• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well if there are some publishers willing to make suicide (if PS doesn't make enough money then nothing will) I guess that could happen.

Well this is just my own guess but I think once again at the start of the gen Sony will focus more on smaller games (in west indies) like they did with PS4 as they want the hardcore audience on board as soon as possible. Then after that during mid and late gen you can focus on more ''casual'' userbase.

Even if we take for granted that they won't continue to ignore Switch if PS5 proves untenable it might prove difficult. From a technology standpoint if you've been gearing up for PS5 and targeting your games there(or even PS4) then you're probably not able to re-adjust to accommodate Switch and even if you can are you going to try to jump in 6 years(or more) into the platform's life? Are you going to wait for Switch 2 in hopes that works for you?

Of course I very doubt PS5 will see enough of a decline to make it an actual issue.

Jul 21, 2020
User banned (permanent): circumventing ban with alt account
okay, maybe I misread the previous conversation.

midtier games I agree switch is definitely increasing in getting exclusives compared to before.

but then there are also random PS exclusive mid-tiers frequently.
Guess I haven't seen a seismic shift yet either way.

most of these games need multiplat more than anything anyway

No one has ever said anything about big Japanese games aimed at the world wide core gamer audience missing PlayStation.

It's just you reading what you want to read. And Pro Sony sock puppets shadowboxing a point no one raised..

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I expect a CG trailer with no date for that. Probably coming in 2022 at the earliest.
do people think ff7 part 2 or ff16 part 2 will release first.

and bonus since why not, will ff7R part 2 have the 1 year exclusivity again or was it just for part one?

I'll go with FF7 will happen first, and it will have the timed exclusivity again.

No one has ever said anything about big Japanese games aimed at the world wide core gamer audience missing PlayStation.

It's just you reading what you want to read. And Pro Sony sock puppets shadowboxing a point no one raised..
what
don't reply to me with nonsense posts lol.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

and bonus since why not, will ff7R part 2 have the 1 year exclusivity again or was it just for part one?

I'll go with FF7 will happen first, and it will have the timed exclusivity again.

It's pretty strongly implied by insiders that FFXVI is getting announced on Wednesday, is releasing sooner than people think, and will be timed exclusive to PS5.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty strongly implied by insiders that FFXVI is getting announced on Wednesday, is releasing sooner than people think, and will be timed exclusive to PS5.
I guess it depends what soon means.
I feel FF7R 2 is 2022. Maybe even H1 2022.
if FF16 was in 2021 that'd be a surprise to me. But I don't know follow the square teams like that.

Jul 21, 2020

what
don't reply to me with nonsense posts lol.

Then don't reply to things you didn't read properly. Your "misread" is high suspect because not a single soul made that point. Given the general behavior of people in this thread, it makes your intent suspect.

Jan 2, 2018
Untitled2.png

I don't know if someone said it already, but you know that it's not mutually exclusive to perform well in Japan and in the West, like, for example, Nintendo? Sony could make even more money if they put effort into their actual home market.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the releasing sooner is a roadmap set before or after covid.

True, it might have been delayed.
I guess it depends what soon means.
I feel FF7R 2 is 2022. Maybe even H1 2022.
if FF16 was in 2021 that'd be a surprise to me. But I don't know follow the square teams like that.

I think the implication is 2021. I think it was mentioned that it was originally cross gen.
Then don't reply to things you didn't read properly. Your "misread" is high suspect because not a single soul made that point. Given the general behavior of people in this thread, it makes your intent suspect.

Dude, stop. Mory Dunz definitely isn't some Sony console warrior.

Jan 2, 2018
Is a Final Fantasy without development problems really a Final Fantasy?

It doesn't matter what the initial release window is, Square Enix will delay it anyway.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
With COVID I do see Final Fantasy 16 being pushed back further.

Could it be the reason why it wasn't shown at the Sony digital press conference?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if someone said it already, but you know that it's not mutually exclusive to perform well in Japan and in the West, like, for example, Nintendo? Sony could make even more money if they put effort into their actual home market.
Yeah, their business is making record numbers, but people seem to downplay Japan. It's still the 2nd biggest gaming country behind the US unless someone overtook it.
And it has the most games specifically tailored and released in a particular region, and depend on the region to exist. If there was ever a notable downturn in other regions you'd still want to have your base in Japan be solid, like the 3ds I suppose

Is a Final Fantasy without development problems really a Final Fantasy?

