• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
QTE

Lame long walking and talking sections.

off-topic but long loading times lol, actually I despise unoptimized loading times and baked-in loading times (when they could be faster - PC ports).

I stopped caring about that about 7 years ago, also Steam profile pics, profile announcements wallpapers and stuff like that (cards, decorations and whatnot). I don't pay any attention to them whatsoever.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Pinch Hitter Tickets in Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf. I used them three times, and I lost all three times. Didn't bother with that.
Besides, winning yourself is way more fulfilling anyway.

Also, fine-tuning in Forza games. I use tuning in a lot of racing games, but Forza's UI for tuning is just crap, so I don't bother.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's roadie running in Gears of War. I just walk everywhere, or roll if I want to get into cover a bit faster.

The camera shakes far too violently whilst roadie running - I can't see, it disorientates me and generally makes me uncomfortable.

--

Another would be Gummi Ships in Kingdom Hearts. Unfortunately it's forced upon you but I engage with that entire system as little as possible. The bare minimum to get through it.

Talking to NPCs in a big town. I really don't care about what everyone has to say.

Reload mini game in Gears of War. Just let me reload my damn gun like a normal person.

Beat the clock side activities. How about no?

No roadie run and no active reload? Now I've heard everything.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Manual driving in racing games.

Sprint in original Doom. I didn't realise it existed until way later, it's so fast.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Minigames in most all games.

I don't have the time or patience to invest in any of it.

I love the Yakuza games but end up missing a good chunk of the experience and side missions because i don't want to play darts or race go karts or do karaoke. I'll do them when the story forces me to, but 99% of the time I never ever return to it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles there's that gem crafting mini-game that made no sense even when I used a guide. It just had so many variables along with randomness. You have to pick two party members, and their relationship effects what is produced, then add in some material, then smelt it for a certain length of time, etc.
I just look at stuff like that and wonder who thought that was a good idea

Also any game with a card game inside of it I just can't do. Gwent, Triple Triad, I think there was one in KOTOR.
Maybe someday I'll learn how to play a card-based game correctly, but until then they all just feel like pure luck.
It especially sucks with Gwent since there's probably hours of dialog and quests I just haven't done in that game because I can't wrap my head around it.

It's like with Chess, I can understand the rules of a card game (value of cards, what is good against what, etc), but I don't understand the strategy of how to win.
With so many games becoming card-based these days (great ones even) it just makes me feel worse and worse that I still can't play them.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I love strategy games but I hate micromanaging shit I am galactic emperor why am I building farms on every colony. Give that to a governor. These games should be less micromanage everything more be told suggestions by a council. Like in a 4X space game if you put a assign a Planetary Governor with a trait like "green thumb" he would just to prefer to build farms. Assign different kind of governors and office holders for different purposes. Military Officers ruling sectors on the frontier while commerce focused elected governors in the core worlds. Political parties pushing you to do certain things like declare war or research technology.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Minigames in most all games.

I don't have the time or patience to invest in any of it.

I love the Yakuza games but end up missing a good chunk of the experience and side missions because i don't want to play darts or race go karts or do karaoke. I'll do them when the story forces me to, but 99% of the time I never ever return to it.

Some of the others are fun, but I really dislike all the gambling minigames (which are actually rigged against you) and stuff like mahjong, koi-koi and shogi are impenetrable to a westerner. I played Judgment recently and I'm never going to be able finish the last two side missions because even though they're completely unrelated they're locked behind mastering mahjong and the near-impossible batting minigame.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Grenades or other types of single use combat items where you can only have like 3 of them while the main weapon is mostly unlimited.

It's a fear of wasting them and not having any clue if there's an upcoming mini-boss where I'll need them.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I normally stack up so many consumables in final fantasy games and end up barely using them, especially rare ones like mega exlixir's or w/e.

I do remember though using pots quite a bit in FF7, which I actually felt really comfortable using in the early part of the game. I love the entire materia system as it allows for more balancing and strategy based on characters stats.