• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
WASHINGTON — Three times in recent weeks, as Republicans grappled with a deadly attack on the Capitol and their new minority status in Washington, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky carefully nudged open the door for his party to kick Donald J. Trump to the curb, only to find it slammed shut.

So his decision on Tuesday to join all but five Republican senators in voting to toss out the House's impeachment case against Mr. Trump as unconstitutional seemed to be less a reversal than a recognition that the critical mass of his party was not ready to join him in cutting loose the former president. Far from repudiating Mr. Trump, as it appeared they might in the days after the Jan. 6 rampage at the Capitol, Republicans have reverted to the posture they adopted when he was in office — unwilling to cross a figure who continues to hold outsize sway in their party.

"Anybody surprised by that vote wasn't paying attention before yesterday," said Senator Roy Blunt of Missouri, a close ally of the Republican leader.

For Mr. McConnell, a leader who derives his power in large part from his ability to keep Republicans unified, defying the will of his members would have been a momentous risk, putting his own post in peril and courting the ire of the far right.

This is why I believed those early reports were BS.

www.nytimes.com

McConnell Was Done With Trump. His Party Said Not So Fast. (Published 2021)

After four years, the minority leader had finally had enough. But with most Republicans rallying around Donald J. Trump, he sided with his colleagues trying to throw out the impeachment case.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I believed those early reports were irrelevant myself. McConnell was always gonna vote with the majority of his party and it was pretty damn obvious where the majority of his party was. Only three Senators even openly called for him to be impeached, the other two of the five might not even vote to convict in the end. People were getting waaay ahead of themselves thinking McConnell was gonna orchestrate a Trump backstabbing to make sure he was disqualified in self interest.

Realmatic1

Oct 27, 2017
Are we truly shocked? They know that the only way they can win moving forward is to ensure Trump is still relevant. They may not nominate him again but they will open their arms up for his kids and relatives who decides to run. Trump helps their turnout otherwise as they saw in GA, when he's not on the ticket, it deflates

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are we truly shocked? They know that the only way they can win moving forward is to ensure Trump is still relevant. They may not nominate him again but they will open their arms up for his kids and relatives who decides to run. Trump helps their turnout otherwise as they saw in GA, when he's not on the ticket, it deflates
The thing will become, will people care about his kids? Plus, I have a feeling he will only talk about himself and not any candidates that he tries to helps lol

Oct 27, 2017
Lame, but the whole thing was that they were damned either way. this path they took just kicks the can down the road. Massively fucked he won't be impeached, but it'll have consequences. Trump can't even talk to his base right now and also has infinite lawsuits coming for him. He peaked and that's all there is to it (knocks on wood)

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
There is no situation ever ever in which McConnell will do the "right thing". Nobody should ever expect this from him, because it will never happen.

Even if there's a report that he will, that report will inevitably turn out to be false/planted leak or something of that kind. I strongly believe he never even intended to vote for removal, this was just his test balloon to find out the real opinions of his caucus.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Trump may be gone and some of his ardent supporters may be done with him for failing to live up to their delusional expectations, but the idea of Trumpism is still extremely relevant to the Republican Party.

Perfect example of this is Tom Rice. No one cared much about his seat before, but since he voted to impeach Trump, all the crazies are coming out of the woodwork saying they want to run against him in the next election.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
unconstitutional to convict a sitting president and unconstitutional to convict a president out of office. 🤔

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Money talks, if the money dries up they won't support Trump right?
Donors are flexing their muscle. Many don't Trump abandoned.

The thing with Trump is that he's pretty much a charlantan--shocker!

