• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ARMs would also be considered a big new IP by the standards the other Japanese publishers are judged by.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
(I reply to a previous post by test_account that ask me a question which I didn't had the time to respond back then, hope you don't mind)

Yeah, i agree with that. I think it show that the home console market is declining because its missing much of that software, and people find that software elsewhere. I do also think that in many cases, portable hardware is more desireable due to it being smaller and portable. Often Vita games sold better than PS3/PS4 versions for example despite being worse technically, so i do think hardware attributes also play a role into it. Not the only reason of course, but i think it can be a factor. I wonder if it would be possible to get the home console market back to ~20 million units again? I mean, i theory its possible with enough software, but if it will ever happen realistically. EDIT: I added some text.
There is no doubt that what sell a console is the combination between hardware and software and the ability to create momentum from the get go to expand the software support over time (and triggering the benevolent network effect that help spreading of the platform).
In Japan it could be said that the portable nature adapt well to certain lifestyle that is common there (I think for example to the long/frequent commute trips).
That is why a console designed with the goal to adapt to everybody lifestyle is a powerful proposition (Switch).
Not just in Japan but everywhere in the world (who doesn't value the maximization of your little free time when you work 8-10 hours a day and you have a family to care about?).

My answer to your question is that if you want to sell 20M console in Japan, you need to excite at least 15 million japanese consumers enough to buy into your ecosystem (let's take in account the console multi ownership in the households).
Obviously software, especially software suitable for the japanese audience, play a key role (without it a console is just a doorstep).
What it's a bit underwhelming is that it seems to me you are framing your question around a specific definition of what is a console that is fixed through time and based on past preconceptions.
To me this excitement can be also obtained by introducing new hardware features that goes beyond what is the common, at the time, definition of game console (and pass through suitable software that use these new features and that need to aim at a large audience and not just be elitist).
So who knows what reserve the future :-)

Oh and about PSV its performance in the japanese market is better evaluated by looking at the software sales than the hardware total sales.
PSV only had 12 games in its entire library that sold over the measly threshold of 200K in Japan.
It was lucky enough to stumble upon a new phenomenon like Minecraft.
nqTIhGn.jpg

Last edited:

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
The cyclical Switch 3rd party doom train will next stop on April 18th

www.resetera.com

Danganronpa 10th anniversary events starting, promise news on games + more

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/04/danganronpa-10th-anniversary-monthly-news-broadcasts-to-begin-in-may https://www.famitsu.com/news/202004/09196319.html There'll be more information at Famitsu's game awards on April 18th. Worth noting that Famitsu doesn't specifically call out a new game in its...
And here is my cyclical response: their loss.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
And that's.... quite the non-response.

The 3DS had basically everything the Wii U had and more, right?

The extent to which the WiiU failed in every market (including markets the 3DS wasnt great in) suggests to me it wasnt that the 3DS replaced the WiiU for Nintendo software more than the WiiU was a conceptually unappealing product.

And I mean damn, anyone that owned one knows it was a confusing expensive piece of shit hardware with no 3rd party support what so ever. The WiiU never would have been successful.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Yes but it gets those games because it's a powerful home console with big sales WW.

I don't think making the system a hybrid would lead to a collapse in player interest worldwide.

People keep treating the Switch like it's going to be some sort of aberration or only-Nintendo thing, but I don't think it is. I think it's the shape of consoles to come. Everyone playing a Switch is being trained to expect game consoles to be portable. That includes a lot of young people, who I'm not sure will be eager to become tethered to their TV for their gaming in the future.

The story of technology is that of "good enough" convenient technology winning out of technically superior but less convenient technology.

It's also worth noting that "big sales WW" for the PS4-but-slightly-prettier PS5 aren't at all guaranteed. I think there's a chance we might look back at this time as Sony misreading the market.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
And that's.... quite the non-response.

The 3DS had basically everything the Wii U had and more, right?
Wrong. The WiiU had no mass market appeal

Actually no, it had no market appeal at all despite having some of Nintendo's finest games ever produced. The WiiU didn't fail because the 3DS existed, it failed becaus eno one wanted it.

Which brings us back to your previous point, the Switch isn't selling solely to Nintendo hardcore fans, nor was it ever really solely selling to them at any given point in time.

It's selling so well worldwide because people actually want the device, even people who never gamed on a Nintendo device before.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
It needs to be remembered that 3DS was also problematic for Nintendo.
They were forced to cut the price early on to salvage it and despite the shock move 3DS had disappointing performance outside Japan.

