• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they're disoriented at first but can wait around a year and hitch a ride when earth gets back.

latest

Oct 27, 2017
This would be dumb even for Weekend Era.

Also that's not how gravity works at all. You don't just float off into space because you're unaffected by gravity...

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Someone dies every second. Earth is leaving a breadcrumb trail of ghosts.

Can ghosts touch each other? Because I want to die at the same moment, in the same place, as someone I care about. That way we can hold hands as we fly into oblivion and never be alone! I'm sure someone will be up for a precisely-timed suicide pact.

where's the proof that gravity doesnt effects ghouls
There has to be a reason why we don't see ghosts everywhere. This theory explains it perfectly and it's all the proof I need.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
This would be dumb even for Weekend Era.

Also that's not how gravity works at all. You don't just float off into space because you're unaffected by gravity...
I don't think you're understanding gravity and space. If you were unaffected by gravity and couldn't make contact with physical matter, what would keep you on the earth? It's moving 70,000 miles an hour.

Oct 25, 2017
all distance and speed is relative purely by comparison to other things that are also not absolute
there is no such thing as absolute position because it all depends on your chosen reference, there is no stationary reference point in the universe to tell the true "speed" of any object
there is literally no such thing as stillness, the universe is defined by its passage through spacetime
but being unaffected by any form of momentum or gravity in the universe and being conjured at some theoretical universal standstill would make you the singular point of absolute spacetime in the universe which would probably be an even more exciting scientific discovery than the existence of ghosts to begin with

although if momentum is maintained and you are simply no longer subject to gravity, which would make slightly more sense, you would just go hurling into space at the same speed the earth was traveling in, just no longer curving around the sun. so if you're really lucky you might fly through uranus on your way out of the solar system and in a few million years maybe even the heart of the galaxy if you're lucky.

however the most likely result is that they are affected by gravity like everything else in the universe.
in which case, the earth's core is very very haunted

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Ghosts can float/fly, so it's not like they just float up and never stop. Then can move however they want.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you're understanding gravity and space. If you were unaffected by gravity and couldn't make contact with physical matter, what would keep you on the earth? It's moving 70,000 miles an hour.
I mean, I don't know how they're even moving but I assume without mass/matter they could probably match the speed/movement of the planet rotating and moving around the Sun if they wanted to and move as fast as they want. I dunno.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This idea supposes a lot of things about ghosts that we just don't have the scientific data for.

Ghosts are presumably not physical beings, but some sort of mental aura our bodies create that is released upon death (usually during trauma). They're basically our mind removed from our body, projecting an image of itself out to the world (it's gotta be a mental image of the self because otherwise why aren't all ghosts naked?).

Ghosts are also often linked to specific locations, so it's possible they're not tethered by gravity but by locations on the earth. They move in space in proximity to these beacon locations they lived in while alive. It's why you never see, like, Abe Lincoln's ghost in Norway.

If ghosts were a universal phenomena that happens to everyone and ghosts are untethered from gravity then it'd be really obvious they're real since the ghosts of everyone who died on the front of the planet would move through the earth and emerge underground on the back of the planet as it moved in its orbit around the sun. The earth would then have a comet like tail of ghosts that would be pretty obvious to everyone, and if the earth ever went back into the same exact spot as a prior rotation all those ghosts would phase through the atmosphere and crust again.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
What if ghosts are real but they live in the other ghost dimension. Like a zone just filled with ghosts and only come out when the feel like it.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
If they're unaffected by gravity, do they retain their inertial frame of reference from their time of death, or do they just lose all momentum immediately and freeze in place?

Because if it's the latter, it means ghosts effectively still aren't real since they're basically all going to end up outside of our observable universe before we can reasonably reach them with any forecastable technology. So, you can rest easy, OP!

Kozmo

Jan 5, 2018
Off-topic, but what's the deal with stuff that can "walk through walls"? So solid matter doesn't stop them, but then how are they not falling through floors? And if they are, why aren't they falling into the middle of the earth's core? Or does, by default, the power of phasing through matter also grant one the ability to levitate/fly? I'm looking at you Kitty Pryde!

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Ghosts better be real how the fuck else am I gonna see what PlayStation¤◇¡ graphics look like and what weird ass heroes we have running around in the MCU in the year 2480

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Ghosts can probably time travel since they have no mass

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
This idea supposes a lot of things about ghosts that we just don't have the scientific data for.

Ghosts are presumably not physical beings
Do we have any precedent for perceiving non-physical things, and said non physical things being able to interact with the physical world?

