• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
- Mantis Lords in Hollow Knight is a really fun fight, testing your reflexes in a rewarding way, without being excessively hard. And I know it's not a mechanic but the music is awesome which always helps.

- Really enjoyed Taron Malicos in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. Playing on Grandmaster, you really needed to master parrying and correct use of Force Powers to win.

- Ys has some fun ones. Chester was an intense boss fight that demanded all of your skills.

- Monster Hunter is pretty obvious. Like, most of them. Zinogre is probably one of the best ones.

1390812-sevenforce02.png

Seven Force in Gunstar Heroes.
Yes!

OP
OP
Jakisthe

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Also MGS1 and 3 deserve mentions
the end in snake eater. There are so many different things u can do
Can't believe I forgot MGS3. The End is an all-time fight; super unique, tons of approaches, and fun secrets if you beat him early.
Those qualifiers in the thread title, lol
Guilty as charged. There's a whole world of bosses out there and like 75% of the ones we talk about come from ~10 games.

Also story related reasons aren't very compelling to hear about unless you've played the game, whereas mechanically inclined stuff is much more interesting.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019
A few from Zelda that stick out to me are Koloktos and Demise from Skyward Sword, and Goht from Majora's Mask N64. (3D version is trash)

beezer

Nov 5, 2017
Final boss in Blazing Chrome is awesome and brutal. Those 3D stages nailed it. And it's brutal even if you play the game with «Continues».

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Kingdom Hearts is full of stellar bosses like the ones mentioned in this thread. I also find a lot of Metal Gear bosses cool in how unconventional they can be gameplay wise. The End from MGS3 comes to mind since while it is not perfect it is just so cool and clever in its use of mechanics.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Quadraxis from Metroid Prime 2 was an amazingly tense and well-designed fight. You had to make very clever use of your equipment and abilities here, all while your energy is slowly being sapped away by the hostile atmosphere. The music is great too - you really feel like a bug about to be stepped on.

(I would link a video of the whole fight but it's just so damn satisfying to figure it out yourself.)

It sucks that Nintendo's been sitting on the Switch port of MP Trilogy for over a year now. Soon as they put it up on the store, that thing is mine.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Kingdom Hearts 2 and 3 data bosses are the best the action genre has right up there with Dark Souls bosses.

KH2 Roxas is probably my favourite.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
FFXIV Knights of the round - Extreme mode

The music and sheer amount of mechanics. Every role has their duty in each phase.

kevXsn6.png

Shinryu and Hades are up there in my favorite list too. They really nailed the big bosses complexity and difficulty.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, OP goofed by failing to omit more mechanically dense action RPGs.

My not-DMC pick goes out to Monster Hunter's Odogarons. God damn I love those things. In a game that has a lot of monsters that feel like they can translate directly into fighting game characters, Odogarons are basically Sabrewulf's/Wolverine's brand of rushdown. They're fast, frenzied wolves that slide and lunge all over the place, mixed in with lots of well telegraphed swipes, bites and feints that's a blast to deal with when they get going and, just like when you're up against a Wolverine or Sabrewulf, it is so god damned satisfying when you get to the point where you can comfortably shut all that crap down because they won't stop hitting buttons.

And then if that wasn't good enough, when they were designing Ebony Odogaron they remembered Akuma existed and gave the thing demon flip fire balls and short range teleports because why not.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
What the hell is NG?

The End in MGS3 is probably my favorite boss fight ever. Quadraxis is one cited by OP that i also like a lot.

I really like Demon Wall (FFIV). Looks kinda simple nowadays, maybe compared with the ones in VII/XII even, but it's so mechanically efficient to create tension. I was terrified fighting this the first time.

Yunalesca im FFX. Love how the zombie status is creatively played here. Tho i hate the mandatory cutscene every time i died D:

Barthandelus 1st fight in FFXIII is so tight, looked impossible at first time but you also learn so much from it.

Trumpeter in SMT Nocturne. I love how this battle makes we counting turns on fingers. I died a lot before i just got a calculator :p

The spoiler final boss in SMTIV: A is just so great and tense as well.