Oh boy the last two pages have some head scratching posts :-)

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Thread Derailment Over Multiple Posts; Accumulated Infractions
i do apologize. not trying to make myself the focus of this thread, but i will NOT let attempts at sullying my honor go unnoticed

You're not trolling, eh?

I guess you forgot that you used to start arguments with people to try and convince them that Ultimate wasn't a brand new game.

two things:

1. you got a vendetta or something against me, pal?
2. so your big scoop is....linking to a post i made in a thread ALMOST TWO YEARS AGO, months BEFORE the game came out, where there was valid doubt and criticism regarding how much of a proper sequel SSBU was supposed to be (including by many in that very same thread)? THIS is what you think is the equivalent of uncovering the Pentagon Papers?

well, great work there, woodward.

god forbid that there may not be any maliciousness or trollery involved here, and it may be, just MAY BE possible that some of us haven't followed the situation as closely as others

furthermore, i know you may not believe this, but i legitimately don't even remember half the posts i made in that thread. THAT'S how long it's been! i'm sure i may have posted in the occasional SSBU news thread since then, but i hadn't followed development closely at all compared to previous games. i'm not even sure if i ever even posted in the official SSBU thread (again, i totally may have here and there, but if i did, it's so rare that it doesn't even register).

also, too. i don't even know what you think i'm trying to accomplish with this alleged "trolling". do you think i have a grudge or some kind of agenda with SSBU? because any issues i have with SSBU were a thousand fold with SSBB. yet no one ever accused me of "trolling" brawl. curious, isn't it? :thinkingemoji:

but even the thread you linked to is great because just like here, people were intentionally (or unintentionally) taking the worst interpretation of my posts, claiming i was calling the game a port (never once did). guess some things never change.

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii U was a failure, mainly by Nintendo standards. As a pusher of software especially on the top end it dwarfs other failures like the Saturn, Dreamcast, and Vita.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Hah. At least someone does.

Seriously though, simply making a portable system doesn't guarantee success. Switch is its own thing and I certainly want the PS5 to be a powerful new home console, not a portable that isn't going to move tech foward.

It's not about doing one simple trick (doctors HATE it) to guarantee success, though. Obviously, any version of the PS5 would need appealing games to be an appealing purchase. It's about designing the hardware to fit the ways people want to play so as to be as appealing to the larger market over the next decade as possible.

It's not really just about what you or I might want. I'm excited for the PS5 that we're actually getting, for what it is. But we're tech enthusiasts. We're a very small segment of the overall market (and we'd probably buy the PS5, no matter what form it took). I think for a lot of buyers, "PS4-level graphics but portable" would be a more appealing value proposition for a console than "slightly prettier PS4 graphics." The graphical distinctions between generations are increasingly subtle and most people aren't counting pixels or frames or watching Digital Foundry videos; they just want to play the games they want the way they want, and if that no longer means only in front of a TV, all the better.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I don't think making the system a hybrid would lead to a collapse in player interest worldwide.

People keep treating the Switch like it's going to be some sort of aberration or only-Nintendo thing, but I don't think it is. I think it's the shape of consoles to come. Everyone playing a Switch is being trained to expect game consoles to be portable. That includes a lot of young people, who I'm not sure will be eager to become tethered to their TV for their gaming in the future.

The story of technology is that of "good enough" convenient technology winning out of technically superior but less convenient technology.

It's also worth noting that "big sales WW" for the PS4-but-slightly-prettier PS5 aren't at all guaranteed. I think there's a chance we might look back at this time as Sony misreading the market.
Sony would be crazy to do this especially with streaming. Why make a weaker hybrid when you can make a powerful beast but also the ability to stream to portable devices. If they make a ps5 portable it will be a really cheap consol, basically a high quality screen with buttons capable of steaming PlayStation now.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Sony would be crazy to do this especially with streaming. Why make a weaker hybrid when you can make a powerful beast but also the ability to stream to portable devices. If they make a ps5 portable it will be a really cheap consol, basically a high quality screen with buttons capable of steaming PlayStation now.

If we're assuming that streaming is the future, then a high-powered home console makes even less sense than a portable one. Home is where you're most likely to have a reliable, stream-capable internet connection, not the train.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
So about that possibility of Animal Crossing New Horizon having a shipment of 7mil by end of the quarter..... :(

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
MH has really shown its strength as a brand this generation. The PS4 will be lucky to sell 10 million pieces of HW but MHW has still managed to sell really well (it must be close to double any other release on the PS4).