He satisfies the ravenous cultists, but he is also very effective to the big donors. But the cult stuff keeps his folks distracted. He was incredibly dangerous. Look at the COVID19 response.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
So Trump 2024 is back on, with Lara and Ivanka in the House/Senate in 2022? Nightmare fuel.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The thing will become, will people care about his kids? Plus, I have a feeling he will only talk about himself and not any candidates that he tries to helps lol

Remains to be seen, but it never feels like people took to his kids all that much even though you can tell there was a real push to try and put them front and center on a few occasions. We won't know until one of them actually runs for something, but my general guess would be no. As mentioned above, Trump himself was able to do some incredibly things, and when he was directly on a ticket, people really would flock to him. But we saw time and time again that anyone who wasn't Trump could never muster that support even if he put his support behind them. His people want him, and pretty much no one else. It may be different for his kids who share his name, though, we'll just have to wait and see.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think with regards to his kids, Jnr is just too much of a coke addict, bank/suit tosser and Ivanka is the fake pure heart play nice one but neither could really pull off the pure vile and hate out in the open that his voters crave. Trump is basically a mirror of them and his kids don't have that.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So Trump 2024 is back on, with Lara and Ivanka in the House/Senate in 2022? Nightmare fuel.

I really don't see Trump running again in 2024, I think the R's strategy is to hope the Trump problem goes away on it's on by 2024. People are still to raw on Trump energy to impeach him without fracturing the party permanently.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Party of cowards, fascists and terrorists. And now it's not just aimed at minorities and women anymore!

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans are kinda stuck right now. On one hand, they probably don't want Trump around, but on the other hand, they don't want to tell their voters they (the voters) were wrong.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Party of cowards, fascists and terrorists. And now it's not just aimed at minorities and women anymore!
Yep. If they want to keep courting the dude who used a mob of their dangerous & armed loony constituents to brutalize them for the crime of barely crossing him, they've earned every horrible destiny coming for them either individually or for the party as a whole. Truly I had no sympathy for the party for years now but any puddle I might have had has turned into a barren desert. If they want to be craven cowards & hypocrites then let them be hunted, harassed, terrorized & worse by the fruits of their own inhumanity.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
What I don't understand is...the writing is on the wall. Trump is toxic and becomes more toxic everyday. Biden won. We gained majority in the senate but they still insist on following the trump train off the steep cliff? Are they all that stupid or just desperate?

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Remains to be seen, but it never feels like people took to his kids all that much even though you can tell there was a real push to try and put them front and center on a few occasions. We won't know until one of them actually runs for something, but my general guess would be no. As mentioned above, Trump himself was able to do some incredibly things, and when he was directly on a ticket, people really would flock to him. But we saw time and time again that anyone who wasn't Trump could never muster that support even if he put his support behind them. His people want him, and pretty much no one else. It may be different for his kids who share his name, though, we'll just have to wait and see.
I think the Trump kids are absolutely dead in the water, politically speaking. Jr is a coked-up moron, Ivanka tried to play to the non-cultists and thus lost favor with the people drinking the Kool-Aid, and nobody remembers Eric exists.

Donald Trump, for all his apparent stupidity and failure, is a masterful cult leader. His kids don't have the same charisma.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand is...the writing is on the wall. Trump is toxic and becomes more toxic everyday. Biden won. We gained majority in the senate but they still insist on following the trump train off the steep cliff? Are they all that stupid or just desperate?
Desperate. They're terrified of Trump starting a 3rd party and they NEED his base. There's no Republican Party without Trump's cult.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I still think Trump's considering syphoning their voters and make a new party altogether tbh.

He's dumb as fuck for sure but he can hold a grudge being that he believes they "betrayed" him.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Desperate. They're terrified of Trump starting a 3rd party and they NEED his base. There's no Republican Party without Trump's cult.
It is really telling the Republicans are desperate to keep those terrorists. Perhaps the GOP should be deemed a terrorist organization too.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is impeaching Trump a waste of time? What are the chances he lives to run in '24 at 78 years old?

I'd rather Dems spend all the energy on a progressive agenda and push great things out as fast as possible.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I had always thought that Mitch might try and pull some face saving move. By excising trump he could say "see! Look! That's not the REAL GOP, just one guy! Give us power back to show you"

It would all be a farce, but a move to pull to save political face. Instead, he retreated into his shell and is now whining some more. Same turtle.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear more than ever that Trump himself is just an avatar for the Trump voter. I think we've distilled this down over the last four years to "They're afraid of a mean tweet," which they are, but it's more than that, they're afraid of the mob that gets motivated and it can be motivated through a mean tweet or something else now that Trump is off of Twitter and has no real effective way to reach out to his masses in the same way.