I posit that since we can see them and their effect on the world, ghosts ARE physical, CAN be killed, and we need to STOP running and START SHOOTING

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Ghosts are just matter out of phase of normal matter and energy. Still affected by gravity, but can easily push through other matter.

latest

derp.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If I've learned anything from Gundam it's that since I was born on Earth my soul must be weighed down by gravity...or something

DicZQIpVAAAUHFe.jpg

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
That's an even more depressing thought than being just a ghost in the world.

Yeah like what do they do all day? Everything you do throughout the day they can not do by definition.
No eating, no sleeping. No using a computer/phone. No playing videos games. No leaving the house. They don't have their own room. At least not one that's not been taken over by someone else. They can't even do boring stuff like read a book.

They just sit around and look at you doing you know what.
f47ce774e36ebbd584aaa79527ab2ee8.png

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
They don't go into space OP the reason you don't see them all over the place on land is because they come from the fucking sea smdh do some research duh

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I mean think through it. If ghosts can fly and go through walls... when you die you would probably just fall through everything no longer affected by gravity and matter and you would just shoot off into space with and there is zero chance you would be able to move at the same speed as earth so you're basically left to slowly wander in space forever. And that's assuming you maintain momentum when you die... if you don't you are instantly motionless and earth is moving away from you at millions of miles per hours or whatever.

So i think we're maybe just leaving space ghosts everywhere the planet goes. Can you imagine. They're all basically alone in space forever and without any point of reference and everything moves way too fast to actually reach any place.
You know...that is crazy.

But that sort of defines hell: complete isolation knowing that others (earth) are in a better place. I swear there are even some interpretations that hell is actually cold and not hot, like absence of everything. Probably can't see other ghosts, just sitting there without the ability to see far and probably can't even look at the sun for the short period of time (in perspective) that it is there. Only hope is a brief view of an asteroid or another body flies by briefly.

Cruel.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Counterpoint: there is no absolute frame of reference. There is no such thing as motionless objects in the universe. Sure, everything in the universe is moving relative to everything else, but it really doesn't matter to someone on Earth how fast our galaxy is moving.

Since there is no absolute frame of reference in this universe, and all non-accelerating frames of reference are equally valid, ghosts are free to pick whatever frame of reference they want to stick to. Presuming that ghosts are capable of moving at a reasonable speed in three dimensions, they should have no trouble keeping up with the rotation of the Earth.

The "frame of reference" is gravity. You're saying ghosts would be purposely moving against gravity at all times. Not just against the speed of the Earth's rotation but the dun's against the universe and so on.

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
I mean think through it. If ghosts can fly and go through walls... when you die you would probably just fall through everything no longer affected by gravity and matter and you would just shoot off into space with and there is zero chance you would be able to move at the same speed as earth so you're basically left to slowly wander in space forever. And that's assuming you maintain momentum when you die... if you don't you are instantly motionless and earth is moving away from you at millions of miles per hours or whatever.

So i think we're maybe just leaving space ghosts everywhere the planet goes. Can you imagine. They're all basically alone in space forever and without any point of reference and everything moves way too fast to actually reach any place.
This premise would make a really good sci-fi horror movie

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
The "frame of reference" is gravity. You're saying ghosts would be purposely moving against gravity at all times. Not just against the speed of the Earth's rotation but the dun's against the universe and so on.
Frame of reference is a technical term. You can think of it as the origin point and orientation for a coordinate system, the (0, 0, 0) on a 3D axis. A moving frame of reference is just as equally valid as a still frame of reference.

Now, for most normal purposes, you can use the surface of the Earth as a valid frame of reference. It isn't entirely free of acceleration obviously, but until you move fast enough or far enough (such as ballistic missile), it is hard to tell the difference. From the perspective of the Earth's surface, the Earth is still and its the rest of the universe that's moving around the Earth. So, why does the movement of the Sun around the Galaxy or Galaxies relative to each other have any bearing on the ghost?

Also, as a side note, if ghosts are unaffected by gravity, that means that they have zero mass. That means that they should be moving at the speed of light. So keeping up with any of the Earth's movements should be easy.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
but can you breathe in a ghost

and if so, if i were trapped in a vat of ghost vapor would that suffocate me

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I think what happens when we die is our ghost gets pulled to the other side of the universe by some property of quantum entanglement we don't understand and we just blink into existence out there in the darkness millions of years in the future in a black, silent, lonely void from which we can never escape

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
you say "trapped" like it's a bad thing. they serve honorably, helping to power our magnetosphere.

which is, coincidentally, also how they levitate, via magnets.
Right, until volcanos launch them into the atmosphere and our bodies. Get out of my body, T̶h̶e̶t̶a̶n̶s̶ ghosts!