• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
I don't usually comment on non-gaming topics, but this is crazy. 600 will do next to nothing for those already struggling. Sad.

Oct 30, 2017
The approval of the checks being based on voting for an election is exactly how democracy works in practice: Do whatever it takes within the rules to get and stay elected. The extent of the rules being, of course, not the actual regulations and laws but whatever actions your electorate will tolerate to get more of what they want.

Edit: I guess I'm shocked that this is surprising to some people. Did anyone really think most serious political leaders are able to stick to their real ideologies without having to defer to political realities?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Are they going to charge people the $600 when they fill out their taxes? If so I ain't touching that shit.
I'm sure it'll be like last time where the only people who have to pay it back are those that make over $75,000 a year. Even then, it'll be less of a payback the closer to that number you make.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
So is this actually happening? Same blanket cash as last time? UI is much more important but I could use a few hundred to help with holiday expenses. The folks that need it to pay rent and put food on the table are obviously more important and it's gross real help hasn't come yet.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
So is this actually happening? Same blanket cash as last time? UI is much more important but I could use a few hundred to help with holiday expenses. The folks that need it to pay rent and put food on the table are obviously more important and it's gross real help hasn't come yet.
It's looking like something is going to pass, could be some last minute fuckery to throw the whole thing in the garbage tho. It's also unlikely we will see it soon if something is passed.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if the democrats had any kind of messaging apparatus, they could begin crucifying the GOP with this. First they didn't want anything, and now they want a meager 600? Would you rather get 600 or more?

Unfortunately, I have very little faith in the (nearly nonexistant) DNC messaging apparatus

They do. Every day prominent Democrats beat that drum.

Nobody listens, and turn around and blame Democrats for Republican obstruction. Dems have had stimulus checks in a bill that passed the House back in May, and the Republicans picked up House seats for their effort.

Just not enough people care.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I mean, I'll take a $600 check, but lol at it actually doing anything meaningful. $600 is about what my paychecks were at my previous minimum wage job

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
So how's things going in Georgia? Any chance we take the senate?

Damn this would be a perfect way to start next year after the shitshow that was 2020...

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how Republican voters can fuck themselves (and everyone else) so much by electing these fuckers. Imagine paying your taxes and your country giving you back $600 and going "yeah, that's enough". Just like insurance companies trying to screw you after you've paid into it on time year after year.

Last edited:

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Even just $600 would be near life changing to me right now. That doesn't change the fact that $600 is such a smack in the faces to millions who have struggled for so many months now. So ghoulish that so many in congress love to make the poor suffer. It's tragic that this amount is most likely what they are going to settle with.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
That won't even pay rent, may barely cover utilities, will probably at least cover food depending on family size and how old the kids are because teenagers in the midst of puberty will inhale food like theres no tomorrow.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Epd2_28U0AAUKhL.jpg

Epd2_3MUwAA7BoQ.jpg

Imagine publishing this shit.

Shelter, food, or medication?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Reps don't want people to get paid to do nothing again, it's fucking sickening.

Also that CNBC article, boomers still follow that shit and those talking heads want younger gens to follow that shit and it's maddening.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Reps don't want people to get paid to do nothing again, it's fucking sickening.

Also that CNBC article, boomers still follow that shit and those talking heads want younger gens to follow that shit and it's maddening.

Had they did that the first time we would probably be doing a hell of a lot better and on our way back to normal. We're endlessly doing this shit for the rich day in and out and thats before there was any kind of disaster or pandemic. When its the poor and middle class people's turn in hard times suddenly theres no money.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Doubt he does it, they will be guilted by Repubs about the national debt.
That the repubs made? Also the entire point is that it's within his power to do an EO that forgives federally held college loan debt(not all), and would be a massive economic boost that can't be blocked

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Awesome, this and medicare4All would make Biden presidency amazing.
All it takes is an executive order, it's one of the few things he could do for the economy with a hostile senate. Federal loans only of course. But it'd be a huge impact.

