• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Japan not buying non Switch good games (like RE8, TOA, Lost Judgement, etc) is definitely becoming a Japan problem . There are 4 (5 who knows) additional consoles/platforms to purchase the game for those who want to play, there is nothing limiting it being successful there other than...reasons...who knows.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
there it be

gL88KkE.jpg
Where's that goal moving gif?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the point in getting worked up about it at this point.

It is what it is. Tales of Arise is on the platforms it's on, is reviewing well, will likely decline in Japan but make up for it outside of Japan.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, that's impossible
On the one hand, I'm shitposting. On the other hand, while ArcSys never officially stated it, there's very strong evidence that Guilty Gear Strive sold more units on Steam than the combined total of the PlayStation versions worldwide. It would be kinda ironic if for the second time this year, a major multiplatform Japanese developed game that passed over the Switch gets bailed out by the PC audience.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't get the point in getting worked up about it at this point.

It is what it is. Tales of Arise is on the platforms it's on, is reviewing well, will likely decline in Japan but make up for it outside of Japan.
I think it's basically what we all expected, growth in the West and decline in Japan. The only question is to what extent.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (5 days): Platform wars
Harada's insulated so long as he has global hits. If a few IP like Idolm@ster or Gundam Vs have to die along the way in service of protecting PlayStation it's no big deal so long as fare Tekken, Souls and Ace Combat still pull in multimillions.

This is the key difference between him and Nagoshi, and why he ultimately won't meet the same fate.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Harada's insulated so long as he has global hits. If a few IP like Idolm@ster or Gundam Vs have to die along the way in service of protecting PlayStation it's no big deal so long as fare Tekken, Souls and Ace Combat still pull in multimillions.

This is the key difference between him and Nagoshi, and why he ultimately won't meet the same fate.
Gundam is getting a worldwie release for the first time...ever, its not going to die along the way.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
That were late ports, i dont think Doom looks that impressive.

The Witcher 3 was outsourced, its an open world game but a different kind of beast, and it took them a long time to turn into a decent port.

Im all in to release every game in many plataforms as possible, but i dont think some games like FFVIIR, FFXVI, recent Assassins Creed, are possible
I don't think Tales of Arise is really on the same level as those games. That's as big of a false equivalency as it gets. That said, I do think there will be a late port to the Switch for this. Might have been too much work for them to make a Switch version at launch but I think there will eventually be one

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Tales of Arise sells more on PC than Playstation in the west.

Not saying it's a confirmed possibility tho.

Sep 9, 2020
I don't think anyone here thinks the game won't sell well overall, it's just a shame since it could sell even more with an extra platform both in Japan and worldwide.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
everyone's talking about PS and PC, but what about poor ol xbox. at least it got the game

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Claiming that a Japanese game can hit full potential at Japan or west by ignoring one of its biggest platforms but being available at 4-5 others is funny to put it kindly.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Claiming that a Japanese game can hit full potential at Japan or west by ignoring one of its biggest platforms but being available at 4-5 others is funny to put it kindly.
Luckily for you its a scenario we don't have to worry about since it doesn't exist. Those who want to wait for it to be on the "biggest platform" can wait or pick it up for the other 4-5...its that simple.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Gundam is getting a worldwie release for the first time...ever, its not going to die along the way.
Gundam Vs have been getting global releases for 2 decades? And after the last one tanked hard on PS4 don't be so sure, it'll probably have to go multi or stay arcade only (while that market lasts anyway).

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Claiming a game can or cannot hit its full potential by being or not being on X platform doesn't make sense to begin with. What does "full potential" even mean?

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Gundam Vs have been getting global releases for 2 decades? And after the last one tanked hard on PS4 don't be so sure, it'll probably have to go multi or stay arcade only (while that market lasts anyway).
So what are we saying here? Gundam versus died quickly....but BN is releasing another one. Does the NMH3 theory not apply here? It doesn't seem like a game that is taking all the resources of BN to be successful and the game having a WW day and date means they seem more confident in the upcoming game.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
Can someone remind me what happened to the sales of the last ~90 JRPG which aimed to breakthrough the west ? (DQ11)
Good reception doesn't mean (sadly) that the game is gonna sell tons
We can only wait and see (and speculate) for now

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Claiming a game can or cannot hit its full potential by being or not being on X platform doesn't make sense to begin with. What does "full potential" even mean?
I mean, you know what it means lol.

