• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should happen to review scores?

• Keep them as is (5 stars/1-10/1-100)

Votes: 322 31.7%
  • Change to binary recommendations

Votes: 230 22.7%
  • Get rid of scores

Votes: 446 43.9%
  • Go back and update old reviews as patches come out (reviews as a living document)

Votes: 254 25.0%
  • Other (these poll answers suck/post a better idea)

Votes: 47 4.6%

• Total voters

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel there are any positives to review scores, especially in this day and age. They only seem to enable toxic behavior and are useless in the era of big patches and overhauls.

The only positive I can see is for game companies who want a number to slap on the box or for consumers who can't be bothered to read a few paragraphs to get a critic's opinion. The former doesn't even seem to matter quite as much as game companies have included review quotes for decades in ads and on boxes.

Games like FF14, No Man's Sky, Fallout 76, Fortnite, etc have changed so drastically since release that the review scores serve only as a time capsule, not as something to inform consumer purchases. If you want an accurate picture of the game as it is now you have to either find someone who has bothered to look into an older game, or just jump in blind.

To me it seems like review scores just make the community more divisive and serve as free advertising for game companies, not something that helps inform consumers or encourages good faith critical discussion.

I know some game outlets have dropped scores in favor of a binary recommendation system or just not put out a score, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's done reviews what they think. Do journalists generally think scores have enough value to continue to be used, or are they no longer relevant? Maybe from a business case it doesn't make sense, as some sites are probably super reliant on people reading reviews even just to see the score at the end. It can't be for people who actually have read the review get your point, games criticism has come a lot farther then that. A number becomes redundant if you're a good enough writer to get your opinion across with words alone.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I volunteer to be a member of the Review Police and keep everyone in line.

But seriously though review scores are a shortcut for a mass audience to know whether to waste money or not. I don't want to necessarily read 5 pages for all 200 games that come out next year. If I see a game get some 9s that helps me know I should definitely find out more about it.

Reviews are for consumers, not fans.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I like review scores, though prefer a five star scale because it usually means the whole scale gets used. I find I'm actually *less* likely to read a review without a score.

I'd be disappointed to see them gone just because gamerz can't not be a toxic mess.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nuke scores from orbit. They don't realistically reflect anything and are only fuel for stupid arguments.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes People don't feel like reading or watching something and just want a quick summary with a score to get the general temperature on a game.

Nothing wrong with that.

Jan 11, 2018
Should have been done a long time ago. I'm happy to see a lot of outlets have done away with them, but the biggest ones like IGN are to cowardly to do it.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have been talking about this for decades.

Not going to happen. Too ingrained in the industry and in gamers.

Shoutout to Edge scores which I frequently disagree with but at least use the whole scale from 1-10.

Leafhopper

Oct 25, 2017
I liked letter grades that 1UP used to do. I think they actually made people read the actual review more. Although that might have just been my own personal placebo.

I can still see people going "It got a C+ so it's shit." and not reading a thing, so maybe nothing would change.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
they're mainly only using 6 through 10 anyway

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews are still useful for people who want a quick singular thing to show them how decent a game is when they have no intention of reading through reviews.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lots of sites won't, because a lot of clicks are come from metacritic literally organizing it by number.

The problem is people taking the number as sacrosanct and not a reflection of many factors, both objective for the game, and subjective to the reviewer. People don't understand reviews are somewhat (maybe even largely) personal in taste.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I disagree personally. I just think that the system something was reviewed on should be explicitly stated and it should not account for alternatives. It's not a like for like comparison to do a top-end PC to a console now.

I don't read reviews personally -- they almost always spoil things and I don't have the time or inclination as I'm just not very bothered outside of opinions of people I know. If a game looks interesting to me, I'll either get it or look for first hand input geerally. But I do also consult with the average review score for movies and games -- it does a very good job of weeding out stuff that isn't worth your time generally speaking.

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
I think an up/down rec can be useful, or even a "Buy it/Don't buy it/ Wait for a sale" system. After all, most of us are just trying to figure out whether to fork over $60 or not, we aren't looking for an academic dissertation.

Having a faux-scientific rating system (often down to the decimal point!) definitely seems like a waste of time and effort though.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Call me crazy, but I wish that review scores went harder, or were more critical. It would be amazing to have a true 0-100 scale. I may not always agree with a magazine like Edge with it's individual scoring of particular games, but I respect that if they don't like something, they give it a truly low score instead of the Gamer-approved low score floor of "7/10".

