• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This comes shortly after Famitsu became the Superior Tracker of the Kingdom Hearts series with Dengeki becoming the Better Tracker (2nd place) and obviously MC is simply Tracker, which is last place. No wonder they are doing this now.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Too bad, always something I looked forward to. Curious how the available information about Japanese sales data will evolve in the future.

OP
OP
duckroll

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
What if we create a dummy account that would share those numbers anonymously on the forum <.<
If they want to find a leak, they can manipulate numbers for suspected subscriptions pretty easily. As long as the numbers shared are visible to everyone, you will face this problem. That's why all leaks eventually dry up. When it's just a few people discussing numbers without being able to share in a larger context with a forum, it's way less interesting and the novelty of having exclusive numbers no one else does wears off.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
It will tell us that the the game wasnt even able to sell more than 10k or whatever during its launch week.
These are the game people shitted and laughed on anyways for them most part.

It would be a bigger issue if Famitsu would follow suit as well - but as of now....the biggest and most important releases will be still part of the MC Top 10...bombs and games complety under performing will be missing, but we usually rely on shipment data.

The evergreen Nintendo games sell well - but not well enough to keep somewhat important releases outside of the Top 10.

Though this might change for the 2nd half of the year.

I agree - more data is always better and Top 20 would be much better.
But lets be honest - sales drop quite a bit after the Top 10 and every release the majority is looking forward will likely make it into the top 10.

You are worried about the Top 10 being a Nintendo only thing ? Lets be honest after this summer the Top 20 will be most likely Nintendo dominated as well. The big PS4 releases usually have their nice first week...but drop of fast after that with short legs.
I think you missed this part:
From April, we will change the disclosing policy of weekly sales ranking into top 10 software ranking without sales number.
Without numbers, first place can be 1 million, 200k, 100k, 20k, 10k, whatever. Knowing the top 10 would be almost meaningless (I am assuming Famitsu and co will follow suite).

Last edited:

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
So there it is, end of an era.
Goodbye weekly MC sales thread, hello weekly Famitsu sales thread!

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
Media Create after all these years bro?

I feel betrayed my Wednesdays are going to be so different

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think you missed this part:

Without numbers, first place can be 1 million, 200k, 100k, 20k, 10k, whatever. Knowing the top 10 would be almost meaningless (I am assuming Famitsu and co will follow suite).
Which is why we will move to Famitsu.
But you cant say that the Top 10 are meaningless without numbers...but adding the Top 20 without numbers will be much more interesting ? We know how much they games outside the Top 10 sell per week in this market.

Thats pretty much the result of mismatch in the japanese console industry for the last couple years - unless you are Nintendo and a handful of experiences those weekly numbers arent a good look for you. This Feb/March were another reminder, with the system selling like Switch missing pretty much every big 3rdParty release and still selling on auto mode.

If you dont release your best content on the system selling by far the most every week - its difficult to create a momentum or have legs for your titles.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Media Create has expressly asked individuals not to make inquiries regarding subscriptions.

Maybe I should give them a call or e-mail one of these days to see what they have on offer. Since I run a Japanese video game music company, I would qualify assuming there are no other hidden requirements. However, I wouldn't be able to publicly share the data anyway, so I'm not sure how much help this would be to SalesERA.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Media Create has expressly asked individuals not to make inquiries regarding subscriptions.

Maybe I should give them a call or e-mail one of these days to see what they have on offer. Since I run a Japanese video game music company, I would qualify assuming there are no other hidden requirements. However, I wouldn't be able to publicly share the data anyway, so I'm not sure how much help this would be to SalesERA.
If you have no use for it, I don't think there's much you can do with it without potentially getting your subscription cancelled. I think even small hints like "over 10K" would make them cancel it.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New suggestion : we gather funds through a Kickstarter and buy 51% of the shares of Media Create and make them change their stance

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Time for us to make a super secret forum only for sales lol.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
If you have no use for it, I don't think there's much you can do with it without potentially getting your subscription cancelled. I think even small hints like "over 10K" would make them cancel it.