This is the first console Tales game since 2008 that wasn't forced to release on a seventh gen system. I can completely understand the team just not wanting the Switch to put them in a similar feeling situation where what they can do is dictated by those specs.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
MHW did hit full potential without being on Nintendo Switch and MHR did hit full potential without being on PS/Xbox and the PC release will push it even further.

So, who's right?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Can someone remind me what happened to the sales of the last ~90 JRPG which aimed to breakthrough the west ? (DQ11)
We can only wait and see (and speculate) for now

Tales of Arise not launching between Spider-Man and Rise of The Tomb Raider is going to help and on top of this, and i'm not joking, Bandai Namco is doing way more marketing on socials for ToA compared to what Square Enix did with DQXI.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
It's the simplest thing and makes perfect sense when you see software sales of PlayStation in Japan and how it wouldn't affect games that skip Switch since everyone who wanted them would buy them at the available systems anyway.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So what are we saying here? Gundam versus died quickly....but BN is releasing another one. Does the NMH3 theory not apply here? It doesn't seem like a game that is taking all the resources of BN to be successful and the game having a WW day and date means they seem more confident in the upcoming game.
What "another one"? There's nothing planned after last year's Extreme VS Maxi-Boost On, which itself was something of a hailmary after the console original Versus also bombed 3 years prior.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Arise not launching between Spider-Man and Rise of The Tomb Raider is going to help and on top of this, and i'm not joking, Bandai Namco is doing way more marketing on socials for ToA compared to what Square Enix did with DQXI.

Really?

I haven't seen much of Arise tbh whereas I always got SE ads for DQ, including one for Builders 2 which only mentioned PS4 lol

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone remind me what happened to the sales of the last 90+ JRPG which aimed to breakthrough the west ? (DQ11)

bandai namco's approach here is that the presentation would appeal more towards westerners. dq11 is very, very traditionally dragon quest in its presentation even though it's in 3d. dragon quest 12 will probably be a better comparison if the logo is an indication of a grittier approach.

nier automata, persona 5, and genshin impact all did very well on playstation out in the west. the problem for tales is that so many games came out in that series that the value of the ip dropped off pretty hard. nier was an unknown, essentially, but propped up by sony in 2016 at their own events. persona 5 was the consequence of building the persona brand over the course of a decade+ from p3 through p4 golden and other spinoffs. genshin impact was a sleeper hit due t its open world and free to play accessibility.

maybe my bias is clouding my judgment, but i hear the name 'tales of arise' and i'm not sure how i should get excited when tales of berseria, tales of xillia, tales of xilla 2, tales of graces, and tales of zestiria never broke through to a bigger audience after a solid ten years of trying.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's the simplest thing and makes perfect sense when you see software sales of PlayStation in Japan and how it wouldn't affect games that skip Switch since everyone who wanted them would buy them at the available systems anyway.

I'm getting a little wrapped up in semantics here, but again, "full potential" doesn't really mean anything to me. The only thing we can conclude is that it would probably sell better in Japan if it were on a system people were actually buying physical software on (read: Switch). How much better is another story though. That's my issue with the whole "full potential" fallacy if we can even call it that lol

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting a little wrapped up in semantics here, but again, "full potential" doesn't really mean anything to me. The only thing we can conclude is that it would probably sell better in Japan if it were on a system people were actually buying physical software on (read: Switch). How much better is another story though. That's my issue with the whole "full potential" fallacy if we can even call it that lol
After all if it doesn't sell on PlayStation it doesn't sell anywhere.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My perception is that I've seen way more effort from BN on ToA marketing than I've seen from S-E on DQ.( or really any RPG thats not FF/KH)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I was mixing Super Robot Wars 30 with Gundam as the upcoming releasing game. So the context makes sense.
It doesn't make sense, I'm talking about Gundam Vs, not Gundam as a general IP or SRT which is something else entirely (and also on Switch/PC because the producers have brains). Gundam Vs is notable because it's the only Gundam series developed inhouse by Namco and directly under Harada's control.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was mixing Super Robot Wars 30 with Gundam as the upcoming releasing game. So the context makes sense.
Now there's a game that's absolutely going to sell better on Steam than on PlayStation.