The vanilla version is already more than double the next highest release DQXI if you count digital. Master Edition makes it triple. It's on nearly half the PS4s in the country which is madness.

PlayStation 5 really should have been PlayStation Go, at least as far as Japan is concerned.

With a more positive name than PlayStation Death it could be go over well.

They just need to price it right and come out strong out of the gate with game announcements.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Ah, gotcha. Yeah with 4 mil easy in Japan it'll easily eclipse that in the quarterly report.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Nooooo I mean close to 7mil by end of this quarter (end of june). 4mil is too easy at this point :p

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
1. you got a vendetta or something against me, pal?

I don't know who you are.

But because it was very obvious that you were trolling, I spent about 30 seconds of my life searching "smash" because, again, it was obvious.

2. so your big scoop is....linking to a post i made in a thread ALMOST TWO YEARS AGO, months BEFORE the game came out, where there was valid doubt and criticism regarding how much of a proper sequel SSBU was supposed to be (including by many in that very same thread)? THIS is what you think is the equivalent of uncovering the Pentagon Papers?

well, great work there, woodward.

god forbid that there may not be any maliciousness or trollery involved here, and it may be, just MAY BE possible that some of us haven't followed the situation as closely as others

furthermore, i know you may not believe this, but i legitimately don't even remember half the posts i made in that thread. THAT'S how long it's been! i'm sure i may have posted in the occasional SSBU news thread since then, but i hadn't followed development closely at all compared to previous games. i'm not even sure if i ever even posted in the official SSBU thread (again, i totally may have here and there, but if i did, it's so rare that it doesn't even register).

also, too. i don't even know what you think i'm trying to accomplish with this alleged "trolling". do you think i have a grudge or some kind of agenda with SSBU? because any issues i have with SSBU were a thousand fold with SSBB. yet no one ever accused me of "trolling" brawl. curious, isn't it? :thinkingemoji:

but even the thread you linked to is great because just like here, people were intentionally (or unintentionally) taking the worst interpretation of my posts, claiming i was calling the game a port (never once did). guess some things never change.

You were trolling. You know very well that Ultimate was not an "expansion" as you claimed in this thread.

Why even lie like this lmao

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Nooooo I mean close to 7mil by end of this quarter (end of june). 4mil is too easy at this point :p
Ah, 7 mil in Japan by end of June. That's definitely more adventurous than 7 mil in the world by end of March. My bad for misunderstanding.

We should be getting end of fiscal year reports soon, right?

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who you are.

well there's your problem, buddy. if you did, you would have known not to make such a rookie mistake

But because it was very obvious that you were trolling, I spent about 30 seconds of my life searching "smash" because, again, it was obvious.

so you don't know who i am, but were confident i was trolling and went through my posting history (again, having to go back as far as TWO YEARS to find anything remotely incriminating) to prove it. i dunno, man. maybe this is a normal thing for you, but i personally find that a bit excessive.

You were trolling. You know very well that Ultimate was not an "expansion" as you claimed in this thread.

Why even lie like this lmao

you keep saying this, but you didn't address any of the other points i made in that post.

you know, this whole situation could have been avoided if instead of jumping for my throat like a pack of ravenous hyenas, you guys just calmly said "actually oblivion, SSBU is not an expansion pack and here are the reasons why". was that really so hard?

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
People don't remember "Oblivious" from G*F? Used to have a Iwata avatar I think. Always trolling.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
If we're assuming that streaming is the future, then a high-powered home console makes even less sense than a portable one. Home is where you're most likely to have a reliable, stream-capable internet connection, not the train.
The difference is Sony have the ability to sell far more home consoles then portables. So they'll focus on a home console and streaming which should evolve into steaming to portable devices like phones or tablets or a PlayStation portable streaming device. Their strategy makes far more sense then a portable PS around the power of the switch.

Portable is Nintendos turf and powerful dedicated home consoles are Sonys. I can't see either challenging each other as they're both going so well currently.
Actually it got those games before or shortly after it launched. Console sales had little to do with it in retrospect, it was future expectations and deal making.
They made those games for the ps4 with the expectations it would be the most likely console to get sales on WW. That's why the ps4 was the priority.