• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Via The Detroit Bureau

In the Consumer Reports brand reliability rankings, Lexus took the top spot, while its parent company, Toyota, was third. Mazda was second. Here are the 10 most reliable vehicles for 2020:

• Mazda MX-5 Miata
  • Toyota Prius Prime
  • Toyota Prius
  • Lexus GX
  • Hyundai Kona
  • Mazda CX-3
  • Lexus NX
  • Toyota 4-Runner
  • Mazda CX-9
  • Lexus GS
Korean brands Genesis, Hyundai and Kia ranked fifth, sixth and ninth, respectively. They topped rival Japanese brands Nissan (11th), Honda (12th), Infiniti (13th) and Acura (28th).
The study was based on surveys of owners of more than 400,000 current-generation vehicles made within the past three years. Those owners evaluated safety systems, vehicle infotainment, engine performance and other aspects of the cars and trucks.
It's a survey-based metric and Miata owners tend to be a bit on the passionate side, but hey. Go go little roadster!

Conversely, there 10 least reliable vehicles for 2020 are:

• Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon (same body style, different badging)
  • Chevrolet Camaro
  • Jeep Wrangler
  • Alfa Romeo Giulia
  • Volkswagen Atlas
  • Volkswagen Tiguan
  • Acura MDX
  • Tesla Model X
  • Chrysler Pacifica
  • Chevrolet Traverse
Cadillac ranked last among the 30 brands included in the survey while Fiat Chrysler Automobiles brand Alfa Romeo was second to last.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tesla Model X stays losing. It always scores TERRIBLY in these types of assessments.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Fuck yeah.

XG8JZrDwDqRobzWWlR_3RVHXLVbRLoTMtcovt_LQ6y4.jpg

KFBR392
KFBR392
KFBR392
KFBR392
KFBR392

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Would love to have one of the current body styles with the hard top at some point. Hopefully they're still this reliable when they're ~10 years old.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Mark 2, then 3, now a very happy owner of a mark 4. I can't stop looking at its beauty, and driving it is a dream. Never had any issues with any mx5 I've owned in the last 12 years.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
And the brand rankings:
How automotive brands ranked for reliability:
  1. Lexus
  2. Mazda
  3. Toyota
  4. Porsche
  5. Genesis
  6. Hyundai
  7. Subaru
  8. Dodge
  9. Kia
  10. Mini
  11. Nissan
  12. Honda
  13. Infiniti
  14. Audi
  15. Lincoln
  16. Ford
  17. BMW
  18. Buick
  19. Chrysler
  20. Mitsubishi
  21. Mercedes-Benz
  22. GMC
  23. Tesla
  24. Volvo
  25. Chevrolet
  26. Jeep
  27. Volkswagen
  28. Acura
  29. Alfa Romeo
  30. Cadillac
The study was based on surveys of owners of more than 400,000 current-generation vehicles made within the past three years. Those owners evaluated safety systems, vehicle infotainment, engine performance and other aspects of the cars and trucks.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And the brand rankings:
How automotive brands ranked for reliability:
  1. Lexus
  2. Mazda
  3. Toyota
  4. Porsche
  5. Genesis
  6. Hyundai
  7. Subaru
  8. Dodge
  9. Kia
  10. Mini
  11. Nissan
  12. Honda
  13. Infiniti
  14. Audi
  15. Lincoln
  16. Ford
  17. BMW
  18. Buick
  19. Chrysler
  20. Mitsubishi
  21. Mercedes-Benz
  22. GMC
  23. Tesla
  24. Volvo
  25. Chevrolet
  26. Jeep
  27. Volkswagen
  28. Acura
  29. Alfa Romeo
  30. Cadillac

Did they use a random number generator for that list? Audi about the same as Honda?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Did they use a random number generator for that list? Audi about the same as Honda?
Apparently Audi's cleaned up a bit in recent years.

Feb 1, 2018
Tesla Model X stays losing. It always scores TERRIBLY in these types of assessments.

It's the over-engineered falcon doors lol.

The newer Model 3's are pretty solid, initial 2017-2018 ones had some bugs but they're ironed out now.

Model S from 2012-2015 has lots of issues but the facelift (2016) onwards is solid.

I expect Model 3 to be on the top 10 list next year

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
I love my 3 and CX-5, I would totally check out the Miatas too if I was a foot shorter lol

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that Wranglers were supposed to be tanks. They're unreliable, huh? Ah well. Hopefully my sister doesn't end up on the side of the road.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I do like the new Miatas, but man so impractical. I bet they're really fun on open winding roads, though.

As for the brand list, not shocked with the new Mazdas. I have a 2014 Mazda3 that's been rock solid. I've had to change nothing on it except oil and tires. Oh and a battery. But as far as actual mechanical function, it's been perfect through 77000 miles. Definitely would consider another one as long as they keep killing it with the body styles.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Its only the first 3 years when things usually dont go wrong. On a longer scale youd see different results. Also one reason why consumer reports lists are kinda meaningless. A head unit issue can cause a vehicle to plummet down the list, which doesnt really say anything about reliability.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I've got a 2007 Prius that's still kicking 13 years later with 125k on it. Do not regret the purchase at all.

Miata is probably what I would pick for a "fun" car if I had the cash to spare and could drive it year round (not really a winter car here). My boss in college had one and it was fun to ride with him in it going to client sites around town.

And I'm partial to it for being my starter car of choice in NSFU 😀

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
My 92' Mk 1 is still running strong. Its an import so its a Roadster, it'll probably rust to death before it gives out mechanically
Keep up with preventative maintenance and the only thing you'll have to worry about is your headlight motors giving out and making your car look permanently stoned

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Dang what happened to Honda?
I'm wondering the same, just got a new Civic Hatchback and it's been a dream so far, this concerns me :(

(although I get placing 12 isn't bad it's just surprising)
Found an article from earlier this year that mentions some of their recent issues.

Sounds like infotainment/bluetooth issues, Takata airbag recalls, and some 1.5L (turbo) engine problems.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was pulling into a Krystal this morning and a Miata was in the in lane going out.

I've made up my mind.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Is three years long enough to consider something reliable? That's still within the warranty period for a lot of cars.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I love my 2016 4runner. It drives and feels as bulletproof as the reliability data suggests that it is.

I've been on multiple long-distance road trips and several light offroad excursions and so far not a single thing has gone wrong. It's only been in for routine maintenance.

I firmly believe this vehicle will outlive me.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The Miata should have died and the Honda Del Sol should have lived on instead!

Oct 25, 2017
México
I don't know why people in the USA keeps making fun of Kia. More reliable, cheaper and with more features than most American cars.

My next car is going to be a Kia Forte.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I don't know why people in the USA keeps making fun of Kia. More reliable, cheaper and with more features than most American cars.

My next car is going to be a Kia Forte.
I expect:
a.) People get one idea of a car/brand in their heads and hold onto it for years/decades, even as that car/brand changes over the years.
b.) Driving the cheapest possible Kias that have been beat to death in rental car fleets.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
And I reading this wrong.

reliability... made in the last 3 years.
How is that a gauge for anything? Europeans cars would be last if it was last 5 years.