• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I remember when the story originally broke but I don't recall it being mentioned that it went on for that long.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I watched the premiere and it was...ok. I don't know if the subject matter is interesting enough for 6 hour-long episodes, though. Plus, the main FBI guy comes off as quite the tool and is not fun to watch or listen to.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Is this available to watch online anywhere in the UK? Is it airing on Netflix or Amazon over here? I remember this story and would love to watch this doc about it - surprised to hear it's a docu-series and not just a one off documentary but I'm more than happy to sit down and watch six hours about a topic I'm interested in.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to remember winning a copy of D2: The Mighty Ducks from this contest.

Excited to get started on the docu series.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the first episode. The series is probably longer than it needs to be.

This episode is basically the FBI becoming aware of the fraud and putting together a plan of attack.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Man, the final reveal at the end there. I never read the article and don't plan on it after this. But holy shit......

May 10, 2019
This was such a crazy story to read and being 100% true made it even better. I'm definitely on board to watch this.

1533676228-mcds.gif

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard about this story until this thread. The first episode was conveniently starting right when I noticed this thread. They had me at "Uncle Jerry."

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Well produced but this is already padded to hell and back, the movie may end up doing a better job of telling the story than this series will.

Still talking heads makes for easy watching while doing other stuff so that's the plan.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Is this available to watch online anywhere in the UK? Is it airing on Netflix or Amazon over here? I remember this story and would love to watch this doc about it - surprised to hear it's a docu-series and not just a one off documentary but I'm more than happy to sit down and watch six hours about a topic I'm interested in.
Did a bit of digging and no date set for a UK airing yet. However, Sky are about to create a new channel called Sky Documentaries and I think this is going to be on there.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I thought it was a great first episode. Really set up a good understanding of the involved main players. Based on what I read on this, there should be a pletheroa of content we haven't seen.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Have not watched the first episode yet but this reminds me of my early career in the printing industry. We printed a TON of promotions for Pepsi... and I worked in the graphics department and actually worked with the third party companies that came in to control security.

So when it is time to print the high value prizes they would bring the specific art with them and sit with me. After I signed my life away they worked with me to add little imperfections that only them and myself knew. Think cutting a period in half ... something you could only really see under a scope. Once done they would have us in graphics go through our process... following me everywhere. When it was sent to plating to start the production part they had a copy and made me delete my files and search over and over our entire system for copies. Crazy thing was IF I wanted I could have easily still screenshot or hid the file but I never did cause holy shit I was scared.

They would follow the job through the process... when you run say a million dollar prize you actually print thousands of them because the press goes that fast (this is pre digital). They would take all of it.. and out the door... but the thing that ALWAYS struck me was just about every one of these people I worked with were right out of college and often interns. They were equality scared for their life and on the phone all day with their boss.. and I remember thinking how easy / tempting it would have been for them to take one of the thousands... nobody knew the exact number and it was all on their honor. Interns... kids with no money.

Another side story about promotions in the printing industry.... you know those square coupons you peel off on 24 packs in the store.. first off they are hand applied at the store by the drivers giving a random factor as far as placement. So we had printed millions of this certain promotion (I think maybe Finding Nemo) and it was a coupon like buy 2 24 packs get $5 back or something like that. Legit coupon... months after we printed we were pulled into a meeting with Pepsi and they were livid... not at us exactly but the fact that they wanted (needed) redemption to be less than 6% and in this case they had a over 30% redemption costing them millions. So we worked on a new glue pattern to make it so you have to cut them out rather than peel... I bet some of you remember that and then take the 24 pack home and never cut that coupon out. It was a glue ring that sealed it only the package. I was just always amazed how little they want redeemed yet they spend so much on the coupons being produced.

Anyways.. excited to watch this series... curious about the details of the story, I never read the article.

Oct 27, 2017
Have not watched the first episode yet but this reminds me of my early career in the printing industry. We printed a TON of promotions for Pepsi... and I worked in the graphics department and actually worked with the third party companies that came in to control security.

So when it is time to print the high value prizes they would bring the specific art with them and sit with me. After I signed my life away they worked with me to add little imperfections that only them and myself knew. Think cutting a period in half ... something you could only really see under a scope. Once done they would have us in graphics go through our process... following me everywhere. When it was sent to plating to start the production part they had a copy and made me delete my files and search over and over our entire system for copies. Crazy thing was IF I wanted I could have easily still screenshot or hid the file but I never did cause holy shit I was scared.

They would follow the job through the process... when you run say a million dollar prize you actually print thousands of them because the press goes that fast (this is pre digital). They would take all of it.. and out the door... but the thing that ALWAYS struck me was just about every one of these people I worked with were right out of college and often interns. They were equality scared for their life and on the phone all day with their boss.. and I remember thinking how easy / tempting it would have been for them to take one of the thousands... nobody knew the exact number and it was all on their honor. Interns... kids with no money.

