• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I am the 'joiner', does it kick me out between missions? It seems like i'll end up buying this game mostly to join my friend. I am at peace with not controlling the between-missions stuff, but would rather not have to keep accepting invites or whatever.

Nah, you co-exist in the hangar and just chill there looking at the mechs while the host handles everything else.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of ability to actually customize mechs in Mech5 is really hurting my enjoyment of the game. This is the most limited mechlab I've ever seen in any Mechwarrior I've played (and I started with 2). There's almost nothing you can really change up.
Yeah, it kinda sucks. You can't even put a large laser in an energy hardpoint because it's a, uh, "medium energy" slot?

I'm rolling Quickdraw, Discoback, Centurion, Assassin now. I have a Shadow Hawk, too, but most missions seem to be 200 tonnage max at my level.
For those that want more mech customization, it's a balancing limit, not an engine/game limitation. As some others have mentioned, the limits are to give different mech variants more value. PGI has said that it will be very easy for modders to remove the limits and let you go fully nuts with customizing your mech. They're trying to get the modding tools out before Christmas break (Dec 20 or so).

Chairdeath

Oct 29, 2017
As I've gotten further into the game, the only issue that sticks out to me for new players is in the early missions its just swarms of tanks for quite a few missions. Wish you moved on to more multi mech fights sooner. Once that starts happening its a huge step up in the fun to be had. The mission where you recruit your first new pilot is a stand out of standing around shooting done little helicopters for too long.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Really wanting to dive into this—it's been ages since I last played a true mech game—but not having a good setup for a HOTAS right now is kind of putting a damper on that desire, since I don't want half-ass it. I really need to buy a HOTAS desk mount or something similar...

corin7

Oct 27, 2017
Really wanting to dive into this—it's been ages since I last played a true mech game—but not having a good setup for a HOTAS right now is kind of putting a damper on that desire, since I don't want half-ass it. I really need to buy a HOTAS desk mount or something similar...

For what is worth I have a fairly decent HOTAS setup and haven't used it yet. Mouse and keyboard feel great.

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think any of the previous Mechwarrior games can compare to this game in terms...mech customization

This is intensely not true. The mechs haven't been this static since the original game.

It may have infinite randomly generated missions, but I'd honestly rather have the tailor made story missions from the earlier games, which is definitely this game's weakest point.

I like it, it's just been disappointing.

I might be wrong and I might've missed it when you're naming your merc group's new name, but I don't even think you can change your logo. Dang.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is intensely not true. The mechs haven't been this static since the original game.

It may have infinite randomly generated missions, but I'd honestly rather have the tailor made story missions from the earlier games, which is definitely this game's weakest point.

I might be wrong and I might've missed it when you're naming your merc group's new name, but I don't even think you can change your logo. Dang.

The game is definitely a rough gem, and I'm hoping between patching and modding it will eventually reach its potential.

I'm having a ton of fun with it meanwhile.

Oct 25, 2017
From someone that doesn't have the game yet, just a couple of questions;

Is there some form of controlling or giving orders to your lance / NPC members during missions?

Is there any real difficulty in missions, giving a sense of carefulness not to overextend and damage yourself, or is it relatively simple against AI?

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From someone that doesn't have the game yet, just a couple of questions;

Is there some form of controlling or giving orders to your lance / NPC members during missions?

Is there any real difficulty in missions, giving a sense of carefulness not to overextend and damage yourself, or is it relatively simple against AI?

Your lancemates will generally follow you in formation and you can order them to "Attack My Target", "Follow Me", "Go to Location" (under the reticle), and Free Weapons/Hold Fire Toggle. They can be ordered at once or individually.

Difficulty so far (about 5 hours in) is due to enemies swarming (many tanks, helicopters, planes, turrets and a few mechs). The enemies are not brilliant or a particular challenge individually at this point (though they all have Recruit AI level), but rushing in too quickly, or letting a pack sneak up behind you (where they like to spawn in, sometimes magically, sometimes from a dropship) unawares can leave you severely damaged or even kill your Mechwarriors. I've found both skirmishing along the periphery to whittle them away and fast hit and run tactics to both work, depending on your mission objective.