Also the spoiler final boss in Strange Journey, a game where you relied on using demons from the same alignment for damage combo, but suddenly it has a skill that kills every character of the same alignment lol I love how "Now you need to actually learn how to play this game, asshole" this battle is.

The final boss of Devil Survivor 2 while i'm at it. It's just too terrifying from beginning to end.

The final boss in the PSP version of Tactics Ogre. Having to fight clones of your entire team on top of it.

Sigma in Megaman X 5.

Dr Wily in Megaman 3.

Tiamat in La-Mulana

Monster X in Cave Story

Sticked to specific series but i would probably waste entire days on this haha

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
HC Ragnaros and Mimiron are the standouts in my time in wow

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
We discuss bosses a lot on this forum, but they always seem to be kinda similar: they're from character action games, From games, some of the God of War games, or Shadow Of The Colossus.

And for good reason, as those all have some pretty stellar bosses. But I'm curious about the bosses which stand out for gameplay reasons outside of that sphere - time to celebrate the undersung.

For me:
-White Magister Jonathan; Divinity Original Sin 2. Aka the Blackpits fire fight, this is one where things can really get out of hand and while it's a slog, still can stretch underprepared parties to the limit. As usual for DOS2, there are more than a few ways through it, but one thing is almost guaranteed: your machine will chug from all the system interplay.

I hated this fight. Not because of the difficulty but because it goes for so long, it never ends haha. Also if you are doing the quest for the witch you also have to keep her disciple alive, and of course his KI does not seem programmed to maximise his survivability. Nope, quite the opposite lol.

-Quadraxis; Metroid Prime 2. I absolutely love this fight. The lack of light bubbles for so long, is a challenge players rarely have to really face in the rest of the game, the stages are all really varied in how they're approached, and climbing on parts of a boss never gets old.

Yeah, it's a highlight for me too, for the reasons you stated. My second favorite boss fight in the Prime series.

The fight against the black dragon in Baldur's Gate 2. It's a difficult fight that you can take on early in the game, making it even more difficult. Dragons are one of the highlights of BG2. They are cunning, old beings and conversing with them before the fight belongs to my favorite memories of the game.

The last battle of the game against Jon Irenicus. You fight him in hell, where he is summoning a shit ton of high level creatures to make your life difficult. It really tests your mettle. But what makes this fight really memorable is the fact that you can't use your bhaalspawn power to defeat him. It took me quite some time until i realized why i continually lost against him, despite wrecking his summons in my bhaalspawn form.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mechs in Horizon. Some of these things fucked me up real bad, especially those gorilla things in the DLC (in addition to the Stormbird and Thunderjaw) and since this game easily has the best long range combat I've ever seen with perfect controls, in addition to all the traps and different bows/weapons you could use, that's my pick. The visual spectacle of these fights alone is something to behold. On harder difficulties they get even more satisfying.

I like Monster Hunter World for the same reason, but Monster Hunter can feel real weird and sluggish at times which takes away from the experience for me a bit.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
I said this in another thread, but KH2:FM had (at least in endgame) the absolute best and tightest bosses in an ARPG prior to Demons Souls. The timing needed for guarding, dodges and flashy punishes provides some orgasmic feelings of achievement.

KH3 Data battles are startingly close to that quality, with some (like Xigbar and Luxord) even surpassing the originals.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Any of the Chosen from XCOM 2. Not just in an actual combat scenario, but also the way they constantly cause issues for you throughout the campaign, steadily get stronger and show up at the worst possible times until you focus your efforts to tracking them down and finishing them off for good.

3GQCNtIlTvDlD81Fl4ObEuENxmSt0uityMRitBuzVm0.jpg

Last edited:

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah alot of KH2FM and KH3ReMind super bosses are great

Yozora in particular has so many cool ideas about him like being able to steal your items and then use inculding your item that can revival you from one death

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a big fan of most FFXIV bosses. They're complex enough to require some team coordination without being too hard for a bunch of randoms to clear. Sadly, coming into the game with Shadowbringers, a lot o the older content has been made way too easy. Out of the ones I've got too, my favourite so far would probably be Voidwalker (from Eden 2). The Eden version of Titan and 9S-Operated Walking Fortress are also super fun to fight, although they're much more straightforward.

