• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 17, 2018
Downloaded and deleted off my SSD this morning. Tried it with an i7 9750 and 2070.

It ran OK but it dropped frames quite heavily on a couple of MP maps. Performance wasn't good enough in my opinion and I don't really feel that the performance issues were justifiable, considering the graphics.

Single player is just odd. The first of 54 scenes requires you to pick up and shoot a pistol once, mission complete. This kind of bite size approach to me just means more loading and less playing.

Multiplayer feels really basic and is a very shallow experience. I only played a couple of games but it feels like a game that would have released 15 years ago. There is absolutely zero progression too.

I paid £45 but would have been disappointed if I had paid £25. Give this one a miss!

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Can we also acknowledge the biggest design flaw of this game here?
The M1 Garand ping is so quiet you can barely hear it! I refuse to believe Respawn doesn't know how M1 ping should sound in a WWII game.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the impressions, everyone! I'll hold off on this until there is either a very, very deep discount, or the game gets heavily patched and fixed.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I am so sad in how this turned out. I had such high hopes for it.

It is another Underworld Ascendant situation. Years of giddy excitement and anticipation that culminated in crushing disappointment.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Installed, played for 45 minutes, hated it. Thank god for Steam's refund policy. Absolutely nothing about the game is worth $60 and with 5 multiplayer modes, the MP was dead on arrival.

Jun 17, 2018
Can we also acknowledge the biggest design flaw of this game here?
The M1 Garand ping is so quiet you can barely hear it! I refuse to believe Respawn doesn't know how M1 ping should sound in a WWII game.

Funny you should say this, I was having the same conversation with my dad about 20 minutes ago. I tried it a bunch of times and even with headphones I could barely hear it.

Definitely one of the most disappointing games I've played in recent memory.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Such a shame. I thought AAA VR experiences may have been turning a corner after HL: Alyx, but looking on the horizon, there's very little to be excited about, and the focus has shifted to what will run on a mobile VR headset.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Dang. I don't have a VR setup, but I was hoping this would be a big enough boost to bring MoH back from the dead.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I should skip this if I'm looking for a fun singleplayer VR FPS campaign?

Based off impressions, yes, skip it

Disappointing that MoH turned out this way, and I'm not going to reward this type of effort (bite sized levels, no settings, etc.)

Given everything said in this thread, this is a bizarre take

I wish you had VR as well, and I especially wish when you do get VR you play HL: Alyx, Beat Saber, Walking Dead Saints and Sinners and Lone Echo... and never play this game.

I'll have to check that out, my father is into The Walking Dead/Zombie franchise.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Based off impressions, yes, skip it

Disappointing that MoH turned out this way, and I'm not going to reward this type of effort (bite sized levels, no settings, etc.)

I'll have to check that out, my father is into The Walking Dead/Zombie franchise.

Walking Dead Saints and Sinners (don't get Onslaught, it is awful) is the best VR game just under Alyx.

It plays like Dishonored or Prey, definite Arkane vibes.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
So I should skip this if I'm looking for a fun singleplayer VR FPS campaign?

Try it only if you like standing around to look at 2 mins loading screens in between 1 minute cutscenes. And I'm running it on a m.2 drive in a i9 machine.

It's almost funny how the star wars game on oculus quest has larger levels than this game.

Oct 30, 2017
The grenade throwing is almost broken on Valve Index. Sometimes it leaves your hand into a throw, sometimes it gets sucked back into your chest like it wants to holster and falls right next to you. The hands on the gun also obscure your view. It does not feel like Index controllers were really considered at all. some of the guns require you to hold them at strange angles with the index. The sawed off is the most drastic.

Also, to all who are curious, it works just fine with a Natural Locomotion custom profile. I can walk with my arms perfectly.

I have not seen any graphical problems, though. I have a 3080 and a Ryzen 5 3600 with 16GB of ram, for reference.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The grenade throwing is almost broken on Valve Index. Sometimes it leaves your hand into a throw, sometimes it gets sucked back into your chest like it wants to holster and falls right next to you. The hands on the gun also obscure your view. It does not feel like Index controllers were really considered at all. some of the guns require you to hold them at strange angles with the index. The sawed off is the most drastic.

Also, to all who are curious, it works just fine with a Natural Locomotion custom profile. I can walk with my arms perfectly.

I have not seen any graphical problems, though. I have a 3080 and a Ryzen 5 3600 with 16GB of ram, for reference.

The grenade throwing barely works with the Touches either unfortunately.

If you try to switch the grenade to your other hand, 75% of the time it will pull the pin.

And the throwing distance seems completely arbitrary no matter how much or little you move your arm before release.

I blew myself up twice just at the shooting range trying to use them.

Which made me remember another awful aspect of the game's design- if your health is low, there is a constant pulsing red border around your vision that will sort through random objects around you that causes sorting and stereo fighting issues. It's nauseating.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
i7-8700K overclocked to 4.7GHz, RTX 3080, 32GB DDR4-3000 RAM, SSD... and this game still stutters at default settings on Valve Index + SteamVR version. woof.

EDIT: I'm talking to the game's PR group to see what advice, if any, they have for optimization. anything I learn/test will be up at Ars Technica next week. (I'm on vacation still but couldn't help myself to test this out real quick.)

Last edited:

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
From all these impressions, I wonder why they didn't just cancel this. Bummer, I was really looking to it.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I have this on my Steam list, but I guess I'm not even going to bother.

I have an 6700K and 1080Ti. Without any video options, I don't stand a chance with this. God... this franchise deserved so much better than this.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Glad I opted out at the price tag and drive space then.

