• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Can people really not differentiate in their heads the difference between a game they personally don't have an interest in and a bad game?

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Kinda dig that it puts up games I otherwise wouldn't have tried, sure they could have put up something like Dark Souls and Dying Light, but I already have these and I got them really cheap. I can see why people would consider them underwhelming on name value, but meh I'm happy.

Edit: Hopefully these control better than The Sims on console, because I gave up on that after an hour.

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Are they enjoyable to play with a controller?

I purchased Cities earlier this year when it was on sale with 2/3 of all the DLC, I've been enjoying it nicely, probably an easy 30hrs gone like that.... Making really nice curved roads is trickier, but ultimately I've not had any issues with controls.

There is one aspect that I don't like, but the PC version won't solve it, where you have to place things attached to roads, I'd like an option to place something first and joint the road later, as I believe it could help planning certain things, leaving enough space, etc

If anything as I've had much of the DLC, most of my issues have been understanding how to try and use all the options available to me. lol

This is one of the first times I've noticed they actually co-ordinated to put DLC on sale at the same time, specifically the same span of time for them being on PS+

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I dont get why more of these management games don't support mouse and keyboard.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
My thinking is most people who are unhappy with this months choices are pissed at the two similar style games. Cities is a good game, but I have zero interest in Farming Sim. I'm well aware other people love that game though. Already have Cities so it's not a month for me although I'm happy people get to try Cities Skylines.

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
Meanwhile Japan gets the Trails of Cold Steel Remaster...
FGvvd.png

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
My thinking is most people who are unhappy with this months choices are pissed at the two similar style games.
There's an element of that, as well as people reading too much into 'leaks' of Dark Souls and Dying Light.

However, most of the social media reactions just seem to hate the idea of both of these games

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Can people really not differentiate in their heads the difference between a game they personally don't have an interest in and a bad game?
[/QUOTE
I think it's more the issue of this kind of game being a bit niche and they put not one but two games like that this month. There have been complaints in the past when Sony offered sports games, in one case they even changed the announced title.
There's no denying that this are two good games but they are games most people aren't interested and even if they are, a controller isn't the best way to play it.
I love Cities Skylines but I can't imagine playing it with a controller.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that either game is bad. I have hundreds of hours clocked in skylines and love it, but as a value proposition it seems pretty poor to me. As I said previously, the base game has been inexpensive for some time and I don't imagine much effort was put into getting this when it's on gamepass and (I believe) origin access.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's more the issue of this kind of game being a bit niche and they put not one but two games like that this month. There have been complaints in the past when Sony offered sports games, in one case they even changed the announced title.
There's no denying that this are two good games but they are games most people aren't interested and even if they are, a controller isn't the best way to play it.
I love Cities Skylines but I can't imagine playing it with a controller.
I can see concerns about how, say Skylines plays on console (does it support mouse, though? The Sims 4 did when it was offered recently).

We've also had months where, say, they've offered two third-person action games and nothing else, so this isn't exactly unprecedented.

I would push back against calling these games 'niche,' though. Skylines has sold over 6 million copies and just this entry of Farming Simulator alone has sold over 2 million. They're big games. I've seen 'niche' be used as a descriptor several times about them, and I question people who would conflate a game they don't play meaning a game that therefore not many people play. I'm not convinced any adverse reaction is more than just a kneejerk "I don't like this sort of thing" response and nothing more thoughtful.

Generally, though, the IGC offerings have been poor value comparative to rival services for a while now, so there's definitely merit there. Just not compared to other recent months of this service.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
This thread and a huge share of the replies are embarrassing.

Playstation Plus has been steadily declining in value for the last couple of years while keeping the same price (or getting more expensive in some regions), so maybe Sony should have thought twice before putting two games like this on the same month.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Want to stress that Skylines and Farming Simulator are not two peas in a pod; they're nothing alike.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Both of these games are great and they honestly make a more fun month for being games that I don't own already (rather than the blockbuster exclusives that they might add 4 years after they come out which, while quality games, I usually have owned them for years already).