For other games, I also liked the Mordremoth fight in Guild Wars 2. Having the entire map of a hundred plus people fight against a single boss was pretty cool. Sadly, ArenaNet instantly abandoned this sort of grand scale boss design, and the crappy combat of the game made the actual fight itself not all that exciting.

In general I feel like MMOs are the genre that makes by far the most interesting boss fights in terms of mechanics.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I guess I can't wait until KH2FM hits Game Pass this year... sounds like I am long overdue.

Any of the Chosen from XCOM 2. Not just in an actual combat scenario, but also the way they constantly cause issues for you throughout the campaign, steadily get stronger and show up at the worst possible times until you focus you efforts to tracking them down and finishing them off for good.

3GQCNtIlTvDlD81Fl4ObEuENxmSt0uityMRitBuzVm0.jpg

Great suggestion - they really feel like a thorn in your side, and taking them off the board for good is such a rewarding task.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Dunno if turn based counts but Belial, Beelzebub and Lucifer from Devil Survivor 1 both had me at the edge of my seat.

Also any boss fight from TWEWY

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States

Suzaku Extreme in Final Fantasy XIV

XIV has pretty unique bosses all over but this one's my favorite.

In the second phase, the boss arena is divided into 4 sections with a different color in each section. There's a bird on the outside of the arena flying through those colors in a random order. When the bird goes through that color, that part of the arena will erupt into flames and damage anyone standing on it.

So you have to pay attention to the bird and move around the arena while also paying attention to the boss' attacks so you don't get pushed off the edge or pulled into the hole in the center. Super fun fight.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
The Lich King: World of Warcraft.

The culmination of a superb expansion and a fitting end to one of the greatest story arcs in gaming. If you had played WoW and Warcraft 3 + it's expansion, Arthas' arc was crucial to almost the entire lore.

The RP elements were superb, and the way he popped up whilst questing etc meant you were very invested in finally getting to fight him.

When you did, you got a boss encounter which was arguably perfect. A fantastic mix of abilities, 3 phases + transitions which all felt quite different and mechanics which severely tested all three of the main pillars of the raid. Tanking was tricky, needing the tanks to position adds and the boss correctly whilst dealing with HUGE damage. Healing was intense, with massive tank damage and nasty bursts of raid damage in phase 1 and 3 in particular. DPS needed to be red-hot, with high demands of both single target and burst AoE.

It had a superb cutscene and felt exhausting. In my eyes, the greatest MMORPG boss of all time and arguably one of the best bosses in general.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Monster Hunter series. I'm just here to toot the MH horn.
tumblr_mfjb0dkUTx1r0sqjpo1_500.gif

You can pick pretty much most flagships in their respective games and it will be a great fight but MH in general feels very good in the game's mechanics and designs.
-All monsters have various states such as exhausted, enraged etc.
-All monsters have various abilities that can be huge roars, tremors, wind pressure or typical status effects like poison, paralysis, sleep etc.
-Monsters' behaviour and attacks have tells. These cues are not just visual but clear audio cues are something many game fail to deliver.
-The hunt/process is about preparing for a tough boss. Knowing what to bring to the fight, when to be aggressive and when to retreat.
-The best moments in MH is often when things go horribly wrong or horribly right.
-You feel the progress even though there are no character levels, only gear upgrades.
-Visual indicators of fight progress, broken parts, severed tails, smashed faces, drooling, change of colour, limping, etc.
-Monster body parts have different weakness/resistance to DMG types such as blunt/blade/bullets. Aim your weapons but also consider which tool you want to bring to break parts or synergize with team mates.
-Monster resistance build up. Apply stun? It'll take more effort to stun a second time and more again a third etc.
-Palicoes are great.

I haven't even got to the mechanics of the weapons or armor skills to mess with monsters yet.