This is why Republicans won't be able to censure Marjorie Taylor Greene, just a single freshman congressman from a rural district, for harrassing a victim of a school shooting and shouting that he's a crisis actor, or for trying to plan the assassination of other members of congress. Republicans are going to hem and haw about this like they did with Trump... Not because theyr'e afraid of MTG anymore, but they're afraid of and usually side with their base. They know their future in office requires this mob of crazies that probably make up .... maybe only 10% of their actual electorate, but are capable of motivating 20-30% of it.

The shit with Mitch was pretty predictable. When he was said to support impeachment, I absolutely believed (And still do) that it was misreported or misunderstood. That Trump signalling to members of the House that he supported impeachment wasn't an indication that he would vote to convict Trump in the Senate, but that he just supported the House impeachment of Trump, he supported them doing that even though he would ultimately exonerate Trump or not be able to amass a bloc against him in the senate. McConnell's vote will show us how much of a spine he has to stand up to his own mob, which I suspect is not very much. I expect he'll balk and join his GOP base in the senate, call it a witchhunt or an overreach of power, use it to hold up Biden's legislative agenda, and make the narrative that "Democrats don't want to lead for the American people, they're obssessed with Trump who isn't even in office anymore."

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Expected. The GOP has been radicalized by decades of BS and fearmongering.

The question is my mind is if the dems dare use this huge club and batter the GOP with it?
I mean if they want to keep Trumpism then make it a fucking chain around their necks.
There must be thousands of illicit stuff that his administration has done.
Just put that shit on blast.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans last party platform with any meaningful change was in '08 and they lost. They could have turned more moderate, but instead let the Tea Party run rampant. They could have walked away from alt-right whispers after losing in 2012 with an even smaller platform, and doubled down. They tried their last flailing effort in 2016 and could have split the party then, but they all fell in line. This is the pattern and it's not changing. They have to be squashed at every turn.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The thing I don't understand is that they had a base, and a better one at that, before Trump. Why don't they at least try to dial down the crazy and become a normal party again? That seemed to be what McConnell wanted but the rest of the GOP is too cowardly to fight back.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans are terrified of losing his supporters but also don't want to be tied to a vote to acquit him. Tough situation for awful people.

I bet Mitch is back home in his mountain lair sacrificing a goat to ensure Trump dies in the next 3 years.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
The tail has been wagging the dog for a long time in the GOP and I don't think that party has the ability anymore to moderate itself. Its base is now completely living in its own reality and any attempts to bring it back to earth are met with vitriol and the threats of violence. Fox News learned this by doing something as simple as calling elections as their numbers indicated.

It will probably get to the point where the crazy won't win it enough elections and the GOP is faced with reforming itself or living in irrelevance. Of course it seems likely more coups or insurrections would happen as they realize they can't win power by voting. Their base has shown it is fine with that as long as it is their side doing it.

Oct 26, 2017
The thing I don't understand is that they had a base, and a better one at that, before Trump. Why don't they at least try to dial down the crazy and become a normal party again? That seemed to be what McConnell wanted but the rest of the GOP is too cowardly to fight back.
That's not how populism works. Once you dial to 11, you need to go louder in order to keep it together.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody cares about republicans unless trump is actually on the ballot, just saying his name does nothing for them but most likely motivates the dem to come out and vote against them

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Crazy how republicans will bend over backwards for Trump just because he ran as a republican. I know a lot of republicans who trash talked him during his entire presidency but still supported him because he wasn't a democrat.

Sigh.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Its sucks, because no one can mobilize Republicans like Trump and they need that voter mobilization so his stink will linger.

Luckily, no one can mobilize Democrats like Trump can

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Everyone in here's acting like they're political savants.
It should be shocking how much influence McConnell has lost to Trump.