• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
KIA? Those ugly ass cars? more reliable than my trusty honda?

I call bs.

2018_kia_stinger_angularfront.jpg

Pretty sure your car doesn't look better than a Kia Stinger.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
These "surveys of owners" things always get me to cast a side eye, like what, I'm supposed to trust the dumb mother fucker drivin the car?

Oct 29, 2017
KIA? Those ugly ass cars? more reliable than my trusty honda?

I call bs.

Calling KIAs ugly when Honda currently produces this fuckin monstrosity....

civictypera_o.jpg

....with more fake vents than you can shake a stick at. The stock Civic is ugly already, then they went to the gawdy-boy-racer store and bought everything they could fit on it.

most KIAs arent much to write home about but the Honda line up is straight up gross these days.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

civictypera_o.jpg

....with more fake vents than you can shake a stick at. The stock Civic is ugly already, then they went to the gawdy-boy-racer store and bought everything they could fit on it.

most KIAs arent much to write home about but the Honda line up is straight up gross these days.

It looks like a goddamn Gundam and I fucking love it.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
the only image thats ever conjured in my mind when i hear mazda miata is a prize on the NES concentration game

it might as well be a pretend car to me

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Dang what happened to Honda?

If you look at consumer reports ratings per car, Honda keeps getting average predicted reliability but historically keeps getting great actual reliability. Reminds me I need to cancel my online subscription, they've been doing this a few years and it smells like bullshit.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yup, I just checked the Pilot. 2019 predicted reliability 3/5. Actual reliability per area 5/5 for all except 4/5 for AC and 3/5 for in car electronics. How the hell they rationalize total reliability 3/5 when engine major, engine minor, suspension, transmission etc is 5/5 and has been for years is beyond me.

Also looking at the review they give headlights 2/5 lol wtf everyone that I've had in my car at night is amazed at how the LED lights auto adjust and evenly blanket the road.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Just bought my wife a 2019 4Runner. Hoping she can get a solid ~8 years out of it. That list makes me feel a little more confident...

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
If you look at consumer reports ratings per car, Honda keeps getting average predicted reliability but historically keeps getting great actual reliability. Reminds me I need to cancel my online subscription, they've been doing this a few years and it smells like bullshit.
Yup, I just checked the Pilot. 2019 predicted reliability 3/5. Actual reliability per area 5/5 for all except 4/5 for AC and 3/5 for in car electronics. How the hell they rationalize total reliability 3/5 when engine major, engine minor, suspension, transmission etc is 5/5 and has been for years is beyond me.

Also looking at the review they give headlights 2/5 lol wtf everyone that I've had in my car at night is amazed at how the LED lights auto adjust and evenly blanket the road.
See that's a great point. You can spin the data they have in many ways to get an outcome.

I'm already skeptical at 3 years of ownership since as others have pointed out that's within the warranty window. Subaru is top half but my BRZ (along with other models) had a recall for the engine valve spring early this year. That was one of the most nerve-wracking letters I've read in a while.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I do like the new Miatas, but man so impractical. I bet they're really fun on open winding roads, though.

As for the brand list, not shocked with the new Mazdas. I have a 2014 Mazda3 that's been rock solid. I've had to change nothing on it except oil and tires. Oh and a battery. But as far as actual mechanical function, it's been perfect through 77000 miles. Definitely would consider another one as long as they keep killing it with the body styles.

I concur, I have a 2014 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring and it's been perfect thus far (only at about 40k miles on mine though). It's an incredibly good car. The current crop of Mazda's seem fairly bulletproof and many of them way underrated in their respective segments. Definitely consider a Mazda for your next car if you're looking sometime soon; they are really, really good.

The current Miata is an amazing drive too.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
Did they use a random number generator for that list? Audi about the same as Honda?
The newer generations of Audi are perfect, since the whole tech and software got really utilised. My two Audi's have not had any problems and are the best cars I've ever had. My current Audi is a hybrid and has never failed me in any situation. Can't say the same for my Toyota or Nissan, but that's all anecdotal.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017

civictypera_o.jpg

I own (a blue) one, and not only is it a beauty to look at, it never felt this good to drive a car. It makes me look forward to get up in the morning and drive to work.

Oct 25, 2017
I love my Mazda MX-5 RF (Miata Hard-Top)

I have it for another year before my lease ends. It's been a great car and having a hard top convertible here in Southern California has been great. I wanted something that had great handling as I had a Lotus Evora prior.

