• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you want 4K?

• Yes, I need that sweet sweet crispness.

Votes: 980 44.0%
  • At the screen size I'm at, I'm fine with 1080p or 1440p.

Votes: 1,245 56.0%

• Total voters

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I will always prioritize better effects, texture quality, and framerate over higher resolutions.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
All this jerking off over resolutions and framerates was always ridiculous. 1080p is fine and 60fps in some instances is necessary, but 30 is fine by me. It all looks the same to me from that point on.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer framerate to resolution, but that might change once I get cards that can do both consistently.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
All this jerking off over resolutions and framerates was always ridiculous. 1080p is fine and 60fps in some instances is necessary, but 30 is fine by me. It all looks the same to me from that point on.
If you don't see the difference in resolution between 1080p and 4K you sit too far away from the screen. Which is ok because you save a lot of money then.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
you can sort of see a difference between 4k and 1080p starting from 55 inch. But now you see tech companys going after 8k and to me thats just uhm a big waste of resources, unless you have a tv above 80 inches you arent going to see a difference.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
It's my last priority too. Of course the bigger res the better but I'd my priorites are:
1. fps
2. image quality (shaders, effects, draw distance, less pop up)
3. resolution above 1080p

I'd even prefer 720p 60fps than 1080p @30fps

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Play a game at 1080p and then play that same game at 4K on a 55" tv and tell me you don't see a difference.

You can, but most of the difference that is actually noticeable is also at 1440p. The jump between 1080p and 1440p is a lot more noticeable than going from 1440p to 2160p. As others have already said, right now 1440p is where to be if you actually care about performance with that visual boost.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
We have this conversation every time there's a standard screen resolution bump and some games can't hit it. For some, 720p was fine over 1080p. 900p was fine. I play enough native 4k games on a big screen that I find I can consistently tell when a game isn't native. I would prefer getting a native resolution and I think we'll only see that more going forward with next gen. I don't want to playing games at 1440p or something on a 4k screen.

Jul 26, 2019
It depends on screen size. At 24" , 1080p looks good enough. At 27" 1440p is more preferable. 4K is more required for large TVs.

Between crispness vs performance, performance always comes forward.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I'll want to go over 4K at the least. I think 1440p I would be fine with at minimum now, 1080p is still fine, but I notice it being more blurry now I'm more used to 4K now. I think we're definitely at diminishing returns for resolution now though, so have no interest in 8K at this point.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
I don't need it since i don't intend to have a tv. 1080p monitor is more than good enough for me right now, i tried some with higher resolutions and while it's noticeable i don't feel it's worth rushing to change mine until it gives it's last breath.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Me too but I'm also disappointed I'm the pricing of the HW va the performance.

If we are spending anywhere over 6-700, I expect the modern standard of resolution to be able to to at least so 60fps on almost every game.

I'll fully expect that to be a reality after this year as we are well into the 4k era to not have this realized even at the enthusiast level.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I don't want to go back from 1440p thats for sure. Haven't actually seen 4k live and not been an demo reel in a store, so hard to form an opinion about that.

Feb 10, 2018
I do notice and appreciate the clarity and crispness of 4k.
But 4k compared to 4k DLSS or 4kcb I think is somewhat of a placebo effect.
I think AA methods can kind of have a bigger impact on how the image looks, games like rdr2 and horizon ZD have that soft 90s cgi look to them where you cant make out fine edges.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
If 1080p is enough for you, your TV/Monitor is too small. Just double the size and you'll want more resolution.

Even 4k won't be enough for people when they start getting really, really large TVs. It's good for the 65-80" ones now, but when you upgrade to sizes much larger than that I'm sure 8k will be preferable too.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a 4K TV and likely still won't be able to get one until next year at the earliest, so I'm still fine with 1080p as that's the highest resolution I've seen/played at. I'm sure my mind may change when I do get a 4K but I'm comfortable where I'm at.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I play my PC on a 70" 4k set, but even then, if I can't run a game at 4k nearly maxed out (other than some ridiculously taxing settings that don't drastically impact the image), then I'd rather bump it down to maxed out super sampled 1080p or 1440p until my frame rate is a solid 60fps.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think 1080p is acceptable at 60fps or more. We really need to ditch 30fps.

