• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
3129poh.jpg

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC
Release Date: December 10th, 2019
Genre: Action/Simulator
Price:
$49.99 USD (Standard)​
$59.99 USD (Deluxe)​
Player(s): 1-4
Format: Digital
Developer/Publisher: Piranha Games
Size: ~55GB

koYKqiZ.png

What is MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries?
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is the first entry in the MechWarrior series since 2002. You take control of a MechWarrior, a human pilot of large warlike machines called Battlemechs, as they attempt to take revenge against those who decimated your family all while expanding their newly formed mercenary company.

How does this relate to the Battletech strategy from Harebrained Schemes?
While the two games take place in the same universe they, aside from sharing mech designs, are not related to each other.

Is there any reference material for the Battletech/MechWarrior universe?
The series has a huge amount of existing content through books, tabletop, video games, cartoons but for something recent—and free—check out the novellas released in the lead up to MechWarrior 5's release. These stories will help fill in the histories of some of the characters you will encounter in the game.
https://mw5mercs.com/novellas

Do I need to have played MechWarrior 1-4 to enjoy this game?
No. You can jump right into MechWarrior 5 without issue.

How much of a "sim" is this?
MechWarrior is a fast paced, real-time, action game where you need to keep your Battlemech's systems in mind at all times. In missions you'll need to manage your heat, squad, position, mech loadout and other factors rather than always going in laser blazing. Outside of combat you'll be managing your mercenary company by buying/maintaining Battlemechs, taking on jobs, paying/managing your hired MechWarriors, going through battlefield salvage, etc.

Is there a third person (mech?) camera perspective?
Yes, in addition to the standard cockpit-view you can use an external camera to play the game (includes a targeting reticule).

Will MechWarrior 5 feature the greatest Battlemech in the series?
The game takes place from 3015 to 3049, before the clan invasion, so the Timberwolf should not factor into the current timeline. Pour one out for everyone's favorite Madcat.

Qi1lHXn.png

What kind of multiplayer options are there?
You have the ability to play the campaign or instant action with an additional 3 players cooperatively. There is no PvP in the game with Piranha Games pointing to MechWarrior Online to fulfill that role.

Instant action?
Allows you to jump right into combat with a generated PvE scenario.

Is there mod support?
The game will launch with an editor for users to create mods with and will support the Epic Games Store mod browser when that launches sometime in 2020.

Raytracing and Deep Learning Super Sampling support?
Coming next year.

How long is the game?
The developers point to a 25-30 hour playthrough for a campaign-focused run.

Controller support?
Kinda.

Is there HOTAS (Hands On Throttle-And-Stick) support?
Yes. The game was even demoed at events with the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS.

Is there VR support?
Despite the game initially being designed with VR in mind it will not launch with it, but it is something the developer will give another look at post-launch.

How long is is MechWarrior 5 exclusive to the Epic Games Store?
The game will be exclusive to that platform for one year.

What's included in the Deluxe Edition of the game?
The soundtrack, a technical manual and a wallpaper pack.

Game Pass on PC?
Yes, MechWarrior 5 was added to the service in 2020.

Console plans?
Yes, MechWarrior 5 will be launching on the Xbox One and Xbox Series S|X consoles in 2021.

kaTbkq1.png

wehe6y8.jpg
idmMzpi.jpg

S0Pu403.jpg
IOcI9Hx.jpg

wtN5KPH.png

Metacritic | Opencritic

Handsomephantom 7.5/10
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries offers a surprisingly accessible action packed experience with an impressive amount of depth. The managing of resources and expenses creates an intricate and rewarding metagame that expertly complements the intensity of the game's battles. Despite some shortcomings in cumbersome menu design and lacking mission variety, MechWarrior 5 is easy to recommend for both series veterans and newcomers.

Gaming Trend 85/100
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is a return to form. As a fan of the series, it's been a very long wait, but PGI managed to deliver in a big way on nearly every front. While there are certain things that could be improved, what's here is an excellent four player mech-stomping good time.

Only Singleplayer 3/5
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries delivers a fun, combat-adventure game and a worthy sequel within the franchise. The movement controls, backing action music, and combat mechanics offer a thrilling, Mech-based action game. However, the inconsistent narrative design, demanding PC specifications, and frustrating repair mechanic detract from the game's potential. In its current state, players may find Titanfall 2 the more appealing mech-centric choice.

sarna.net "...Overall, The Best MechWarrior Game Yet"
Actually, it's not just that. MechWarrior 5 also has all the improvements in gameplay that have accumulated over the past 15 years, so it's actually better. I haven't even done the co-op campaign yet, which I'm really looking forward to.

1HoSgR0.png

Official Site

Last edited:

Artadius

Avenger
Jan 15, 2018
I wonder just how much freedom we'll have in the campaign? If I don't want to move the storyline further, can I just keep taking contracts with the houses and travel throughout the inner sphere?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
can I just keep taking contracts with the houses and travel throughout the inner sphere?

You should, yes.

Internal playthroughs clock in at around 25-30 hours for completing a campaign-focused run. That said, you're free to run the 'mercenary loop' for as long as you like, taking procedural contracts throughout the Inner Sphere and living the life of a mercenary outside the core story. With that freedom in mind, we expect campaign completion times will vary quite a bit.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered a HOTAS to play this with a friend (and also dive back into Freespace). So excited!