The PlayStation versions will only be available in Asia, the Steam version will be available worldwide.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Yea great scores doesn't necessarily mean strong sales for a Jrpg. It for sure helps and get's word out tho.

I'll say this Namco have been marketing really well so far and it's been way better than Scarlet Nexus.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
To be fair I always found that a lame excuse, since launching near HZD never stopped Nier Automata being a hit.
Bandai Namco did the same huge marketting with Scarlet Nexus, which it seems sold ok for them, but was no way near a breakout hit
The point is more if they are going to reach receptive public with this marketing, and it remains to be seen (and we can't really see it before having results)

And I don't know anywhere else, but I remember seing TV/Internet Ads for DQ11, imo the "Square didn't market DQ11" always seemed strange to me, since from what I saw, they tried, they failed but they tried (failure imo linked to Square alone not having the marketing reach of Nintendo for cartoony games, and not being really strong to reach anime fans)

bandai namco's approach here is that the presentation would appeal more towards westerners. dq11 is very, very traditionally dragon quest in its presentation even though it's in 3d. dragon quest 12 will probably be a better comparison if the logo is an indication of a grittier approach.

nier automata, persona 5, and genshin impact all did very well on playstation out in the west. the problem for tales is that so many games came out in that series that the value of the ip dropped off pretty hard. nier was an unknown, essentially, but propped up by sony in 2016 at their own events. persona 5 was the consequence of building the persona brand over the course of a decade+ from p3 through p4 golden and other spinoffs. genshin impact was a sleeper hit due t its open world and free to play accessibility.

maybe my bias is clouding my judgment, but i hear the name 'tales of arise' and i'm not sure how i should get excited when tales of berseria, tales of xillia, tales of xilla 2, tales of graces, and tales of zestiria never broke through to a bigger audience after a solid ten years of trying.

That's where I am too, and I wonder if Bandai Namco marketting alone is strong enough and targeted to reach a big enough target

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the reviews being so high will probably give Arise an important edge.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If its impossible for any JRPG to sell well if its not on Switch, people forgot to tell that to Square(FF) and Atlus(Persona)

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
If its impossible for any JRPG to sell well if its not on Switch, people forgot to tell that to Square(FF) and Atlus(Persona)
It's not impossible, people didn't say that

But Switch is the only console where JRPgs can sell 10 million+. In fact, Switch has JRPG series passing that milestone. PS has zero.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I feel like people get really heated over a bunch of things that shouldn't be very controversial when it comes to Tales of Arise. The game will probably sell pretty well worldwide. Has a decent chance of becoming the best-selling game in the series. It looks good and it's reviewing well. They also gave up potential sales by not developing a Switch version, both worldwide and in Japan. I think we have reason to believe the Switch version of Tales of Vesperia sold best outside of Japan (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the impression I've gotten over the years from this thread), and in Japan software sales on Playstation has cratered over the past few years. I guess I just don't see why this game in particular is so controversial.

I think the big thing here is people need to realize a game selling well doesn't mean its sales approach was above criticism. I think there's a world where both Tales of Arise will sell well and will be a success for Bandai Namco while it's also true that the game left out its potential biggest market (arguable, but it would likely have been pretty close I think) and probably will have sold more if Bandai Namco had any desire to develop games internally for Switch.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's not impossible, people didn't say that

But Switch is the only console where JRPgs can sell 10 million+. In fact, Switch has JRPG series passing that milestone. PS has zero.

The only JRPG doing that is Pokemon though lol so it's kind of a moot point. Hell, even half of that is a stretch for pretty much any JRPG on the system.

Edit: I forgot about Ring Fit. I'm still not sure what the success of those two games/franchises has to do with how well niche games like Tales etc. can do on the system.