720p though? Fuck that blurry ass mess.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
1440p will work for me for a long time and that was a pleasant upgrade from 1080p.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
2006: "Maybe it's just me, but going over 480p doesn't seem worth it"
I doubt anyone ever made that statement.

2013: "Maybe it's just me, but going over 720p doesn't seem worth it"
When people need DF to know the exact resolution the game runs at, it begs the question as to how much of this is entitlement, and how much of this is actual, perceived gap.

I'm sure most people today would still have a hard time distinguishing 900p/1080p, let alone 1080p/1440p. If it wasn't the case, DF would go bankrupt (I know they have funding issues, you know what I mean). Even if you only see DF as console war ammo, it exists because that shit is only "obvious" to a few of us.

I often play 720p games on consoles such as the Switch. I just don't care. And I have a big ass screen (projector). And I can tell you the kind of AA used by counting pixels. I just don't care as much as I care for the games. And yes, I know I prefer when a game is 1080p60 (like what I usually get on my PC). People are just way too focused on what is ultimately abstract numbers for them.

Art direction is still the main determining factor for a game's visual quality, not the amount of pixels churned. And people should remember that (and ask for framerate increases instead of resolution increases).

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt the same until I fired up my xbox one x on my new LG 55" C9 OLED, now there's simply no going back...games look incredible.

witcher 3 in either mode is a considerable step up above everything.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
4K is a questionable priority for a bunch of reasons. What gains you get varies depending on your screen size and distance from it. With my 55" TV at 3.something meters it's not that significant of an improvement and I'd rather the power budget be spent elsewhere. Better graphics or higher framerate. You get diminishing returns with resolution. Less so with a higher framerate (at least if we're talking the current console standard of 30) or new technology like raytracing. Also when it comes to monitors and PC, 4K is currently extremely expensive.

When I get a new monitor, 4K ups the price by 2-3x if you want variable refresh rate, and so I feel like it really, really absolutely will not be remotely worth it at all, and I'd very much rather prioritize other things such as VRR and saving a lot of money.
Also to maintain a decent framerate at 4K I'd probably have to go beyond broke and get a 2080Ti, which is stupidly expensive.

So yeah, 1440p feels like what most everyone should be aiming for at the moment.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely a diminishing return to as resolution standards jump up. You'll never gon see anything like 480p to 720p, or 720p to 1080p again. Speaking for 4KTV, 1080p content vs 4K content frankly isn't that noticeable unless you're actively looking for it on a huge screen. There's other, more important factors that go into the "quality" of the image, like HDR, contrast, color gamut, black levels, all that shit vs looking at one number and saying its bigger than another number.

To bring it back to games and how increased resolution requires several times more power, there's so many other things that go into the image. FoV, lighting, effects, textures, LOD, Shadow quality, ambient occlusion, tessellation, DoF, motion blur, film grain, V-sync, volumetric fog, lens flare, light shafts, bloom, anti-aliasing method and on and on and on. Then of course there's the actual framerate, which in an interactive medium is gonna make a huge difference. There's so many factors and, very often, compromises you have to go with, especially with resolution bumps eating up so much power.

Personally, I don't see myself upgrading from 1080p any time soon. At best, I'll downsample and maximize my PC settings to get the best image and gameplay experience I can.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Owning a Wii U and a Switch and a PS4 (and also a PS3) a 1080p tv with good blacks and low ms delay has been perfect this generation. Nothing ever looks "bad" when I put it on it, at worst it looks a little grainy. On a 4K a lot of my games would look really bleh.

Feb 8, 2018
1080p with higher frame rate, decent AA and better visual effects has always been a better option.