It doesn't matter what the initial release window is, Square Enix will delay it anyway.
that's why I doubt FF16 will be 2021, even if it's announced for 2021 lol.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Week 37, 2020 (Sep 7 - Sep 13)

{2020.09.08}
[NSW] Minecraft Dungeons: Hero Edition <RPG> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2020.09.08} (¥3.600)

[PS4] Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <RPG> (THQ Nordic) {2020.09.08} (¥4.800)
[PS4] Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Fate Edition) <RPG> (THQ Nordic) {2020.09.08} (¥6.500)

[XB1] Minecraft Dungeons: Hero Edition <RPG> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2020.09.08} (¥3.600)
_________

{2020.09.09}
[XB1] Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning _Download Version_ |DL| # <RPG> (THQ Nordic) {2020.09.09} (¥4.727)
[XB1] Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning _Download Version_ |DL| (Fate Edition) <RPG> (THQ Nordic) {2020.09.09} (¥6.500)
[XB1] CarX Drift Racing Online _Download Version_ |DL| <RCE> (CarX Technologies) {2020.09.09} (¥3.181)

{2020.09.10}
[NSW] Metal Max Xeno Reborn # <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2020.09.10} (¥6.480)
[NSW] Metal Max Xeno Reborn (Limited Edition) <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2020.09.10} (¥9.980)
[NSW] Metal Max Xeno Reborn (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2020.09.10} (¥5.891)
[NSW] Tomoyo After: It's a Wonderful Life - CS Edition <ADV> (Prototype) {2020.09.10} (¥4.100)
[NSW] Tomoyo After: It's a Wonderful Life - CS Edition (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Prototype) {2020.09.10} (¥3.455)
[NSW] Himehibi Ichi Gakki: Princess Days _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Takuyo) {2020.09.10} (¥5.280)
[NSW] Bake 'n Switch _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (Streamline Media Group) {2020.09.10} (¥3.908)
[NSW] Minoria _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Dangen Entertainment) {2020.09.10} (¥2.000)
[NSW] Fight'N Rage _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (EastAsiaSoft) {2020.09.10} (¥1.800)
[NSW] MO:Astray _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Rayark) {2020.09.10} (¥1.436)
[NSW] Urban Trial Tricky _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Flyhigh Works) {2020.09.10} (¥1.364)
[NSW] Deleveled _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (The Quantum Astrophysicists Guild) {2020.09.10} (¥982)
[NSW] Runestone Keeper _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <RPG> (Circle Entertainment) {2020.09.10} (¥909)
[NSW] Arcade Archives: Gemini Wing _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <STG> (Hamster) {2020.09.10} (¥762)
[NSW] Takotan _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <STG> (EastAsiaSoft) {2020.09.10} (¥636)
[NSW] Button Button Up! _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Circle Entertainment) {2020.09.10} (¥455)
[NSW] G-Mode Archives 15: Churashima Kurashi _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (G-Mode) {2020.09.10} (¥455)
[NSW] Witcheye _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Devolver Digital) {2020.09.10} (¥500)

[PS4] Metal Max Xeno Reborn # <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2020.09.10} (¥6.480)
[PS4] Metal Max Xeno Reborn (Limited Edition) <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2020.09.10} (¥9.980)
[PS4] Metal Max Xeno Reborn (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2020.09.10} (¥5.891)
[PS4] Metal Max Xeno Reborn (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Digital Limited Edition) <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2020.09.10} (¥8.164)
[PS4] Project Cars 3 <RCE> (Bandai Namco Games) {2020.09.10} (¥7.600)
[PS4] Project Cars 3 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <RCE> (Bandai Namco Games) {2020.09.10} (¥7.600)
[PS4] Project Cars 3 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Deluxe Edition) <RCE> (Bandai Namco Games) {2020.09.10} (¥11.600)
[PS4] SnowRunner <RCE> (Oizumi Amuzio) {2020.09.10} (¥6.800)
[PS4] SnowRunner (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RCE> (Oizumi Amuzio) {2020.09.10} (¥6.181)
[PS4] Tamarin _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <ACT> (Chameleon Games) {2020.09.10} (¥3.600)
[PS4] Tamarin _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Deluxe Edition) <ACT> (Chameleon Games) {2020.09.10} (¥5.400)
[PS4] VR Ping Pong Pro |PlayStation VR| _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Merge Games) {2020.09.10} (¥2.300)
[PS4] Minoria _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Dangen Entertainment) {2020.09.10} (¥2.000)
[PS4] Fight'N Rage _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (EastAsiaSoft) {2020.09.10} (¥1.800)
[PS4] Demon's Tilt _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <TBL> (Flarb) {2020.09.10} (¥1.800)
[PS4] Arcade Archives: Gemini Wing _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <STG> (Hamster) {2020.09.10} (¥762)
[PS4] Takotan _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <STG> (EastAsiaSoft) {2020.09.10} (¥636)

