• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
2020-08-27-21-11-19.jpg

What is the future of this graph once NSW passes 3DS and never looks back?

orzkare

Apr 9, 2020
Japan
Still no stock? Nintendo got their stock sorted out apparently, at least to a much better degree. I guess Sony was just not prepared for covid19 on the PS4 supply side. Granted, they're working on ramping up PS5 production, but this is really bad. 883. Yeesh!

Just a matter of time before PS4 falls behind PS3 sales.
there are no stocks in Amazon too.
(people can buy normal PS4 500GB over $400 in market place.)

Amazon.co.jp 売れ筋ランキング: PS4 の中で最も人気のある商品です

Amazon.co.jp 売れ筋ランキング: PS4 の中で最も人気のある商品です

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Switch would obliterate 2019's sales if Nintendo had something other Pikmin 3 Deluxe for the rest of the year.😒

Well they are probably going to blow past 2019 regardless. And they probably do have other things.

And even if they don't, I'm sure they did but we were set back because of Covid. You do know that is a thing right? The safety of their staff is more important than getting your toy out for the holidays.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Somebody can correct me on this, but the ps4 has selling beteween 3k and 5k a week in Japan, just last month sold 150k on USA and im sure it sold more then that in EU.

It is easy to understand why Japan is not a priority.
Exactly, I don't see anything wrong with Sony doing a quick transition to the PS5, people are trying to paint a 7 year old console having little stock a bad thing when its being replaced literally in about two months. Do people say the same with older Iphones and Samsung Galaxies when the new ones are released?

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Q3 3DS vs NSW

W27: 27.5k / 52.2k [Gap 1698k]
W28: 57.0k / 96.9k [1658k]
W29: 41.5k / 113.2k [1587k]
W30: 42.5k / 125.2k [1505k]
W31: 41.2k / 86.6k [1460k]
W32: 41.9k / 173.3k [1329k]
W33: 50.2k / 148.7k [1230k]
W34: 33.2k / 70.1k [1193k]
W35: 34.7k /
W36: 27.9k /
W37: 44.9k /
W38: 47.4k /
W39: 32.8k /

Tot: 537k / 866k.2k

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still no stock? Nintendo got their stock sorted out apparently, at least to a much better degree. I guess Sony was just not prepared for covid19 on the PS4 supply side. Granted, they're working on ramping up PS5 production, but this is really bad. 883. Yeesh!

Just a matter of time before PS4 falls behind PS3 sales.

PS5 is releasing in 2-3 months, Nintendo has to fix their stock, because its their peak year

But still, 883 units. That's all they can give Japan? It's a big fuck you to the Japanese market.

The US is the biggest market for the PS4 and it is readily available here. I checked eight different websites. In stock on every one. And yet Sony cannot supply more than 883 units to Japan? It's fucked.

How is that a big fuck you to Japan :lol

They will priortize regions where they can get more sales.

Obviously they would loved to have more stock for GOT release

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well they are probably going to blow past 2019 regardless. And they probably do have other things.

And even if they don't, I'm sure they did but we were set back because of Covid. You do know that is a thing right? The safety of their staff is more important than getting your toy out for the holidays.

lol, it was mostly in jest.

Exactly, I don't see anything wrong with Sony doing a quick transition to the PS5, people are trying to paint a 7 year old console having little stock a bad thing when its being replaced literally in about two months. Do people say the same with older Iphones and Samsung Galaxies when the new ones are released?

That's predicated on the idea that PS5 adoption will be fast in Japan and that <1000 isn't an astronomically low amount to ship for a week.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Well there is still the DS and the Gameboy but those play in their own league.
And I think weekly data for the Gameboy is incomplete
Nintendo had shipped 8.97M Game Boy consoles in Japan in the first 16 quarters since launch.
Nintendo has shipped 14.59M Switch consoles in Japan in the first 14 quarters since launch.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
lol, it was mostly in jest.

