• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Have the sony xbr x800d which does not seem to support 1440p, unless I am mistaken, but so far there have been noticeable improvements in the games I've tried on Switch. Have the mcable passed through a soundbar and in turn through an old mclassic which is probably not smart but the IQ improvements are obvious nonetheless.

Breath of the Wild and Zelda remake both look incredible, particularly the latter. Kind of want to pick up Skyrim and DQXI and see how they fare.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw a post from Marseille Inc saying that they're expecting to ship all backer's mClassic next week, and to send them an email if yours haven't shipped by mid-week. The wait is so hard LOL

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
I asked this in the hdmi cable thread, but what resolution shoukd I set my switch to when docked? If I set it to auto, will 1080 games send a 1080 signal and vice versa for 720?

What"s the negative with setting the resolution higher than a game should output in?

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I asked this in the hdmi cable thread, but what resolution shoukd I set my switch to when docked? If I set it to auto, will 1080 games send a 1080 signal and vice versa for 720?

What"s the negative with setting the resolution higher than a game should output in?
Auto just sets it to the highest supported resolution(max 1080p) of your screen. If the game is native 1080p, set in 1080p, if the game is at or in between 720p and 1080p, set in 720p. But you can leave it at 1080p and it's still gonna clean up the aliasing anyway, it just does it better if you set it at 720p for lower res games. That's what I understood from all I've read anyway

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
For people that can't have 1440p, can you try to put the TV in pc mode ? I know that my TV see the résolution 1440p like a pc résolution. Maybe this can be a solution ? ( I don't have it yet to try )

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Auto just sets it to the highest supported resolution(max 1080p) of your screen. If the game is native 1080p, set in 1080p, if the game is at or in between 720p and 1080p, set in 720p. But you can leave it at 1080p and it's still gonna clean up the aliasing anyway, it just does it better if you set it at 720p for lower res games. That's what I understood from all I've read anyway

Thanks. I wondered if there was a best setting for the Switch to be left on, in case setting it to a higher res drained battery life or something.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
For people that can't have 1440p, can you try to put the TV in pc mode ? I know that my TV see the résolution 1440p like a pc résolution. Maybe this can be a solution ? ( I don't have it yet to try )
I think the issue is graphics cards show resolutions which aren't natively supported by the display. My TV shows 1440p under the nvidia control panel, but if I select it the TV doesn't actually output at 1440p, it still says its 4k on the TV output status. Unlike 1080p which does actually show up as 1080p on the TV. I checked rtings and they mentioned 1440p/60 isnt supported on the TV, so thats that.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone with two of these daisy chained them to see what its like? The company says it should work.
Has anyone with two of these daisy chained them to see what its like? The company says it should work.
I've been messing around with it. I dont like the look of 2 in a row. It rounds all the fonts and makes the words look like comic sans. It makes the image very soft. And somehow. DQ's grass was still aliasing like crazy.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
I bought the cable version of the dongle everyone is talking about right now for my switch and I didnt have a good time with it. I have an LG oled 4k tv and wanted my switch games to look a little better but this thing wont output to 4k unless i set the switch to 720p only, and thats only for 30fps. If you a game is 60fps, it can only upscale to 1440p and because its working off of a lower resolution, the final image results are negligible. I'd rather play a game at 900-1080p with no-AA than an upscaled 720p with AA. It also just made all UI/dialog text look weird and curvy.

Now its my most expensive hdmi cable in the cable bin.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Well I just tried the mclassic with Gamecube games through Nintendont on a Wii U at 720p, it did a really good job to be fair, and removed a ton of aliasing.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the cable version of the dongle everyone is talking about right now for my switch and I didnt have a good time with it. I have an LG oled 4k tv and wanted my switch games to look a little better but this thing wont output to 4k unless i set the switch to 720p only, and thats only for 30fps. If you a game is 60fps, it can only upscale to 1440p and because its working off of a lower resolution, the final image results are negligible. I'd rather play a game at 900-1080p with no-AA than an upscaled 720p with AA. It also just made all UI/dialog text look weird and curvy.

Surely the old cable should also support you selecting 1080p instead of 720p on the Switch like this dongle does...? You should still get some visual benefits with it set to 1080p.

Neither the mClassic or the old cable was ever going to upscale to 4k due to the HDMI 1.4b bandwidth limitation. The max of HDMI 1.4b is 4k30 as you already found out. Not sure why the mClassic doesn't use HDMI 2.0 really, it's a weird limitation considering we're nearly on HDMI 2.1 now lol. That said I'm not too bothered about it on my TV. My TV does pretty good upscaling from 1080p to 4k anyway.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Any idea if this dongle can connect to an HDMI splitter hub so that you only need 1 to output to the tv while say 4 hdmi devices feed it video @720p?(1 at a time obviously)

I'm thinking of using an hdmi splitter I have to connect my ps4, future wiiu and anything else then the Mcable dongle takes the feed to the tv via an hdmi cable. Hope that makes sense.

I kinda dont want to buy multiple of these and also dont want to be constantly switching this dongle between these classic systems. Having the plugged into an hdmi splitter would mean any source connected to it would output the improved video.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Any idea if this dongle can connect to an HDMI splitter hub so that you only need 1 to output to the tv while say 4 hdmi devices feed it video @720p?(1 at a time obviously)

I'm thinking of using an hdmi splitter I have to connect my ps4, future wiiu and anything else then the Mcable dongle takes the feed to the tv via an hdmi cable. Hope that makes sense.

