• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is an argument that I see quite often, and yet has any EGS exclusive that's released so far done s"much worse" in terms of numbers in comparison to other platforms? because that's the ONLY way this argument is even relevant. You can't just assume that "well sure, Metro Exodus sold better on EGS than 2033 or Last Light ever did on Steam, but... Imagine how much better Exodus would have sold on STEAM and everywhere else if it wasn't JUST tied to EGS!" It's such a flawed argument.

There are plenty of real arguments to be made against EGS, but I don't believe this is one of them. Especially if you were to look at Satisfactory... that game has likely shattered the sales of Sanctum 1 and 2 combined and I bet Coffee Stain is more than happy with its performance.

The main issue at hand there is that EGS is about as forthcoming with sales numbers as I am with my medical records

There isn't a lot to go on usually

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'll wait for a steam sale in a year or two. This just saves me some money.

Sort of the same boat. The problem I know I'll have is as time goes on, my interest is in other games by that stage. Competing games will out compete this game because, they have the feature set I expect on services I trust that are easily accessible. So it's the devs loss even if this is the only option making sense for them.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The main issue at hand there is that EGS is about as forthcoming with sales numbers as I am with my medical records

I have a theory that Epic has a clause preventing developers and publishers from disclosing sale figures until the game exceeds the sales guarantee (or repaid the advance). It would explain why Satisfactory waited until 500k sales before mentioning any sort of sale figure. Likewise, it would explain why the only other EGS game we have numbers for was World War Z, and why they fudged Metro Exodus' figures back at GDC.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Have we had any developers who've gone egs exclusive lament the decision? If the developers in question are ending up with more money in their pocket then they projected launching on steam then it was the right decision for them. If it's working out for all parties involved then we'll probably continue to see these egs deals.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Have we had any developers who've gone egs exclusive lament the decision? If the developers in question are ending up with more money in their pocket then they projected launching on steam then it was the right decision for them. If it's working out for all parties involved then we'll probably continue to see these egs deals.

I'd be stunned if any dev was foolish enough to take the blood money and then say 'yo this shit sucked' lol

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The main dev is begging people not to refund.

iAsqFKy.png

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
AMA notes by bigeyez on Reddit.

Big comments so far:

Said epic is NOT paying for refunds. PGI is covering all refunds themselves.

Monetary investment from epic allowed them to delay the game instead of releasing and they were getting scared they wouldnt finish on time at the release date they had promised.

MW5 preorder did 20,000 units, MWO in comparison did 70,000. (painting picture they arent good financially although he says he felt it was a strong pre order nonetheless)

question was asked saying basically that it seems russ and pgi values bottom line more then backers. russ says he understand but that people want to see the game be successful. cites how he was flamed for no marketing for the game. says that going to the egs is the best way for them to ensure MW5 is successful and try to enable future products in the mechwarrior universe.

Sees tweets about him killing the Mechwarrior brand and he feels he is doing the opposite. Says he loves the brand. Wants to see the old games on GOG. Hopes if MW5 is successful on EGS it'll mean more opportunities for the MW series.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That makes me worry about how the development was going tbh, sounds like it was about to come in hella hot

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

The interesting part I'm reading is how he was shown sales data claiming that EGS games sell better than Steam games. I dunno, I can't really believe it. I'd be curious what goes into their modeling of how well the games would've sold on Steam. I guess this is where Sergey comes in with historical data. You'd think they'd be more public with that.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The interesting part I'm reading is how he was shown sales data claiming that EGS games sell better than Steam games. I dunno, I can't really believe it. I'd be curious what goes into their modeling of how well the games would've sold on Steam. I guess this is where Sergey comes in with historical data. You'd think they'd be more public with that.
Why wouldn't you believe it? All the controversy drives up interest in games that otherwise wouldn't be as popular.

Deleted member 11214

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have sales data provided by epic showing that games on the egs have actually sold more then what their projected steam sales would have been. (ie big fish in small pond again)

Would love to know what games those are purported to be, and find it hard to believe he's that stupid but rather he thinks those he's speaking to are.

The only game that's done better than its studio's Steam releases is World War Z, from Saber, which was a zombie survival game with a big Twitch push that did gangbusters and dropped off, from Saber who have done some good port work and a bunch of shovelware.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
>Said epic is NOT paying for refunds. PGI is covering all refunds themselves.

