• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, i got that :) My reply was ment to be a reply to both you and who you qouted, but i could have quoted both persons to make that more clear. I wasnt really thinking about Psycho Mantis in specific when i said "to be fair" because i'm sure more than him have talked about sales in Asia. I was thinking more about the general point that sales from asian countries could have offset some of the decline some game series have seen in Japan.
Sure, but as far as I remember, a major part of the purpose of this argument (that sales from asian countries could offset some of the decline in certain games) was to "justify" Sony getting exclusivity on this or that game even though it seemed to be declining in japan. So these charts shed a very different light on that "justification".

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
It's interesting enough that we've gone from assumed PlayStation domination in Asia to doubting that Switch is dominant based on the limited data we have.

Though PlayStation is dominant in terms of presence in Asia. Perhaps not in actual sales, but I mean in marketing and retail presence in China at least. People like Saint-14 were mocking me for "reaching"/"fanboyism" when I criticize Sony for buying up the up-and-coming games from Chinese devs. These people don't even live in China (which I do) and don't understand how Sony has already established a dominant presence there. Go to any retail game store in China or the SARs and you'll find more PlayStation games than Nintendo ones. So I was annoyed by Sony going even further by disrupting a DEVELOPING industry and making Chinese devs dependent on their platform -- which is ironically what China also wants to do with the Belt and Road Initiative.

I hate discussing Asia on ResetEra. It seems like a lot of people go crazy and make assumptions on what they know about Korea, China, and Japan. Hell, a lot of people seem to view Media Create threads as a safe haven for "Nintendo fanboys" simply because the sales data and its implications regarding certain business practices go against what some non-Nintendo users think. Pisses me off.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Unsure if it was posted already but since people keep talking about Falcom here:

There was the recent mobile port announcement recently by a different publisher, but what publishers other than NIS and probably Marvelous/XSeed might be even interested? Falcom is a bit overrepresented in MediaCreate discussions for what they actually represent in the Japanese market sales wise. Kind of like how Gust and Atelier were often mentioned prior to Falcom, the latter got the spotlight after Gust became a reliable Switch supporter.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Falcom is a bit overrepresented in MediaCreate discussions for what they actually represent in the Japanese market sales wise.
I wouldn't say "overrepresented". they're a company who's actively swimming against the flow in Japan, which is striking to people given their relative size and previous sales.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
falcom is a company that's mostly focused in japan, and somehow seems to be betting heavily on a declining market in their most important territory. there are many companies who do the same, but they have the excuse of their games being really big outside japan, or their games being technically too advanced for other platforms. falcom has neither excuse. while it's completely within their rights to put their focus where they do and they're not the only game company who's making weird decisions, it's understandable why people are fascinated and/or confused by them.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
falcom is a company that's mostly focused in japan, and somehow seems to be betting heavily on a declining market in their most important territory.

What territory are you referring to here?

PSV Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana 47.681 78.070 Nihon Falcom 21/07/2016​
PS4 Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana 30.764 63.936 Nihon Falcom 25/05/2017​
SWI Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana 6.817 9.101 Nihon Falcom 28/06/2018​

If it's Japan then I'd have to ask, what is the declining market? Despite being a "late port" Ys VIII for PS4 sold very very well compared to what it sold originally for Vita. Then the Switch came out a year after that and sold much, much less. So I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to as a declining market.

Edited to remove digital numbers from PS4/Vita.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the home console market in japan has been declining since the ps2, and will continue to decline. a late switch port selling less than the ps4 version doesn't negate that. with vita now being dead, their current strategy isn't going to work out well for them in the long term.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

PSV Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana 47.681 78.070 Nihon Falcom 21/07/2016​
PS4 Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana 30.764 63.936 Nihon Falcom 25/05/2017​
SWI Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana 6.817 9.101 Nihon Falcom 28/06/2018​

If it's Japan then I'd have to ask, what is the declining market? Despite being a "late port" Ys VIII for PS4 sold very very well compared to what it sold originally for Vita. Then the Switch came out a year after that and sold much, much less. So I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to as a declining market.

Edited to remove digital numbers from PS4/Vita.
You can see clear decline when looking at the Trails of Cold Steel series:

TOCS 1 (PS3/VITA): 175k FW
TOCS 2 (PS3/VITA): 169k FW
TOCS 3 (PS4): 104k FW
TOCS 4 (PS4): 97k FW

Granted, we do have the matter of whether the reception of TOCS 3 had anything to do with this, although I don't believe that should have impacted first week sales so that much, but rather have decimated the already tenuous legs that JRPGs tend to have.

