• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
Balance always matters. Its part of the loot hook, i.e. am I getting enough good shit dripped to me so that I feel like I should continue playing (Borderlands has more going for it imo over the other shlooters but that's a different topic).

I will bang this anti-endgame drum till the endgame of time.
Then just...start a new game

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Please don't mess this up, please please please please please.

I really enjoyed BL1+2, but never got too deep into the Presequel (never even got far enough to unlock all 4 weapon slots which was annoying). It was too much like 2 which I had already played for probably close to 200 hours.

If more of those leaks end up being true (multiple ability powers per character instead of just 1 being a big one) then I'll probably be more than satisfied with the game.

I wouldn't even mind if it added a FEW GaaS features, like new quests or challenges being added at regular intervals, and maybe even add in premium skins (still earnable in game) since I never buy them and they can help subsidize that ongoing support stuff that I would enjoy.

Not a single loot shooter has interested me nearly as much as Borderlands 1 and 2 last gen.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Not all DLC is the same. This had additions of new characters, skills, a level cap increase and a varierty of new content. It's not just a map pack with a new weapon skin here or there.

You're missing my point. The idea that GaaS can be applied to so many completely different games dilutes it to a point where its not even worth using. Skyrim and Division 2 are both GaaS titles with almost nothing in common, telling someone who knows about neither game that its a GaaS title tells them what exactly? Its a game thats gonna have DLC down the road. Ok.

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, end game is a grind fest and not something I want. Borderlands doesn't need to focus on the endgame bc the regular game has been long enough and diverse enough to feel like an accomplishment without the need to grind at the end.

Then what do you do for replayability? Beat the game again? Pass. Best part of BL2 was the post game DLC and end game content hands down. That's the core of loot games.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BL2 just had a 1GB update on Steam... Hmm...

Great tease. I can't wait to see the panel tomorrow.

I bet they are gonna use Steam in some way to advertise for Borderlands 3 despite it being 1 year timed exclusive on EGS. Why? Because EGS doesn't have anything to help devs and pubs advertise their games other than the store front page, which I assume is controlled by Epic.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited, but I'm afraid they'll make it like more recent shlooters, which would suck because Borderlands was the only one I liked. Also if I hear endgame during when this is announced I am out. F endgame.

This is a very odd take considering the genre and the inspiration Borderlands draws from. I can understand concerns about the types of end game activities available, especially if it tries to mimic something like Destiny 2 1:1, but lets be real here. These types of games need endgame because otherwise building a character would be completely pointless. There needs to be additional, compelling hooks at the end. Stuff like max level equipment that compliments your build and additional content to find said gear in that keeps players engaged.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
The change in writing is likely down to Anthony Burch leaving Gearbox after BL3 to work on something for Hulu.

I knew the guy left but it still needs humor to feel right. Borderlands 1 was so bland stylistically. It was really muted compared to 2. I'm expecting a big stepback this time around.

Jan 31, 2018
Well, hot damn it's actually happening.

I'm going to be excited now and disappointed later when it's probably an epic store timed exclusive.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
You're missing my point. The idea that GaaS can be applied to so many completely different games dilutes it to a point where its not even worth using. Skyrim and Division 2 are both GaaS titles with almost nothing in common, telling someone who knows about neither game that its a GaaS title tells them what exactly? Its a game thats gonna have DLC down the road. Ok.
People are literally telling you the difference. Skyrim and The Division 2 have everything in common, except that The Division is online only and has a more robust MTX market unlike Skyrim's hodgepodge of buying options.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Endgame means the balance they had with the series so far is out the window. Endgame also means I'll be grinding the same shit over and over, and yeah hell no.
https://youtu.be/52Yl0EJ52vs?t=39

Also its funny you mention grinding the same stuff over and over when that was literally what you were doing in Borderlands 1 with the armory glitch since that place made everything else irrelevant.

