more expensive (to develop) games, both in time, manpower and costs. Fortunately they haven't gone all in with trying to push next gen hardware or they'd release less games.

At least, for now, this works for them. If they believe they don't need Japan to be a very important market for most of their new releases, but they do well overseas, they'll be fine even with the increased costs of development, though obviously their relevance in Japan will decrease if they refuse to support the only console that can sell software decently, as the PS4 has no future and the PS5 doesn't seem like it'll be able to sell much.

Speaking of which, I hope that by 2022 the global supply has estabilized somewhat so that we can see the true demand in Japan.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
If you're posting any kind of data, please post a link or source for transparency going forward. This not only includes sales data, but also information gleaned from retail blogs or Twitter accounts.

This bullet point concerns sales data only, such as charts. Some users complained that charts would be posted without a link to where they came from. For example, in the OP, there is no link to the actual Famitsu page. Please post a link if you can. (Some links update weekly, which is fine. Please post it anyway.)

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Would acklowledging their actual output be enough evidence or do we have to source the dumb shit he says in IR meetings and Famitsu interviews every time someone like, say Kondo, comes up? We can do the latter just fine but it seems like an overreach and it'd get tiring when the platform loyalties (in direct spite of market realities) are sort of self evident and pretty well documented already?
Yeah I really hope this rule is stuck down or heavily amended. We have years of interviews, patterns, and comments about the Switch user base to make these claims. I mean can anyone claim Harada doesn't have some kind of bias against Switch after Bamco's output since 2019 and his interviews about budgets or western market comparisons?

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully moderation on this thread is better but honestly the best approach for folks making bad faith arguments is just to ignore them. They'll keep making it for a while and nothing will happen for a while based on previous history.

I'm not a fan of the "stop saying certain developers are showing favoritism" rule. The reason folks bring it up is because we think it's a bad business decision in Japan. Yeh it can get repetitive but I would hate to get moderated for a reasoned argument on "why they do keep having titles disappoint due to weird business decisions".

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, on the point of bias we practically had users mocking Nagoshi after the demotion so it's fine to ask to tone it down since at times it's gotten weirdly personal.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

While I don't agree with these rules entirely, framing what they say as "dumb shit" is what lead to this rule in the first place. Developers are painted as dumb dumb guy getting cozy with platforms instead of simply having a bias, preference, or comfort on preferring certain platforms based on their previous experience. It's irrational, but it's still a valid business decision (disregarding the results). It's tiring to read and lately provides no value to the discussion.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
I mean, on the point of bias we practically had users mocking Nagoshi after the demotion so it's fine to ask to tone it down since at times it's gotten weirdly personal.
A lot of those were just memes about dinners and stuff, most of the serious stuff was in regards to his decisions on Sakura Wars and dev team consolidation.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
While I don't agree with these rules entirely, framing what they say as "dumb shit" is what lead to this rule in the first place. Developers are painted as dumb dumb guy getting cozy with platforms instead of simply having a bias, preference, or comfort on preferring certain platforms based on their previous experience. It's irrational, but it's still a valid business decision (disregarding the results).
Do users in other threads get banned when they accuse Jim Ryan of saying dumb shit? I can understand personally attacking him, but making a PS5 engine while claiming you doing have the resources to support Switch day and date is questionable to say the least. I mean are Parker not allowed to swear anymore? Feels kind of weird that this thread specifically is being held to unique standards.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've read the rules like 5 times and the only conclusion I arrived is that troll posters will continue to thrive and more regulars will get eventually banned.
Yeah I'm starting to get worried about how much longer the truly valuable resources we have will stick around. Remember when Mat Piscatella and actual insiders used to actually hang around here before being driven off by trolls?

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
User warned: mod whining, derailment
Wow banning Chris is like having the bad guys winning in the movie at the end.

Old place vibes, not a good feeling.

And also:

Chris getting banned for trolling has to be irony. Am anticipating what the mods have for this thread going forward.

Sales threads outside MC threads constantly antagonize it painting it like it's a bad community. So it's really funny that Chris gets banned for trolling and the obvious bad faith posters aren't banned.

I just love that the day a mod posts here the only banned user is Chris lol. You can't write this stuff.

How could someone go through the thread and think Chris is the top priority for action?

Thank you for the input, user with a low post history despite being created at the site's founding that only posted in an MC thread once the entire time.

I guess some users finally got what they wanted and been working towards the last couple weeks, of course the ToA release and another CC2 release was gonna do it. That's disappointing, you really can't make this up.

Hope moving forward that user than continue to participate in this thread do better.

This seems like such a weird rule. People don't just randomly start doing that for shits and giggles. They're conclusions that are pretty natural to reach after the decisions some companies have made over several years. I could understand stressing that it shouldn't be aimed at individuals, but to include Falcom as an example is extremely bizarre. You need a written letter from the company expressing bias to suggest as much?

In general this is not the direction I was expecting this to go lol. There are people who post in these threads every week who are not very subtle at all about their bad faith posting and trolling and I guess I thought that was going to be the target of the rules. Didn't expect to go in the opposite direction. You guys had a whole thread of people rallying around low NMH3 sales for console war reasons and didn't give a single shit.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
How is that weirdly personal when it was just a result of his action and him putting all eggs into a single basket for no reason ? People been saying that it's risky and that there is no reason to skip or leave out a potential massive install base for your software yet he went ahead with that.

Should we now feel sorry for being proven right ? Let alone the incident with him calling out the PuyoPuyo playersbase in public. This wasn't a good look.

Seems like people want creators to be shielded from all kind of critism just because they make games we enjoy. On a business level its fair to call out some decision that have been made, this isn't personal.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
A lot of those were just memes about dinners and stuff, most of the serious stuff was in regards to his decisions on Sakura Wars and dev team consolidation.
Also this is an actual complaint I have. If you're going to accuse people of "mocking" Nagoshi or other people, then you have to show the receipts. I'm kind of tired if people painting these threads as some uninhabitable toxic wasteland by throwing around accusations like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.