There's also co-op if you want a friend or three to hop in for your lancemates. Mission difficulty scales accordingly.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

It is intensely true. The amount of mech variants, different weapons (including half ammo and burst and stream modes of weapons), the visual change when weapons are changed, the adherence to the Battletech timeline in terms of research, and most of all, the paint options are out of this world.

Mech customization is simply not what weapons and equipment go on to a mech - it's so much more than that, as I just listed.

Also, it has tailor made story missions like the previous Mechwarriors, so the procedural mission system is just a cherry on top.

Remove dithering and other visual tweaks

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Wow, a Reddit user found a solution to improve the graphics and also lessens the awful dithering filter in the game. Here is their guide:

Step 1: Launch MW5, put all of the settings to maximum, save changes, and exit the game.

Step 2: Open the C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\MW5Mercs\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor folder

Step 3: Add the following text to the beginning of the GameUserSettings.ini file and save changes:

[ScalabilityGroups]
sg.ViewDistanceQuality=5
sg.AntiAliasingQuality=5
sg.ShadowQuality=5
sg.PostProcessQuality=5
sg.TextureQuality=5
sg.EffectsQuality=5
sg.FoliageQuality=5

Step 4:Add the following text to the Scalability.ini file (Should be empty) and save changes:

[ViewDistanceQuality@5]
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.001
r.MipMapLODBias=-15
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-1
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.BlurGBuffer=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=3
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.0
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=400
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=2
r.BloomQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=7
r.Upscale.Quality=3
r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=1
r.MaxAnisotropy=16
r.AmbientOcclusionMaxQuality=-100
r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=0
r.Streaming.PoolSize=4096
r.Streaming.MaxTempMemoryAllowed=256
r.SSR.Quality=3
r.MaxQualityMode=1
r.ShadowQuality=4
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=4
r.Shadow.SpotLightTransitionScale=4096
r.Shadow.TransitionScale=4096
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=8192
r.Shadow.MaxCSMResolution=8192
foliage.LODDistanceScale=100
r.PostProcessAAQuality=4

After implementing this change, I recommend disabling the Anti-aliasing though, it's still too vaseline.

Last edited:

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
It is intensely true. The amount of mech variants, different weapons (including half ammo and burst and stream modes of weapons), the visual change when weapons are changed, the adherence to the Battletech timeline in terms of research, and most of all, the paint options are out of this world.

Mech customization is simply not what weapons and equipment go on to a mech - it's so much more than that, as I just listed.

Also, it has tailor made story missions like the previous Mechwarriors, so the procedural mission system is just a cherry on top.
HBS Battletech has as many mech types (if not as many variants), more variety in its weapons, visual change when weapons are changed, and some degree of painting options. It also has far more flexibility in what you can adjust on a given mech. The "tailor-made story missions" so far are just different variations of the same five mission types, but remixed with the occasional quirk. Maybe they get more interesting later? I'm Rep 7 currently.

This game is good, but it's also extremely repetitive and limited outside of combat. And the spawns just get more obnoxious as you level and the tank and VTOL spam is replaced with light mech spam. Love mowing down a dozen different Locusts, Spiders, and Cicadas that instantly appear 200m behind me.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
HBS Battletech has as many mech types (if not as many variants), more variety in its weapons, visual change when weapons are changed, and some degree of painting options. It also has far more flexibility in what you can adjust on a given mech. The "tailor-made story missions" so far are just different variations of the same five mission types, but remixed with the occasional quirk. Maybe they get more interesting later? I'm Rep 7 currently.

This game is good, but it's also extremely repetitive and limited outside of combat. And the spawns just get more obnoxious as you level and the tank and VTOL spam is replaced with light mech spam. Love mowing down a dozen different Locusts, Spiders, and Cicadas that instantly appear 200m behind me.

We are talking about this game's place in the Mechwarrior series though? That's what the conversation was about

The spawn point thing is an obvious thing that needs fixing and the developers have already said they'll fix it after the Christmas break.