Same thing with BL2. There wasnt anything to do except grind bosses. Them having actual actual endgame content that makes the gear you grinded actually worth something like a Diablo Rift equivalent would make the game so much more better

Last edited:

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been this hyped for a game in such a long fucking time (ignoring KH3)

This was the perfect way to tease it

astro

Oct 25, 2017
People are literally telling you the difference. Skyrim and The Division 2 have everything in common, except that The Division is online only and has a more robust MTX market unlike Skyrim's hodgepodge of buying options.
People are disagreeing with the definition, your word is not absolute. See this thread anfd the one I created recently.

jelmerjt

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Secret "Mask Teaser" SHiFT code: C35TB-WS6ST-TXBRK-TTTJT-JJH6H

Tested on Xbox One. Is legit. You get Salvador's Community Day skin and 5 Golden Keys! As the description says more codes are out there/coming soon. I need that Gaige skin :D

cdxok5r.jpg

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim is a GaaS game now? lol give me a fucking break.

Constantly adding new content to the game in order to keep players engaged and make additional revenue post-launch.

GaaS. Skyrim of today is not the Skyrim of 2011.

Quite frankly, this all comes down to people villifying a term for something that has existed for a long time now. A few games fuck it up with their attempt and they think it's the worst thing in the world.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Constantly adding new content to the game in order to keep players engaged and make additional revenue.

GaaS. Skyrim of today is not the Skyrim of 2011.
From the GaaS thread:

That's why I prefer to use KPIs for specificity. Under a broad definition, anything with post-release content would fall under the GaaS umbrella, which makes the term kind of meaningless.

Specifically, GaaS from a KPI standpoint would require that the service portion of the product (the post-release content) is self-sustaining, meaning it'll pay for operations. This includes both development and the cost of user acquisition, the latter of which is a major component to running a game as a service as opposed to the old way of doing things, which blew the marketing budget at launch and didn't consider the problem of how to continually seek new users throughout the game's lifetime.

This is why I don't consider the Borderlands series GaaS in the true modern sense. They had bombastic launches, but never made an earnest effort to grow their userbase after launch. A true, modern GaaS built from the ground up launches with the expectation that after the initial post-launch drop in interest, engagement will actually steadily increase. Older games, even if they technically fit GaaS definitions, do not have this expectation, and never run their operations with it in mind.

In more direct terms, a true modern GaaS uses a simple metric for success: cost of user acquisition is less than the lifetime value of the customer (CPA < LTV).

This is why the term doesn't fit to me.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Quick question:

Only played Tales from the Borderlands so far, and am now eyeing the Handsome Collection since it's on sale on PSN.

Is the original Borderlands relevant for knowing what's going on in 3 or is it enough when I play the Handsome collection as well as tales?

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Both games didn't add content, skills, new archetypes and weaponry to the game? Not just a map pack?

The only games that just add map packs are multiplayer games.

You're basically saying every single player game ever is GaaS.

And no, Skyrim and Division have next to nothing in common, please stop being ridiculous.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The only games that just add map packs are multiplayer games.

You're basically saying every single player game ever is GaaS.

And no, Skyrim and Division have next to nothing in common, please stop being ridiculous.
They're not interested in discussing, they came in right away with "my word is final, your'e wrong!".

Nov 5, 2017
Quick question:

Only played Tales from the Borderlands so far, and am now eyeing the Handsome Collection since it's on sale on PSN.

Is the original Borderlands relevant for knowing what's going on in 3 or is it enough when I play the Handsome collection as well as tales?

If I remember correctly... apart from the finding-the-vault aspect, Borderlands 2 is when the main 'story' kicked in.
The first is still a lovely game and, if the rumours are true, could be getting an updated release on current consoles too (possibly also announced tomorrow).

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
No, end game is a grind fest and not something I want. Borderlands doesn't need to focus on the endgame bc the regular game has been long enough and diverse enough to feel like an accomplishment without the need to grind at the end.
Well, there is nothing that is keeping those two concepts at odds - in fact, you want both the "critical" progression path to be smooth, interesting, and satisfying, while also having quite a lot of meat to dig into once you're sufficiently powered up. Vanilla Destiny 2, for example, had the former, but not the latter, and it proved to be a serious problem. Obviously Borderlands isn't a shared world game, and thus its fundamental construction is going to be different, but the point is that there is no harm in having both axes of progression be well accommodated. That is, in fact, the preference.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's about damn time

but I can't wait to be moderately annoyed when they announce the PC version as an one year Epic Store exclusive.