• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
spike chunsoft doesn't want to put danganronpa on switch. i don't think they'll put zanki zero on switch either. both received a lot of promotional support in japan from sony, so they feel they owe sony their allegiance not to support nintendo. pc and xbox would be fine, because they don't consider those platforms to be in direct competition with playstation.
Speaking of Zanki Zero, a while ago on ryokutya they discovered a new Lancarse hiring for a switch/ps4 game that was licensed by Spike Chunsoft, so it's probably coming sooner or later

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Vita had a lot of bad luck. Not getting monster hunter. Nintendo doing a massive price drop on 3ds that made the Vita go from price competitive to being a huge price difference. Than releasing stuff like 3D Land and Animal Crossing. Also Games that could have been huge on Vita like Assassins Creed, Resistance, Call of Duty all ended up being duds.

In some ways developers treated the Vita as if it was much more powerful than it actually was and didn't develop the right games for it.

I don't think any of those things is "luck".

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
003.jpg
LMAOOOOOOO

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Trails of Cold Steel 3 was the first game in the series to be released on the PS4 and it's exclusive. The truth with Falcom is that they just believe that all of their fans are on PlayStation.

Falcom is really not in a good position.
Development cost for Sony ecosystem is just going to keep increasing and the latest 2 entries of Kiseki only sold half of the previous entries.
They are increasingly more dependent on overseas sales, especially from Asia.
That and they probably have to reuse assets across more games to keep costs low.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Development cost for Sony ecosystem is just going to keep increasing and the latest 2 entries of Kiseki only sold half of the previous entries.
That and they probably have to reuse assets across more games to keep costs low.

i feel that if the ps5 forces them into a corner, they'll be on switch 2 in 2022 (at least in a multiplatform capacity). the ps4 userbase will be around the same size the ps3's was, and probably healthy enough to keep supporting with xanadus, yses, and kisekis until then.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
spike chunsoft doesn't want to put danganronpa on switch. i don't think they'll put zanki zero on switch either. both received a lot of promotional support in japan from sony, so they feel they owe sony their allegiance not to support nintendo. pc and xbox would be fine, because they don't consider those platforms to be in direct competition with playstation.

Man this is really crazy. I almost can't believe they are still operating this way in 2019. those companies should really adapt because things will not go the way they wish, they can't direct consumers to the platform they choose like it was in the past, everything has changed and even in Japan sales are indicating that if people want a certain game on a portable, they won't buy it on a console and they will lose sales and money.

I've been following Danganronpa since the fan translation release on PSP, I bought a Vita specifically for Danganronpa 2 at the time, and I also bought the third one, but I won't buy another Danganronpa game or Znki Zero if they are not released on a portable, I'm not going to buy a visual novel to be stuck reading lines in front of TV for 20-40 hours, and there is only just one portable in the market right now. however, the market is changing and a lot of this stuff is announced for Switch those days, they will probably make the jump sooner or later.

this is a question I wanted to ask though: do you guys know/think if Nintendo don't communicate with Japanese third parties as well/open as Sony?
maybe they were harder to reach? because I think if this is true, they probably changed a bit this gen, they described Switch software makers as "Partners" in a slide, I never saw Nintendo phrase it like this before. they also worked/are working closely with NIS and Marvelous and other mid-sized companies directly, they are reaching to other companies in a way maybe they never did before.

Japanese companies worked on Vita even when it didn't sell very well, so its not only about how a platform is doing but its more than that.

Oct 26, 2017

Not to mention that Ys 8 apparently is selling fastest on Switch in the west so it's becoming harder to justify avoiding the system. Hell I wonder how long until it becomes the highest selling version LTD...

NISA gave Engine Software The Caligula Effect Overdose to port to Switch and from the footage seen, it's performing surprisingly well technically, better than Ys 8 did it seems. Meaning they could get future Falcom ports if the Ys 8 Switch team(s) aren't up to the task.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't think anyone could have predicted Nintendo dropping the 3ds price by $80 in it's first year

That's still not luck. More of a reflection of the handheld market shrinking and increased competition from mobile. Both which affect Vita regardless of 3DS price.

