• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eDIGI

Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty upset when they changed them. Was happy again when I moved to the UK and discovered UK McDonalds still does the OG fried recipe. Had one yesterday and it's still awesome.
For a long time there used to be a Walmart with a McDonalds in it that still had them for awhile. When I asked why they were the only ones that had them the guy at the cashier acted like I was an idiot and was like all McDonals had these....then they replaced that McDonalds with a Rallys :(

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Man...when these things are warm they are bussin'
NewMcApplePie_Lead.jpg

I just had one of them a few minutes ago and it was perfect. What a fucking awesome Valentine's Day.

Hot apple pie and vanilla cone.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Iirc bk, a&w, and popeyes have better ones. But to make sure, I'd have to try them all again.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
For a long time there used to be a Walmart with a McDonalds in it that still had them for awhile. When I asked why they were the only ones that had them the guy at the cashier acted like I was an idiot and was like all McDonals had these....then they replaced that McDonalds with a Rallys :(
Damn. I feel for ya. :(
the only McDonald's in the world were you can get this, is at the oldest McDonald's in the world. A fried apple pie.
photo7jpg.jpg
Nah my dude. The UK Maccy D's are still living that fried life.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
You can make fried pies at home. Use a package of Pillsbury Pie Crust Dough. You just have have to fill them up with the your choice of filling. Then fry them.
I like the blueberry and pecan recipes.
southernbite.com

Deep Fried Pecan Pies

Each holiday season, the amazing folks at the Betty Crocker Kitchen select a list of culinary trends they feel will be hot in the coming year. Betty Crocker's Red Hot Holiday Trends is a fun

www.pillsbury.com

Fried Blueberry Pies

Treat your guests to these delicious blueberry pies–dessert that’s made using Pillsbury™ Pie Crusts.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017

I'm told the reason is that those Walmart locations were too small to have the oven for the baked pies, not sure how true that was. But it was true for a while that if you wanted a fried pie a Walmart McDonald's was your best bet in the continental US.

the only McDonald's in the world were you can get this, is at the oldest McDonald's in the world. A fried apple pie.
photo7jpg.jpg

They're actually still fried in Hawaii, too. They have seasonal taro, haupia (coconut pudding), ube (purple yam), and peach mango varieties, too (all fried)...

www.honolulumagazine.com

Why McDonald’s Hawai‘i Has the Only Fried Apple Pies in the Country

Everywhere else in the U.S.|!!| they’re baked.

Last edited:

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
I meant literally. I've had pies a number of times where it was pretty much just crust cause it literally boiled out due to being overcooked.

I've had these a lot. The pie is just dry crust and filling.

This thread just reminded me to order one of these at Popeyes. I had no idea they stopped frying the pies at McDonald's. It's the only thing I eat from there.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
As a UK resident I was about to agree until I saw the photo of whatever ... THAT is.

Fried pies for life. My heart breaks for everyone who can no longer experience them.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
There used to be a McDonald's by me that rebelled against the baked apple pie for many years. At some point in the last couple years they decided to cave and remove the fried apple pie, and I've been mad ever since

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
On the rare occasions I've had one, they've been shrivelled, leathery abominations with the tiny amount of apple filling being hotter than the surface of the sun (resulting in the flavour being less "apple" and more "pain").

Would not recommend.

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
Anytime I'm in Hawaii I grab the fried apple pies. I remember McDonald's brought them back one summer a few years ago but went back to their silly ways. Also other countries have their own spin on the fried pies. Thailand had pineapple pies that were pretty awesome years ago.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington

Did the Rally's replace it in the '90s or more recently? Haven't had Rallies in a very long time.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
Old ones were way better since they were deep fried. New ones are still good, but not as good.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Used to hit the local McD's near my high school and get one of these for lunch once a week. I miss the old ones. The new ones are still good too, but there's nothing like those early 2000's burn the roof of your mouth mickey D's apple pies.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Fried-Apple-Pie.jpg

I'm old enough to remember when McDonalds apple pies were good. That shit they serve now is garbage compared to the fried chunks of magic they used to serve.

Wait, are you telling me that if I were to buy an apple pie at McDonalds these days, I wouldn't get this? What the fuck! When was this changed? Probably 10 years ago? :lol

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Oh, maybe it's regional? I feel like I need to go buy one and see what I get.
I haven't been to the United States since right before Obama was elected, so I wouldn't hold my breath. From what others have said in this thread, they are nowhere to be found in the US but are the standard in UK/AU.

Except that one post above talking about being sold in the "oldest McDonald's" so one of the first locations ever?

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
They are still fried here in Japan (and delicious as always)

www.mcdonalds.co.jp

ホットアップルパイ | メニュー情報 | マクドナルド公式

日本マクドナルドの「ホットアップルパイ」を紹介します。

We get special ones all the time too. Currently a nice chocolate one and creme brulee.

www.mcdonalds.co.jp

ベルギーショコラパイ | メニュー情報 | McDonald's Japan

日本マクドナルドの「ベルギーショコラパイ」を紹介します。
www.mcdonalds.co.jp

クリームブリュレパイ | メニュー情報 | McDonald's Japan

日本マクドナルドの「クリームブリュレパイ」を紹介します。

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I also prefer the deep fried pies they also still serve in my country, but with other filling than apples. Not a huge fan of apple pie if im gonna be honest and i like apples.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
These are absolutely divine, and about the only thing I can say about anything from McD.

17-88494.jpeg