Jan 20, 2019
I've been looking forwards to this for a long, long time and am happy to see the game getting generally favorable reviews! Obviously there are problems but it seems like many are already in the works to be corrected, or will be over time as the game matures. A couple thoughts:
  • I was debating of getting a HOTAS and Flight Sim 2020, but I think this is gonna be the real instigator.
  • It's a shame that the story and lore are a bit weak, it's always been one of my favorite parts of Battletech...I spent so much time reading the holo archives in MW2.
  • Likewise with voice acting, though I remember thinking that MW4 had some cheesy acting at times, too.
  • Lack of PVP is a bummer, I was looking forwards to jumping in while the game was still kinda fresh. Is MWO still going and accessible for a new player?
  • I wonder what the plans are for DLC, then? With the story pausing at 3049, I wonder if we will get to play through the invasion...I know it's kinda like Hoth at this point, but it doesn't mean I don't wanna experience it again with better immersion!
Very stoked to hop back in a cockpit and blow up some mechs again. If VR is well implemented and patches fix and balance as we anticipate, this seems like it's going to be pretty epic (pun intended).

Chairdeath

Oct 29, 2017
I've been looking forwards to this for a long, long time and am happy to see the game getting generally favorable reviews! Obviously there are problems but it seems like many are already in the works to be corrected, or will be over time as the game matures. A couple thoughts:
  • Lack of PVP is a bummer, I was looking forwards to jumping in while the game was still kinda fresh. Is MWO still going and accessible for a new player?

I started up MWO a few weeks ago to get back in the swing of Mechs and never have a wait time for matches. It's fun and isn't too awful playing against the long term players. It is a WHOLE LOT thats kinda dropped on you as a brand new player systems wise but it isn't too bad to get up to speed if you are familiar with Mechwarrior in general. The money side of things is rather hard hitting but if you don't mind playing with the non customizable "starter mechs" that are free and can save you free currency to buy a Mech you know you will want to pilot it's a real fun time. The voice chat people are even mostly nice as well.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
It's early days, but anyone have a feel for how the balance is for the different mech weight classes?

I know that in-lore heavier is better, but something that I found regrettable about Battletech is how utterly worthless light and even medium mechs were by the end. The game might've had 40 mechs or whatever, but as you neared the finish you were really picking from a pool of 6 or 7 because the game had no weight constraints or legitimate uses for the light mechs. That's something I loved when I booted Roguetech up -- starting off with an Arctic Fox omnimech that had like 16 laser hardpoints that would warrant consideration against much heavier standard mech choices.

Does this game have anything like that, either in weight constraints, glorious light mech variants, or something else that makes your lance comp revolve around something other than bulking up as much as possible?

Chairdeath

Oct 29, 2017
It's early days, but anyone have a feel for how the balance is for the different mech weight classes?

I know that in-lore heavier is better, but something that I found regrettable about Battletech is how utterly worthless light and even medium mechs were by the end. The game might've had 40 mechs or whatever, but as you neared the finish you were really picking from a pool of 6 or 7 because the game had no weight constraints or legitimate uses for the light mechs. That's something I loved when I booted Roguetech up -- starting off with an Arctic Fox omnimech that had like 16 laser hardpoints that would warrant consideration against much heavier standard mech choices.

Does this game have anything like that, either in weight constraints, glorious light mech variants, or something else that makes your lance comp revolve around something other than bulking up as much as possible?

I'm still early in so take this with a heap of salt.

There are weight constraits for missions and so far for me light mechs serve the "get part damage in on a part fast and back out again" as well as finishing blows. And since you field a team getting a mix of styles and weights is pretty effective.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
We are talking about this game's place in the Mechwarrior series though? That's what the conversation was about

The spawn point thing is an obvious thing that needs fixing and the developers have already said they'll fix it after the Christmas break.
That's good to hear they're coming back and fixing things relatively quickly. I'll probably wait until after the next big patch hits before I pick the game up.