In the absence of other data (Famitsu, Dengeki), it would actually be very helpful to have since it helps me keep track of greater industry trends. Even if game music is niche, sales data still helps us make more informed decisions.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Whether this is due to publisher or pressure or an attempt to get more money surely famitsu and dengeki won't be far behind. Also I do wonder how much this will benefit hem financially with all the competition. The NPD are the only source of the data and can basically charge a lot for it. In Japan 2 other companies provide just as comprehensive data, why would companies pay for media create?

Hoping this isn't the beginning of the end of getting comprehensive public data. Media create threads are really one of the main reasons I still read this forum.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
It is 100% BS that this industry is so hell bent on hiding its own sales figures unlike other entertainment industries.
Which other entertainment industries except for the movie box office? Or any other industry for that matter.
Companies want to control 'the message' that goes publicly. It's in the nature of people actually, to show the positives and hide the negatives.

Also, these charts have value and are being made by people that should get paid for their work.
So maybe they'll show less publicly so they can sell more. (edit: or more likely, the industry is putting pressure on them)

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whether this is due to publisher or pressure or an attempt to get more money surely famitsu and dengeki won't be far behind.
To be fair, collecting and reporting data is Media Create's only business. Famitsu and Dengeki don't make most of their money through the sharing of game sales data. Maybe it would be better for them to just keep it free and get more mindshare for the things they actually mostly profit from.

Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking. But it's worth considering the different nature of these companies.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Whether this is due to publisher or pressure or an attempt to get more money surely famitsu and dengeki won't be far behind. Also I do wonder how much this will benefit hem financially with all the competition. The NPD are the only source of the data and can basically charge a lot for it. In Japan 2 other companies provide just as comprehensive data, why would companies pay for media create?

Hoping this isn't the beginning of the end of getting comprehensive public data. Media create threads are really one of the main reasons I still read this forum.

The difference between MC and the others is that MC is a much smaller company dedicated solely to sales data analysis. Famitsu (officially, Enterbrain) and Dengeki (officially ASCII Media Works) are propped up by a (the same) large parent corporation that offers a wide portfolio of businesses. If the other two see no express need or pressure from their existing shareholders to further monetize sales data, then they may very well keep the ship going for the foreseeable future.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very worried about the other two trackers. I don't see why MC would stop doing it but the other two act like nothing happened.

If we lose those numbers, damn. Decades of data just... stopping.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
To be fair, collecting and reporting data is Media Create's only business. Famitsu and Dengeki don't make most of their money through the sharing of game sales data. Maybe it would be better for them to just keep it free and get more mindshare for the things they actually mostly profit from.

Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking. But it's worth considering the different nature of these companies.

The difference between MC and the others is that MC is a much smaller company dedicated solely to sales data analysis. Famitsu (officially, Enterbrain) and Dengeki (officially ASCII Media Works) are propped up by a (the same) large parent corporation that offers a wide portfolio of businesses. If the other two see no express need or pressure from their existing shareholders to further monetize sales data, then they may very well keep the ship going for the foreseeable future.

That's interesting. Surely that makes media creates data barely worth paying for when you have 2 other companies providing the same service for free.

Whatever the case we'll still be getting data for the time being so I guess that's something. Hopefully that doesn't change.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
That's interesting. Surely that makes media creates data barely worth paying for when you have 2 other companies providing the same service for free.

Whatever the case we'll still be getting data for the time being so I guess that's something. Hopefully that doesn't change.

I always assumed that Media Create offered the advantage of releasing their data earlier than the others privately to subscribers. Their data gathering process must be automated to an extent. It'd be like the UK charts that come out on Mondays.

I assume that isn't going to change. I also assume that Famitsu's recent schedule changes have been made to remain competitive in this front.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017

If you are the smaller company, with only one focus and you take what you are best at out of the public eye, how does this help you?
The name Media Create meant something around here. Letting 2 bigger companies take your spot does not seem like the way to go. I would be hoping Famitsu and Degeki drop out too if I were Media Create. This is like Atari and Sega taking a back seat when they had so much mindshare in the industry. Oh they are still around in name but not as huge in the minds of fans.

Why do that to your brand?