• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Mayor of Laurel, Mississippi, a city with 18,478 people, more than 61% are Black, recently signed an executive order that removed all confederate flags from city-owned buildings within Laurel:

www.upworthy.com

Mississippi town mayor fights back tears as he signs order to remove confederate flags

"There comes a point in time in the annals of history when it becomes necessary to redefine who a people are, and what a collection of these people represent." - Mayor Johnny Magee

Laurel, Mississippi is home to a little over 18,000 people, more than 61% of whom are Black. On Tuesday, the town's mayor, Johnny Magee, issued a historic executive order to remove the state's flag from the City of Laurel government properties—a moment that moved him to tears.

The weight of that long history was visible in Mayor Magee's face as he tearfully sat for a full minute in front of the executive order to remove the flag. Instead of flying on government buildings in the town, the flags will be donated to the local library or other places that can keep them for posterity, according to the Laurel Leader-Call.

"Whereas through the ages, these banners have themselves grown to exemplify the traits that define the very fabric of the society they represent and have served as a means to unify, rally the spirit and passion of the citizens to one voice and purpose of the state, all of which demonstrates the significance given to these flag emblems," Magee read, according to the Laurel Leader-Call. "And whereas the current flag hovering above the State Capitol of the state of Mississippi was adopted as the state flag by the Mississippi Legislature in 1894, and the upper-left portion of this flag is often referred to as the Confederate battle flag."

Magee said the battle standard is a symbol of divisiveness and racial transgressions, "none of which represents the ideals and principles of our great nation, proud state and vibrant city."

"There comes a point in time in the annals of history when it becomes necessary to redefine who a people are, and what a collection of these people represent," Magee added. "It is the opinion of the mayor of this city that now is such a time."

www.leader-call.com

Mayor chokes back tears before signing executive order to remove state flag from city-owned buildings

During the reignited debate on whether the state of Mississippi flag sends racist messages, Laurel Mayor Johnny Magee signed an executive order on Tuesday to take down flags at its

During the reignited debate on whether the state of Mississippi flag sends racist messages, Laurel Mayor Johnny Magee signed an executive order on Tuesday to take down flags at its government properties.

A press conference was called for 11 a.m. that day in the City Hall rotunda, where Jimmy Walker, owner of Ford Lincoln Kia in Laurel, stood with an emotional Magee as the latter read and signed the order. At one point, the mayor paused for a full minute as he held back tears. The executive order, effective the day of signing, calls for the flags to be donated to the library or other places that will keep them for posterity.

Magee went on to say the battle standard is a symbol of divisiveness and racial transgressions throughout the state's history, "none of which represents the ideals and principles of our great nation, proud state and vibrant city."

Employees of the City of Laurel removed the flag from outside City Hall immediately after Magee's press conference.

Last edited:

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Yeah that title got me too. But damn you just love to see it, I can't imagine what that's like for him.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
What a powerful and moving photo (coming from Mississippi of all places too (a state where the Confederate Flag is literally on the state flag))

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
Know this town from a hgtv fav, home town, glad they are able to foster change in the community, seems like a nice place to live

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
OP.

tenor.gif

On topic though... I'm happy for the older generation still around to see this moment. 😔

I never thought I'd see the day when something like this would happen in Mississippi of all places.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
Supposedly the state house and senate have the votes to remove it tomorrow. We will see.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I was ready to come into this thread mad, lol. Good for him, I can't even imagine how powerful a moment it is.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
What I expected before clicking and what I saw were two completely different things. It was a good surprise though, an understandable situation for the Mayor.
For my Spanish-speaking brothers, this thread is a fine example of "Sustos que dan gusto".

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I'm sorry that I used the headline that was directly from this article:

www.leader-call.com

Mayor chokes back tears before signing executive order to remove state flag from city-owned buildings

During the reignited debate on whether the state of Mississippi flag sends racist messages, Laurel Mayor Johnny Magee signed an executive order on Tuesday to take down flags at its

people shouldn't react to only titles though, not when articles are linked.

Ohh I'm glad I was wrong from what I thought , but title could have been worded differently.

Oct 25, 2017
If it was done with an executive order from the Black mayor in a town that's majority black I'm kinda surprised it didn't happen a bit sooner.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Between this thread and Square's gay pride mascot, today has been a day of subverted expectations.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry that I used the headline that was directly from this article:

www.leader-call.com

There's also enough context with the 'executive order' being signed.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
What a powerful and moving photo (coming from Mississippi of all places too (a state where the Confederate Flag is literally on the state flag))

It's not that surprising. Large areas of Mississippi are majority black. Like, 80% in some towns.

It's finally coming down. Though rumor has it, we're getting one with the new seal on it, which fucking suuuuucks

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
That headline is so misleading, lol.

Glad this story went the other way than I thought prior to entering the thread.