Also LOL to the person who said Tesla Model 3 will appear in the top 10 next year. No. It. Wont.

EDIT: Also color me impressed at MINI. They used to always rank dead last or bottom 3 in every reliability report. Seems like they made a nice rebound.

EDIT 2: Where is Jaguar/Range Rover/Land Rover? LOL -- Didn't even make the list??

Oct 25, 2017

civictypera_o.jpg

I just got this in Sonic Grey Pearl (objectively the best color), and every single person that sees it falls in love with the look immediately, myself included. Even strangers comment on it. I love the look so much and it's my favorite amongst current sedans, one of my fondest purchases in my life.

May 21, 2018
Anecdotal evidence from Honda owners around me are that they've been slipping in their game for recent years. They drive perfectly for maybe 2 years and then mechanical problems start showing up.

Oct 27, 2017
Honda's been having trouble with their 1.5T engine, namely that it's encountering some rather chronic oil dilution issues with gasoline finding its way into the oil circulation. Their newer CVT has also had some teething issues from what I've heard.

Will say I'm always somewhat impressed with how high Porsche lands on these reliability charts given their propensity for complete and total over-engineering.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing about this list that surprises me is the Acura ranking. Jesus that's low as hell.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did they use a random number generator for that list? Audi about the same as Honda?

newer Audi's with the 2.0 and 3.0 turbos are in fact quite reliable.

a bit odd vw being at near the end of the same list though given the 2.0t is a pretty common engine option and is pretty similar to the Audi variant and pretty bulletproof as well. Shrugs. Like a vw with the 2.0t and a manual is gonna be very reliable. Throw a dsg in there and yeah, bad news.

with most badges though honestly you need to analyze the engine and transmission pairings, as well as if the electronics are known for issues in a given model, over just the badge.

Toyota/Lexus and yeah Mazda are pretty much the only 2 brands where yeah pretty much everything they make is pretty solid. There may be some certain auto transmissions they make that are known dogs but im not up on them really.

I drive a 2012 Jeep wk2 grand Cherokee and honestly it's been pretty reliable. I had a radiator replacement under warranty other than that just oil changes brakes and tires. It's now at 90k miles.

it actually is on a Benz platform and has a Benz 5 speed in it, and the 3.6 pentastar is pretty rock solid. Like there's actually a lot of metric stuff and made in Germany stamps all over the underbody.

I'm going to need to do the diff fluids and spark plugs pretty soon here though. They diffs I've intentionally avoided as I don't do any towing or off road stuff, but it's starting to feel pretty damn stiff daily driving.

I'd honestly probably avoid anything else made by FCA other than a pentastar and a manual on a wrangler or a pentastar and that 5 speed (which is only available up to like 2014 models). I wouldn't trust any of their 4 bangers or 8 speeds honestly.

and lol at mini being #10 on that list. Other than like an 06 S with a manual those cars are nightmares.

Last edited:

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
551476.jpg

This is the new 2020 KIA optima
Ok b.... Nah ain't worth it. 😉

To be totally honest, i still really don't like their interiors, and i was stuck servicing their first NA cars 15 years ago, i'm kinda stuck in that mentality.

the stinger looks nice but also it feels too much like it's a rebadged jaguar XF with a merc interior.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mazdas seem to do fine for several years and then fall apart all at once like the Bluesmobile.

The newer generations of Audi are perfect, since the whole tech and software got really utilised. My two Audi's have not had any problems and are the best cars I've ever had. My current Audi is a hybrid and has never failed me in any situation. Can't say the same for my Toyota or Nissan, but that's all anecdotal.

How recent is recent?
I know someone who has an S5 from the gen before the current one and it's been at the dealership for the last five or six MONTHS straight.
I know at least ten people who are die-hard Audi loyalists and every one of them experiences issues that would give me nightmares.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How recent is recent?
I know someone who has an S5 from the gen before the current one and it's been at the dealership for the last five or six MONTHS straight.
I know at least ten people who are die-hard Audi loyalists and every one of them experiences issues that would give me nightmares.

for the 2.0T 2013 or newer otherwise there are major oil consumption issues.

3.0t is pretty solid really from 2010 or so.

If that s5 has the v8 yeah makes sense. Audi v8 is a fine engine as long as it is maintained to the letter, but even then something might blow up on you.

outside the engine anything 2013 or older is gonna be problematic. Audi was following the bmw model of this car is gonna basically blow up by 100k miles pre 2013.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My wife had a Del Sol, she loved that thing. Nice little car. Never liked Miatas.