Sure does look like stompy good fun.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017

There are weight constraits for missions and so far for me light mechs serve the "get part damage in on a part fast and back out again" as well as finishing blows. And since you field a team getting a mix of styles and weights is pretty effective.
Okay great, thanks

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Really strange that an IP owned by microsoft is exclusive to the Epic store. Game looks damned good. Really impressed by what I'm seeing from such a small dev. Hope this is a revival with legs.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Very interested in this game but I think I'll try to wait for some patches maybe.

But damn the urge to blow the dust off my T-Flight and just get it now is strong!

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
I started up MWO a few weeks ago to get back in the swing of Mechs and never have a wait time for matches. It's fun and isn't too awful playing against the long term players. It is a WHOLE LOT thats kinda dropped on you as a brand new player systems wise but it isn't too bad to get up to speed if you are familiar with Mechwarrior in general. The money side of things is rather hard hitting but if you don't mind playing with the non customizable "starter mechs" that are free and can save you free currency to buy a Mech you know you will want to pilot it's a real fun time. The voice chat people are even mostly nice as well.

So as a brand new player MWO isn't awful? I'm really enjoying MW5 but it's missing that pvp goodness. Thinking playing both would scratch the itch until/if MW5 adds some pvp.

Chairdeath

Oct 29, 2017

As a follow up, with Co-op in late level hard missions fielding a team of different types seems like it'll be amazing.

So as a brand new player MWO isn't awful? I'm really enjoying MW5 but it's missing that pvp goodness. Thinking playing both would scratch the itch until/if MW5 adds some pvp.

The two major hurdles are getting the hang of the economy and it kinda drops all of it's systems in your lap pretty fast unless you want to read a whole lot. Once you get the hang actually playing it is still very fun as someone jumping in. Especially if you already have a chunk of Mechwarrior knowledge to start from. I could actually see MW5 being a great stepping stone to getting into MWO, they have a lot of similarities gameplay wise, except the customization of the Mechs is completely on you in MWO. Gotta manage all the heat/hardpoints/loadouts and equipment yourself.

I actually think them having some kind of merged launcher would be rad.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I don't want to get too much into the weeds of MWO in this MW5 thread, though to answer your question, MWO separates players into 5 skill tiers, and the match maker will only put players in +/- 2 tiers together. So, for the most part, new players are kept with new players by and large. In your first 25 matches, you'll get a bonus of 12.5 million C-bills, which is enough of a initial boost to buy any but the most expensive clan mechs. You'll also have your regular earnings during that time, which amount to 50-200k per match depending on your performance and whether your team wins or loses. Gameplay is similar to MW5, but everything is faster because engines are changeable, so speed ultra important.

There is an MWO thread, but it never had a lot of traction here and several of the people that used to post in it are banned or had their accounts deleted? Maybe it's time to reboot it.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
My performance in the game with a Ryzen 3800X and an RTX 2080 isn't super great. Have the game at 1440p with mostly maximum settings, but shadows and others at High. I get ~60fps, but dips down to 40ish in some spots. That doesn't feel like it should be happening.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
The two major hurdles are getting the hang of the economy and it kinda drops all of it's systems in your lap pretty fast unless you want to read a whole lot. Once you get the hang actually playing it is still very fun as someone jumping in. Especially if you already have a chunk of Mechwarrior knowledge to start from. I could actually see MW5 being a great stepping stone to getting into MWO, they have a lot of similarities gameplay wise, except the customization of the Mechs is completely on you in MWO. Gotta manage all the heat/hardpoints/loadouts and equipment yourself.

I actually think them having some kind of merged launcher would be rad.
I don't want to get too much into the weeds of MWO in this MW5 thread, though to answer your question, MWO separates players into 5 skill tiers, and the match maker will only put players in +/- 2 tiers together. So, for the most part, new players are kept with new players by and large. In your first 25 matches, you'll get a bonus of 12.5 million C-bills, which is enough of a initial boost to buy any but the most expensive clan mechs. You'll also have your regular earnings during that time, which amount to 50-200k per match depending on your performance and whether your team wins or loses. Gameplay is similar to MW5, but everything is faster because engines are changeable, so speed ultra important.