Disappointing to hear. Hope it gets patched.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
If you still wanna play this, there may be a way to get better performance by editing the values in GameUserSettings.ini. There's a bunch of quality settings. EU4 games are like this, with 4 being the highest, 0 being the lowest and everything in this game set to 3 by default. You'll have to disable dynamic resolution and set it to one of the static options to keep the changes. So you can set it to high, then go into the config ini and edit the resolution manually to your preferred percentage.
I haven't tested this myself however, saw on reddit but it seems to be the only way to gain perfornance out of this because they didn't bother putting these settings into the game.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
If you still wanna play this, there may be a way to get better performance by editing the values in GameUserSettings.ini. There's a bunch of quality settings. EU4 games are like this, with 4 being the highest, 0 being the lowest and everything in this game set to 3 by default. You'll have to disable dynamic resolution and set it to one of the static options to keep the changes. So you can set it to high, then go into the config ini and edit the resolution manually to your preferred percentage.
I haven't tested this myself however, saw on reddit but it seems to be the only way to gain perfornance out of this because they didn't bother putting these settings into the game.

If I read the same reddit thread, didn't it say that doing this introduced a lot of graphical artifacts and other weird stuff?

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
From all these impressions, I wonder why they didn't just cancel this. Bummer, I was really looking to it.
No idea why they launched it now, literally a day after one of the biggest releases of the year. Really seems like they just sent it out to die because there's no reason they couldn't have worked on it for 6 more months and released it some other time.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I refunded. I tried to be understanding but that holster system was somehow worse than Dead Effect 2. When bodies fall around you, you randomly pick up their discarded weapons while you are holding the grip of your weapon. Also, you accidentally pull out grenades from your chest holder since they are stored front and center. Also, It does that thing that some cheap games do where your non-dominant hand will grab the front of the gun, even when your hand is nowhere near the front of the gun, and twist the gun around.

I can't believe the problems that this game had when Warhammer: Battle Sister can release on Quest at $29.99 and have 0 problems with any of this.

I am so glad that I do not have to worry about data caps. Total waste.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Would be fascinated to see the refund rate on this, must be nothing other than a disaster. So sad, the idea of a real MOH in vr sounded so cool.

And yes anyone refunding who need a good action/shooter type game in vr and didn't get WD:SS yet, do that. Would've been close to my goty if it didn't ship right around alyx.

Also Asgard's wrath is 50 percent off for once, which finally made me buy it. Also a large file size (80gb) and a lil hardware intensive but this game actually rules, lots of jaw drop moments in just the first few hours (and supposedly has 40+ hours of content)

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I refunded. I tried to be understanding but that holster system was somehow worse than Dead Effect 2. When bodies fall around you, you randomly pick up their discarded weapons while you are holding the grip of your weapon. Also, you accidentally pull out grenades from your chest holder since they are stored front and center. Also, It does that thing that some cheap games do where your non-dominant hand will grab the front of the gun, even when your hand is nowhere near the front of the gun, and twist the gun around.

I can't believe the problems that this game had when Warhammer: Battle Sister can release on Quest at $29.99 and have 0 problems with any of this.

I am so glad that I do not have to worry about data caps. Total waste.

Another absolute head scratcher is that your head has a collision box on it that collides with your shoulders. So if you tilt your head left or right, it actually locks your viewpoint as your head collision box intersects with the shoulder. A huge no no in VR design.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Finding it really strange that the reviews are so overwhelmingly negative on Steam but are broadly positive on the oculus store? :/

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
I don't have a VR nor I plan to get one, maybe I shouldn't even comment on this and I know this was probably a C maybe even D tier project at the studio but there is one more important point many people don't know about and that is the fact that many of the original giant names have left Respawn these past couple years and the ones that are still at the studio either working on Apex or other projects. All of the people I've seen from MoH videos up until this point was new to me never seen them before in Respawn's projects or way back in at Infinity Ward. People come and go in giant studios that's not my point, the thing is back in the day there was a studio culture, these guys were perfectionists hell they even made old ass Source engine sing and MoH's name is very near and dear to many old devs and resurrecting it as a Metascore 70 game is not a Respawn thing to do at all.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested to see if anyone has any late game impressions with regard to mission length, because from what I've played so far the biggest issue for me is the pacing and constant cuts. However if this is just an early game thing I would be more excited because when the game does let you off the hook I was having fun with it, as I find the guns and the look of the game to be really well done. I watched a bit further than I am on a preview stream and there did seem to be a longer action sequence, but I don't want to play too far myself and not be able to refund it if it ends up being mostly this through the whole thing. I just want some levels to actually move through and not just these small 3-5 minute vignettes.

Also the Victory screen as has been said by everyone is ridiculous lol, they've already said they're patching that out and adding smooth turning which is nice.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a VR nor I plan to get one, maybe I shouldn't even comment on this and I know this was probably a C maybe even D tier project at the studio but there is one more important point many people don't know about and that is the fact that many of the original giant names have left Respawn these past couple years and the ones that are still at the studio either working on Apex or other projects. All of the people I've seen from MoH videos up until this point was new to me never seen them before in Respawn's projects or way back in at Infinity Ward. People come and go in giant studios that's not my point, the thing is back in the day there was a studio culture, these guys were perfectionists hell they even made old ass Source engine sing and MoH's name is very near and dear to many old devs and resurrecting it as a Metascore 70 game is not a Respawn thing to do at all.
No one was expecting the A-Team from Respawn working on this. There are still some expectations when a studio like Respawn slaps their name on a product.
Just release the gallery section separately. I would pay good money for that. Virtual museums are really cool.
Don't worry, the game will be -75% on Steam in no time.