3DS still sold far less than DS, even with price drop. So competition from Nintendo that ended up weaker than predecessor is a fortunate break for the Vita if anything

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
this is a question I wanted to ask though: do you guys know/think if Nintendo don't communicate with Japanese third parties as well/open as Sony?
maybe they were harder to reach? because I think if this is true, they probably changed a bit this gen, they described Switch software makers as "Partners" in a slide, I never saw Nintendo phrase it like this before. they also worked/are working closely with NIS and Marvelous and other mid-sized companies directly, they are reaching to other companies in a way maybe they never did before.

Japanese companies worked on Vita even when it didn't sell very well, so its not only about how a platform is doing but its more than that.

nintendo opened up a lot more this gen. i think they either saw chances with companies that were passed over by sony, or they were desperate for any kind of third-party support. the switch launch kinda shows that, but it also helped establish the kinds of games that would eventually make it big on switch: retro-style games, japanese-developed games, and indie games.

sony dropped indies as soon as they could get their hands on destiny and call of duty. they also stopped supporting smaller japanese companies around this time (basically, 2015, after the ps4 established its foothold and was getting high-profile stuff on the regular). in japan it was a bit different. playstation japan still cares about the small guys and supports them.

if you see danganronpa on switch, it would have to be some kind of super sweet deal, like funding the development of the port, and any upcoming danganronpa game. i don't see spike chunsoft going for anything less than that - even a nintendo-funded port of the trilogy/series up until now.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i feel that if the ps5 forces them into a corner, they'll be on switch 2 in 2022 (at least in a multiplatform capacity). the ps4 userbase will be around the same size the ps3's was, and probably healthy enough to keep supporting with xanadus, yses, and kisekis until then.

PS4 probably won't have much left, if PS5 is released next year. It's also a really old platform and I feel a lot of people are ready to jump to next gen.
Kiseki latest development cycle was around 3 years, with additional year for an asset reuse sequel.
2022 will be really late and the game probably needs to be ported to another platform for overseas audience.
Not to mention Falcom wants to take a break from Kiseki, and if that's the case, it probably won't make sense to develop for PS4 anymore.
I feel developing for Switch is a safer bet for now, but then again Sony might've been helping Falcom and the jump might be a bit risky now considering that.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention that Ys 8 apparently is selling fastest on Switch in the west so it's becoming harder to justify avoiding the system. Hell I wonder how long until it becomes the highest selling version LTD...

NISA gave Engine Software The Caligula Effect Overdose to port to Switch and from the footage seen, it's performing surprisingly well technically, better than Ys 8 did it seems. Meaning they could get future Falcom ports if the Ys 8 Switch team(s) aren't up to the task.
it helps that Caligula Effect is on a constantly updated engine compared to whatever Ys was running on. while Falcom might be getting kickbacks from Sony Asia/JP, moving to a more portable engine would allow them to do ports more readily internally

Oct 26, 2017
it helps that Caligula Effect is on a constantly updated engine compared to whatever Ys was running on. while Falcom might be getting kickbacks from Sony Asia/JP, moving to a more portable engine would allow them to do ports more readily internally

Now that I think about it, aren't most of Falcom's games now made on Phyre Engine? Virtuos now has experience with it on Switch via Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XII. Maybe they could take on Cold Steel ports and Ys 9 if the latter is on the same engine.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190125-00000029-it_nlab-sci&p=2

Fitness Boxing
Google Translate said:
- About a month has passed since its release, how about sales?

We are gaining popularity thanks to you. Sales have gradually increased since the launch, and even after the year-end and New Year holidays, stable sales have continued.

- How about the download version?

Download version is also good. Because of the game nature which continues little by little every day, the purchase ratio of download version is very high.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
nintendo opened up a lot more this gen. i think they either saw chances with companies that were passed over by sony, or they were desperate for any kind of third-party support. the switch launch kinda shows that, but it also helped establish the kinds of games that would eventually make it big on switch: retro-style games, japanese-developed games, and indie games.