It's only on consoles where you see games run at medium/low and 25-30fps but at "4K". You never see people on PC customising their settings in that way because it makes no sense.

If graphic modes including 1080P options will be common next-gen it will be fun to see what 4K monitor/TV owners will pick. No one should be suprised by Sony pushing their brand and 4K. On a personal level I can't speak about the difference and one of the best way for people to get an idea is still by looking at actual devices side by side.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
You are right. Although I do enjoy a good 4K game with 30 frames and all.

A 1080p game with 60 frames is just super fun and easy on the eyes as well. LOVE it.

The Last of Us Remastered on PRO

Gears 4 on Xbox One X

God of War (Performance) on PRO

Rise and Shadow of Tomb Raider (Performance) on PRO and X

All of those games are more fun in my opinion and really gorgeous even in 1080p - Specially if you own an OLED. But even if you don't...

Give me 1080p with 60frames over ANYTHING right now.

WastedDeer

Oct 27, 2017
You're willing to settle for 30fps just for 4K? That's crazy.
Even iPad Pro can do 120fps gaming at this point and we console gamers are somehow still fine with 30fps? Are we just old and blind?

I get it, a lot us are old, we don't care about responsive gameplay as much as cinematic visuals, but a lot of young people do and they absolutely deserve more than just 30fps.

4K is worthless unless it's running at 60fps, the clarity you get in a smooth frame rate trumps all resolution.
That's why a 1440p 60fps game will always look better than 4K 30fps in motion.

4K is a waste, especially for console gaming. If you want 4K gaming you should get a 2080Ti (or soon 3080Ti) instead, not a PS5.
Leave consoles out of this resolution race, make games responsive and fun instead, aka 60fps.

If you want high framerates maybe you should buy a 2080Ti and leave consoles out of this fps race. 30fps is fine for me and I'm sure a lot of other people. If they decide to do 60fps then great but to me 4K is worth more.

Maybe it is my TV (upscaler or just the size) but 1080p or lower on my 4K 65" looks like ass with jaggies and shit everywhere. 4K, 1440p, and anything inbetween however looks clean on it.

Funny thing is when I had a 1080p tv and an X1 900p and 720p didnt bother me nearly as much.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
1440p is definitely the sweet spot. 4K was always a ridiculous buzzword standard to hit at the sacrifice of literally everything else. The worst part is they even sacrificed IQ to do it by having to use stuff like checkerboarding just to get that 4K on the box and then your image looks like smeared crap everytime you move the camera.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm staring to think some people play with their TV's just too far. For example a 55' should be less than 2 meters of distance.

Mind you I understand because your room is what is it, but it may be the reason why you don't see 4K as big of a jump.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
4k down sampled to 1080p makes a huge difference with image quality. 1080 on its own is fine depending on art style but can look muddy in comparison to 4k with others.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
To me when I hear 4K all I think is dev's making compromises to games just to be able and pull off 4K. If next gen is all about 4K with no graphical improvements and FPS I'll skip it and stay on my pc

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
To me when I hear 4K all I think is dev's making compromises to games just to be able and pull off 4K. If next gen is all about 4K with no graphical improvements and FPS I'll skip it and stay on my pc
If they made RDR2 run at 4K30 on an X, I have no doubts we will get 4K60 next gen with better visuals at times.

Not always, of course, but it should be possible.

I really hope options to select from different presets will be the norm though.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
2013: "Maybe it's just me, but going over 720p doesn't seem worth it"
2006: "Maybe it's just me, but going over 480p doesn't seem worth it"

Yes, I see the point here. But one factor that has to be taken into account is that the size of TVs and monitors does not grow to the same extent as the resolution.

For people with very large TVs, I imagine that going from 1080p to 4k should make a lot of difference, as well as people who are very close to the monitors. In my case, I use a 40 "FHD TV and I will migrate to a 43" 4K TV, and I would prefer better frames and IQ in 1080p instead of higher resolution.