[XB1] Minoria _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Dangen Entertainment) {2020.09.10} (¥2.136)

{2020.09.11}
[PS4] Reel Fishing: Road Trip Adventure _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SPT> (Natsume Atari) {2020.09.11} (¥2.700)

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What do you think it would take for PS5 to sell more than PS4 in Japan? Is it even possible?

To me it feels like PS4 had just about everything go in its favour in terms of software support, and it still couldn't surpass the PS3 which was widely seen as a disappointment. PS4 did not even have a strong playstation handheld in the marketplace alongside it, unlike the PS3. Just not sure what the PS5 could realistically do better to reach a bigger audience.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Man, had forgotten Metal Max Xeno Reborn released this week. Wonder if the delay made the game any better, as it looked pretty bad when they first unveiled it. Amazon reviews suggest there's bad tank controls and lots of bugs. :(

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think it would take for PS5 to sell more than PS4 in Japan? Is it even possible?

To me it feels like PS4 had just about everything go in its favour in terms of software support, and it still couldn't surpass the PS3 which was widely seen as a disappointment. PS4 did not even have a strong playstation handheld in the marketplace alongside it, unlike the PS3. Just not sure what the PS5 could realistically do better to reach a bigger audience.
If they can make a cheap PS5 while somehow keeping all the features it would be a relatively easy sell

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, had forgotten Metal Max Xeno Reborn released this week. Wonder if the delay made the game any better, as it looked pretty bad when they first unveiled it. Amazon reviews suggest there's bad tank controls and lots of bugs. :(

They took a decent looking Vita game and turned it into a hideous PS4 game - despite the fact it's already on PS4!

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If they are looking to do better and more than 10 mil

Need big games out in the first 3 years and market it towards family with family specific games with price cut

Ps4 first 3 years were bad till ff15 came

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Invest in first party games that actually appeal to Japan. Good pricing. Steady stream of software work on appealing to more than just 14-40 year old males with their software. So realistically nothing.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10 million is not happening for ps5 in japan. ps4 had basically all the big IPs as defacto exclusives, and still didn't get there. seems like the only way to go is down (not by a lot tho).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they are looking to do better and more than 10 mil

Need big games out in the first 3 years and market it towards family with family specific games with price cut

Ps4 first 3 years were bad till ff15 came

Yup, not sure if it will be enough but having the big software earlier will be paramount. If FFXVI is 2021, KH4/whatever in 2022(as implied by Nomura) and then DQXII and/or MHW2 in 2023 they'll have much more momentum earlier on.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
A MH Switch can easily outsell World in Japan.

And speaking about Square, they already got a taste of that Switch money. I'm sure we will see more games on Switch, specially if Nintendo is footing the bill for the West. It will be curious how Square will go when the Switch 2 comes. I'm sure they will jump on it way faster.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
And going by Capcom's report they sell more units on Switch than Xbox, and that's without the new games. I'm sure a Capcom's game day and date on the Switch will sell better on it than on Xbox.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
What someone does in the future doesn't erase what he has done in the past. Capcom Switch support 4 years in has been a joke.
To be fair, Capcom's support wasn't that great for current gen consoles either. If it wasn't for SFV and Dead Rising 3 getting payed off by Sony/MS, they wouldn't have had anything big until RE7.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really excited to see how good MH Switch looks. Capcom games are always visual showcases and this will be the first game they put any decent effort on the system

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
10 million is not happening for ps5 in japan. ps4 had basically all the big IPs as defacto exclusives, and still didn't get there. seems like the only way to go is down (not by a lot tho).

This line keeps getting repeated but the PS4 is still tracking ahead of the PS3. The only reason it is not going to hit 10 million is because Sony has pulled the plug on shipments and promotions. It still responded to big game releases and temporary price drops as recently as the beginning of this year.

