• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meriadock

Apr 21, 2018
Brazil
I understand the hardware situation. But software? Maybe these ps+ games are helping but... Dude.. 500k consoles and you can't sell 10k of a game?

I don't understand what's happening with PS5.

Oh, and BTW no Story Of Seasons and Bravely Default :(

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Great numbers by all platforms, especially Switch since (on top of being #1 as always) they didn't seem to shrink the supply all that much considering the demand that is expected for next week. I think Q12021 is absolutely feasible heck I predicted 317k so if I were correct the gap would grow in favour of 2021. This is where the real challenge begins for Team2021, having to face off months of Animal Crossing legs will be brutal, but we have something 2020 didn't: a Pokémon game.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
PS5 sales will reach their limit with the 5-6 millions. You can't hemorrhage your small-mid tier game makers when none of your I.P.s are evergreens at home. There is no one left to fill in the year(s) long gaps between big games.

PlayStation leadership seems to think indie games can carry the weight by themselves. Fall Guys, Among Us, Minecraft, PUBG and Rocket League are great examples of indies blowing up so they have good reason to bet on that. Treat those digital online games as "television" and AAA games as "box office cinema" with your occasional critically acclaimed indies as your "independent film festival standouts".

They have the worldwide audience to make that strategy work and the Japanese companies that adapt to that market will succeed. But if you are a traditional company that relies on annual releases of boxed sales PlayStation is a dead end.

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario 3D World Wii U vs Switch

Famitsu Sales: Week 12, 2021 (Mar 15 - Mar 21)
01./01. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury <ACT> (Nintendo) {2021.02.12} (¥5.980) - 37.396 / 555.517 (-10%)

Famitsu Sales: Week 52, 2013 (Dec 23 - Dec 29) [Week 6]
08./07. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985) - 71.159 / 410.041 <60-80%> (-23%)

Famitsu Sales: Week 8, 2014 (Feb 17 - Feb 23) [Week 14, Last appearance on the weekly sales charts]
29./18. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985) - 4.614 / 530.416 <80-100%> (-12%)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Now that I think about it, why is "bomba" negative??
Like something bombed: "It exploded and disrupted the sales charts"
I suspect it's more that bombs dropped from aircraft descend, like a failed media product sinking quickly down a sales chart before 'destruction'. Perhaps related to 'sales falling off a cliff' where the analogy is something swiftly plummeting to its destruction! If anyone has a better origin story I'd love to hear it :D

Last edited:

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
I feel like the PS5 software critiques are making a mountain out of a molehill. Demon's Souls and Spiderman MM seem to be the two games that correlate to higher PS5 hardware sales and higher software sales in Japan and the world over...which is what you want to see. If PS5 are hard to come by, why would retailers have mounds of PS5 games on shelves? Where I live, Gamestops, Targets, Best Buys, Walmarts etc have very meniscal PS5 (and Xbox Series) sections for games, they are almost nonexistent. I going to take a leap of faith and say its the same in Europe and Japan as well. We're missing PS5 digital for disc and DE owners, so taking the ~40k sales for both is trivial, we don't know the real number. You have many PS4 games that get free (or small fee) updates for PS5 and with a PS5 and PS+, you get 20 games for free. RE8 will be a good first test. Could Sony have launched with better software support, sure, but lets not pretend that people have nothing to play, its harder to capture the data with just retail sales.

The Verge has the current lineup for PS5 and Xbox Series games for this year, what game would chart, consistently, in Japan? Even a game like Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy didn't last long on both PS4 and Switch.

PS5 & XBOX SERIES X/S 2021 RELEASE SCHEDULE
GameRelease DateXbox Series or PS5?Cross-gen?PC?
MXGP 202001/14/2021PS5 onlyNo, PS5 exclusiveNo
Hitman 301/20/2021BothFree upgrade from digitalYes
Ride 401/21/2021BothNoNo
Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy01/26/2021PS5No, PS5 exclusiveYes
Cyber Shadow01/26/2021PS5 onlyNo, PS5 exclusiveYes
The Medium01/28/2021Xbox onlyNoYes
The Pedestrian01/29/2021PS5 onlyNo, PS5 exclusiveYes
Control: Ultimate Edition02/02/2021BothYes, upgrade only with Ultimate EditionYes
Destruction AllStars02/02/2021PS5 onlyNo, PS5 exclusiveNo
Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood02/04/2021BothYesYes
Nioh Remastered - The Complete Edition02/05/2021PS5 onlyNo, PS5 exclusiveNo
Nioh 2 Renastered - The Complete Edition02/05/2021PS5 onlyNo, PS5 exclusiveNo
Little Nightmares 202/11/2021BothYesYes
Yakuza: Like a Dragon03/02/2021 (PS5)Available now on Xbox, PS5 on 03/02/2021YesYes
Monster Energy Supercross: The Official Video Game 403/11/2021BothYesYes
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time03/12/2021BothYes, free upgradeYes
Samurai Spirits (aka Samurai Shodown)03/16/2021Xbox onlyYesYes
Marvel's Avengers03/18/2021BothYes, free upgradeYes
Balan Wonderland03/26/2021BothYesYes
It Takes Two03/26/2021BothYesYes
Terminator: Resistance03/26/2021PS5 onlyYesYes
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 203/26/2021BothFree upgrade with Cross-Gen Digital Deluxe EditionYes
Disco Elysium: The Final Cut03/30/2021PS5 on 03/031/2021; Xbox TBDYesYes

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What? What Problem? Did you follow the discussion at all or did you decide to jump on me based on the last post lol?

Sounds like you have a problem with people blaming Sony.

It's easy to say "It's Sonys fault for providing not enough Stock", when in reality it's just the WW demand being far too high.

Maybe problem is a strong word, but that's semantics. I'm just saying the fact that the console is in heavy demand WW, which is true and of course helps contextualise the Japanese situation, doesn't mean the Japanese situation can't be described as poor (for HW) or even abysmal (for SW). Moreover, the console is breaking sales records in other territories in spite of the unprecedented WW demand.

So yeah, people who say "It's Sonys fault for providing not enough Stock" maybe have a point, even though there are other much more relevant (and worrisome) factors shaping the PS situation in Japan right now, which have also been discussed in depth in these threads.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the PS5 software critiques are making a mountain out of a molehill. Demon's Souls and Spiderman MM seem to be the two games that correlate to higher PS5 hardware sales and higher software sales in Japan and the world over...which is what you want to see. If PS5 are hard to come by, why would retailers have mounds of PS5 games on shelves? Where I live, Gamestops, Targets, Best Buys, Walmarts etc have very meniscal PS5 (and Xbox Series) sections for games, they are almost nonexistent. I going to take a leap of faith and say its the same in Europe and Japan as well. We're missing PS5 digital for disc and DE owners, so taking the ~40k sales for both is trivial, we don't know the real number. You have many PS4 games that get free (or small fee) updates for PS5 and with a PS5 and PS+, you get 20 games for free. RE8 will be a good first test. Could Sony have launched with better software support, sure, but lets not pretend that people have nothing to play, its harder to capture the data with just retail sales.

The Verge has the current lineup for PS5 and Xbox Series games for this year, what game would chart, consistently, in Japan? Even a game like Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy didn't last long on both PS4 and Switch.

The sellthrough data we got for Demon's Souls and Spider-man MM indicated that (at least at launch) there was a lot of games stuck at retailers.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Except with the higher hardware sales we've seen last week, both games barely broke into the top 30. That is not correlating high hardware to high software sales.

Demon's Souls is still at 60-80% sellthrough.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The retail shelf space of new platforms is always small. No one is talking about how filled or bare the shelves are. They are saying the actual software numbers look bad. But the software is so fucking bad that I feel like there has to be engagement metrics we are missing.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The term "bomb" for anything that has been underperforming big time is common in Media Create threads for almost 20 years. I don't think I saw it used elsewhere so widespread with this meaning before.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Just my first impression as an outsider looking in. Just seemed like a lot of NSW fans having a lot of fun together.
Leaked footage of Chris and his friends every Thursday.

jZ71pCIwasBDW.gif

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The retail shelf space of new platforms is always small. No one is talking about how filled or bare the shelves are. They are saying the actual software numbers look bad. But the software is so fucking bad that I feel like there has to be engagement metrics we are missing.
What is the percentage of digital only PS5? I'm going to guess that the userbase is so small that it represents the most enthousiastic PS fans and I'm guessing they're very digital heave too. This will change overtime though but that is my guess. I agree that the numbers are too bad to be true.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I still think not insignificant number of PS5 consoles from Japan probably get exported out to the rest of Asia (or China). Would explain the lack of physical softwares sales a bit, cos they can just get english version lol

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The term "bomb" for anything that has been underperforming big time is common in Media Create threads for almost 20 years. I don't think I saw it used elsewhere so widespread with this meaning before.

The term "bomb" to describe failure has been used for decades and decades in North America in situations as plain as a student saying "I bombed that test". Like naw, this is not a Media Create thing. Like not even close.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
it comes from the film industry, at least in american usage. Box office bombs are a term that goes back many decades in the broader culture.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Great numbers by all platforms, especially Switch since (on top of being #1 as always) they didn't seem to shrink the supply all that much considering the demand that is expected for next week. I think Q12021 is absolutely feasible heck I predicted 317k so if I were correct the gap would grow in favour of 2021. This is where the real challenge begins for Team2021, having to face off months of Animal Crossing legs will be brutal, but we have something 2020 didn't: a Pokémon game.

