• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played like 10 minutes and I already really like this. I hope people will see this as another enjoyable boss rush game and not just "budget Cuphead".

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Rumble was one of those things that kept getting pushed back in the schedule, until the point where it was one of the last things left. And I realized that adding it that point would just lead to a rushed half-arsed implementation anyway, and it would be better to just skip it and maybe add it in a patch later.

Please, add HD Rumble in a patch! :-) That would make such a difference IMO! And if you do, make sure to add a strength option (joycons generally seem to need less HD rumble than a pro controller). Thanks for a fun game!

Iam worried about the controls the most. The weight of the character looks off and one review said the tether to walls are inconsistent.

So you would recommend a buy?

Haven't climbed enough yet to be able to answer the wall tether thing. The character is pretty "light weight", but IMO that's a good design against the huge bosses.

Based on what I've played so far, it's well worth the asking price.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the game, will jump in after I finish Steam World Dig 2!

Seconding the ask for rumble via a patch!

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw this game I thought the mechs were a little generic, but the way they're constantly transforming/breaking apart and pulling out new attacks that make you go "WTF WHY CAN THEY DO THAT" is really impressive.

I am worried about the controls the most. The weight of the character looks off and one review said the tether to walls are inconsistent.

The character is really light and floaty like in Gunman Clive. As for the wall tether, I haven't seen any issues. It works exactly like climbing walls in the Retro DKC games.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
The 2-player mode works excellent! Since the player bullets use different colors, it's very easy to see where you are even when there's a lot going on.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this is really good as expected. It's pretty much a Treasure-style game made by Bertil with crazy transforming bosses. The first thing you have to learn is to quickly use the shoulder button to stand in place and fire precise shots. I think the controls could be slightly tighter but so far it looks and feels good.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really like this after two bosses but there are some control and physic "weirdness" that will take some getting used to.

Maybe it's just me, but I wish holding L to crouch, which locks your movement, would do so without having to hold the fire button down first. I don't know why, but it was really throwing me off at first. I think my brain is working now, though.

And yeah, the jumping and is really floaty and I had some frustrations because of it in the snow level but that's all just getting used to the way the game plays and not really a problem. Much like Clive.

I DO wish there were more sound effects and feedback when parts are flying off of the mechs because that stuff is really visually saysfying and with some more sound it would be awesome feeling.

This shit is cool, though.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
Mechstermination Force looks fantastic, sharp in its style, design, and performance. The bosses seem so fun and creative, which must be an incredibly difficult thing to create, and loading looks quick from the footage I've seen. Good to see many players and reviewers enjoying it already.

Best of luck to beril and everyone else involved on their awesome new game.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The NintendoLife review felt sorry for the game appearing so close to Cuphead, basically.
Interesting. They're different enough in terms of tone, style, and mechanics that I didn't even make the connection myself. I think the lower price and two week headstart was a good call.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. They're different enough in terms of tone, style, and mechanics that I didn't even make the connection myself. I think the lower price and two week headstart was a good call.
Cuphead is more of a contra boss run in my opinion.

This game is more like a 2d Shadow of the Colossus without the free roam aspect with some bullet hell.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I think the game started to click with me when this fairly standard robot boss transformed into a giant alligator. I'm still kinda getting used to the game and finding it a little frustrating but it's fun and the bosses are really interesting. Definitely feels like something I'll replay a lot

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like the Gunman Clive games, this title lacks the audio "oomph" you expect when hitting enemies or taking damage yourself. The sound effects are far too limited and quiet. I'm also really struggling with this game's jumping controls for some reason.

Really cool game though. I love boss rush games and this is scratching that itch quite nicely.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
just to make sure, this is not a Contra-like run'n'gun game. Boss fights only!
I'm aware. HCU had its fare share of bosses hence the comparison.

Although I've found my playthrough of this to only be ok so far. Nothing spectacular, although I do like the two that I fought so far that had a surprise phase 2.

Last edited:

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Like the Gunman Clive games, this title lacks the audio "oomph" you expect when hitting enemies or taking damage yourself. The sound effects are far too limited and quiet. I'm also really struggling with this game's jumping controls for some reason.

Really cool game though. I love boss rush games and this is scratching that itch quite nicely.
Ye I have a huge problem with the sound design. So many missing sound effects. It is really hurting my enjoyment of the game when shooting lacks audio feedback. The game feels unfinished.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Ye I have a huge problem with the sound design. So many missing sound effects. It is really hurting my enjoyment of the game when shooting lacks audio feedback. The game feels unfinished.
This was already an issue in the Gunman Clive games. Sound design is a hugely underwhelming in all Hörberg Productions games, unfortunately.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been playing a little more, reached the third boss now and the game is still kicking my ass. So, so good.

The game was updated to 1.0.1 earlier. Anyone know what it did? beril ?

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing for a long time now and loving it. I am to the forth boss and it is great but the small touches are holding it back. Something as simple as a pause sound or lowering the volume when you pause are missing.

The missing sound are the biggest travesty but the game design is great and I just keep wanting to play more to see the different transformations and seeing the breaking of pieces are so satisfying which makes the audio side so underwhelming.

Love love the boss designs.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing for a long time now and loving it. I am to the forth boss and it is great but the small touches are holding it back. Something as simple as a pause sound or lowering the volume when you pause are missing.

The missing sound are the biggest travesty but the game design is great and I just keep wanting to play more to see the different transformations and seeing the breaking of pieces are so satisfying which makes the audio side so underwhelming.

Love love the boss designs.

yeah, I agree. Really wish this game had more "punch" in the audio department, but it's still an awesome experience regardless.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Liking it but kind of struggling to adapt to the controls. Is ZL used to crouch and stick to the spot while shooting?