I won't say they were desperate though. a platform holder like Nintendo can't show weakness no matter how bad its situation is or was. I strongly remember an interview with Reggie last year where he interrupted the other side to make a distinction between Nintendo and other publishers saying they are "the platform holder", and others are "publishers". unfortunately I can't recall exactly which interview it was. i actually expected them to be much more aggressive than they were, but they wanted to prove to all they can still succeed on their own, and they are not dependent on others for success.

what they did is, they played their cards very, very smartly. for example, they choose NIS as partner, NIS has always been known as a strong partner for Playstation. they gave NIS a slot early in Switch's life cycle and made them a favor. the game didn't really have any competition, and sold more than the original release if I'm not mistaken. because of this smart move not only they won over NIS as a new partner for them, but they also indirectly convinced a lot of other developers that worked exclusively on Playstation before to also release games on Switch. Disgaea 5 was a very important strategic release for Switch.

Nintendo is still a company that like to make favors to others, they did the same with Bethesda and gave them November slot all for themselves without having CoD or other games competing with Doom, they made a favor to Bethesda too.

I think they didn't exactly change how they operate, but they expanded their operations, they are accepting all kind of software now, and they are more supportive for smaller companies. but, they are still selective and they still depend on key releases and certain strategies different to how Sony seems to operate where their goal is to have everything on their platform no matter how big or small it is.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, aren't most of Falcom's games now made on Phyre Engine? Virtuos now has experience with it on Switch via Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XII. Maybe they could take on Cold Steel ports and Ys 9 if the latter is on the same engine.
I heard they moved to it with the latest Trials game. but if they were gonna outsource, that's something they could have since been doing

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Trails of Cold Steel I and II are Falcom's highest selling games. Their performance is not the norm for Falcom. Most of their games hover around 50-150k (in Japan). Also they've proven that they don't need to use the full power of the PS4 to be successful on it so they don't need to make top tier assets.
And I fully expect Ys IX to be the highest selling entry in the franchise.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I won't say they were desperate though. a platform holder like Nintendo can't show weakness no matter how bad its situation is or was. I strongly remember an interview with Reggie last year where he interrupted the other side to make a distinction between Nintendo and other publishers saying they are "the platform holder", and others are "publishers". unfortunately I can't recall exactly which interview it was. iactually expected them to be much more aggressive than they were, but they wanted to prove to all they can still succeed on their own, and they are not dependent on others for success.

what they did is, they played their cards very, very smartly. for example, they choose NIS as partner, NIS has always been known as a strong partner for Playstation. they gave NIS a slot early in Switch's life cycle and made them a favor. the game didn't really have any competition, and sold more than the original release if I'm not mistaken. because of this smart move not only they won over NIS as a new partner for them, but they also indirectly convinced a lot of other developers that worked exclusively on Playstation before to also release games on Switch. Disgaea 5 was a very important strategic release for Switch.

Nintendo is still a company that like to make favors to others, they did the same with Bethesda and gave them November slot all for themselves without having CoD or other games competing with Doom, they made a favor to Bethesda too.

I think they didn't exactly change how they operate, but they expanded their operations, they are accepting all kind of software now, and they are more supportive for smaller companies. but, they are still selective and they still depend on key releases and certain strategies different to how Sony seems to operate where their goal is to have everything on their platform no matter how big or small it is.

disgaea 5 was a fluke. in japan the game came out at launch and... well i guess it did okay for a two year old port on a new system. it was pushed out past launch in the west on accident. the japanese version has english in it and the western version has french text in it. for whatever reason the wrong base of the ps4 version was used and the western version had to be pushed out. the new release date was sort of magic though - enough time for people to finish their 100+ hour runs of zelda, when there was no other major single-player game with the same history behind it. in the west, nintendo fans were talking it up like it was an exclusive game to the system. it gave it a bigger spotlight than any two year old port deserved.

for the rest you are right. the unintended side-effect of disgaea 5's surprise success was that it convinced nis to jump on the platform and it turned nisa in particular into an advocate for nintendo when talking with outside companies. i don't think it was nintendo's plan to use nis and disgaea as the franchise to do so however.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Would PhyreEngine have made it easier to Falcom to develop for both Vita and PS3? I always assumed that that's why they were able to do it. But even then, parts of Sen no Kiseki ran terribly on Vita, and it was patched (after I had completed the game) to fix the lengthy loading screens and drops down to 10 FPS or so during certain events.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Trails of Cold Steel I and II are Falcom's highest selling games. Their performance is not the norm for Falcom. Most of their games hover around 50-150k (in Japan). Also they've proven that they don't need to use the full power of the PS4 to be successful on it so they don't need to make top tier assets.
And I fully expect Ys IX to be the highest selling entry in the franchise.