What I will say is, the shitty thing about this month's Plus games is that they're both already on PlayStation Now. Both of them. So if you're a subscriber of that (hi!) then you've basically got nothing in May. That sucks.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on. Games that 80% of the audience are completely unfamiliar with and which at first glance seem very similar. And most people aren't going to give them a second look, that's just how it is, especially when getting them both at the same time.
You realize that Farming Simulator 2019 was a world-wide bestseller at release and outsold most AAA titles, right? Doubtful that a game which is pretty popular in Europe, Asia and South-America is "completely unfamiliar to 80% of the audience". Cities Skylines is the de-facto best city builder game and a looot of people played it.

You would expect that a board for gaming enthusiasts shows more appreciation to good games and less "GIVE ME COD OR GIVE ME DEATH!" stuff.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It didn't stop the meltdown on here when Pro Evo was going to be the Plus game and then everyone was creaming themselves over MLB, which absolutely no one around the world wants.

These are exactly the kinds of games we should be getting on Plus.

The backlash to PES was mostly about a huge portion of the board being US-centric.

And not that I'd ever play MLB, but it was paired with TLOU remastered. It's just about appealing to all your audience, which this month doesn't do.

You would expect that a board for gaming enthusiasts shows more appreciation to good games and less "GIVE ME COD OR GIVE ME DEATH!" stuff.

I think this is a bit naive. I mean you're seeing the responses in this thread. People here just play a lot, most aren't enthusiasts in the purest sense. AFAIC I would definitely play the occasional management sim (played Tropico 5 when it came out on Plus and it was fun, except for the bugs). Not FM though, it doesn't appeal to me.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
I'll give Cities Skylines a try. But I operated a Raker for a ranch in 2010 for 3 days and quit. I'm not about to do that in a sim game.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't seem to be the case for me. I have PS+ and PS Now and I managed to get the PS+ games added to my account just fine.
Do you download the games or stream them only?

If you download them a licensing error occurs where PS Store thinks you already own the game. I lost For Honor and Steep as PS+ Games due to downloading them on PS Now.

New Games Available to Redeem Now
OP
OP
G_Shumi

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The new games are now available to redeem for PlayStation Plus for all regions.

US Links:

-Farming Simulator 19 (Free DLC: HOLMER Terra Variant) (Free DLC: New Holland T6 Blue Power)
-Cities: Skylines (Free DLC: Carols, Candles, and Candy) (Free DLC: Pearls From the East)

UK Links:

-Farming Simulator 19 (Free DLC: HOLMER Terra Variant) (Free DLC: New Holland T6 Blue Power)
-Cities: Skylines (Free DLC: Carols, Candles, and Candy) (Free DLC: Pearls From the East)

All of these links have been added to the OP as well.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Do you download the games or stream them only?

If you download them a licensing error occurs where PS Store thinks you already own the game. I lost For Honor and Steep as PS+ Games due to downloading them on PS Now.
I haven't touched these two games with PS Now. Maybe the problem arises if the particular games are installed but just having PS Now does not seem to make it impossible to redeem them as PS+ games.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't touched these two games with PS Now. Maybe the problem arises if the particular games are installed but just having PS Now does not seem to make it impossible to redeem them as PS+ games.
It's if you downloaded them. I am a now subscriber, and have downloaded both these and my sub is active so shit out of luck for me. Not 100% sure maybe letting your sub lapse solves it, I use Now too much to bother finding out.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
It's if you downloaded them. I am a now subscriber, and have downloaded both these and my sub is active so shit out of luck for me. Not 100% sure maybe letting your sub lapse solves it, I use Now too much to bother finding out.

This is annoying alright. Especially so as I haven't even started them.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
I'm actually jazzed for Cities Skylines. Never played a Farming Simulator so jury's out there.

the chris

Dec 31, 2017
Good choices, I probably would've never touched either of these game before but I'll give them a go now.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
You are pretty much forced to use PS Now as stream only service to enjoy PS+ titles nowadays considering their offerings overlap so much.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I've literally never complained about PS+ offerings before, but if I had a chance to choose two other PS4 games that I'd be less interested in, it would be hard for me top these picks. Blah.

Oh well, at least they were bundled together instead of being disappointingly spread out into other months separately. May 2020 is an official backlog period for me.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Two fantastic games. Happy to get Cities Skylines on PS4 and I can now trade in my physical copy of FS19. Too many people in this thread showing their poor taste in videogames. Shame.
Yeah people keep saying they are bad games, instead they should say it's not their cup of tea