There is an MWO thread, but it never had a lot of traction here and several of the people that used to post in it are banned or had their accounts deleted? Maybe it's time to reboot it.

Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like the game is a good compliment to MW5 for my pvp itch which makes sense lol.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Does anyone have any suggestions for task switching? When I try to do so, it permanently shows me a warning screen (never seen that before, so at least it is both pointless and new :)?

ELm88F8XsAUe1tm

Chairdeath

Oct 29, 2017
I run into that when I window out and around sometimes. It usually goes back to normal if I hold the windows key to get the pop up of tabs and go back to it. It seems pretty temperamental about it though.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
One of the ingame loading screen tips lies. "Disarming an enemy of all his weapons will force the enemy pilot to eject." Many times I have turned an enemy mech into a torso with legs, destroying or disabling all weapons and still they run around like 'tis only a flesh wound.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the ingame loading screen tips lies. "Disarming an enemy of all his weapons will force the enemy pilot to eject." Many times I have turned an enemy mech into a torso with legs, destroying or disabling all weapons and still they run around like 'tis only a flesh wound.

They probably have valid torso-mounted weapons. In some cases they get stuck with something like an LRM so they don't punch out, but they can't get far enough away to fire, so they just sort of keep running around.

I'm also early, but lights are hella good at just running in and stomping on tanks and turrets.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
They probably have valid torso-mounted weapons. In some cases they get stuck with something like an LRM so they don't punch out, but they can't get far enough away to fire, so they just sort of keep running around.

All of their weapon systems are listed as red, indicating they are disabled, unless the game does that for LRMs within their minimum distance. If that is the case they need to change the color indicator for that specifically. It has happened with enemies that have no LRMs, though.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I had a hell of a time playing with the starting Javelin and jump jetting while firing the 4 medium lasers against vehicles and buildings all alone in the first missions. It was such a blast and incredibly cinematic, for some reason.

This game with more polish, more DLC, and tons of mods a year from now will be something beyond this world.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'm actually digging the soundtrack. Anyone else? it's much better than I expected. It's not the best, but it works as a dynamic texture to the stuff happening in the game.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
It's a very conscious throwback to MW2. I much prefer Jon Everest's BattleTech soundtrack, though.

I don't know, I don't think the symphonic orchestra would work as well in this more action-oriented, fast-paced type of game. But I definitely see the MW2: Mercs inspiration (except for the other more ambient parts of that soundtrack). Regardless, I think MW5's music works well.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am a huge BattleTech and MechWarrior fan so I am a bit bummed this is scoring so low.

I guess I will hold off buying for now and hope it can be improved over time.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I am a huge BattleTech and MechWarrior fan so I am a bit bummed this is scoring so low.

I guess I will hold off buying for now and hope it can be improved over time.

Considering the size of the studio and the fact that they've self-financed the whole project, I think what they have achieved in only 3 years of dev time is pretty remarkable. It's currently a rough diamond with some of the best mech combat and mech feel in the series, and with time (patches, mods, DLCs), I am pretty certain this game will be a stand-out gem. If you're a mechwarrior fan, there is nothing to be bummed about - this is a great scaffolding that they've built and already it's a very enjoyable game (albeit with rough edges here and there).

Just like the Battletech strategy game was released to scores in the high 70's and after patches and DLC became a really cohesive experience, so is MW5 released to high 70's score with the promise of more content to come (provided it sells enough).

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'm having so much fun switching between dropping 3 medium mechs in the 160 tons drop limit, then afterwards, switching them out for 4 light mechs in the next mission while the 3 mediums undergo repairs. It really mixes things up. Going from a Shadow Hawk to a Panther or Phoenix Hawk is really entertaining

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Do light mechs really get an advantage due to their speed? I have a difficult time visualising their on-paper advantages (mobility, maneuverability) in a real-time action game.

Status
Not open for further replies.