Another side story about promotions in the printing industry.... you know those square coupons you peel off on 24 packs in the store.. first off they are hand applied at the store by the drivers giving a random factor as far as placement. So we had printed millions of this certain promotion (I think maybe Finding Nemo) and it was a coupon like buy 2 24 packs get $5 back or something like that. Legit coupon... months after we printed we were pulled into a meeting with Pepsi and they were livid... not at us exactly but the fact that they wanted (needed) redemption to be less than 6% and in this case they had a over 30% redemption costing them millions. So we worked on a new glue pattern to make it so you have to cut them out rather than peel... I bet some of you remember that and then take the 24 pack home and never cut that coupon out. It was a glue ring that sealed it only the package. I was just always amazed how little they want redeemed yet they spend so much on the coupons being produced.

Anyways.. excited to watch this series... curious about the details of the story, I never read the article.

Can you make a documentary please?

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the first part earlier. I wonder if they'll just focus on Monopoly and WWTBAM?, or if they'll specifically mention the other peel-and-plays they ran during that time?

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Guy is off his trolley but he's a highlight. Good show. Very interesting. I don't know anything above it. Nice bomb dropped at the end. I'll keep watching. Hopefully 6 episodes are well worth it.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I think Netflix has spoiled me with their docs; I can't really imagine watching this week by week. Sounds amazing but I'm gonna wait til episode 5 is out and rinse them in the week before the 6th airs.

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first episode and the FBI dude in charge (Christopher) looked really familiar. Turns out he's dropped into the gym I work at (in Jacksonville) a bunch of times. He's a super nice guy! Small world.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Guy is off his trolley but he's a highlight. Good show. Very interesting. I don't know anything above it. Nice bomb dropped at the end. I'll keep watching. Hopefully 6 episodes are well worth it.
I knew it was coming cause the article that this was based off was amazing and vivid. But honestly, just watch this doc and don't spoil yourself with the article.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
Just finished episode 1. What a fun show haha. Also it's great hearing the story from this perspective.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I've watched the first two and it's 100% clear they fell in love with the goofy agent for the worst reasons, because it feels like most of the first two episodes are just excuses to have him on screen again to do his schtick. It's really tiring.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I've watched the first two and it's 100% clear they fell in love with the goofy agent for the worst reasons, because it feels like most of the first two episodes are just excuses to have him on screen again to do his schtick. It's really tiring.

They talk about him more on the podcast. It would be hard for TV people to not fall in love with an FBI agent that had a personality like that. He is barely in EP3 if I recall.

OP
OP
alr1ght

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 3 was the first time I felt they were dragging this out by going with 6 episodes. How do these productions usually work? Did HBO give them a 6 episode order before production, or a 6 episode order after they viewed all of the filmed footage?

Mar 3, 2019
Honestly what they should have done is this: Do it as a tv series where it shows the main mcdonalds guy starting before he starts at mcdonalds and then slowly works his way up into the scam and becomes the "mcdonald's kingpin" if you will. basically a "Catch me if you can" or narcos kind of storytelling

Oct 28, 2017
California
Not gonna watch this until Barry season 3 comes out (which I assume will be May). That way when I sub to to HBO I'll be able to watch this along with the latest seasons of Barry and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Max value!

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I'm hooked on this. I like how they were able to get so many people who were involved with the scam to participate in the documentary.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the article it's absolutely amazing how stupid everyone involved was. One family winning like six major prizes. His absurd unprompted stories about coming into money Through sheer luck very soon he hoped

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Reading the article it's absolutely amazing how stupid everyone involved was. One family winning like six major prizes. His absurd unprompted stories about coming into money Through sheer luck very soon he hoped
IIRC, no one in Canada won a single major prize in a decade during the time of the scam. It's pretty clear no one was paying close attention.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017

You telling me you don't fall a sleep at the beech, accidentally get your people magazine wet, and then buy another one?

IIRC, no one in Canada won a single major prize in a decade during the time of the scam. It's pretty clear no one was paying close attention.
Apparently the rigging against Canada was the marketing companies doing not the result of the dude rigging it otherwise.

He said one time the computer program that decided where winning pieces were supposed to be distributed picked a Canadian location, they re ran the program until a US location was picked. It was one of his self justifications for rigging it further.

Last edited:

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Having worked in printing gift cards... yeah. The temptation is there. You're printing a giftcard for a top 3 tech company that you can get access to the pin codes and.... you now have stacks of basically printed money. It would be months before they notice that a card range is gone. Then you remember that you make over 60k a year, and that the 20k worth of cards you would have stolen isn't worth losing your job and ending up in federal prison.