That's predicated on the idea that PS5 adoption will be fast in Japan and that <1000 isn't an astronomically low amount to ship for a week.
Since the highs of the year during the spring, there has been a constant downshift in the number of available PS4s in Japan, multiple users here have written that stock levels are anemic, from Amazon to visiting local shops. During releases of their biggest titles, stock was horrible, <1000 units shipped given Sony's statement about shifting to PS5 production and reflected numbers was not out the realm of possibility.

Worldwide demand for the PS5 will be strong, so Sony can shift production priorities to US/EU/Rest of the World if Japan isn't hot. Its a global audience they are selling to.

Apr 21, 2018
I can't tell if this is sarcasm. This reads like a parody of some Pokemon Sword and Shield comments.

Paper Mario is lower sales tier than just about any other Mario title. I guess I'd imagine that a Mario-led RPG adventure with amazing graphics and music could be a big franchise. TOK is so well written and crafted. I just feel like its sales potential was cut off by past entries and a divisive battle system. Feels very odd to me that Clubhouse games is outselling it.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
User banned (3 days): platform wars, prior bans for platform wars.
PS4 about to fall behind PS3 in Japan and selling worse than the even older 3DS this week. But we still see useless damage control arguments. The ongoing PS4 situation in Japan is embarassing especially for a giant corporation.

JavelinR

Mar 1, 2018
What is the future of this graph once NSW passes 3DS and never looks back?
NDS will be added when Switch reaches 16 million.

Are there weekly numbers for any systems between 3DS and DS? DS just seems too far off on it's own to expect them to get within a million of crossing (though I could be proven wrong).

Maybe some dotted lines representing the total sales of a few older systems can be added as filler until the Switch (hopefully) gets within DS spitting distance? For example the graph could count down to when the Switch passes the total sales of the SNES, than NES, etc.

Sep 24, 2019
Are there weekly numbers for any systems between 3DS and DS? DS just seems too far off on it's own to expect them to get within a million of crossing (though I could be proven wrong).

Maybe some dotted lines representing the total sales of a few older systems can be added as filler until the Switch (hopefully) gets within DS spitting distance? For example the graph could count down to when the Switch passes the total sales of the SNES, than NES, etc.
You do realize that the 3DS is the 3rd best-selling system in Japan?
Everyone else just won't be relevant at all.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
But the Gameboy lived forever thanks to Pokemon and GB Color. Didnt it finish around 32M?
It did but since the graph is launch aligned it would take a lot until GB would be competitive.
As March 1997 GB was at 15.02M in Japan (8 years since the console launched in Japan that happened in April 1989).

Sep 24, 2019
It did but since the graph is launch aligned it would take a lot until GB would be competitive.
As March 1997 GB was at 15.02M in Japan (8 years since the console launched in Japan that happened in April 1989).
I have not really thought about that. Yeah would make a comparison graph pretty useless.
That is a pretty unique salescurve GB has.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020

Do you have numbers maybe quarterly for GB/GBC after that 15mil mark?

JavelinR

Mar 1, 2018
You do realize that the 3DS is the 3rd best-selling system in Japan?
Everyone else just won't be relevant at all.

Well yeah, but even when the Switch is outpacing the 3DS' launched aligned numbers it'll still be a while before it hits 24.5 million. There's gotta be a few systems whose lifetime total is between 16 million and 24 million. I was suggesting those could represented as a straight dotted line waiting to be crossed by the Switch.

P.S. Actually it just occurred to me you may havw been responding the first part of my post, not the second. In which case thats both really cool and slightly a bummer that there is nothing else to compare the Switch with except the DS. (Im guessing the second best selling system is the Gameboy which we don't have weeklies for, correct?)

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 about to fall behind PS3 in Japan and selling worse than the even older 3DS this week. But we still see useless damage control arguments. The ongoing PS4 situation in Japan is embarassing especially for a giant corporation.

How is this damage control ? By this logic This is same Console which outsold Switch for 2 weeks in April due to Switch Stock issues,

Was that also Damage Control ?