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
The only true successor to the Star League is House Davion, just saying.

Most of my contracts will be for them, probably.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Is it true that the game actually requires a SSD disk to even run?
Hope it isn't the case as I don't have one and I'm curious about this game.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
As someone that's only ever known the series as 'that strategy game from Harebrained Schemes' it is uncanny as heck to see an action version of it.

Really hope it's good, 'cause it sure sounds cool.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, flying a bit under the radar at the moment. Hopefully reviews drop sometime today.
I've noticed outside of the AAA titans, games that have signed EGS exclusivity deals tend to get far fewer professional reviews. Not sure why, maybe a lack of interest from the various readerships?

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Huge fan of the series! Purchased MechWarrior 2 day 1. I remember it being more expensive than any game at launch but I can't remember how much it sold for (I want to say $70 when most games were going for $50?)

Already preordered!

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Lore™ continues to get in the way of the king.

I've noticed outside of the AAA titans, games that have signed EGS exclusivity deals tend to get far fewer professional reviews. Not sure why, maybe a lack of interest from the various readerships?

The same can be said for a lot of other AA releases for this season, regardless of storefront, it's just a really busy time of year for the press.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Is this gonna be third person or first person (in cockpit)?

EDIT: Nvm, I found the line in the OT..

Yes, in addition to the standard cockpit-view you can use an external camera to play the game (includes a targeting reticule).​

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very nervous about this release.

So their license expires in 2020. Does that mean they cannot release the game in 2020 without an extension?

The fact that it is coming out with almost zero hype or fanfare in the middle of December makes me think they are just dumping it out because the have to legally release it before the license expires in 3 weeks.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very nervous about this release.

So their license expires in 2020. Does that mean they cannot release the game in 2020 without an extension?

The fact that it is coming out with almost zero hype or fanfare in the middle of December makes me think they are just dumping it out because the have to legally release it before the license expires in 3 weeks.

If I remember the timing for Shadowrun (originally the same license before the MW extension) it was mid-late in the year that we can ballpark the deal ended, but the MW deal can be different. Piranha are in frequent communication with Microsoft; I doubt they wouldn't have something in place to account for the Steam release when they made the decision to delay the game.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Is this gonna be third person or first person (in cockpit)?

EDIT: Nvm, I found the line in the OT..

Yes, in addition to the standard cockpit-view you can use an external camera to play the game (includes a targeting reticule).​
Don't like that for some reason.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bit surprised RTX isn't coming (yet), I was very excited about Mech5 launching with new, exciting graphical features.
But I'm biased, I bought a Matrox Mystique just to play the best Mechwarrior 2 version back in the days and the amount of hours I've spent in Mech2 and Mech2:Mercenaries are insane.
Full disclaimer: The Mystique wasn't a good choice, I had to get a Monster 3D in addition to it.

Have fun everybody and good luck MechWarriors:

*But I'm sitting this one out.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bit surprised RTX isn't coming (yet), I was very excited about Mech5 launching with new, exciting graphical features.
But I'm biased, I bought a Matrox Mystique just to play the best Mechwarrior 2 version back in the days and the amount of hours I've spent in Mech2 and Mech2:Mercenaries are insane.
Full disclaimer: The Mystique wasn't a good choice, I had to get a Monster 3D in addition to it.

Have fun everybody and good luck MechWarriors:

*But I'm sitting this one out.

What a fun comparison. The difference between the various accelerators is stark.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed MWO for a while before the monetization and power creep of the Clan mechs sort of soured me on the game.

Waiting to see how this turns out. Hoping for the best, but my expectations are not super high.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Looking forward to Austin Walker reviewing it.
I've been watching some of the videos, and it looks really damn pretty.

Any truth to the rumour MekTek is coming back to do modding?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They shown the economy aspect in detail yet?

No. There was a guy who broke embargo and posted the first couple missions of the campaign, but you get only the briefest glimpse of how it's going to work. It will have some fundamental similarities to HBS' Battletech in terms of negotiating contract details. It seems like you have, to start, one 'negotiation point' that you can put toward adjusting either your CBills payout, your salvage rights, or your damage insurance (which is a large sum of extra money specifically set aside for repairs). I imagine as you continue to play, you will have more flexibility.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I am so torn on this. On the one hand, I want to be excited, cause MW4 is one of my favourite games ever, and I played it for years.

But almost no preview coverage, no reviews prior to release for a single-player title, no pre-load, no multiplayer...

It doesn't give me a lot of confidence, sadly...

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am so torn on this. On the one hand, I want to be excited, cause MW4 is one of my favourite games ever, and I played it for years.

But almost no preview coverage, no reviews prior to release for a single-player title, no pre-load, no multiplayer...

It doesn't give me a lot of confidence, sadly...

Co-op multiplayer is still multiplayer!

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Piranha Games everybody. License deserves better.

I do feel kinda bad for them cause I know they had a lot of issues with CE3 on MechWarrior online that maybe weren't entirely their fault. But they certainly haven't done much to inspire confidence in this new game so far -.-

Co-op multiplayer is still multiplayer!

True, and I am happy about that. But when you played MW4 competitively in leagues for almost 4 years, you want more than jsut co-op :)

Status
Not open for further replies.