Q1 was the real challenge, in fact it was the hardest quarter to fight against and depending on next week we shall see what position it will go into Q2

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Good week for Switch, i'm sure they have a big amount of stock for next week. Def not AC high but 200k+ should be a lock

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing Fellow Member
The sellthrough data we got for Demon's Souls and Spider-man MM indicated that (at least at launch) there was a lot of games stuck at retailers.

Thank you. I was about to say this.

I mean no disrespect, but RPGamer2 , you have the honour of being the worst poster I've (ever?) seen in these threads, and that's no small feat at all. You continuously chose to ignore the rich data provided in these threads so that you can keep twisting arguments, or even worse, posting passive-aggressive victim complex messages which divert from reality. I'm no mod, but I feel like I have to ask you to stop it, please.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I think the thing is unless it's specifically a massively increased digital ratio it's little solace to publishers. If consumers are using backwards compatibility, PS Plus Collection, F2P games that's fine for engagement with the platform(& for Sony) but if you're a publisher trying to release a premium priced game it makes no real difference.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Sell Thru by quarter......

Q# 2020 — 2019 — 2018 — 2017

Q1: 1703k — 954k — 684k — 565k

Q2: 964k .—. 531k — 484k — 476k

Q3: 1287k - 1035k — 595k — 767k

Q4: 2003k - 1975k - 1720k - 1673k

Tot: 5957k - 4494k - 3482k - 3407k

2021 will be at a good start, and next quarter is where 2021 will need to build a lead leading into H2.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I mean no disrespect. . .

Then dont do this shit. Like is this really necessary? Like come on, this is just taking a shitty shot. Lets not.

I think the thing is unless it's specifically a massively increased digital ratio it's little solace to publishers. If consumers are using backwards compatibility, PS Plus Collection, F2P games that's fine for engagement with the platform(& for Sony) but if you're a publisher trying to release a premium priced game it makes no real difference.

The amount of PS5 only software worldwide can be counted on 1 hand. So I dont really feel like publishers are worried right now. In 2 years when PS4 dies off I would be more willing to have this discussion.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Then dont do this shit. Like is this really necessary? Like come on, this is just taking a shitty shot. Lets not.

The amount of PS5 only software worldwide can be counted on 1 hand. So I dont really feel like publishers are worried right now. In 2 years when PS4 dies off I would be more willing to have this discussion.
Thing is, in Japan, where this thread is based on, PS4 games aren´t charting at all.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe another platform for Kuro no Kiseki?😉

Next up on Stadia: Four beloved JRPGs coming soon

If you love JRPGs, you’ll be stoked to hear that these fan favorites are coming to Stadia. Packed with incredible lore, expansive worldbuilding, and addicting gameplay, the possibilities are limitless in immersing yourself in these games with the flexibility of Stadia. Whether you’re a veteran...

Sure, especially when you take backwards compatibility into account but then PS4 software sales haven't exactly been red hot either. It's not like we're seeing Miles Morales PS4 doing the numbers in Japan.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It really is. The "contributions" by this person keep getting more and more toxic to the point where they keep passively-aggressively attacking all of us who don't share their views, no matter what data and context indicate. I rather ask them to please stop it before reporting them.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
It really is. The "contributions" by this person keep getting more and more toxic to the point where they keep passively-aggressively attacking all of us who don't share their views, no matter what data and context indicate. I rather ask them to please stop it before reporting them.
If you think he´s being the way that you´re saying, just report him.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Bomb has been used in terms of box office sales figures since at least 1980, and that's from ten seconds of Google searching.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Use your report button more. No one has to "fix their behabviour" for you or anyone in the thread.

And frankly you're no one to talk about toxicity when you just called someone the worst poster in the thread ever. You're mad at beung passive aggressively attacked so you go for the plain direct attack approach.

This shit is weak. It is not hard to ignore someone if you do not like them.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The term "bomb" to describe failure has been used for decades and decades in North America in situations as plain as a student saying "I bombed that test". Like naw, this is not a Media Create thing. Like not even close.
And when it comes to game sales how old it is because I don't remember reading "this game bombed" at 90's.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Use your report button more. No one has to "fix their behabviour" for you or anyone in the thread.

And frankly you're no one to talk about toxicity when you just called someone the worst poster in the thread ever. You're mad at beung passive aggressively attacked so you go for the plain direct attack approach.

This shit is weak. It is not hard to ignore someone if you do not like them.

There is even a button for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Is funny how nintendo revived Momotaro Dentetsu by licensing the IP and having the Devil's Third studio out of everyone make a game for 3DS and now they are cashing in with the next game doing over 2 million in Japan. I guess the 3DS game did well enough for Konami to make a new one themselves.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Looks like Jack Jeanne isn't an Utapri-level smash success, but at least it's better than Kamiaso. Also who knows, maybe there will be a Jack Jeanne: Repeat in a year or 2 due to fan demand that will skyrocket as Utapri did.