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped buying games based on review scores years and years ago. GTA4 was my wakeup call, and I was a massive GTA3's fan at the time. I quickly realized how boring GTA4 was, and I still haven't recovered from that one. "Oscar worthy story"... those were the days huh?

I now use twitch, youtube uploads of people playing the game, not massive review sites that get sponsors, and their face in the game mind you (haha), but real customers. I wait until their honeymoon phase wear off, and look up some videos of them just playing the game to see if they are still enjoying it.

I really like Watch Dogs 2, but I'm still waiting to see if I should get Watch Dogs Legion. The Cyberpunk 2077 reception really put WDL very high up on my radar though (not even funny, especially with how fun hacking is in WD1 and WD2, also no first person, and WD has good controls especially with vehicles. Oh and you can fly in WD with the drone at least).

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't even really watch reviews anymore for the most part. Just gameplay videos, I'll be the judge. And when I do, it's usually from smaller youtubers who don't even bother with a score.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Contentious opinion, but if gamers were more media literate and behaved less like babies then we probably wouldn't even have to have this discussion. I think the vast majority of reviewers do a great job and that they're not the problem.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, get rid of them. Also, get rid of user reviews too. I think that's one thing EGS did right.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I got rid of them in favour of a quick rundown at the end of What I Loved/Liked/Disliked/Hated, so people who don't want to read can just skip there and see what they think from that.

I mean it's all subjective, so if I give a 4/5 to a game because I loved the story and characters enough that the grinding wasn't a problem for me, it might be a 2/5 for you because you HATE grinding.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to 2010 when this discussion was a hot topic. There are a lot of outlets who don't measure things in numbers anymore.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews and review scores become divisive here because they are consumed mostly by the people that need them the least. The only reason they are discussed or followed here is for validation.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
YnlKuhW.png

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
The problem are not the score, or rankings, the problem is that people are not using the review scores as a general guideline, but rather as a validation of a preconceived notion.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer simple wording over numbers as it's less binary, something like

• Absolutely Recommended - Everyone with x should pick this up
  • Highly Recommended - Most people will really enjoy this.
  • Very good - One for fans of the genre, may be difficult to get into for casual players
  • Good - Give it a try
  • Wait For A Bit - Often for games that have potential and are otherwise fun but need time to iron out issues
  • Average - You'll have an okay time but you also might not like it
  • Not Recommended
  • Avoid - For your Life Of Black Tiger type games

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I agree in an idealistic sense but realistically taking away review scores probably means less people clicking on reviews. Some people don't have any interest in the author's musings and just want the scoop on whether or not it's worth any money.

OP
OP
Kthulhu

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I volunteer to be a member of the Review Police and keep everyone in line.

But seriously though review scores are a shortcut for a mass audience to know whether to waste money or not. I don't want to necessarily read 5 pages for all 200 games that come out next year. If I see a game get some 9s that helps me know I should definitely find out more about it.

Reviews are for consumers, not fans.

If they're not for fans then why do fans seem to get the most "passionate" about them. Are death threats and circle jerks worth saving a few minutes of time every time a major game comes out?

hi from Ars Technica, where we have never used review scores—and covered why the trend began to change significantly in 2015:

arstechnica.com

The spotty death and eternal life of gaming review scores

Some outlets are dropping them, but the concept is likely to endure.

Thanks! I'll read it when I get the chance.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Individual scores are not that interesting though I do take note of the aggregate critic score as well as people here who usually have good taste.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Review scores aren't the problem, but the lack of using the entire range is. Edge do it best.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Funny how this type of thread/discussion always comes up with a game reviews higher or lower than expected and there's some controversy over it. It's also an exclusively internet thing because this shit didn't happen in the magazine days, even among friends at school who disagreed with a particular magazine.

That being said, I personally have always felt giving scores with any sort of arbitrary mark of a number, letter or even just a thumbs up/down was a disservice, for any sort of medium. Simply review the content and your take on it and why. That's it. Maybe provide some context referencing another game in a similar genre or design.