That said I agree it's likely PS5 will see a decline from PS4.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
This line keeps getting repeated but the PS4 is still tracking ahead of the PS3. The only reason it is not going to hit 10 million is because Sony has pulled the plug on shipments and promotions. It still responded to big game releases and temporary price drops as recently as the beginning of this year.

That said I agree it's likely PS5 will see a decline from PS4.

I don't think PS4 would have outsold PS3 in the end even with enough shipments. gen 7th just had better legs.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, not sure if it will be enough but having the big software earlier will be paramount. If FFXVI is 2021, KH4/whatever in 2022(as implied by Nomura) and then DQXII and/or MHW2 in 2023 they'll have much more momentum earlier on.

Insiders like Imran have said Sony has one year exclusives with pubs who are more associated with Xbox/Nintendo

One of them I can think of Bandai Namco, Now that I think of this when was the last time a bandai namco game was co marketed by Sony ?

I don't think PS4 would have outsold PS3 in the end even with enough shipments. gen 7th just had better legs.

I think they would had with enough shipments and deals which they did in April, though its irrelevent now.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Insiders like Imran have said Sony has one year exclusives with pubs who are more associated with Xbox/Nintendo

One of them I can think of Bandai Namco, Now that I think of this when was the last time a bandai namco game was co marketed by Sony ?

I think they would had with enough shipments and deals which they did in April, though its irrelevent now.

I think he was referring to more western based publishers like Bethesda with that. Bandai Namco being co-marketed by Microsoft is a recent thing(2018+) and they never really stopped pushing PlayStation games(even exclusives).

I don't think there's any Japanese publisher who is more associated with Microsoft or Nintendo than Sony tbh. Maybe Level 5 with Nintendo but Ni No Kuni 3 being PS5 exclusive wouldn't really be a shocker there.

Last edited:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

They would need to expand their audience beyond "Men between 16 and 35 hardcore gamers."

Which Sony doesn't seem interested in doing.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Every third party associated with Nintendo already has a strong relationship with Sony as well.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marvelous
Koei Tecmo
And of course L5

Every third party associated with Nintendo already has a strong relationship with Sony as well.

Yeah, and I'm not sure you can say Koei Tecmo is more associated with Nintendo when Ni-Oh is their biggest IP at the moment and IPs like Atelier and Musou are still more associated with PlayStation.

Marvelous maybe based on Story of Seasons but they're no stranger to PlayStation exclusives either.

Jan 2, 2018
Yeah, and I'm not sure you can say Koei Tecmo is more associated with Nintendo when Ni-Oh is their biggest IP at the moment and IPs like Atelier and Musou are still more associated with PlayStation.

Koei Tecmo developed three exclusive games, two of them with Nintendo IP, for the Switch vs Koei Tecmo released Nioh with 1-year exclusivity on Playstation.

I think it's pretty clear which relationship is closer.

Edit: *four exclusive games, three of them with Nintendo IP

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Koei Tecmo developed three exclusives games, two of them with Nintendo IP, for the Switch vs Koei Tecmo released Nioh with 1-year exclusivity on Playstation.

More than that just looking over the past decade:
Hyrule Warriors
Fatal Frame
Other M
Fire Emblem Warriors
Fire Emblem Three Houses alongside IS
Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Koei Tecmo developed three exclusive games, two of them with Nintendo IP, for the Switch vs Koei Tecmo released Nioh with 1-year exclusivity on Playstation.

Edit: *four exclusive games, three of them with Nintendo IP

Sure, but saying there relationship is closer with the platform holder is different than saying people associate Koei Tecmo with that platform holder more, especially when Nintendo & KT's relationship is almost entirely based on KT developing Nintendo games.

Especially in the context of "Sony is moneyhatting publishers that are more associated with their competitors", the only Koei Tecmo IP that isn't primarily associated with PlayStation at this point is Fatal Frame.

Jan 2, 2018
Sure, but saying there relationship is closer with the platform holder is different than saying people associate Koei Tecmo with that platform holder more, especially when Nintendo & KT's relationship is almost entirely based on KT developing Nintendo games.

Oh, I would agree with you then. I think most people think just of Nintendo when seeing this games, rather than Koei Tecmo.
But isn't it more important that there are certain companies now that are so close to Nintendo, when previously they weren't? I think Koei Tecmo and Marvelous started it fairly recently.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited: