• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
A lot of big news for 'mech fans:
  • Mechwarrior 5 is coming to Xbox Series X and S in Spring 2021 alongside the Steam and GOG release.
  • The developers behind Mechwarrior 5 announced yesterday that they've been acquired by EG7, a Swedish game publisher who specializes in marketing for major titles like Destiny, Fortnite, Call of Duty, Angry Birds, and some Ubisoft titles. The acquisition means that the developers will have more money on hand to hire more people and work on both of their Mechwarrior games for the next 5 years that they have the MW license from Microsoft. It also means better support and marketing from an established publisher, something they've lacked for a while as a small independent studio.
  • The other news is that the Heroes of the Inner Sphere DLC and Steam & GOG release were supposed to be released December 10. But with Cyberpunk 2077 being delayed to that day meant that they had to change things around. So now they've decided to postpone the Steam and GOG release and have them coincide with the Xbox release.
  • The delay means that all versions of the game will be released simultaneously to create maximum "synergy" and that more fixes and improvements will be implemented to the release.
Here's the official news update from the developers:
As many of you know, the delay in the release of Cyberpunk 2077 until December 10th had us reconsidering our release date for the Heroes of the Inner Sphere DLC, as well as the launch of MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries on Steam and GoG. Any developer wants their titles to get as much attention as possible, and obviously sharing a release date with Cyberpunk was less than optimal. Day one sales and marketing are so important to a successful product launch, and we believe that rescheduling our release date will allow MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries to have the opportunity and attention it deserves.

While exploring our options, we saw the potential to fulfill a longstanding dream of Piranha Games. To simultaneously ship across multiple platforms, including delivering a modern MechWarrior title to console gamers worldwide. So after much consideration and debate, we have decided that moving the release date of MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries DLC Heroes of the Inner Sphere to Spring 2021 is the right choice. This will allow us to fulfill that dream and more. We are excited and proud to announce that now, in addition to playing MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries on PC, it will also be available on the XBox Series X|S and XBox One. This will be the first MechWarrior title on a console since 2004's MechAssault 2, and in our opinion, the first true MechWarrior experience ever on a console.

Along with the XBox release, this delay will allow us some additional opportunities that will benefit the game, as well as the MechWarrior community at large. First and foremost, the combined release on Steam, GoG, EGS, Microsoft Store, and XBox consoles will give us more exposure and a broader reach than we've ever had before. We will capitalize on this increased exposure with our largest marketing initiative to date, bringing as many new eyes to the MechWarrior franchise as possible. This will give us more time to add improvements and quality of life features to the base game, including AI, UI, art, customization, and content. We will continue to tune the single player campaign and new career modes, making running your Mercenary Unit the most rewarding experience possible.

With the recent acquisition of Piranha Games by EG7, we have even more resources available to support these efforts. We will leverage this new relationship to take our MechWarrior titles to the next level, and increase our growth and presence globally. We understand that this news is not ideal for those that have been waiting to purchase the game on Steam or another platform, or for those that have been ready to dive into Heroes of the Inner Sphere, but we promise that the wait will be worth it.

We are in the process of creating a MechWarrior 5 developer vlog that will dive deeper into the decisions leading to this delay, as well as any other questions you might have about the future of MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries.

And finally, how will this decision affect MechWarrior Online? It won't! There will be no impact on our MechWarrior Online initiatives, and in fact this will likely benefit MWO in the long run by bringing more eyes to our multiplayer PvP MechWarrior experience. By the release of MW5 in Spring 2021, we should be well on our way towards implementing significant updates to MWO, including exciting improvements to the new player experience, making sure we're ready for new players.

Thank you,

The MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Team

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries - Special Announcement

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Didn't seem like the game really set the world on fire, but hopefully the game is in a better place by the time of the Steam release. I haven't touched the Epic Game Store and this was the first game in the run-up to release that got me tempted but I'm glad I waited.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Love me some Mechwarrior, excited to see how it runs on Series X.

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Didn't seem like the game really set the world on fire, but hopefully the game is in a better place by the time of the Steam release. I haven't touched the Epic Game Store and this was the first game in the run-up to release that got me tempted but I'm glad I waited.

According to the merge and acquisition by EG7, MW5 managed to sell "hundreds of thousands of copies" on EGS alone. It also generated approximately 22.7 million CAD in a 9 month span. With Steam and GOG and now Xbox coming up, it will probably be pretty significant push. Expect major QoL improvements plus the DLC to put the game in a better place than in its original state.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
BTThumbsUp.gif

I'd been contemplating this for PC but the 16GB RAM recommended put me off. A little worried how it'll run on Series S with 8GB, but hopefully it'll be optimized.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Awesome. It seems like Piranha is in a good place.

I still hold out hope that one day either Piranha, or perhaps another dev will ressurect Mech Assault. I would love a remake of the first game, or even just ti have its online mode back online.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
Awesome. I really liked what Piranha did with MWO. (and i liked mech assault). I'm excited for this.

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Wait, PGI was acquired. Oh sheet I need to go check the MWO forums.