The Switch/PS4 ports of YS VIII were handled quite differently: the PS4 was already announced by the time the VITA version released, giving people the ability to wait for the game on PS4 if they wanted to. The Switch port, on the other hand, came way after, and furthermore didn't fill a need for people (since the game already had both a handheld and console version - PS4 did fill that console audience's need, in contrast). Going forward, the Switch version would be capable of providing the handheld need of the owners, which is probably a viable market for Falcom games considering how TOCS lost 70k of its 170k first week sales when dropping the VITA.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Yes Falcom seems really to have their very own view on things. A year or two years ago they even stated that their fans are graphic focused, while their focus and most of their sales were on PSP and PSV before these systems became obsolete.

As they won't be able to produce AAA games in the forseeable future, it just shows how unconvincing his answer was.

Looking at Gust and even TokyoRPG Factory, it's not like it's prohibitive to support more systems. For such small companies I think it would be beneficial to actually put Switch as lead plattform, which facilitates ports to stronger hardware, similar to how Falcon handled PSV prior to its demise.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ys 8 had extra content added to the PS4 version too(which was carried over to Switch).

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at Gust and even TokyoRPG Factory, it's not like it's prohibitive to support more systems. For such small companies I think it would be beneficial to actually put Switch as lead plattform, which facilitates ports to stronger hardware, similar to how Falcon handled PSV prior to its demise.
gust is a good example of a company that was quick to adapt to the new market. had they kept their games to ps4/vita, they would have likely been in trouble by now, now that vita is no longer an option.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Ys IX will see big decline inside and outside of Japan as PS4 exclusive, what's exactly the argument?

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Ys IX will see big decline inside and outside of Japan as PS4 exclusive, what's exactly the argument?
Why do you think it's exclusive and won't be ported to the Switch after a year or two?

As far as initial releases go, I think Ys IX will not decline at all. It should easily match if not surpass the 80-90k of the initial release of Ys VIII and Seven.

If a "late port" of Ys VIII can sell almost 65k you'd have to think reaching 100k is rather possible for a brand new game.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I'm very curious why you think that.
Because Ys VIII on PS4 which released 10 months after the initial release on Vita sold around 65k retail. Think about that. A late port, something that is always used an excuse for very low sales, sold ~80% of what its original release did. That's for a Vita game.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch/PS4 ports of YS VIII were handled quite differently: the PS4 was already announced by the time the VITA version released, giving people the ability to wait for the game on PS4 if they wanted to. The Switch port, on the other hand, came way after, and furthermore didn't fill a need for people (since the game already had both a handheld and console version - PS4 did fill that console audience's need, in contrast). Going forward, the Switch version would be capable of providing the handheld need of the owners, which is probably a viable market for Falcom games considering how TOCS lost 70k of its 170k first week sales when dropping the VITA.
Actually Ys VIII was announced as PS4/Vita title from day one, everyone knew a PS4 version was in work from initial reveal.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Because Ys VIII on PS4 which released 10 months after the initial release on Vita sold around 65k retail. Think about that. A late port, something that is always used an excuse for very low sales, sold ~80% of what its original release did. That's for a Vita game.

Ahh ok. For some reason I thought PSV/PS4 release was simultaneous so I thought the bar was much higher.

I don't necessarily disagree..though I'm still not seeing how a PS4 only release would be a wise decision if our overall bar is something like 85K LTD.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
So since Dragon Quest XI was announced as a Switch title from day one, it will be completely fine to compare its numbers to the 3DS and PS4 release? Good to know that releasing later than the original release has no significance as long as the buyers know from day one that its being developed for another platform as well.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
You can see clear decline when looking at the Trails of Cold Steel series:

TOCS 1 (PS3/VITA): 175k FW
TOCS 2 (PS3/VITA): 169k FW
TOCS 3 (PS4): 104k FW
TOCS 4 (PS4): 97k FW

Granted, we do have the matter of whether the reception of TOCS 3 had anything to do with this, although I don't believe that should have impacted first week sales so that much, but rather have decimated the already tenuous legs that JRPGs tend to have.

Ride or die

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
So since Dragon Quest XI was announced as a Switch title from day one, it will be completely fine to compare its numbers to the 3DS and PS4 release? Good to know that releasing later than the original release has no significance as long as the buyers know from day one that its being developed for another platform as well.

Oh come on. That's ridiculous. DQ XI was announced for a platform that hadn't even been unveiled, the PS4/3DS versions were the focus from announcement until release and the Switch port is coming out 2 years after its initial release.

Not even remotely the same and you know it.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
That's using the logic they provided to show why their logic makes no sense. A late port is a late port. Whether or not it's known from day one that another platform release is coming doesn't matter. It's a late port.

You're purposefully oversimplifying. A vague, semi-official announcement of a game coming to a platform not even named yet is not remotely the same as a PSV/PS4 day 1 unveiling where the PS4 version just comes out later.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
gust is a good example of a company that was quick to adapt to the new market. had they kept their games to ps4/vita, they would have likely been in trouble by now, now that vita is no longer an option.

