• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Hope this game takes a giant poop on Anthem.

Practically speaking, look forward to their procedural gun system. Wanna see how crazy they get this time. I wanna see buzz saw launchers and crazy ammo variants, ricochet types etc. Would love to see Tales of the Borderlands characters making appearances is almost too good to be true.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say though, regardless of everything else, that's a really well designed trailer.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
I consider it a GAAS myself. Any game that offers updates to keep continuous play even after completing the campaign is likely a GAAS. Normally those updates are end game related things.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
DLC expansions alone do not make a GaaS in my eye. By your definition, Oblivion was the first console GaaS and that seems like a real stretch to me. One thing we can probably all agree on is that the term GaaS needs a more universally accepted, concrete definition.
Any game that continuously evolves the world you play in and keeps you logged into that game through the means of paid content is a game as a service.

Borderlands 2 was a GAAS
It doesn't need a concrete definition because shit is not that serious.

Does a dev update the game with constant content? It's a GaaS

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean no Claptrap in Borderlands 3?
They can probably find a bunch of other Claptrap sound-alikes. The whole "goofy robot" thing isn't exclusive to BL after all. Who knows, maybe they'll write him differently altogether since I don't reckon Anthony Burch is working on this.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Any game that continuously evolves the world you play in and keeps you logged into that game through the means of paid content is a game as a service.

Borderlands 2 was a GAAS
It doesn't need a concrete definition because shit is not that serious.

Does a dev update the game with constant content? It's a GaaS

Borderlands 2 had DLC, it didn't have an ever evolving world, or daily/weekly events (that I remember) or anything else associated with a GaaS title, it just had DLC.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But, there are people who believe that Madden is not football, and they post here. That is really your point...because people here think it's not GaaS...it isn't GaaS.

I also like how you ignored that the Borderlands games have had content expansions just as wide and far reaching, with new content (not just a map and weapon skins, as you are implying by "DLC") as anything Destiny, The Division, or Battlefield has done. But hey, you're the expert I guess.
Are you new? Like, to gaming. Expansions have been a thing for a long ass time. Old games with expansions and DLC aren't retroactively GAAS just because you don't feel like discerning between them!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've read both and I have to wonder why the accuser didn't report him to the FBI if it was CP. Unless new information comes out it's far more likely it was just a camgirl.
And Randy's word is been proven to be worth nothing, and his explanation read as absurd. So there's good reason to doubt him here. I don't know why you jumped on me like it was a nothing burger, it's definitely something to be wary of.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
People can't accept that it's possible they that they liked a GaaS game. Like...Borderlands can't be GaaS because I enjoyed it!

I mean, before GAAS was just an other term for getting money from their audience before they even produced a single thing on content and then having a lackluster year with meaningless shit.
We had expansions and yes, I agree, if you want, these games were GAAS games. Supported with content over years.

But then season passes got bigger and everyone had to have one and more companies found out how to exploit this in the cheapest way possible and then when we had a name for this, GAAS, it was already too late and everyone already knew that it's something negative in most cases.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 3 was truly my favorite Game As A Service.

Like seriously? Some of you really can't work out the difference?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
BL3 is absolutely going to be a GaaS, and there is nothing wrong with that so long as it's handled well, and it has been handled well by many a game already. Some of y'all should have swallowed this pill by now.

Borderlands 2 had DLC, it didn't have an ever evolving world, or daily/weekly events (that I remember) or anything else associated with a GaaS title, it just had DLC.

DLC is GaaS. Especially BL2 which had DLC based on events throughout the year. Back then it wasn't even free events as they are now. You had to pay for each one.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People can't accept that it's possible they that they liked a GaaS game. Like...Borderlands can't be GaaS because I enjoyed it!
You're just acting silly. That's one of the most baffling suppositions I've ever read on this site. Like some of the most beloved games that exist right now are GaaS. Figure out how to argue your point if you've actually got one, because this ain't it.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Are you new? Like, to gaming. Expansions have been a thing for a long ass time. Old games with expansions and DLC aren't retroactively GAAS just because you don't feel like discerning between them!
Again, those expansions you mention, were they just map packs, or did they add several elements to the gameplay, with new skills, characters, level increases and such?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So Skyrim is GaaS then?

Every game with extra content after the fact is GaaS then? Methinks the term is too broad now.

Considering Bethesda's store of mods that is constantly being added to, yes, Skyrim is now GaaS.

There are varying degrees of supporting a game after its launch in order to gain revenue from it. Some only include add-ons to the point they don't earn the label of GaaS as often as others that involve more intuitive systems to keep players playing as often as possible.

BL2 was a balance between the two. Add-ons, which later involved paid events.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 3 was truly my favorite Game As A Service.

Like seriously? Some of you really can't work out the difference?

GaaS are generally characterized by being designed to keep players actively engaged longer term. Fallout 3 being a single player rpg clearly isn't that, even if it had post release content dlc.

Borderlands 2 however is a looter shooter with diablo-esque loot. It's co-op and co-op content lends it to be a quite social game if you want. And it got continuously updated with tons of new content for a pretty long while.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just based on the model, the design of the female twin looks extremely up my alley. Shame they're a villain and not playable.

I like the look of the playable Siren though. That's the class I've usually stuck with in every game, I don't expect them to disappoint here either.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
You're just acting silly. That's one of the most baffling suppositions I've ever read on this site. Like some of the most beloved games that exist right now are GaaS. Figure out how to argue your point if you've actually got one, because this ain't it.
If it doesn't apply, let it fly. Look at the posts...clearly people don't want the term "GaaS" to be associated with their favorite franchises. Those beloved games you mentioned aren't as beloved here as they are with gamers outside message boards like this. Yeah...I really meant ALL OF SOCIETY doesn't like GaaS...it's clear that I was talking about here specifically and it's clear that GaaS is a major boogeyman here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Considering Bethesda's store of mods that is constantly being added to, yes, Skyrim is now GaaS.

There are varying degrees of supporting a game after its launch in order to gain revenue from it. Some only include add-ons to the point they don't earn the label of GaaS as often as others that involve more intuitive systems to keep players playing as often as possible.

BL2 was a balance between the two. Add-ons, which later involved paid events.
Yup, the term for things do change retroactively. Just because "GaaS' wasn't a term then doesn't mean it doesn't apply now.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, the term for things do change retroactively. Just because "GaaS' wasn't a term then doesn't mean it doesn't apply now.

The issue is that it basically applies to everything that had DLC, now and in the past. If thats the case then theres no need whatsoever to have a catagory called GaaS as it doesnt help tell people what the game is.

Popelady

Growth Manager at Splash Damage
Verified
Mar 11, 2019
Having seen some things, I'm incredibly excited! I really hope that they listened to the feedback I gave them a few years back, but regardless as a borderlands fangirl i'm hyped

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
The issue is that it basically applies to everything that had DLC, now and in the past. If thats the case then theres no need whatsoever to have a catagory called GaaS as it doesnt help tell people what the game is.
Not all DLC is the same. This had additions of new characters, skills, a level cap increase and a varierty of new content. It's not just a map pack with a new weapon skin here or there.