That explains them begging people not to refund.
Except they've said that everyone that wants one is welcome to request a refund by Sep 1 and they will even allow people to keep the MWO items that they've already redeemed. I don't see how that's begging at all. Russ even said again tonight, feel free to refund if that's what you want to do.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
They are currently doing the AMA and here's what their reasoning is:

1) The reason why Steam is less attractive these days is that discoverability is difficult and challenging, you fall off the front page within a moment. With a 150 games released a week its extremely difficult to know if your game is seen by players

Even with a name of Mechwarrior 5, the game is going to disappear of the frontpage of Steam in a week. With the EGS, the benefit there's only one game a week go to the store. With EGS, there's much longer visibility. PGI has actual sales data on products that went on EGS than with projected sales than on Steam and they are very positive. In fact, far more on EGS than previous iterations on Steam

2) The deal with EGS means higher visibility plus bigger cut. The rate 12% for EGS including the Unreal Engine. With Steam its 35% (30% to Valve, 5% to UE4). 750K units on EGS means 1 millions of sales on Steam. So in a situation where the product is not a big hit, EGS is much safer and PGI gets to the recoup point a lot quicker. I don't expect people to care about PGI's profits, but Russ Bollock has run the company for 20 years so you can bet PGI are going to make the decision that will make the game more successful.

3) Gears of War 5 and Borderlands 3 dropping right on top of MW5 in September meant that it would get buried by those major titles. So they chose to delay and thought about their opportunities and ended up on December. Russ also said this would happen last year if a big game would drop. Russ said that he would change the release date if a big game dropped right on top of MW5 back in 2018 during Mech Con.

4) EGS gives more money and allows for a longer delay. The money allows PGI to hire more people, make localization ready for release, and gives them a much heavier marketing push. The early December release means they can comfortably develop the game without too much pressure (less crunch!). It also means it will be released in German, French and Russian. The marketing budget is much bigger and it's not small. They've also hired more employees like narrative designers, localization, lighting artists.

With all these factors, it was the right decision they made for the studio. The game now has a much better chance to succeed. Russ bases these hopes on actual things on past sales of past Mechwarrior games. The bottom line is shipping a good game. For us we have to stay focused on making a great game and that's all we can focus on. Going to the EGS gives it a better chance for higher sales will lead to other Mechwarrior titles because the game will get better from this delay.

Sales data: Pre-orders for MW5 is 20.000. 700 have asked for a refund today. More will come obviously. (MW:Online got 70.000 back in 2012 but that was during the heyday of Kickstarters)

Sales target: "Our aspirations is that we want to sell a million units. If we hit the quality level needed, we expect the game to sell well."

Steam keys are not allowed for pre-orders any longer because Valve no longer allows this for developers who go EGS exclusive. It changed after the last Metro.

Mod Morrigan feel free to threadmark this post. It probably is of interest to people interested in the business arrangements between Valve and Epic.

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
So why did they release on Steam, then? That argument doesn't make any sense. They started with their own launcher and added Steam for their existing game and started with Steam on their next game. On the contrary, that shows that they couldn't count on the userbase that don't care about other launchers.
If I recall correctly, adding Steam was just a feather in their cap and and they expected boost of money and players but it only ended up being a bump. They had reached a multi-year milestone and were planning a bunch of expansions and also incidentally an ill fated Space battle game that had fuck-all to do with Mechwarrior. I guess the Steam boost from all the Steam members who weren't already playing MWO was supposed to support all of that, but instead they had to scale back and focus on Mechwarrior stuff only because while a lot of existing members migrated to Steam, the new user interest wasn't incredibly high. So Steam didn't solve all their money woes, and they had to go back to seeking funds.

Keepingin mind that they're not innocent in this, because they tried to leverage and expand into other games at the expense of their MWO player base.

Russ even said again tonight, feel free to refund if that's what you want to do.
a name i've not heard in a long time...a long time......

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
it's funny because all epic store's front page is is a giant list of games. i guess you can't really fall off the front page when it's formatted like that.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why wouldn't you believe it? All the controversy drives up interest in games that otherwise wouldn't be as popular.

I'll assume they aren't arguing that going with EGS will net you so much bad publicity that you get more sales. I'm inclined to think their projections work more like "Coffeestain Studios found more success with first week sales of Satisfactory on EGS than first week sales of their Goat Simulator on Steam". They are nabbing companies' biggest games yet after all. It would be nice to see sales figures for games that launched on both platforms. But all I know of are the Subnautica expansion and the new Vampire game coming up.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sales data: Pre-orders for MW5 is 20.000. 700 have asked for a refund today. More will come obviously. (MW:Online got 70.000 back in 2012 but that was during the heyday of Kickstarters)

Steam keys are not allowed for pre-orders any longer because Valve no longer allows this for developers who go EGS exclusive. It changed after the last Metro.

Bit 1: So a little less than 5% for day of announcement refunds, I expect that to probably grow past 10% or so

Bit 2: Yeah that makes sense for Valve to set that standard, that Metro shit was fuckin' wildin

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
If you look at the reasons that PGI has made here, it makes perfect sense to make the move. A delay that avoids crunch, hiring more people, bigger marketing push, more visibility, more localization, 12 percent cut versus a 35 percent cut. The game will end up on Steam and GOG regardless. You would be crazy to say no to that.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game looks like it needs a news story to prop up its sales...well...there's your story.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if it offends anyone, but imagine waiting 17 years for a singleplayer Mechwarrior and then tapping out right at the end because you have to launch the game through a different software launcher than promised.
Its a bit fucking more than just a launcher. Were it that there wouldn't be any outrage, only annoyance at most.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if it offends anyone, but imagine waiting 17 years for a singleplayer Mechwarrior and then tapping out right at the end because you have to launch the game through a different software launcher than promised.

ok i'm imagining it. what are you trying to say about that person?

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Its a bit fucking more than just a launcher. Were it that there wouldn't be any outrage, only annoyance at most.

What more does it do? It's still just a singleplayer game and it'll get to Steam eventually anyway. By the way, did you read my summary of the AMA reasoning? It makes perfect sense for doing what they do.

ok i'm imagining it. what are you trying to say about that person?

That they probably should get some perspective and understand where the developers are coming from. And it's probably not that big of a problem to install EGS to launch mw5mercs.exe and it'll come to Steam next year anyway

Imagine bending over backwards just cause you wanna play a game bad.

Yep, lots of backwards bending for singleplayer-starved Mechwarrior fans by installing yet another software client on their PC. 17 years of waiting and you tap out now because of this? Sorry I just can't relate.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility; Previous Warning for Hostility

Fuck off with your 'software launcher' bullshit clown. Keep doing PR for Epic for free.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
If you look at the reasons that PGI has made here, it makes perfect sense to make the move. A delay that avoids crunch, hiring more people, bigger marketing push, more visibility, more localization, 12 percent cut versus a 35 percent cut. The game will end up on Steam and GOG regardless. You would be crazy to say no to that.

It is pretty air tight... I think people would have a hard time arguing against those numbers. It almost feels like the only responsible move to make.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't help when MWO left a bad taste. Poorly optimized, slow updates, 500 dollar skins and packs, pay2win gimmicks and a ridiculous grind for people who don't have money.
It was a fun game that felt like it was never going to be in a polished state and they way real money was involved felt gross. Maybe Epics money can help them avoid any of that, but im not convinced.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah but will it end up on Steam at the end?

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Blech. I was already leery of this game given that I haven't exactly been impressed with Piranha, and the videos I've seen have hardly blown my socks off. This is the proverbial final nail for me.

Hard pass. Fuck this noise. When I have time for it, I'll get the DLC for Battletech 2018 and play that some more. PGI can you-know my whats-it.

RIP MW. Mechs down at Nav Gamma. :[

...imagine waiting 17 years for a singleplayer Mechwarrior and then tapping out right at the end because you have to launch the game through a different software launcher than promised.

whew, that's an *easy* ignore. Imagine being this disingenuous unironically.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
It's pretty obvious you don't care to relate many pages ago.

Sorry I just don't see the outrage given the situation the game developers are in and given how difficult it is to install another software launcher or wait a year until it gets on Steam. Assuming someone is a Mechwarrior fan and waited 17 years for this.

It doesn't help when MWO left a bad taste. Poorly optimized, slow updates, 500 dollar skins and packs, pay2win gimmicks and a ridiculous grind for people who don't have money.
It was a fun game that felt like it was never going to be in a polished state and they way real money was involved felt gross. Maybe Epics money can help them avoid any of that, but im not convinced.

As far as I have read, that was the fault of IGP, the publisher who decided much of what PGI was allowed to do back then. That publisher since went bankrupt because it was a scam apparently.

Yeah but will it end up on Steam at the end?

Yes, December 2020.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Just because you waited for something for almost two decades doesn't mean you can't be disappointed by it tho

Or how it's being handled

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA

After MWO, trust in the devs was already low. They're gonna start this new project by putting money first/ fan base second. I'll keep waiting.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Eh, the amount of shit Mechwarrior players have to go through to get any of the old games running... this isn't going to seem like that big an imposition.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Well, we know Epic only takes a 12% cut, so developers should theoretically be ecstatic to release there, if sales are good. How many games are releasing there without an Epic deal? Genuine question, I don't follow the store closely.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Shit, I am noping out of Shenmue 3, which was one of my dream games of last two decades basically. Compared to that, MW5 is nothing. Sad to see both go that route, and I do understand the reasoning for MW5 (Shenmue is Deep Silver's bullshit for the most part), but still, fuck that. Maybe I'll get these games on Steam for a fraction of the price if something else doesn't distract me and I am not angry about the whole thing at that point, but overall, meh.

Also, it's hugely disingenuous to write off EGS bullshit as just a launcher, as at this point its just trolling (and to ignore that person goes).

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Well, we know Epic only takes a 12% cut, so developers should theoretically be ecstatic to release there, if sales are good. How many games are releasing there without an Epic deal? Genuine question, I don't follow the store closely.

Almost all of them have a deal attached to bring them there, exceptions are usually either older games or AAA games like Cyberpunk