From what I've heard by someone interested in this thing: The acquisition basically means that the developers no longer will have to do everything by themselves. They don't need to do marketing for example and they will have more financial stability. They receive an injection of around 20 million CAD in cash as well as 30 million in stocks, they get a really big performance target bonus if they meet them in 2025. They will work as an independent studio still but report to the new publisher. They will work on both Mechwarrior Online and Mechwarrior 5 (obviously as seen by this news) with the Microsoft license expiring in 2025, and then pre-production on a live service game (hirings suggest a multiplayer first-person shooter).

The information from the acquisition is that MWO has generated around 75 million CAD revenue in its lifetime, MW5 has sold "hundreds of thousands of copies" since its EGS release and has generated around 22.7 million CAD in revenue as of September 2020. There are still tens of thousands of daily active players in MWO.

EG7, the Swedish publisher, has two divisions: one game dev, one marketing. The game dev is not very big or prolific, but the marketing division is big with work done for Destiny, Fortnite, Call of Duty, Angry Birds, AC Valhalla, and Far Cry 6. If the Mechwarrior developers can utilize this branch, then their games could make a bigger splash. This news about a Xbox release simultanously with a GOG and Steam and DLC release might make a larger dent in the different markets that they are targeting.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
From what I've heard by someone interested in this thing: The acquisition basically means that the developers no longer will have to do everything by themselves. They don't need to do marketing for example and they will have more financial stability. They receive an injection of around 20 million CAD in cash as well as 30 million in stocks, they get a really big performance target bonus if they meet them in 2025. They will work as an independent studio still but report to the new publisher. They will work on both Mechwarrior Online and Mechwarrior 5 (obviously as seen by this news) with the Microsoft license expiring in 2025, and then pre-production on a live service game (hirings suggest a multiplayer first-person shooter).

The information from the acquisition is that MWO has generated around 75 million CAD revenue in its lifetime, MW5 has sold "hundreds of thousands of copies" since its EGS release and has generated around 22.7 million CAD in revenue as of September 2020. There are still tens of thousands of daily active players in MWO.

EG7, the Swedish publisher, has two divisions: one game dev, one marketing. The game dev is not very big or prolific, but the marketing division is big with work done for Destiny, Fortnite, Call of Duty, Angry Birds, AC Valhalla, and Far Cry 6. If the Mechwarrior developers can utilize this branch, then their games could make a bigger splash. This news about a Xbox release simultanously with a GOG and Steam and DLC release might make a larger dent in the different markets that they are targeting.

There's no way tens of thousands are playing MWO daily, when the current player base as of the current season is tracked at 15K.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, pretty excited to finally see this announced. My dusty ol' CPU had no chance of running the game so this'll be my shot at getting back into the franchise after so long.

Fingers crossed that HOTAS support makes it over. Seemed promising when they first talked about a console release a while back.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Pity it's horribly boring and such a disappointment compared to previous titled. :( Played this via Gamepass PC awhile back.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017

The gameplay and feel are solid, especially if you played MWO. It's been years since I touched that game but the muscle memory all came back easily. It's just the missions themselves aren't terribly interesting. Think Instant Action generated missions in old Mechwarrior games, with a thin veneer of story progression. Also the economy goes out the window rather quickly and you can just buy whatever nonsense you want with no worry. Just set your expectations I guess...this isn't some big budget AAA game, PGI is a small studio.

Also I played it quite a bit in co-op which was really fun when it worked. I don't know if it was netcode, my friend's bad computer or both but once we got to mid-late game he couldn't load into missions anymore. 5+ minute loadtimes and then he'd just crash out.

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
There's no way tens of thousands are playing MWO daily, when the current player base as of the current season is tracked at 15K.

I think it was referring to historically.

Pity it's horribly boring and such a disappointment compared to previous titled. :( Played this via Gamepass PC awhile back.

No, it's actually pretty good. The new content they have planned for both base game and DLC also seem like it will up the ante and be a pretty big update.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Awesome, this is great news for someone who's a big Mechwarrior fan, but decided to get a Xbox Series X before upgrading their PC. I had been holding off waiting for improvements to AI, etc before playing.

It's also not terribly surprising since the license for MW had come up last December and PGI were hopeful MS would renew it. I wouldn't be surprised if getting on GP PC and in particular consoles may have been part of the deal.

Playing MW with a controller is sure going to be quite the experience...

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
It's good that they do but career mode felt like random pvp matches but with bots instead. Copy pasted all over.

I guess that's what happens with procedurally generated content after a while, no matter what game we are talking about. The Battletech game suffers from the same problem with its career mode. It's difficult to make proc gen content feel 'unique'.

So before the two guys leading the company ran the game into the ground, through sheer incompetence and spite.

This move HAD to be about the IP, because no one would give them $30 million in consideration, in good conscience.

Did they? I haven't been following that game so much, but 75 milion CAD lifetime for a F2P premium game is nothing to scoff at.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
This move HAD to be about the IP, because no one would give them $30 million in consideration, in good conscience.

Then it was a waste of money
Microsoft own the IP and are leasing it out to Piranha.
This wasn't about that.

Back on topic... I'm really stoked that it's coming to xbox.
I hope they find a way to add mods. My Laptop wont run Mechwarrior 5, and I'm really missing driving my Thug.