No company will be happy settling in whatever "norm" for their sales. You always aim to grow and there's a saying in business in that you either grow or you'll just die (due to competition getting better of you).
This is especially true in HD era when game development cost increase exponentially and the sales need to grow to compensate that.

Ys IX probably will be the best selling worldwide if NIS helps again with multiplatform release. Otherwise I just can't see that happening.
In Japan, Ys IX will be down vs Ys VIII. The loss of Vita audience is just too big.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is an extremely dumb move, if true.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some devs simply would rather less profit rather than risking moving out of its comfort zone. I thought this is a known thing especially for jp devs.

We have seen this happen from wii,ds,3ds to now switch. The dev would probably argue that it is risky developing for switch and it is better just saving those port money for new game on PC and PS4. That way, they get money with small risk.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Probably largely due to PS3 catching up a lot of ground once that particular comparison was no longer being paid much attention to. Peak difference was Wii ahead by 5 million, and it was still 4 million ahead by the time Wii U launched.

In this case I think the fact that it wasn't as close in software plays a role. In hardware DS was about a third ahead of 3DS, but in software half or more.
It's kinda weird to think the ps3 was only 2 million behind the Wii. It always feels like the gap was much bigger then it was.
Well hw sales are half of the picture. 3DS is third best selling hw in japan but in sw sales it's at 7th place. Behind all successful home consoles (FC, SFC, PS1, PS2) and from handhelds GB and DS. Switch is trailing behind 3DS in hw sales but above in sw sales. Even if it doesn't outsell 3DS in hw sales if it sells way more sw I consider it as a bigger success because sw is where the money is made. Just like when people cite PSP as last big success from Sony they usually just look at the hw sales. PS4 is tracking to beat PSP in sw sales (especially if you include digital) despite looking to sell only half of the hw.
Yeah when you look at it this was Sony will probably be happier with the ps4 compared to the PSP in Japan if it makes them more money. Digital, ps plus, ps now and other digital revenues are very valuable to them.

horuhe

Oct 25, 2017
京都市
Rakuten Books Sales Ranking (2019.01.25)

01./00. (001./000.) [PS4] Kingdom Hearts III <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./01. (003./004.) [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo)
03./02. (004./005.) [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate <FTG> (Nintendo)
04./05. (005./008.) [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix)
05./04. (006./007.) [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./00. (007./000.) [PS4] Resident Evil 2 (Z Ver.) <ACT> (Capcom)
07./03. (009./006.) [PS4] Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
08./08. (011./018.) [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
09./06. (012./012.) [NSW] Super Mario Party <ETC> (Nintendo)
10./00. (014./000.) [PS4] Resident Evil 2 <ACT> (Capcom)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking (2019.01.25)

01./04. (023./021.) [PS4] Jump Force <FTG> (Bandai Namco)
02./09. (037./055.) [PS4] Days Gone <ACT> (Sony)
03./07. (039./046.) [PS4] Far Cry: New Dawn <ADV> (Ubisoft)
04./11. (040./066.) [PS4] Anthem: Legion of Dawn <ACT> (Electronic Arts)
05./19. (044./098.) [PS4] Catherine: Full Body <ADV> (Atlus)

** WARNING **

* Note: Games on Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at
Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
* Note: Games on Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly
affect games listed on Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
IIRC it was the last slide so probably not much else than just ending on a funny/sad note.
From the Video, it looks like it was the first slide. And the context was plz, buy and develop games for vita! Sony didn't paid me to say this, I swear.
I see. In either case, it does come out as awkward. The PSVita wasn't really a hit anywhere several years ago.
Some devs simply would rather less profit rather than risking moving out of its comfort zone. I thought this is a known thing especially for jp devs.

We have seen this happen from wii,ds,3ds to now switch. The dev would probably argue that it is risky developing for switch and it is better just saving those port money for new game on PC and PS4. That way, they get money with small risk.
Well, up until the Switch, there could have been a legit argument that the software tools, popularity, and/or the graphical capability of Nintendo's consoles were an issue. That's not really the case now for these Vita-caliber games, though.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I see. In either case, it does come out as awkward. The PSVita wasn't really a hit anywhere several years ago.

