• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Thoughts?

Amazon Link
McFarlane Toys Link for the 3" Figures bundle
McFarlane Toys Link for the 7" Figures bundle

Bundle__59973.1652220684.jpg

BundleV2__97140.1652978113.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain what happened to McFarlane toys? The quality dip has been so immense. I found some old stuff in the attic a few weeks ago and those old sculpts were AMAZING.
The newer figures look like old Kenner dolls in comparison.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Smart tactic to start getting people into the actual comics. DC has done this before with their Blu-Ray releases, packaging Graphic Novels with stuff like The Dark Knight Rises.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
If the reprint comic is marked as a DC Punch Pager, the comic will end up being more expensive as a collectible than the toy.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
are these one of those things where these will be super overpriced at like 25 dollars?

edit: oh 10 bucks I guess that's ok.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this isn't an original idea. The old Toybiz Marvel Legends did this, usually giving you a shitload of accessories and a display base to go with it all for like $8.

I don't really collect at all anymore but MacFarlane quality seems to be in a really weird spot compared to the high standards they used to set. Also, is DC still doing that thing where they don't allow toy guns so every toy comes unarmed with no accessories or has to carry a knife or sword instead?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
There was a version of this with Star Wars way back when too, it was pretty neat, since you'd get two exclusive figures alongside a comic, and they had fun with it. I think we got retro 80s deco figures, Mara Jade, and a bunch of unique Jedi too.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Starting Lineup action figures never really got valuable as some hoped. There are a few rare ones worth a few bucks. The sportscards that came with the toy actually ended up being the valuable collectible.
Can someone explain what happened to McFarlane toys?
They stopped making them, but yeah, they actually did look really good. Again, a few are worth something, but that's another sports action figure that never really turned into a valuable collectible. You can get bulk lots of several players for a couple hundred bucks. They look a lot better than Starting Lineup so McFarlane figures would actually be a fun thing to collect.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
These are hideous in every way but ngl I miss when comics would be included in action figures, but talk about a monkeys paw.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Bleh. I suppose they'd be an easy small gift for a child, but I'm not sure the comic choices really fit.

I'm not a fan of the sculpts, paint, or character/book choices, though. 3 inch figures are such a weird choice, too. Just add the extra .75.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
McFarlane Toys just aren't up to the level of quality they used to be when they were releasing stuff like the old Spawn figures and the Tortured Souls line.

PASS.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain what happened to McFarlane toys? The quality dip has been so immense. I found some old stuff in the attic a few weeks ago and those old sculpts were AMAZING.
I was going to say something similar. I think the sculpts are still pretty decent considering they now have a lot of articulation but the paint jobs seem really basic compared to what they used to do. I thought maybe it was nostalgia, but you checking your old figures reinforces that.

Like I saw they did some Warhammer 40K figures recently and was excited at the idea until I saw the paint jobs and the fact that most of the sculpts were missing a level of detail I expected from them. I thought they were prototypes at first or maybe they were leaning in to the Warhammer custom paint job scene, but these figures suggest otherwise.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

I'm not a toy expert, but if I had to guess I'd probably chalk it up to the Four Horsemen leaving. Four of their superstar sculptors leaving in 1999 had to hurt.

No idea why their paint sucks now, though. They tended to overuse washes in the past, but it brought out the detail of the sculpts better than what they're doing now.