• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
This part is old news:
From the first GotG, we learn that Eternity, Infinity, Entropy, and Death all exist within the MCU (the markings on the ground in the temple in the opening of the movie where Star Lord finds the Power Orb).

Eternity is the entity that represents time.
Infinity is the entity that represents space.
Death is the entity that represents destruction.
Entropy is the entity that represents the cycle of growth/destruction.

latest

The above four are above immortal cosmic entities that exist within the Marvel Universe, however there is only 1 that has been shown so far, and it is a running Easter Egg that I noticed after re-watching GotG vol 2:

There are currently 5 characters that have actively seen Eternity in the MCU:
Scott Lang
Stephen Strange
Peter Quill
Janet Van Dyne
Hank Pym

Ant-Man sees Eternity during this sequence (it's assumed that Janet and Hank also see Eternity when shrinking infinitely to beyond-microscopic levels):
SilkyIllegalInchworm-size_restricted.gif

Dr. Strange sees Eternity during this sequence:
GaseousEasygoingGaur-size_restricted.gif

Star Lord sees Eternity during this sequence:
3RCMY1g.gif

It clicked for me when Star Lord sees Eternity. Ego shows him his plan for The Expansion - Infinite Growth over all things everywhere that way everything becomes a part of Ego.

The running Easter Egg here is that any time there's any sequence that involves the concept of "lasting forever," Eternity appears.

Ant-Man (+Janet/Hank) shrinks infinitely
Doctor Strange falls through infinite dimensions
Star Lord sees the infinite expansion

It's assumed that the Elders of the Universe (like Collector & Grandmaster) are familiar with Eternity, along with the Celestials (like Ego), and the Watchers are all familiar with the existence of these entities as well (MCU Thanos MAY be familiar with Death, but we haven't had any hint to that aside from the throwaway line at the end of the first Avengers movie). But as far as we know, aside from the Elders, the Celestials, and the Watchers, only the above 5 mortals have encountered the one.

Perhaps a future MCU film like The Eternals can expand on these entities considering that the Celestials are a huge part of their origin.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...Well fuck. That's playing the "larger cinematic universe" game right.

Fiege sees ahead infinitely.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): drive-by
It feels like I've experienced Eternity every time I've watched a Marvel movie recently.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought that was Janet that Scott saw in the Quantum Realm but Eternity makes more sense.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Jeez.... its fucking nuts how Antman decends into a micro universe while Strange ascends to the greater outer universe....

Our reality is nuts.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do we the audience see Eternity, or are you just assuming that the characters do? I can't tell from the gifs if there's a figure being shown or not.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it is curious that on the subtitles for GOTG2 it actually says "Eternity" with a capitalized E, making it be like if it was someone

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Can we just get a screenshot of Eternity and not a gif where we have to look for Waldo?

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So these will just amount to being new infinity stones with different names for a future big bad right

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
You don't see Eternity in its actual form, its the concept of Eternity there. Janet is the embodiment of Eternity in that specific scenario (i.e. She has been down there for an Eternity)
But she hasn't been there for an eternity... are you sure you're not talking about the cosmic being Decades?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I think you should've used images or videos, OP. But I've noticed these eggs myself. Though, I doubt it's gonna build towards anything since it's hard to portray abstracts in live-action (which is why I doubt we'll be seeing Galactus any time soon).

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think Loki saw it when falling after Strange threw him in the portal during Thor 3

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
But she hasn't been there for an eternity... are you sure you're not talking about the cosmic being Decades?

The Quantum Realm is a place that exists between dimensions and isn't affected by time the same way as everything else. She shrunk essentially infinitely until she landed in the Quantum Realm just like Scott did.

I didn't see anything in those gifs. Now I'm just dizzy and annoyed

You're seeing the concept of Eternity, not the being itself.

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
That's some interesting stuff OP, surely-
Oh.

That's Janet shown there, Eternity is represented through her in this scene as Scott infinitely shrinks.

So these will just amount to being new infinity stones with different names for a future big bad right

Nah, these are entities that usually sit outside of meager conflicts. Unless there's crazy multi-verse bending bullshit that occurs then they intervene.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The Quantum Realm is a place that exists between dimensions and isn't affected by time the same way as everything else. She shrunk essentially infinitely until she landed in the Quantum Realm just like Scott did.

You're seeing the concept of Eternity, not the being itself.
Then why not see Infinity? Or Death?

So those characters HAVE not seen Eternity if they only recognize a concept.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Don't see it OP. If so, why would they only have Eternity of the Cosmic beings and not any of the others like Infinity. Especially infinity as she is normally paired with Eternity and is applicable to the current movie title. Maybe they'll show up in endgame as they showed up early in the comics but I think what you've got is just FX flexing and a lot of your own stretch.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That's Janet shown there, Eternity is represented through her in this scene as Scott infinitely shrinks.

Nah, these are entities that usually sit outside of meager conflicts. Unless there's crazy multi-verse bending bullshit that occurs then they intervene.
Eternity and especially Infinite stay out of stuff unless you go looking for them. The lesser anthromorphications usually get involve long before they do. guys like Order and Chaos.
DpAP5paX0AAX3m-.jpg

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
GotG vol 2 directly calls it Eternity out during the scene where Ego shows Peter his plan for the Expansion
That is a weird one. He sees his plans for expansion and sees he wants to rule for eternity. How does Peter even know what this being is? It's like if some person gave you a vision of the universe and you see an energy being and somehow guess its correct name. That's a 1 in eternity chance.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I been thinking, when is Marvel going to go up with the Pym particles? Like shrinking at a certain limit you grow outside the universe into Overspace