Well, up until the Switch, there could have been a legit argument that the software tools, popularity, and/or the graphical capability of Nintendo's consoles were an issue. That's not really the case now for these Vita-caliber games, though.

The biggest issue will be there will be no Sony portable going forward.

I guess the really die hards may just go mobile.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
The PS5 is going to have a hard life ahead of it.

The PS4 not only had the tragedy Wii U and a very tech weak 3DS competing against it, but it also had the ability to leech the life out of both the console PS3 and the handheld PS Vita market by transitioning their install bases and franchises to it. It also became had the excitement of the big budget home console blockbuster return of both Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, and Monster Hunter.

The PS5 will only be able to transition the PS4 audience, the budget increases will make lower budget studios struggle even more and slow the rate of big AAA releases. So studios will want to make up the revenue to counter the even higher costs. Now the PS5 is going against an explosive Nintendo Switch in terms of both hardware and software comparatively.
Obviously not every studio is going to go to switch due to hardware restraints but the Playstation exclusive market will diminish greatly. It's already happening with all the Japanese games going PC, Xbox, and Nintendo. Next gen is going to be tough for PS5 I believe

That's not even including a potential Switch Pro/Switch 2 like 2-3 years into the PS5's life cycle. Coming hot off the the popular Switch and with more power, maybe 3rd parties will be more willing/confident to jump in much quicker than Switch after the flop Wii U

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Splatoon 2 special demo coming in March (March 26th to April 1st). Full game apparently (minus SP?), can play against player with full version, save data transfer to full version. NSO Trial at the same time, too.

Oh, and a few more weapons announced (not new per se, more special version as part of Sheldon's Picks brand).

Finally, looks like update with more than just game balance / bug fixes is in the works.

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Woah, why is Conception Plus not getting a switch release? Spike Chunsoft has to know how important the "touch communication" is for the devout fans of the series. And with Sony no longer allowing anything that could be perceived as molesting/groping this would be the perfect chance to get otaku to latch onto the Switch.
Was there a announcement I missed

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, interesting.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They revealed that the touch features from the PSP versions was originally planned to be included, but had to be removed for "various circumstances". They apologized and said that they're going to keep trying to get it implemented.
I see, this is also the 1st time I knew the game was even announced. Checking on Twitter it seemed to be super low-key all around

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Smaller companies can be more choosy in business planning as this might highly depend on the willingness of few people. Bigger companies can't avoid a successful console unless they aim at a different target and they think they can't find it everywhere. Sooner or later, smaller companies like Falcom and Spike Chunsoft will open their eyes.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Diablo III is the other December release on Switch that increases popularity, it even faced supply problems at its second week.

High digital adoption for Fitness Boxing and Taiko show a change in behavior comparing to previous Nintendo consoles.

Just out of curiosity but Fitness Boxing is the 6th best-selling game on Amazon Japan right now.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 2 special demo coming in March (March 26th to April 1st). Full game apparently (minus SP?), can play against player with full version, save data transfer to full version. NSO Trial at the same time, too.

Oh, and a few more weapons announced (not new per se, more special version as part of Sheldon's Picks brand).

Finally, looks like update with more than just game balance / bug fixes is in the works.

Not really suprised by this, and I hope this leads to another update with new content.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking for Famitsu and the accurate digital polls they provide, Stardew Valley gets a retail release for both Switch and PS4 next week. It's the first time the game appears on PS4.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.

Ah, now I understand why port-happy NISA hasn't ported Danganronpa, considering it's one of their most successful IP. Especially with SC America taking over publishing duties outside Japan.

Lack of Zero Escape on Switch doesn't surprise me either.

It's certainly faring way better than you'd expect in the weekly eShop Top 10.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
User banned (2 weeks): Antagonizing other users, long history of accumulated infractions.
Oh, good old conspiracy theories from unverified users. I guess that's because nothing to discuss this week, zero releases.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, good old conspiracy theories from unverified users. I guess that's because nothing to discuss this week, zero releases.

If you don't know who a certain user is, it is okay to ask why people are not questioning what he says.
If you want to discuss about KH3/RE2, feel free to do it, people will gladly join you.

There is no need for that kind of post really.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Still no word from retailers on how KH3 and RE2 performed in the first few days?