I've beaten a few bosses in handheld mode but I feel like the controls are a bit loose/imprecise in handheld mode. Hard to describe but it's my own fault. Gonna try and play on the Pro pad tonight, docked, and see how things feel.

Really digging it overall though!

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit just now and my initial impression is unfortunately a tad negative. My main problem is that the bosses require precise 360° shooting, making the d-pad insufficient, while the movement, as is usual for 2D games, feel terrible with the analog stick. This led to me constantly switching between the two, which didn't feel fun at all.
So far I think if I could move with the d-pad, shoot with the right stick, and jump with R, I would have a much better time.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'll get it but maybe not at launch. Want to support beril GC and especially GC2 were neat, loved the 3D effects.

Did this game begin as a 3DS project? Looking at videos I saw a few instances of animations and background's action that seemed to hint at stereoscopic 3D support being a thing in the past.

Are there difficulty settings? If yes, what's the difference between them? I don't think the game has a score mechanic or even an high score table/online leaderboards, does it?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Liking it but kind of struggling to adapt to the controls. Is ZL used to crouch and stick to the spot while shooting?

All shoulder buttons seem to work identical. I think you can choose whatever suits you the best.

Played a bit just now and my initial impression is unfortunately a tad negative. My main problem is that the bosses require precise 360° shooting, making the d-pad insufficient, while the movement, as is usual for 2D games, feel terrible with the analog stick. This led to me constantly switching between the two, which didn't feel fun at all.
So far I think if I could move with the d-pad, shoot with the right stick, and jump with R, I would have a much better time.

Don't know how well d-pad movement would work on the circular bosses, like the one with multiple circles and a core in the middle. And if you jump with R, how would you grab the walls?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Guys,
CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES
is LEGIT GOOD!

Sorry if I can't go look who it was, but a poster here was pimping it pretty hard (you know who you are, thanks!!) and, always looking for hidden gems myself, I decided to take the plunge.
It's fun, well polished and reminds me of a PC real time humorous strategy game from the Amiga/MS-DOS early '90s days, a mix between Cannon Fodder/Advance Wars and Warcraft 😁

And it's on sale for less than €4!

Bingo, I knew it the moment I saw those FOV moments and BGs clearly set up for stereo 3D.
first half of that post seems to have ended up in the wrong thread? sounds like an eShop thread post?

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played with the Pro pad today and was able to blaze through several bosses, some on the first try. The difficulty is really all over the place, but I mainly think it's partly because bosses that required climbing and wall jumps are really awkward at times. One of my favourite bosses (mechbeth, I think it was called?) had so many climbing sections you needed to jump from a grab to another grab that kind of expose how inconsistent things feel. For example, it's hard (if not impossible?) to do a standing jump upwards to hang and grab, even if you're holding LS up and ZL. I found it was easy to jump up into a hanging grab if I was crouched first.

Combine this with bosses that move and bend and it's unnecessarily difficult at times.

Another issue I have with the controls, but I realize that this one's on me, is that sometimes I'm hanging onto something or crouching for so long (while trying to aim very precisely) that I forget I'm going to begin moving again once I let go of the fire button. It's something I need to get better at but it throws me off pretty often.

To qualify all of my experiences above further, I'm playing solo. I think the game would definitely be easier in co-op.

I know the above sounds negative but I'm having a great time with it aside from those gripes. It has a "okay let's try just one more time" feeling if you lose. And it's so intense at times that you'll check the clear time when you finally beat a boss and say, "wow, was that really only 2 minutes?" The action is so intense and dialed-in that I feel like fights take 10 minutes, but I guess focused action has a time dilation effect or something.

Anyway, I'm gonna go see if I can beat the last few bosses now!

beril

Oct 27, 2017
Bingo, I knew it the moment I saw those FOV moments and BGs clearly set up for stereo 3D.

Eh not really, that video is literally how far it ever got on 3DS. Everything about the artstyle, the design of the bosses and levels etc were done after I returned to the idea two years later, with solely the Switch in mind

there is also this:

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
That was just... thoroughly average.

I dunno why the shmup section was so floaty. And it felt like the music could have used orchestra or guitar.

Going for time isn't a good objective in this sort of game when you have so much rng.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
What an annoying game.

Why is there no dual analog? Because of that i constantly jump left/right right into the pit because i was shooting in that direction.

Why aren't rockets aligned properly so when i shoot horizontally i destroy them? Sometimes default gun's bullets just fly a pixel above them and that's just wrong -- if i see a rocket flying horizontally towards me my gunfire SHOULD hit them when i shoot horizontally. Anything else is just an error.

Oct 26, 2017
I've been liking it so far. Granted I'm not very good at these games but the ability to earn money from replaying old missions means I can afford upgrades.
Love the boss designs and transformations!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Why aren't rockets aligned properly so when i shoot horizontally i destroy them? Sometimes default gun's bullets just fly a pixel above them and that's just wrong -- if i see a rocket flying horizontally towards me my gunfire SHOULD hit them when i shoot horizontally. Anything else is just an error.

So if you were an enemy ship going horizontally towards your target, you would automatically choose a height above ground where it's the easiest for you to be hit? Choosing any other height is an error?

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very clever game, but man I wish the controls were tighter.
Try it on the Pro controller if you have one. Moving to the Pro from Handheld mode was seriously a gamechanger.

I've been liking it so far. Granted I'm not very good at these games but the ability to earn money from replaying old missions means I can afford upgrades.
Love the boss designs and transformations!
Replaying is really nice if you just want to grind out some quick cash, yeah! The game definitely gets easier overtime too, as you purchase more Hearts. In a sense, it has a Dark Souls-ish progression where, over time, you can brute force your way through some bosses because you'll have earned enough money to buy a Heart or a new weapon.