I kinda dont want to buy multiple of these and also dont want to be constantly switching this dongle between these classic systems. Having the plugged into an hdmi splitter would mean any source connected to it would output the improved video.

It'll work fine.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

As far as I know, yes, it's possible, however bear in mind this doesn't support 4K/60 nor HDR so it will limit your PS4 output.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
^^

Thanks. I will get one to try it out. I still do tons of ps3 gaming. Also my ps4 will remain separate as I understand it doesn't do jack for 1080p sources.

Edit: am I crazy or was there a 20% sale on these a few days ago? I thought I saw them for like 70 bucks. Now its 98 bucks. Oh well gonna hold off.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
^^

Thanks. I will get one to try it out. I still do tons of ps3 gaming. Also my ps4 will remain separate as I understand it doesn't do jack for 1080p sources.

Edit: am I crazy or was there a 20% sale on these a few days ago? I thought I saw them for like 70 bucks. Now its 98 bucks. Oh well gonna hold off.
It works on 1080p sources.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
^^

They had it cheaper while the indiegogo campaign was running. Now the campaign has ended its possibly back to full price.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The dongle does a decent job with upscaling and applying AA to Fire Emblem. Doesn't do a ton for games using TAA which isn't too unexpected. Those already take care of edges well and this was unlikely to do much to counter the blur it causes as a result.

The dongle with processing on does cause the games colors to become washed out though. Seems to be because RGB range was set to Auto and defaulted to Limited. Changing to Full fixed it. I think Limited might be correct for my display without the dongle. If I manually change to full without processing some things get way too dark.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
By the way are people using the dongle on the correct settings for specific games, there's two or three modes depending on the type of game.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
OK, I had a feeling that there was no way it would look good.
I think the screen flickering is one of my mclassics is faulty. I have 3 total. One for each switch dock in the house and one for psvr.

Running two together makes marvel ultimate alliance 3 look better, I think.

But I think there are some seriously diminishing returns. The higher res the content, the less effect you get. So the 2nd dongle is already being fed a 1440p altered image, switching the 2nd one on and off makes it hard to see a difference.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
The dongle does a decent job with upscaling and applying AA to Fire Emblem. Doesn't do a ton for games using TAA which isn't too unexpected. Those already take care of edges well and this was unlikely to do much to counter the blur it causes as a result.

The dongle with processing on does cause the games colors to become washed out though. Seems to be because RGB range was set to Auto and defaulted to Limited. Changing to Full fixed it. I think Limited might be correct for my display without the dongle. If I manually change to full without processing some things get way too dark.
It's because the dongle uses YUV 4:4:4 colour format which expects full colour information, so you'd want to set it to full on the Switch.

That said the majority of TVs you can select RGB range it's just called black level instead.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I think the screen flickering is one of my mclassics is faulty. I have 3 total. One for each switch dock in the house and one for psvr.

Running two together makes marvel ultimate alliance 3 look better, I think.

But I think there are some seriously diminishing returns. The higher res the content, the less effect you get. So the 2nd dongle is already being fed a 1440p altered image, switching the 2nd one on and off makes it hard to see a difference.
I've actually had that screen flickering issue randomly with the normal mcable but a reboot of the Switch usually fixes it. I was more concerned that running it through two different anti-alaising tools would look terrible due to over-softening and it kind of sounds like that's happening.

Roto64

Oct 27, 2017
Well I just tried the mclassic with Gamecube games through Nintendont on a Wii U at 720p, it did a really good job to be fair, and removed a ton of aliasing.
I tried the mCable gaming edition with my GameCube with the HDMI adapter and it looks amazing. It really helps with PS2, OG Xbox and GameCube gen games. I also use it with my Dreamcast through an OSSC. I think it helps older games to look more pleasing on modern displays.

Roto64

Oct 27, 2017

I have the same TV you have and use the dongle with my Switch. I think it looks great. I just leave the switch at 1080p and I like what it does for the games. The colors look vivid set on full range but I don't pay much attention to what resolution it's running at.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've actually had that screen flickering issue randomly with the normal mcable but a reboot of the Switch usually fixes it. I was more concerned that running it through two different anti-alaising tools would look terrible due to over-softening and it kind of sounds like that's happening.
It definitely isnt worth buying 2 to intentionally daisy chain.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh baby, I received the email confirming that it's shipping, it's finally happening

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I've seen that flickering issue with my single mclassic on the Switch. It's like an image shifting glitch. Hoping it won't become more prominent.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Hi....I just found out about this , just now...

does this work for PSVITA TV?

How much is it?

Has Digital Foundry confirmed if they will make a video on it?

How does it look with say pixelated games like castlevania sotn, no difference?

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I've been daisy chaining since the thing arrived and haven't had any issues, the flickering might be a unit-specific problem? Not sure.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I got my notification today, the bastards got my post code (zip code) completely wrong! Like not even in the realms of a spelling mistake!

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
How anyone noticed any difference with turning off the processing, vs not having the mcalssic connected at all? just wondering if there was any difference.

I made a quick video showing the difference with processing on vs off, my capture card is able to pick up the 1440p signal from the mclassic.

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Hi....I just found out about this , just now...

does this work for PSVITA TV?

How much is it?

Has Digital Foundry confirmed if they will make a video on it?

How does it look with say pixelated games like castlevania sotn, no difference?
It should work with the PSTV. I remember seeing an official video on youtube where they were demoing the Vita version of Borderlands 2