• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
No. There was a guy who broke embargo and posted the first couple missions of the campaign, but you get only the briefest glimpse of how it's going to work. It will have some fundamental similarities to HBS' Battletech in terms of negotiating contract details. It seems like you have, to start, one 'negotiation point' that you can put toward adjusting either your CBills payout, your salvage rights, or your damage insurance (which is a large sum of extra money specifically set aside for repairs). I imagine as you continue to play, you will have more flexibility.
Does salvage work the same as Harebrained Schemes' Battletech? Is this another dismemberment Pokemon game?!

Arcticfox

Oct 27, 2017
I still play the MechWarrior 2 games on my Windows 98 machine regularly. I understand why they went with EGS for the guarantee, but I wont be trying this out for a year. I wish the franchise was in a better place, but at least it is nice to see an attempt at a single player game in the series again.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Prerelease discussion for the game is as good a time as ever to repost this:

I lost my mind when I first saw this trailer. Hard to believe it has been over 10 years since it was shown.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Prerelease discussion for the game is as good a time as ever to repost this:

I lost my mind when I first saw this trailer. Hard to believe it has been over 10 years since it was shown.

I swear to god, I jumped out of my chair screaming and jumping around the room when this was announced. My GF and then dog (RIP :( thought I had gone completely crazy.

Man, what a dream that was back then...

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
great thread, Dancrane212 would you mind inserting the novellas that they released for free? They are a great read for those who would like to build the lore and characters around this game

Get the links here

https://mw5mercs.com/novellas

It's like those big manuals we read back in the 90's for PC big boxes. I strongly recommend reading these before firing up this game

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Annoyed by some of the technical problems like no 21:9 support, no rtx at launch, no mod editor at launch, but they have acknowledged that all three are being worked on at least. That said, the "beta" is a lot of fun despite the sometimes dumb ai. The building destruction and the feeling of bad assery when you have a city fight with building getting destroyed everywhere is awesome. Some of the most visually exciting mechwarrior gameplay ever. Very satisfying explosions and effects and they are really taking the best visual and gameplay aspects of the different mechwarrior games and smashing them into one. Feels very "by the fans for the fans"

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Annoyed by some of the technical problems like no 21:9 support, no rtx at launch, no mod editor at launch, but they have acknowledged that all three are being worked on at least. That said, the "beta" is a lot of fun despite the sometimes dumb ai. The building destruction and the feeling of bad assery when you have a city fight with building getting destroyed everywhere is awesome. Some of the most visually exciting mechwarrior gameplay ever. Very satisfying explosions and effects and they are really taking the best visual and gameplay aspects of the different mechwarrior games and smashing them into one. Feels very "by the fans for the fans"

I feel like that is all I needed to hear to pick this up tomorrow

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No 21:9? I was watching a streamer who was playing in 32:9, which seems like an even less common ratio.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I didn't even know there was active development on a new title. I haven't seen this game mentioned anywhere on the internet.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I have too much to play at the moment, but I will probably be picking this up in a week or so as well.
Hope they do a good job with the campaign missions!

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
What do you all prefer turning the mech with when you use a HOTAS in the previous MechWarrior games? The x axis of the joystick, twisting the joystick, the paddle on the front of the thruster, or foot pedal? I'm on the verge of getting the Thrustmaster T-Flight X for this game.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you all prefer turning the mech with when you use a HOTAS in the previous MechWarrior games? The x axis of the joystick, twisting the joystick, the paddle on the front of the thruster, or foot pedal? I'm on the verge of getting the Thrustmaster T-Flight X for this game.

I literally just ordered a T-Flight X today, so I'll let you know.

Back in my Mechwarrior 3 days I used a Sidewinder Precision Pro for pretty much everything. I recall pretty clearly using joystick twist for torso twist.

Never used a full HOTAS, though, so I'll have to experiment.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Hotas twist = turning legs, Joystick Twist = turning Torso
is how I did it... a long time ago.

But I also played the games on this monstrosity :)
vintage-phoenix-gravirqjyy.jpg

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Back in my Mechwarrior 3 days I used a Sidewinder Precision Pro for pretty much everything. I recall pretty clearly using joystick twist for torso twist.

This. Sidewinder Pro (that sadly seems like a huge hassle to get to work these days) twist was perfect for the torso movement in MW 3 and 4.

Oct 26, 2017
So is this the kind of game that actually plays better with HOTAS or it just an immersion and fun thing where you're probably better off with a mouse and playing it more like an FPS?

My CH CombatStick doesn't have twist action. But I do have a throttle with pedals, and TrackIR. Honestly that shit is all such a pain to have set up, I should really just have a second PC dedicated to sims (and VR I suppose)

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
So is this the kind of game that actually plays better with HOTAS or it just an immersion and fun thing where you're probably better off with a mouse and playing it more like an FPS?

My CH CombatStick doesn't have twist action. But I do have a throttle with pedals, and TrackIR. Honestly that shit is all such a pain to have set up, I should really just have a second PC dedicated to sims (and VR I suppose)

Mechwarrior Online is easier to play with mouse and keyboard. I expect this will be the same, where mouse simply is more precise.

But immersion is a million times better with HOTAS, so I would highly recommend going for that if you're into immersion.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
No 21:9? I was watching a streamer who was playing in 32:9, which seems like an even less common ratio.
In the beta the game HAS ultrawide resolutions but that doesn't mean the aspect ratio is correct. If you don't max out your fov the top and bottom of the screen is being cut off. Same issue the outer worlds has.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Please be good, please be good, please be good. I don't ask for much.

It has been a long wait since 4 and I did not like online too much, so I am hoping this will be at least decent.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews are rolling out:

Handsomephantom 7.5/10
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries offers a surprisingly accessible action packed experience with an impressive amount of depth. The managing of resources and expenses creates an intricate and rewarding metagame that expertly complements the intensity of the game's battles. Despite some shortcomings in cumbersome menu design and lacking mission variety, MechWarrior 5 is easy to recommend for both series veterans and newcomers.

Gaming Trend 85/100
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is a return to form. As a fan of the series, it's been a very long wait, but PGI managed to deliver in a big way on nearly every front. While there are certain things that could be improved, what's here is an excellent four player mech-stomping good time.

Only Singleplayer 3/5
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries delivers a fun, combat-adventure game and a worthy sequel within the franchise. The movement controls, backing action music, and combat mechanics offer a thrilling, Mech-based action game. However, the inconsistent narrative design, demanding PC specifications, and frustrating repair mechanic detract from the game's potential. In its current state, players may find Titanfall 2 the more appealing mech-centric choice.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Ah, screw it- pulled the trigger and bought it. Now let's see how long the download from EGS takes...

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of some of its issues. Crank the difficult and leap into some of the missions and the chaos can get to a grand scale

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Pre order / backer keys are released. Glad to see the solid reviews. I really love the building destruction stuff. The beta definitely felt a little jank visually but man the chaos is just epic. Lol

Dusker

Jul 6, 2018
Is anybody having issues with controller support? I'm not able to move forward/backwards and see no binding options for that in the gamepad options...

Status
Not open for further replies.