Yes, they would have been in a quite bad situation right now, if they didn't built a small audience early on. Will be interesting to compare the performance of upcoming Gust and Falcom games.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but as far as I remember, a major part of the purpose of this argument (that sales from asian countries could offset some of the decline in certain games) was to "justify" Sony getting exclusivity on this or that game even though it seemed to be declining in japan. So these charts shed a very different light on that "justification".
I see. In that case, the arguement would be a bit different indeed. I still dont think these charts proves much so far however. We've only had them for like 2 months now i think, its only top 5 without numbers (and retail only), and there havnt been any big PS4 titles in that period (from what i can remember). I'm not complaining though, just saying that its too little information to tell much about overall performance of the different systems.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The jump from a Vita game to a PS4 game is quite big, DQ11 was on both a powerful console and a portable one from the get go, no big reason to wait for an unknown later version

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Yes, they would have been in a quite bad situation right now, if they didn't built a small audience early on. Will be interesting to compare the performance of upcoming Gust and Falcom games.
I'm hoping Ryza does well. Really enjoying the trailers they have released for it thus far.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
User banned (3 days): trolling and antagonizing other members over a series of posts
A better comparison for Ys VIII Switch is Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 on PS4.
Games released on the PS3 where PS4 owners had already played them? Interesting comparison you have there. Allows me to see how your brain equates a 2 year old late port with a 5 year old late port on another generation of consoles. Fascinating.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
There are two reasons, besides the one that schuelma gave about YS VIII PS4 being much less nebulous than DQXI S, why DQXI S is not going to do comparable to the 3ds or PS4 releases.

1) Dragon Quest is a much more mainstream audience than YS, which means that the audience is probably not as easily enticed to double dip compared to a hard-core franchise like YS, especially when the Switch game has remained under wraps until well after the other versions launched.

2) DQXI already had its console and handheld bases covered, so there is no platform console or handheld audience that has not been served. Especially for YS, with it being a hard-core franchise, it's much more likely that there is an audience that really wants to get the game on a console compared to a franchise like DQ.

Comparing DQ and YS does not give you too much valuable insight considering the huge difference in size between the franchises.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I can very well sustain my own argument with someone who is willing to hear.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
2) DQXI already had its console and handheld bases covered, so there is no platform console or handheld audience that has not been served.
The handheld version of DX XI is very much different for the Switch than it was for the 3DS. If you're not aware of this, then I'd understand your point here. Otherwise it looks like you're saying that the handheld audience is only satisfied by the retro 2D version.

I can very well sustain my own argument with someone who is willing to hear.
My ears are always open for those who can support their logic and rational and don't stoop to "why so mad bro XD" level of comments. A forum is a place for discussion, and I'm always open to it. However, telling the person you are trying to rebut to "relax" isn't based in any sort of logic and just looks like someone seeking a quick out instead of continuing discussion.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that's such an apples and oranges comparison
- Ys 8 came to PS4 10 months later, DQ11 is coming to Switch 26 months later
- DQ11 launched on 3DS and PS4, two success systems with huge userbases while the success of Switch was far from guaranteed, Ys 8 launched on Vita, a not-so-successful platform while PS4 was already a proven success

edit:
- DQ11 already has had portable and console versions, Ys 8 did not when it launched.

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The handheld version of DX XI is very much different for the Switch than it was for the 3DS. If you're not aware of this, then I'd understand your point here. Otherwise it looks like you're saying that the handheld audience is only satisfied by the retro 2D version.
I am aware of that. Since DQ has a mainstream audience, though, I do not believe that people playing the 3ds version are simply going to be swayed to double dip on the Switch version because it is the UE4 version en masse. There is a large difference between not having any version of the game and having a version of the game, even if that version is visually vastly different.

Again, this relies on the idea that because DQ audience is more mainstream and less hard-core, the audience is less inclined to require the best visuals than the YS audience would be.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I am aware of that. Since DQ has a mainstream audience, though, I do not believe that people playing the 3ds version are simply going to be swayed to double dip on the Switch version because it is the UE4 version en masse. There is a large difference between not having any version of the game and having a version of the game, even if that version is visually vastly different.

Again, this relies on the idea that because DQ audience is more mainstream and less hard-core, the audience is less inclined to require the best visuals than the YS audience would be.
And if you knew the Ys audience, you'd know that graphics has never, ever, been Nihon Falcom's strong point. It's all about the story, characters, and (most importantly I've found for Ys fans) gameplay.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You really shouldn't entertain such a stupid argument made in bad faith comparing two games with little in common.

EDIT: and he got banned again for that.

Last edited:

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Is this really worth getting worked up over?
I beg your pardon? Why would you say I'm "getting worked up" by simply questioning why the poster had abandoned his own argument? I've always loved debates of thoughts and ideas, and I do wonder why people are so quick to flee from their own arguments.

Now, I would question if you have zero input into the discussion at hand, why would you confront me if you have no substantial argument to make? Simply let that particular conversation die if you having nothing of worth to contribute.