One of my favourites recently I think is Teostra and Lunastra in MHW. They look intimidating as fuck and have auras of fire that make them hard to approach. They are quick, have a lot of different moves and the sense of danger escalating as the monsters become more and more engulfed in flames is magnificent. Teo's supernova is outright horrifying when it catches you in a bad place. Luna's flame gusts... well, yeah, fuck that move. You prepare to fight them and you are always wary of these attacks which will cart you real quick if caught in it.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
King Thordan Extreme is basically Mechanics: The Fight, and it's just extremely well designed.

Remember when Bard was a caster? The Bad Ol' Days. :^)

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The Lich King: World of Warcraft.

The culmination of a superb expansion and a fitting end to one of the greatest story arcs in gaming. If you had played WoW and Warcraft 3 + it's expansion, Arthas' arc was crucial to almost the entire lore.

The RP elements were superb, and the way he popped up whilst questing etc meant you were very invested in finally getting to fight him.

When you did, you got a boss encounter which was arguably perfect. A fantastic mix of abilities, 3 phases + transitions which all felt quite different and mechanics which severely tested all three of the main pillars of the raid. Tanking was tricky, needing the tanks to position adds and the boss correctly whilst dealing with HUGE damage. Healing was intense, with massive tank damage and nasty bursts of raid damage in phase 1 and 3 in particular. DPS needed to be red-hot, with high demands of both single target and burst AoE.

It had a superb cutscene and felt exhausting. In my eyes, the greatest MMORPG boss of all time and arguably one of the best bosses in general.
It's gonna be hard to ever top that combination of insanely good mechanics combined with the emotions that fight brings out for fans of warcraft lore. I played wow through MoP and that definitely stood as the best boss they've ever created imo

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
The Metal Gear Solid series has great boss fights. Most of them are different in some way and have various ways to defeat them.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Koloktos in Skyward Sword.

SS_Koloktos_Render.png

I know Skyward Sword isn't the most beloved Zelda game in Era's eyes (or most communities' eyes for that matter), but this boss is incredible. Using it's own weapons against it is one of the most satisfying moments in the game, and for me it's the one time that the controls really shine.

Oct 24, 2019
Organization XIII fights from KH 2 were awesome.

Also Saren from Mass Effect, since being able to convince the main boss to kill himself rather than fight at the end was mind-blowing for me at the time.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cerberus in an old alliance raid in ffxiv was neat. A three headed doggo from ff3 fought by three teams of eight. One team will need to get puked on, turn small, and get eaten while everyone else keeps boss and adds occupied. Those not turned small before getting chomped by boss is instant death, which is always hilarious. The snack team needs to start ravaging the stomache until cerby pukes them back out. It gets stunned allowing two people to grab large chains from the arena to chain boss, or it goes berserk wiping the raid.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I5b8YB4.png

Quadraxis is the GOAT for me. A boss that was literally "designed" to combat the actual final boss/villain of the game, and it shows in all of its nuances since you have to use all of your accumulated skills and most of your arsenal to beat it, and on a time table since your health is constantly ticking down. A really good test of skill.

Oct 27, 2017
- Mantis Lords in Hollow Knight is a really fun fight, testing your reflexes in a rewarding way, without being excessively hard. And I know it's not a mechanic but the music is awesome which always helps.

Yeah, this is a good one. Hollow Knight has a lot of cool bosses but this was definitely one of my highlights, and although it felt very difficult at first it's not unreasonably hard.

Elsewhere, as other people have mentioned Zelda and MGS games used to have excellent bosses. I also really like a lot of the bosses in Salt and Sanctuary, mostly the first one The Sodden Knight.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Ffxiv has a lot of good ones. I loved Ultima HM back in the day. T13 and T9 are among my favorites in terms of endgame raids.

Hollow Knight has a lot of good ones. Nightmare King Grimm and his normal version are both great.

Always liked the Star Wolf fights in Star Fox 64.

Donsonite

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Not my favourite from outside of those series, but Magma Dragoon from Mega Man X4 is cool, with all of his Street Fighter attacks. This video is with X but especially fun with Zero.