However there are no sure things and it could not happen. Time will tell. But I'd go look up the thread if you want the bigger picture

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
They should go further and make Guam, American Samoa and the Virgin Isles individual states if their people voted for it.

No taxation without representation.

No kidding. That said, at this point there shouldn't be these non-democratic special zones within democratic nations. Either you are apart of the country and recieve all of the rights and responsibilities of that position. Or you are your own country. And if you are too special of a region for the country to just give up, you should again be given the full rights and responsiblities of that position.

There really should be zero inbetween room here.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm expecting Trump to veto the bill and say "fuck no" to spite McConnell over the "congratulations" comment to Biden on the election.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Food, shelter, meds

Choose 1

Off to a hell of a start with that suggestion.

More winning advice, for FREE, from the source:

Ugh, the exceptionalism is nauseating

How out of touch......companies cannot claim you as a part-timer if you work that many hours. Gamestop management forced me out the door at 39 hours to keep me "part time." (Despite me being a full time ASM? It was weird.)

Unless she's talking about about people complaining about salaried jobs that are viewed low on the totem pole (like managers of said stores) and then that's just a different type of privilege.

Well whatever. Fuck that pic.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
$600 is a fucking joke, and the fact that it's more than the $0 I've expected speaks to how useless our government is. Republicans are a cancer and half the Dems are useless rot.

House minority leader is pushing for it if I remember right. And if they don't win the senate they have very few options. And I think it was just the first 50k. There's a thread on it
Biden has been opposed to forgiving any amount of student loan debt since the primaries, and AFAIK, he has not changed his position on that yet.

He absolutely could do so via executive order, but he won't because he's a pretty conservative Dem and a piece of shit in general.

Warren and others have been pushing hard for it, to the point that even Chuck Schumer is on board, but it's ultimately up to Biden changing his mind. You would think it's an easy win that would help boost enthusiasm and morale for one of the party's most important voting bloc, but Biden is, again, a piece of shit who's displayed open contempt for young people plenty of times during the election cycle, so I'm not holding my breath.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For the record, pubs just attached a rider to the bill that would basically neuter the fed from doing emergency lending. This be dying.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't the wider bill include extended and expanded unemployment and other benefits? Why is everyone so fixated on the direct checks again? Most countries did their support solely through such schemes with no direct payments at all.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This is why "something" wasn't better than nothing. There was a very hard push for democrats to cave on anything so that people could get help.
600 dollars versus corporate protection, and likely millionaires again getting more money was not worth the flinch.

600 and you're still homeless. Big win.

Dems messaging is terrible. Im seeing how this is being spun as Nancy Pelosi's fault, that she just wanted to give people 600 dollars. The republican messaging machine is awesome. They never have any responsibility so you have republicans and democrats blaming democrats.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Doesn't the wider bill include extended and expanded unemployment and other benefits? Why is everyone so fixated on the direct checks again? Most countries did their support solely through such schemes with no direct payments at all.
It offers a small extension to UI at half the rate as before. Stimulus checks are just that. While people working are in a better position than those that aren't, they're still incurring increased costs for things and disruptions that might cause things to become more expensive. Stimulus is vitally important too.

I'd also bet other countries have better existing safety nets by default that people could take advantage of. We really don't have that.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It offers a small extension to UI at half the rate as before. Stimulus checks are just that. While people working are in a better position than those that aren't, they're still incurring increased costs for things and disruptions that might cause things to become more expensive. Stimulus is vitally important too.

I'd also bet other countries have better existing safety nets by default that people could take advantage of. We really don't have that.
Here they just extended unemployment benefits and sickness leave and made it so you could also back-claim them in addition to a salary support scheme.

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
Some people who's crying about the direct checks aren't on unemployment...simple check for them to buy shit.

Aug 12, 2019
The fucked up part is that it will almost certainly work too.

But yeah $600 is absolutely nothing and extremely few people on either side of the aisle have any real understanding of money anymore.