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine since Sony wants to double ps5 production then a region would have to take a hit to use the additional manufacturer power towards ps5s.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Damn, I get why the PS4 is supposed to be low but man you'd think they'd be able to send another 1k consoles to a market that is enjoying GoT. If this quarter's shipments worldwide are also noticeably lower than last, it would seem Sony is just straight killing the PS4 for the PS5.

Sep 24, 2019
Well yeah, but even when the Switch is outpacing the 3DS' launched aligned numbers it'll still be a while before it hits 24.5 million. There's gotta be a few systems whose lifetime total is between 16 million and 24 million. I was suggesting those could represented as a straight dotted line waiting to be crossed by the Switch.

P.S. Actually it just occurred to me you may havw been responding the first part of my post, not the second. In which case thats both really cool and slightly a bummer that there is nothing else to compare the Switch with except the DS. (Im guessing the second best selling system is the Gameboy which we don't have weeklies for, correct?)
I mean you are not wrong we have stuff in that Range:

GBA - 16.96M
SNES - 17.17M
PS - 18.86M
NES - 19.35M
PSP - 19.69M
PS2 - 21.98M

But we already have PS2, PSP and GBA in that graph and Switch is soaring well past them.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
at least for now, it's obvious that sony doesn't really care about japan. japan will end up contributing less than 10 million to ps4's 130+ million sales, so it's understandable why they are not prioritizing japan right now. who knows, maybe things will change but it's basically guaranteed that ps5 will sell less than ps4 (which will sell than ps3 which sold less than ps2) too. with them getting out of the handheld market, their resources are probably better spent expanding in other regions.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
why people is so upset about PS4 numbers?
yes, this week's numbers are pathetic, but there are reasons and it doesn't change that much to sell 2.000 units or 800 units a week, nowadays, for it

ofcourse, I can understand that below-1000 is a "milestone" and that it being unable to match PS3 sales IS something relevant for a sales-thread

Sep 24, 2019
at least for now, it's obvious that sony doesn't really care about japan. japan will end up contributing less than 10 million to ps4's 130+ million sales, so it's understandable why they are not prioritizing japan right now. who knows, maybe things will change but it's basically guaranteed that ps5 will sell less than ps4 (which will sell than ps3 which sold less than ps2) too. with them getting out of the handheld market, their resources are probably better spent expanding in other regions.
Going by how hard Sony is slowing PS4 production I have no trust in it reaching 130+

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
AC NH has almost achieved same LTD physical sales as New Leaf (knowing NL got a price cut and the welcome Amiibo re-release also).
If you factor in digital sales...yeah it is insane lol

JavelinR

Mar 1, 2018
I mean you are not wrong we have stuff in that Range:

GBA - 16.96M
SNES - 17.17M
PS - 18.86M
NES - 19.35M
PSP - 19.69M
PS2 - 21.98M

But we already have PS2, PSP and GBA in that graph and Switch is soaring well past them.

Fair enough. I still like the idea personally but ultimately it's for hisa-kun to decide since it's their time being used to make the graphs, so I dont want to risk being pushy with an idea. If they don't think it fits their style I may give it a go myself. The graphs are half the fun with these threads for me so if there is a way I can give back without stepping on toes I may take it.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
why people is so upset about PS4 numbers?
yes, this week's numbers are pathetic, but there are reasons and it doesn't change that much to sell 2.000 units or 800 units a week, nowadays, for it

ofcourse, I can understand that below-1000 is a "milestone" and that it being unable to match PS3 sales IS something relevant for a sales-thread

PS4 has to be over ps3 aligned before the ps5 arrives.... didn't you know??

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
GoT will become a million seller. BELIEVE!!

Joking aside Floor of this game looking like 700k, 1mil is slim but not impossible

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Oof. I know that Sony doesn't care about hardware sales in Japan at this point, but I never expected weekly PS4 sales to drop below the 3DS this year.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ring Fit is joining the elites of JRPG sales in Japan. Almost 1.5M now.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Is the PS4 the strangest case of discrepancy between hardware and software sales? PS4 games seem to have sold decently enough all while the hardware continued to decline.

Though I guess it's potentially still affected by not being in stock? Maybe?