• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dragonborn

Oct 30, 2017
What's funny is I'm almost certain the republicans will just nuke the filibuster themselves as so as they have control and start passing all sorts of backwards, regressive policies. They won't think twice about it

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
What's funny is I'm almost certain the republicans will just nuke the filibuster themselves as so as they have control and start passing all sorts of backwards, regressive policies. They won't think twice about it
Nah, the Republican game plan is to have as many judges and justices possible so that they can undeniably pass regressive shit. They don't even need to do anything, the courts will do it for them.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If they have full control yes because at that point if they lose the presidency 4 years later they just won't certify the results (aka we'll be a full on fascist dictatorship and they'll do as they please).

I've seen in this thread Republicans have no reason to get rid of the filibuster because they mainly just want to maintain the status quo/obstruct the Dems.

Well, if they aren't going to give control back to Dems that will change. They'll be all aboard their fascist, backwards, terroristic agenda.

More than that it won't even come to having to not certify a Dem winning the presidency, if we don't protect the elections in the states with voting legislation they'll just rig the game in enough states that they can't possibly lose. We'll basically just be a tweaked version of any other autocracy that has "elections." They will largely achieve this by calling into question actually free and fair elections and replacing them with rigged elections in their favor in perpetuity, and half the country won't realize the hypocrisy, or worse, actively support such a system.

This is the republican gameplan. It's been in progress for decades and vastly accelerated over the last 4 years, and they are passing legislation in the states they need to as we speak to ensure they don't lose again. The leader of their party just 5 months ago nearly succeeded in a huge shortcut into enacting this plan. It's pretty obvious what their plan is.

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Rs will want that level of control for a bit. What they'll do is just continue to tighten the grip and undermine things more.

as it stands they benefit from an "outside" threat so the Dems will be pumped up as the next Stalin while having all the bite of a kitten. A punching bag. A stepping stone.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

Fortunately, I don't think you can get a Republican majority to agree on anything other than Supreme Court justices. Their own small tent still has a number of divides when it comes to actually passing legislation.

It's just that doing absolutely nothing has always been more of a Republican thing than a Democratic thing so they're inherently benefited by gridlock.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once they get hold of the voting apparatus, undermining time is over. It's pure control at that point so there's no reason to stand back. Can't lose power anymore.

Yep, and they are well on the way. They can just not certify Dem wins in AZ, GA, and TX. TX Dems arguably would have won if absentee ballot applications had been sent out in Harris county as planned. They'll get more states to be unwinnable for Dems as time goes on. Once they can't lose a presidential election through their rigging the game is over and they'll do as they please. Or, even if they do lose and they have a house majority we've already seen they are willing to throw out the results. If we don't protect the elections the GOP will continue to abuse the system until they can't lose. It's happening right now. If the GOP wins the presidency in 2024, well, good luck, they won't lose again.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
User Banned (1 Month): Misrepresenting Moderation; Multiple Prior Bans for Inflammatory Posting
Also kinda nuts that everyone is one the "retire Breyer" train when mere mention of it (for RBG) spawned tons of Twitter hate. Messed up, but he should retire like she should have.
When I dared to imply on this forum that RBG's hubris outweighed her desire to work in the interest of the country, I took a month-long ban for it.

It'd be nice to have some guidelines on how exactly to express our disapproval and concern on this in the future. There are so many absolutely stupid factors in this morbid waiting game the country plays with lifetime appointments on the Supreme Court, over and over again.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. You get a charismatic right wing populist with a anti corporate/oligarch agenda and you will have yourself a dictator America.

The working class is up for grabs, there's no doubt about it. And dems are dropping the ball

Honestly with the way things are going Republicans might not even need to do all the voting law bullshit to run away with a ton of wins.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly with the way things are going Republicans might not even need to do all the voting law bullshit to run away with a ton of wins.

Yeah no. They would have likely lost Texas without the bullshit they pulled in Harris county on not allowing absentee ballot applications to be mailed out. Voter supression isn't a new phenomenon. They've been doing it for decades in red states.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Mehdi Hasan is, as always, spot-on.

Absolutely fucking infuriating Dems are sitting around twiddling their thumbs and shrugging their shoulders as the GOP are busy laying the groundwork for minority rule and stolen elections day in, day out to the tune of Manchin's obstruction. We busted our asses last fall and overcame Trump's naked fascism for this?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Nah, the Republican game plan is to have as many judges and justices possible so that they can undeniably pass regressive shit. They don't even need to do anything, the courts will do it for them.
That's McConnell's game plan.

You really haven't seen any changes in the party in the last two years or so? How long do you think Mitch stays the Senate leader? Who do you think is going to replace him? Because I'd bet any money it is somebody that is on the record for backing the Big Lie.

Granted he's only 79. He will probably be around in the senate for another 10 years if not more. But eventually, he'll retire.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
They had no problem kicking that Supreme Court judge to the curb during trumps term and he just stepped down without putting up a fight. Breyer is going for 100 years old.

Also does anyone remember that hopium on January 6th that quickly died the same night.