Also feel like reviews can and should be updated based on patches. It's simple enough to leave the original review in place and republish it with the addendum so that you're not rewriting an entire article, it's not going to go as missed by people who care and it helps keep at least some of the old reviews from poisoning a sale to a new customer if the patches have made any sort of impact (NMS).

Oct 26, 2017
Review scores work.

Current reviewers don't.

Also no industry standard on scoring is a Shame.

It's okay for ba game to get 6/10. That should mean it's better than average. A 9/10 should be amazing. A 10/10 should be amazing with no bugs at launch.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think scores are completely useless but I've thought for a long time that there's no need for granularity beyond a 5-point scale (possibly even 4). 100-point scales are utter nonsense, I defy anybody to tell me the appreciable difference between an 83 and an 84.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Reviews and review scores become divisive here because they are consumed mostly by the people that need them the least. The only reason they are discussed or followed here is for validation.
Yep. There is plenty of good games criticism but on the whole review scores are just used so people can justify their decisions as consumers.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about this today. I wish that more of the non-scored reviewers actually put scores on them because it feels like those get ignored/swept aside because they don't affect the metacritic score. Not saying they should just slap a score on there, but I wish those reviews got brought up more

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Iam one of those people who don't read stuff in full or detail for each and everything but need a tl;dr and a score as an indication. Reviews will be useless to me if that happens. I know this time, the scores don't reflect the console performance and the bugs in all versions of the game and that reflects a lot of the gaming market so more people are talking about it but PC users have been dealing with outstanding review for games that ran bad on PC, Batman: Arkham Knight, Horizon Zero Dawn as recent examples, for quite some time but despite that as someone who has faced scores not reflecting the game's performance issue in the past. I would say that scores should reflect the written content inside a review and the review should by all means take in how the game performs.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I actually think we should go the other way around and invest even further into scores by having a much more granular and detailed breakdown

I'd love to see a breakdown of the scores for each section of the game (Visuals, Audio, Gameplay, Value, Narative, Online) and then have sub-categories for said sections (ie: For Visuals there'd be Performance, Art Style, Visual Fidelity) which outline why that section got said score. The overall game score would be a weighted sum of the parts which is reflected on the genre (ie: A strategy game doesn't weight Visuals as much as Gameplay, while a Competitive Shooter has a heavy emphasis on Online). Even better is that individual categories could be updated to reflect Patches or Platforms specific differences, and users could tweak how the overall score is weighted based on what they personally care about (ie: The deaf can fully remove Audio from the score calculation).

Instead we're just moving towards binary Recomended or Not system and I find that a shame, but that's clearly just me

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Scores are useless when everyone is using different scales as to how they would rate a game.
Going to more subjective terms like Do Not Buy, Wait For Sale/Updates, Recommended, and Must Buy or something like that is way better than review scores.
Wait for sale/updates on console versions of half baked games would make them more focused on fixing their games etc. and have reviews revisited yearly. Imo. Been saying for a while review scores are useless.
hi from Ars Technica, where we have never used review scores—and covered why the trend began to change significantly in 2015:

arstechnica.com

The spotty death and eternal life of gaming review scores

Some outlets are dropping them, but the concept is likely to endure.
Yep this is how it should be.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Scores provide another tool for players to assess whether a game is for them, and I'm all for giving the reader as many tools as possible, even if they may not read my carefully-written essay. There is nothing inherently wrong with scores, it's the culture/obsession that's risen up around them. Fix the later, not a perfectly sensible thing like attaching a score to a review. Roger Ebert attached stars to all his reviews -- I'm not turning my nose up at it.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Review scores aren't going anywhere because video game reviews are consumer reports.

We need more non-scored video game criticism, but to allow that we also need to relax the expectation that games criticism is only valuable near release.

Reviews can live alongside this kind of criticism. Scored reviews should be updated periodically alongside the game, because video games (unlike most forms of media) are regularly updated after launch.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even given that there's no objective measurement of quality, summaries (be they numeric, one-sentence, whatever) have obvious utility and I don't see a compelling reason to get rid of them. Without them you'll still have chuds harassing over negative high-profile reviews, you'll still have posters with embarrassing takes, and studios that use them as criteria for bonuses have much, much deeper issues at their core.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Honestly, I don't think it would achieve much.

Reviewers are harassed even when they don't give scores, or give high scores but criticize something on the game. Gamers would still use positive/negative reviews as ammo.