The del sol is just an EG civic hatchback but without the practical hatchback part.

I did always find the styling a bit odd since it looks like it should be a mid engine car, but it isn't.

Just bought my wife a 2019 4Runner. Hoping she can get a solid ~8 years out of it. That list makes me feel a little more confident...

4runners last forever and if its 4wd it barely goes down in value.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The del sol is just an EG civic hatchback but without the practical hatchback part.

I did always find the styling a bit odd since it looks like it should be a mid engine car, but it isn't.

4runners last forever and if its 4wd it barely goes down in value.

yep 4Runner is even better than a wrangler in resale value. Things are absolute tanks.

Jeep GC is a different story but has been holding at $15k or so and it's nearly 10 years old. Not bad. I expect it to plummet once I'm over 120k miles or so though which a wrangler or 4Runner wouldn't.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
yep 4Runner is even better than a wrangler in resale value. Things are absolute tanks.

Jeep GC is a different story but has been holding at $15k or so and it's nearly 10 years old. Not bad. I expect it to plummet once I'm over 120k miles or so though which a wrangler or 4Runner wouldn't.

The interesting part about 4wd Toyota's is, whatever the odometer reads it really doesn't change the value at all.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I would love to buy an MX-5 if they made a shooting brake version. Just can't live with a convertible.

Mazda-MX-5-Miata-shooting-brake-artists-rendering-203-626x382.jpg

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I would love to buy an MX-5 if they made a shooting brake version. Just can't live with a convertible.

Mazda-MX-5-Miata-shooting-brake-artists-rendering-203-626x382.jpg
Ooooof yeah that would be dope. After living with an 03 Miata for ~3 years and going to a BRZ, I won't ever go back to a soft top ever again. I've done a solo drive down to LA in that thing, the highway wind/road noise is torturous.

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing with Mazda is that they have pretty standard interiors but they feel slightly higher in class than others in the same category. I also think they have the sportiest of the "normal" priced cars in terms of looks.

Kudos for Mazda. Shocked they dont sell more.

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ok b.... Nah ain't worth it. 😉

To be totally honest, i still really don't like their interiors, and i was stuck servicing their first NA cars 15 years ago, i'm kinda stuck in that mentality.

the stinger looks nice but also it feels too much like it's a rebadged jaguar XF with a merc interior.
ok so you like the boy racer civic shit they putting out now?

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017

Wife has a 2013 Pilot with 65k miles on it. Bought it like the years ago because we thought Hondas were one of the top reliable brands. Currently been in the shop the whole last week trying to fix a transmission shudder that happens when the car hits 40 mph. Third time it's been in for various issues. She's starting to question if we got a lemon.

I love my 3 and CX-5, I would totally check out the Miatas too if I was a foot shorter lol

Just bought myself a 2017 CX-5 this summer. Really loving it so far as well. So fun to drive and the interior feels luxurious to me. But I was coming from a 2007 Camry I've been driving the past ten years lol.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wife has a 2013 Pilot with 65k miles on it. Bought it like the years ago because we thought Hondas were one of the top reliable brands. Currently been in the shop the whole last week trying to fix a transmission shudder that happens when the car hits 40 mph. Third time it's been in for various issues. She's starting to question if we got a lemon.

Just bought myself a 2017 CX-5 this summer. Really loving it so far as well. So fun to drive and the interior feels luxurious to me. But I was coming from a 2007 Camry I've been driving the past ten years lol.

yeah my dads pilot has had major issues as well. Transmission and transfer case. Like with any brand there are going to be some models with known issues.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
And the brand rankings:
How automotive brands ranked for reliability:
  1. Lexus
  2. Mazda
  3. Toyota
  4. Porsche
  5. Genesis
  6. Hyundai
  7. Subaru
  8. Dodge
  9. Kia
  10. Mini
  11. Nissan
  12. Honda
  13. Infiniti
  14. Audi
  15. Lincoln
  16. Ford
  17. BMW
  18. Buick
  19. Chrysler
  20. Mitsubishi
  21. Mercedes-Benz
  22. GMC
  23. Tesla
  24. Volvo
  25. Chevrolet
  26. Jeep
  27. Volkswagen
  28. Acura
  29. Alfa Romeo
  30. Cadillac

Wow, these rankings blow my mind from a personal experience perspective. Have had very little issues with 2 different Mitsubishi (Magna and Lancer), nothing but problems with a Ford Focus and a mixed bag Hyundai Sonata.