• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Right?? It's a great engine/chassis/platform but the convertible only thing just makes it unusable for me. Would be great if they gave us more options based on the RWD chassis.
I can't stand how averse to 2 door hatchbacks the car makers are in the US. I understand that it is most likely not worth it profit wise, but ever since Ford brought the Fiesta to the states as a 4 door only (and particularly the Fiesta ST) when they have the Focus already annoys the crap out of me.

VW no longer has the 2-door option for the GTI anymore either right?

Anyway, that's most likely why we won't see a fixed hard top version of the Miata :(

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Had an MX-5 for 17 years, would unquestionably buy again if I ever need a car. And I drove in the snow.

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Right?? It's a great engine/chassis/platform but the convertible only thing just makes it unusable for me. Would be great if they gave us more options based on the RWD chassis.

yea, as niche as it already is, and these sports coupe partnerships seem to be the new norm, more options seems sadly unlikely. I have the RF now and I'm would love a 2D Hatch like that. Closest is what? Veloster N maybe?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
yea, as niche as it already is, and these sports coupe partnerships seem to be the new norm, more options seems sadly unlikely. I have the RF now and I'm would love a 2D Hatch like that. Closest is what? Veloster N maybe?

Mazda actually made a very small number of 2nd gen mx-5 hardtop, but decided to not actually mass produce it. Unfortunate, as I would totally get one as I don't like convertibles.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miata's are dope, if I lived some place where it never snowed I would consider getting one. That or an S2000.

As it stands my fiance and I are considering trading in our 2009 Jeep Compass and 2009 VW Rabbit for a single 2015+ WRX.
It snows a lot here, and when it does I typically have to drive her around anyway since my Jeep is 4WD and she doesn't like driving in snow.
During the Spring/Summer I have my motorcycle and she can drive the WRX.

I don't think WRX's are well known for being SUPER reliable, but they have to be better than anything Jeep or VW puts out surely, and AWD/4WD is absolutely necessary during half of the year.
Idk, still not 100% on the WRX but everything else with AWD is pretty much the same price but less fun to drive.

If you're willing to buy new, 2019+ Mazda 3 AWD.

The 2019+ Mazda 3 compares more to entry level luxury cars than it does with it competitors. When you think of it that way, the Mazda 3 is a fucking bargain, that's why I bought mine.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I bought out the lease of my 2017 CX5 GT AWD because I loved it so much. Ended up giving it to my parents after my sister totaled her car.

Until I make Tesla money and have a Tesla home here in NYC Mazda is my car or choice, though at 6'4" I'll never ever fit in a Miata. Maybe a 2020 3 for next year...

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably wont be for quite a while. Batteries add a lot of weight, which is why electric sedans and crossovers work well. Hard to have a small, light-weight roadster when you need a lot of heavy batteries to power it.

Mazda is too small of a company to even invest in hybrid technology, although they are starting to do it with their new Mazda 3 in countries other than the US. They're firmly with gasoline technology with their Skyactiv-X engine lineup.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Mazda is too small of a company to even invest in hybrid technology, although they are starting to do it with their new Mazda 3 in countries other than the US. They're firmly with gasoline technology with their Skyactiv-X engine lineup.
Isn't the Skyactiv-X engine supposed to be comparable to hybrids?

I'm really hoping my 2006 can hold out until 2022 since that's likely the earliest the 6's will get that engine.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Mazda actually made a very small number of 2nd gen mx-5 hardtop, but decided to not actually mass produce it. Unfortunate, as I would totally get one as I don't like convertibles.

I've known about it. I've seen a few here in Japan as well. Would love to get one someday but yeah they are rare! I bet the Turbo Mazdaspeed NB's are getting pretty rare over in the US now too.

When Franz was still at Mazda we did the Kabura concept. Still wish something along these lines will come about.

leeky

Oct 27, 2017
Miata was always my car in Gran Turismo starting out. Had a coworker that just picked one up, as well as a pair of driving gloves...